As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The combat system seems to take a lot of cues from Neptuna Victory/Rebirth's combat system, where you have enemies with guard meters, X is break, Square is a power attack and Triangle is a rush and/or area attack.

And as mentioned earlier, you'll want to crank it up to Veteran if you're anywhere competent with RPGs, as the game is on the easy side.

Delta's look of absolute disdain during the recipe crafting dance is priceless.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I figure it will take me another day or so to finish up Qoga.

In the meantime, where can I find the best story summary of Ciel Nosurge that covers all the details?

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

In the meantime, where can I find the best story summary of Ciel Nosurge that covers all the details?

http://pastebin.com/egW4rhTK

That's what I read, takes around 30 minutes and gives a good short version of the whole Ciel Nosurge story.

wbee62u815wj.png
    It should also be mentioned that the game seems to be trying to give a rough summary of what happened before Ar Nosurge through the brief intro and the fact that Delta can't remember anything prior to him waking up from stasis a few years ago. I don't know how GOOD of an explanation it will be, so reading the link above will give you a good idea of what to expect.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Quiotu wrote: »

http://pastebin.com/egW4rhTK

That's what I read, takes around 30 minutes and gives a good short version of the whole Ciel Nosurge story.

Thanks for the link. Oddly enough pastebin is blocked for me at work, but I can get to the full story summary linked in the pastebin (using my phone to get the link).

So, full story for me! :D

Actually just ended up reading the pastebin on my phone. Interesting stuff. It's a damn shame we won't get Ciel Nosurge in English :(

A question about the end of Ciel and the beginning of Ar Nosurge
    If I read that right Ion ended up being in her own Cosmosphere that whole time, right? So goes to move the terminal to the robot and that is where Ciel ends.

Does Ar pick up with her hooking up to the robot and still in her Cosmosphere?

Actually just ended up reading the pastebin on my phone. Interesting stuff. It's a damn shame we won't get Ciel Nosurge in English :(

If I read that right Ion ended up being in her own Cosmosphere that whole time, right? So goes to move the terminal to the robot and that is where Ciel ends.

Not really a spoiler but yeah, the robot Earthes is the same receiver from Ciel, and is basically you. At the end she remarks there's no guarantee she'll contact the same person, so she doesn't act like she knows you, unless you have Ciel save data.

wbee62u815wj.png

Not really a spoiler but yeah, the robot Earthes is the same receiver from Ciel, and is basically you. At the end she remarks there's no guarantee she'll contact the same person, so she doesn't act like she knows you, unless you have Ciel save data.

So do you start Ar Nosurge still trapped in her head? Did they ever say who the other woman there was? Or is that dealt with in ArNo?

edited September 2014

So do you start Ar Nosurge still trapped in her head? Did they ever say who the other woman there was? Or is that dealt with in ArNo?

Well, I haven't Zapped to her story yet, so I'm not sure. I'm certain it starts with her booting up Earthes though, because that's one of the scenes KT America showed off already in a trailer. The game starts with Casty and Delta (Tabou in Ciel, or 'Turbo' in the Ar flashbacks) a few years after their 5000 year sleep.

I don't think they've discussed who the lady with Ion is in her CS, but I would have to assume it's Nero, since it's the only personality that went with Ion.

I'm maybe... 3 or so hours into Ar Nosurge, so I can't exactly give you definitive answers on what's explained or not yet. :)

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png

Well, I haven't Zapped to her story yet, so I'm not sure. I'm certain it starts with her booting up Earthes though, because that's one of the scenes KT America showed off already in a trailer. The game starts with Casty and Delta (Tabou in Ciel, or 'Turbo' in the Ar flashbacks) a few years after their 5000 year sleep.

I don't think they've discussed who the lady with Ion is in her CS, but I would have to assume it's Nero, since it's the only personality that went with Ion.

I'm maybe... 3 or so hours into Ar Nosurge, so I can't exactly give you definitive answers on what's explained or not yet. :)

Mostly just making sure I didn't miss anything in my readthru. Anything that gets answered in ArNo I'm happy just knowing it's brought up.

