As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Life is Feudal] Medieval themed Sandbox MMO *Alpha on Steam now*

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    This game is perfectly set to weed out peeps who just want free shit.

Oh, our kingdom? You want in? Sure. Listen, hey, before we open this gate, see that hill over there? Yeah, I'm gonna need you to build a road across it, and some walls.

See you when you understand terraforming.

Or just as punishment.

Listen, you fucked up the raid, we didn't get any chickens from their coop. I'm gonna need you to start excavating a new silver mine for us.

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    My buddies and I raided a place again... it's on the other side of the map. We may or may not have taken their loom, tanning racks, and workbench and walked them all the way back to our base for 45 minutes.

We can't make rope yet, and even though it may have been faster to skill up and make those things ourselves, we all agree it was worth it =P

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    This game is perfectly set to weed out peeps who just want free shit.

Oh, our kingdom? You want in? Sure. Listen, hey, before we open this gate, see that hill over there? Yeah, I'm gonna need you to build a road across it, and some walls.

See you when you understand terraforming.
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Or just as punishment.

Listen, you fucked up the raid, we didn't get any chickens from their coop. I'm gonna need you to start excavating a new silver mine for us.

This is the kind of shit I'd do for fun.

• XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Good to see a restart fixed that wall problem @Doc.

I started farming last night, had to shut her down too soon tho, was getting droopy faced from lack of sleep.

This weekend is ALL the gaming.

One thing Id recommend is to pull our weapons into your own inventory if your last on, to act as a "bank". Otherwise some shady dudes are going to loot them.

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Damn shady dudes...

And wolves, wolves are a pain in the butt.

Skunty on
    I think the worst part of wolves is the horrible gnawing sound they make when they chew on you after knocking your newb butt down.

So, @Doc. I need to bind the coops if I'm going to raise my animal lore high enough to breed chickens.

Also, more coops, and I need snares to catch me some wild game.

I started planting in our oblong shaped farm haha.

I have another friend coming to join our group.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    That's great @XOCentric‌! So, since it takes forever and a week to level terrain and build walls, do we want to try to build a complete walled-off commune/compound/fortress, or just wall off the house, loot piles and essential infrastructure? Maybe a motte-and-bailey style fortification? I'm on mobile so it'd a pain to link images but I'm sure we all know what I'm talking about (or can run a simple Google search)

The issue I'm seeing is: who owns the gate, if we build one? There aren't guilds yet, so who has permission to open/close gates?

I vote for a walled in commune (farm plots and houses with a tower to defend in case we get overrun). That way we are self sufficient. We might have to lay out a perimeter if we want all the structures we need inside.

Since the server increased the skill cap to 850, we can multi class a bit. I don't mind doing terraforming on top of farming.

XOCentric wrote: »
    The issue I'm seeing is: who owns the gate, if we build one? There aren't guilds yet, so who has permission to open/close gates?

I suppose we could build as many gates as we have people.... or have one gate but a means to jump out of the fort to leave but you have to recall to the house to get back in

From my limited experience, you will need a gate per person.

Also, you may be better off building a house with a door instead of a wall first. They are completely inaccessible, except to the person who claims it, so you can put all your items in there and be completely secure. As far as I can tell any ways. The downside there is it'll be one person claiming it though, so a house per person.

For walls, you're still capable of tunneling under or building over them. In fact, while I haven't put it to use and it's pretty cheesy so I'm debating if I even would, you can just float logs when you place them and make a step ladder over a wall, and just mario bros your way in. Of course, you might end up stuck on the inside I reckon =P

Something you can do to secure your stuff in the meantime, besides logging out with it, is to just bury a bag. I did this by accident when making my wall perimeter, but I have a bag that's just barely exposed and I really doubt anyone would find it. I've been putting a log over it, but you could also just bury it completely then dig it up. You can also log off while carrying something on your back, so I suggest picking up your work bench or loom or whatever valuable things you got in case some bozos decide to take your stuff on a 45 minute walk =P

Hey @Ash of Yew‌, what server are you on? Our setup right now isn't bad, per se, but we're hurting for people and all our buildings and things are spread out all over (and the ground is, well, rolling, to say the least). Maybe our village people can join your village people and we can get a proper fortress/theft/murder clan going...
    ...and we can stay at the YMCA.

