As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

19596979899101»

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for my local sprint store to have some 6's in. Trading in my 5 will net me all of what I need to upgrade early and change my plan so I'm saving like $18 a month.

Thanks, Sprint.

Yeah, sprint's having a hellacious special on the iphone buybacks. It's a minimum $200 credit for any older model of iphone put towards an iphone 6

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    on att's next plan it saved me money to upgrade to the 6

i was like uh....ok???

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for my local sprint store to have some 6's in. Trading in my 5 will net me all of what I need to upgrade early and change my plan so I'm saving like $18 a month.

Thanks, Sprint.

Yeah, sprint's having a hellacious special on the iphone buybacks. It's a minimum $200 credit for any older model of iphone put towards an iphone 6

Exactly! I wish they had an option to check store inventory online. I don't want to call them every morning, but I'm going to anyway.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    att next and their high trade in values is a great program. if you keep your phone in good condition, you can basically get a phone every year for nothing*

the monthly fee of course, which is minor

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    on att's next plan it saved me money to upgrade to the 6

I was blown away when I upgraded early to my m8. I'm paying $20/mo less than I was before I upgraded and my data cap was raised from 2gb per line (4gb total) to 10gb shared!

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I need to look at my plan to see if I can do any better, I'm positive I can

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I was going to go with a prepaid plan, but now I'm thinking T-Mobile. Their plans are definitely the cheapest overall. 3GB LTE + unlimited 3G/talk/text for $60 a month is easily the best single-device, single-line plan. AT&T is $95 for 4GB shared data, Verizon is $90 for 3GB.

I would like to get in on that Verizon network but it isn't worth my $30/month as far as I can see.

This whole shopping for a new cell phone plan thing has been frustrating and I only have a couple more weeks to make up my mind.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Okay I got a backup phone galaxy s4 until my note 4 arrives. Who can point me to a guide on android basics/customizing?

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Hey uh tech thread serious question but

If I wanted to switch back to a non-smartphone are there any properly good options on the market anymore? Or anything that's not technically on the market but awesome and readily available secondhand? I'm kinda weary of this smartphone thing after a few years.

woops I hadn't realized that this thread was on page 101 but carry on

i don't even know how to quantify what a good non smartphone would be

it would just be a phone, it would work and it would be fine

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    There are still some decent Nokia dumbphones around. Some of them also have basic music players and internet browsers on them, so if you ever find yourself needing some of those smartphone features, you're not entirely missing out.

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Hey uh tech thread serious question but

If I wanted to switch back to a non-smartphone are there any properly good options on the market anymore? Or anything that's not technically on the market but awesome and readily available secondhand? I'm kinda weary of this smartphone thing after a few years.

Nokia made (before the Microsoft buyout) a bunch of nice "feature phones" on their Asha line that are really common in not-US countries, but I don't know how available/usable they are in the US (where I am assuming you're from).

Most companies are working towards creating cheap smart phones now though.

My general advice to people that want a good feature phone but are now limited in options is to move to Windows Phone. You won't have access to all the apps that iPhone and Android users have, but you probably aren't looking for them anyway. The cheap hardware runs the basics really smoothly and you are going to have a good amount of OS software support from MS. Just getting a Nokia 635 or similar spec phone is going to do more than most feature phones now, but you'll be out of the spec arms race of Android and the cost of iPhones. Plus you can get cheap pay-as-you-go plans for cheap Windows Phones.

Langly wrote: »
    i don't even know how to quantify what a good non smartphone would be

it would just be a phone, it would work and it would be fine

Reliable hardware, OS that isn't shit, decent battery life. That sounds about like what I need.

Gonna see how many Nokia bricks are still available, then, I guess

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The real question I guess is why do you want to switch?

Blake T wrote: »
    The real question I guess is why do you want to switch?

Because smartphones, in my hands, burn battery and productivity like a broken stove. Plus my Nexus 4 is nearly busted and I don't feel like replacing it when it dies.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Honestly, old phones lasted that long because you didn't use the screen for nearly as much time.

You could always look at picking up an android phone and get a friend to install parental locks for like phone calls,texts and Maps for you.

The s5 and the HTC one both have battery life extend modes.

Yeah, the m8's "Extreme Battery Saver Mode" is comical. You can call, text, look at your clock/calendar, access email, and use your calculator.

lkvwkxr.png

I've never tested it past a few hours but in this mode 4% battery will last 5+hours. It's crazy.

I can understand using it when you know you are going to be away from a charger for a few days but I don't see anyone buying this top-of-the-line smartphone and then not ever using it for any other features.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    That feature would absolutely be an asset for me.

The ability to say "ok, be a slightly dumber phone until I plug you back in" would be fantastic. The only things I'll really need my phone to save its battery for when it's dying is make calls and text.

MrMonroe on
    Yeah you can enable it to switch over automatically when the phone hits a certain percentage. It's very useful.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    It's certainly useful, but I suspect not quite what for Mortal Sky is after.

edited September 2014
    If your local carrier doesn't have any Nokia phones anymore I've never had a bad experience with any LG feature phones. They're very stable and well put-together.

Oh hey, look! reviews: http://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/basic/

TankHammer on
This discussion has been closed.