Can't wait to get started on it. Just have to finish up Qoga first!

It's a little more polarized than that. Apparently if you have Ciel save data it's more explicit that you are, but if you don't(i.e. the US players typically would not), you're basically treated as just some robot created by Ion to help her escape and Ciel NoSurge is glossed over almost entirely. Personally I'm somewhat conflicted by this direction, but if they both end up getting localized for the Vita it won't be that big of a deal in the long term.

Finished Qoga last night and got Ar Nosurge installed. I should be able to start it up tonight :D

Finished Qoga last night and got Ar Nosurge installed. I should be able to start it up tonight :D

Enjoy the Origa song at the beginning when they briefly sum up Ciel. One of my favorites of the new game.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Soooooooooooooooooooooo

Soundtracks. Import only or can we get them in the US?

Been a long time since I imported Japanese music. Damn you Ar Tonelico!

Far as I'm aware the only soundtracks the west ever got were with the limited editions that were sold at launch.

edited September 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Far as I'm aware the only soundtracks the west ever got were with the limited editions that were sold at launch.

So import. Gotcha.

I seem to remember playasia.com being a good place to order from. That still the case? I would prefer non-bootleg soundtracks (I don't know if bootlegs are still as prevalent as they used to be).

Edit: Maybe it's finally time to start using iTunes. Reading up on things Japan has it's own version of iTunes, and you can get iTune cards so you don't need a Japanese credit card. hhuumm.

Bonepart on
    edited September 2014

So import. Gotcha.

I seem to remember playasia.com being a good place to order from. That still the case? I would prefer non-bootleg soundtracks (I don't know if bootlegs are still as prevalent as they used to be).

Edit: Maybe it's finally time to start using iTunes. Reading up on things Japan has it's own version of iTunes, and you can get iTune cards so you don't need a Japanese credit card. hhuumm.

The soundtracks have been out of circulation for a while now. You can look, but outside EBay there's not much chance of finding them, and if you want the concerto discs (which you do), get ready to spend $40 each for those.

I don't usually support bootlegging, but then again the copyright issues for those songs to get from Japan to the US is staggering. I bootlegged, and I don't feel bad about it... your options are incredibly limited.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Memory loss. I'm not a fan, but I suppose it has it's uses.

Like giving reason to tell the Yanks what happened before the amnesia...

wbee62u815wj.png

I do think they go a little too far to disassociate the game from its prequel for those that haven't played Ciel, but I've still seen much worse. (Chrono Cross)

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I have 4 places where I normally grab my JPN CDs from. In no particular order, AmiAmi, PlayAsia, CDJapan and Amazon.co.jp. Yes, Amazon.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    That's it.

This weekend I'm starting up a new playthrough of Melody of Elemia.

Stream it? Y/N

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited September 2014
    Ianator wrote: »
    That's it.

This weekend I'm starting up a new playthrough of Melody of Elemia.

Stream it? Y/N

Don't know how long I'd be able to watch, but I'd check it out.

Just to hear Snazzin Smith's horrible voice again.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Takel wrote: »
    I have 4 places where I normally grab my JPN CDs from. In no particular order, AmiAmi, PlayAsia, CDJapan and Amazon.co.jp. Yes, Amazon.

CDJapan! I used to order from there. Forgot all about them.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Well, part of the way into Phase 2, and loving it so far. Definitely has that feel of "just a few more dive points/items to synthesize/etc" that I got from the first two games.

Unless things really go to hell from here on out, I can definitely say that at the very least it is better than 3. Dunno if it'll be my favorite in the series, but it may pull off second favorite.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    And Ar Tonelico 3 platinum trophy GET! Finally got that last ending and can move on without any regrets...

wbee62u815wj.png
    Loving Ar Nosurge so far.

Combat is fast and fun. On the easy side, but that's ok with me. I'm here for the story and setting, and Sci-Fi themes and spaceships push my buttons.

Really seems like they took the mechanics and refined them. Diving is awesome, purification is good.