I think the worst part of wolves is the horrible gnawing sound they make when they chew on you after knocking your newb butt down.

So, @Doc. I need to bind the coops if I'm going to raise my animal lore high enough to breed chickens.

Also, more coops, and I need snares to catch me some wild game.

I started planting in our oblong shaped farm haha.

Excellent, those fences were built just to up my construction skill, but I figured it could be a small farm.

Bind the coops when you can, I just claimed them because noone else was there to do it when I built them.

m!ttens wrote: »
    Hey @Ash of Yew‌, what server are you on? Our setup right now isn't bad, per se, but we're hurting for people and all our buildings and things are spread out all over (and the ground is, well, rolling, to say the least). Maybe our village people can join your village people and we can get a proper fortress/theft/murder clan going...

The buildings a spread out to have room in between for other structures if needed. Like thirty coops or however many are needed.

edited September 2014

I vote for a walled in commune (farm plots and houses with a tower to defend in case we get overrun). That way we are self sufficient. We might have to lay out a perimeter if we want all the structures we need inside.

Since the server increased the skill cap to 850, we can multi class a bit. I don't mind doing terraforming on top of farming.

Ideally, we'd have multiple gates allowing easy access to different sides (One that lets you easily get to the mine, one towards the back so I can access the forest quickly etc.). Each gate would be owned by who needs to use that side the most.

@XOCentric how many more coops do you need? I've got another two built.

Docshifty on

I'm sorry but we potentially have quite a few people that are going to join us and I just don't really want to have too big of a group, because in my experience voice coms become a real mess after like even 6 people. And having some people in mumble and some not leads to a bit of a headache too.

If the situation ever changes though I'll let you guys know. If for some reason I end up alone I'd be happy to join you guys too.

Also, I don't want to jump to conclusions but there's some really shady dudes on our server right now. Like, even though we've been slacking on farming which is the only thing holding us up from actual swords, we've been slowly working on it since we started. Yet this small group of I think 2 people, seemingly overnight (their base wasn't there late last night) have a row of tanning racks/tubs and just a mass production of leather and weapons going on. They killed a couple of my friends, their single guy was decked out in full armor and 2h sword, and doing unit formation stuff by himself (something I couldn't get to work even in a group).

I don't wanna go straight to calling them hackers or dupers, but I'm super skeptical. I've also heard there's a bug with making leather right now where it just doesn't even work the majority of the time.

These guys happen to live super close to us too, it's a drag.

I'm not sure what to think of these guys. It's entirely possible they had characters trained up in all these skills and were just laying low waiting for the patch to hit or whatever and then went to town this morning and did all this crap in a few hours, but I just find it incredibly dubious.

They claim they got all their stuff from raiding people, but my buddies and I have been doing our share of raiding and not getting any where near the amount of resources they would have needed for what two of them accomplished in a single morning. As far as we could tell, the most advanced dudes were on the other side of the map. These guys also talk a ton of shit in the chat, and I don't think they are the types who could have kept their mouths shut over the last few days if they had been building characters in preparation for this.

It's all just too fishy.

I am going to wreck their base every chance I get though, and I'm also going to feed the guy naked characters at some point to get his alignment super low for the moment when I do get weapons to actually kill him. Reminds me of UO and turning people red then statting them =P

Sorry, I don't mean to spam the thread with my stories but an update on the situation with these dudes is:

They have more guys than I thought, like 4 or 5. I tossed all their drying racks and tubs into the ocean, around the same time they located my own base (it was very close, honestly I was surprised they didn't find it sooner). I told them they should probably move because I was going to wreck their stuff every day, they told me they were going to move into my base...

Now, there's not much I can do about that and while it's sorta a bummer, it's not the worst thing. If they go through with it (which after a few hour break on my part they've shown no actual movement to do so) then I will still know where they live, and my group can buckle down in a whole new area of the map and focus on the important stuff. We essentially have all the skills we need to make a house that can't be looted, as well as focus on the whole leather/rope thing. With actual weapons I think we have a chance against these guys. I'm a bit less skeptical about them cheating, though I do find them very shady still.

These dudes aint gonna beat me, in fact, this is the exact kinda feud I play open pvp games for. A meaningful rivalry can be a lot of fun!

edited September 2014
    Meanwhile, in Wanglandia, the Great Wall continues to rise.

Because you can't spell 'solution' without 'isolation'... (what?).

Our philosophy is: You can't kill what you can't find. We have purposely terraformed our local area to conceal our commune from view, unless you stumble right on top of it. If you spread Forest Soil everywhere you can plant trees anywhere, both providing you with endless lumber, and making a purpose built screen.

**For the hangers-on in the wings** If you were waiting for the crashes to die down, and a bit more to be implemented, I'd recommend picking this up. The Devs are really productive in terms of rolling out updates, and they have fixed a lot of the crashing.

I played for 8hrs last night and the server shit out once. This time last week you couldn't play for more than 20min without either the client or the server taking a dive. So, take that as you will.

We need more people helping in Wanglandia!

XOCentric on
    Time to make a lumberjack/warrior and get our clearcut on. Once we get our wall up, I'd love to search out that big village and crack some skulls. I'm assuming characters are on a server basis, and we can't just make viking warriors that roam from server to server, looting and pillaging, correct?

Time to make a lumberjack/warrior and get our clearcut on. Once we get our wall up, I'd love to search out that big village and crack some skulls. I'm assuming characters are on a server basis, and we can't just make viking warriors that roam from server to server, looting and pillaging, correct?

Yeah your character is tied to the server ruleset/ server. Otherwise we could crack open on a 3000pts server then roll into a vanilla map and become demi-gods.

Clearcut is anathema to what we are doing right now. We are methodically harvesting, cutting, and replanting trees to create a Mirkwood-esque forest around our village.

So rope is: raw flax -> tanning tub -> spinning wheel -> weaver's toolkit -> rope!

I am at spinning wheel, but I can't make that, or the weavers toolkit.

Wanglandians!!! ASSEMBLE!!!

I can make you a toolkit if you can provide me handles

edited September 2014
    We've been scouted, just for your guys info. They were either raw newbies, or naked dudes just running around the island looking for stuff to steal.

Probably column B.

Pri one now is to get that palisade up and finished, as well as housing.

I am producing a large plot of flax for us, so rope production will be underway shortly if we can get a wheel and those tools.

I can also make bone glue.

Fun fact: 10 x Linen Rope = 50 x Hanks of Linen (made with spinning wheel) = 250 x Flax Fibers (Made by soaking 250 x Flax Stem at the rate of 10x per tub in tanning tub for 1hrs) = 32 tiles of flax producing a perfect yield.

I think the walls will be up before we get one house built :S.

XOCentric on
    So, it was very likely admin abuse and now I'm soured on the whole deal. This is the same sort of thing that plagues the dayz mod, and the result of random people hosting servers. I think I'm gonna take a break from the game for a bit.

It was bluefangsolutions dallas #8 btw.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Come play with us! We need more members of Wanglandia!

We responded to a theft of some minor items by clear cutting a grid square and surrounding our compound with a wall... in one night.

This game is really fun for what it is, and the potential for large scale fun is only limited by the player cap. Once the MMO goes live (many months down the road), this game will be awesome in terms of scope.

edited September 2014
    So, in order to make our gate we need those 5 locks and in order to make those, we need:

Bloomery
    200 x Rock (easy)
    8 x Metal sheet (I can make these no problem)
    20 x Mortar (4 flux, 40 sand, 8 rock)
    10 x Hardwood billet (easy)
    4 x Thin leather (hare hides, dried, then soaked)

Steel Ingots
    4 x Iron Bars
    24 x flux

The ingots can then be melted down into bars, yielding 5 bars for one ingot. The locks require 2 steel bars each. Making bars directly seems... unwise, since you need 6 flux / bar instead of 2.4 flux/bar when you make ingots first then convert.

To make flux, I need to find Dulcis Radix Dulcis_radix.png?version=c30fffeb085e7371d88832999c2e01b5 and Pungentibus Chorea Pungentibus_chorea.png?version=19cebb789f3a701d7301aebe594a67df so please keep your eyes peeled for those when harvesting!

EDIT: Good job to our Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune for doing some quality work tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAaWvVFERVA#t=22

m!ttens on
    edited September 2014
    My buddy ended up just renting a server, hopefully some strangers populate it.

You guys are welcome of course, but I can't guarantee we won't just get bored and quit paying for it in a month =P
    You guys sound like you got a good thing going any ways

173.208.108.106:28650 is the IP though

Also, I am exacting revenge on these bozos on our original server, one last time. Dug tunnels in their big flattened chunk of land that they were farming on and quite clearly going to eventually build something huge on. Also put some tunnels in their clay deposit. All the excess dirt from said tunneling I piled into the middle of their village, creating a ridge through their streets, under which I also placed every item I could find into a bag first. I also sunk every log I could find into the ground.

Now to chop down all their trees of their tree farm and call it a night.

I thought I was taking a break from this game... :[
    sTxy5o2.png
    NL6L0ls.png
    RE1UGq5.png

You know those super annoying piles of dirt where you just slide off either side, and they're a pain to jump on to...?
    GGBrDcm.png
    I hope they like living on that sorta thing.

Ash of Yew on
    edited September 2014
    Help help I'm being repressed!

So, beat a thief to death with a wooden shovel for wandering through our camp trying to steal shit. Once you understand range and attacks you can pummel someone with impunity. I owe my success to many, many hours of Mount and Blade.

Dodging and managing stamina are pretty important.

XOCentric on
    I'm replanting inside our walls. We've still got a few sections to go but the trees are so far away I'm gonna get the next generation set up before I finish it.

@Skunty the game crashed as I was typing stuff out for you. Anyways, add the other wangs on steam on you can use the friends list to join the server if one of us is connected. It's easier than scrolling through the list every time.

Also, if you have skype, we usually have a call going while playing to help with coordinating efforts and reacting to thieves.

Sorry for keeping all our steel production stuff on my person. 11 flux and 20 mortar lost due to that flock of fucking geese :|

Hopefully we can get that gate up tomorrow. I'm just too pissed to keep playing tonight

We need to set times to log in together until that gate is up. They are hitting us every couple of hours because they know we are almost walled in. If they manage to get a gate built on our walls that's checkmate for our compound.

fuck.

Need more PA sword arms.

So that group is due north of us. It's not the mini camp we thought, but they have an almost walled in camp of their own. They have two full armor guys on patrol while others work. They are doing a neat laned highway of sapplings, I think I'm going to take a hatchet to them later tonight to annoy them if I can.

So, I ran into that base to see what was up. They murdered me on sight. I ran back for shits and giggles because I spawned right next to it by the water, and got murdered again. I got another close spawn, so I wandered back over and stood at their gate as they hacked at me, trying to type out a "I just want a hug" message. Took a break for a bit, got dinner, watched a movie then started plinking at them with a sling and jumping them when they went alone into the woods here and there. Most of them would give chase for a while.

One of them started yelling obscenities over voice coms again, so I typed in chat that they were adorable. Oh dear god did they get rustled up by that. Apparently I was griefing them by letting them kill me over and over. So while we were going back and forth in chat, I was just sitting in one of their mine shafts, maybe 20 squares from their base entrance. Took them a solid 5-10 minutes to notice me there, then they all piled in front to pin me in, and the one guy just starts going off in voice coms, using pretty much every cliched Call of Duty dudebro insult.

He actually, legitimately kept calling me bro. Over. And over. I felt a little bad because I honestly started laughing at him for it. Apparently I'm getting banned tomorrow, so heads up, I dumped everything I had on me in case their admin buddy follows through blindly. And they were e-sleuthing my Steam account, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are watching this thread now FYI.

Dear other PA friends: Don't take the Gandhi tactic on that server. It is an exploit to not reciprocate violence and let them murder you!

• SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    Well if they are watching this thread they'll hate this:

Their camp from a height, they've planted a lot of trees...
    fort.jpg

A view including the location on map while I hid in a tree stump:
    fortmap.jpg

Another view of their camp after the server crashed:
    fort%2Bangle.jpg

Here's a little something to accompany our efforts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1ircqQklo

edited September 2014
    @Ash - think we could enlist your groups assistance in running interference on these clowns for a day or two? Just a friendly PA to PA request. You would be gaining the gratitude of the most industrious Anarcho-syndicalist commune you've ever met.

Seriously, we are almost sociopathic in our production efforts.

XOCentric on