Party members are almost a little TO chatty in the field, but that is ok. Shop Events go a little nuts, at least in the beginning.

edited September 2014
    What about the shop dancing, you ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5zvzTcqrE

Bonepart on
    edited September 2014

Combat is fast and fun. On the easy side, but that's ok with me. I'm here for the story and setting, and Sci-Fi themes and spaceships push my buttons.

Really seems like they took the mechanics and refined them. Diving is awesome, purification is good.

Party members are almost a little TO chatty in the field, but that is ok. Shop Events go a little nuts, at least in the beginning.

Turn it up to Veteran for trash enemies and turn it down for bosses. That seems to give the appropriate difficulty curve.

I'm still kind of face-slamming against bosses in Veteran regardless, but the difficulty is so out of whack for bosses in Veteran that you basically need to use Barrier Recovery items every turn just to survive even while I'm mowing down trash like a wheat thresher.

Donnicton on
    edited September 2014

Turn it up to Veteran for trash enemies and turn it down for bosses. That seems to give the appropriate difficulty curve.

I'm still kind of face-slamming against bosses in Veteran regardless, but the difficulty is so out of whack for bosses in Veteran that you basically need to use Barrier Recovery items every turn just to survive even while I'm mowing down trash like a wheat thresher.

I have it on hard and I'm fine with leaving it there. Over 6 hours in now, and a good bit of that has been in the shops. :D

Edit: Make that 9+ hours. Exhausted the shop events from Sarly, but still getting them with Nay. Of course, when you get a Lv 4 talk topic from doing so (and you are still in Lv 2) it's time to give the events a rest!

Speaking of talk topics. I've gotten every Lv 1 topic for Cass except the first one on the second row. Anyone gotten that one? It just something that shows up later?

I just defeated
    Zill and am about to go to the Flask Sea.

Bonepart on
    Apparently word's going around that there's a bug with TxBIOS equipment, where harmonics level 1 will activate BIOS items equipped to level 2, level 2 harmonics will activate level 3 equipped BIOS, and level 3 -> level 4 equipped. BIOS items equipped to level 1 will never activate. I've played around with it a bit and it seems like this really is the case.

I have no idea if they're going to patch it, but for now keep in mind that you'll want to keep your BIOS items equipped for level 2 or higher, don't bother equipping anything to level 1.

There needs to be more games with couples banter like Earthes and Ion have. Some of the cutscenes are way too hilarious and adorable without going into anime tropeville. I actually think their interactions make the Delta/Cass side of the story a little more boring as a result.

Additionally, once you get to the point where Nay will craft for Earthes/Ion, you're going to want to re-craft all of the recipes you've already made with Delta/Cass, as there are additional cutscenes between Earthes/Ion/Nay for each of these items. For example, Nay will weave a whole back story around the origins of the "curse of Akiko Sarumi" when you first craft the snack with Delta/Cass, but when you craft it again with Earthes/Ion she'll invent an entirely different origin for the curse.

It always gets on my nerves when writers keep using the same villains over and over.

Zill tricked them into doing something that ended up killing a LOT of people (and that is just at the very end of Ciel Nosurge), and now they are going to go in stasis for 5000 years? She should have been executed on the spot. There is no reason she should have been enabled to even cause problems in Ar Nosurge. Her story should have ended in Ciel Nosurge.

Bleh.

Anyway. Now I have Ion and Earthes. They didn't waste any time busting out of Ion's head :D

It always gets on my nerves when writers keep using the same villains over and over.

Zill tricked them into doing something that ended up killing a LOT of people (and that is just at the very end of Ciel Nosurge), and now they are going to go in stasis for 5000 years? She should have been executed on the spot. There is no reason she should have been enabled to even cause problems in Ar Nosurge. Her story should have ended in Ciel Nosurge.

Bleh.

Anyway. Now I have Ion and Earthes. They didn't waste any time busting out of Ion's head :D

Well, even I admit the Ar Tonelico series was one where the games were there to slowly build the world rather than the characters. But it's not the only time characters return, hell for GUST it's a pretty big staple for their games to come in 3's and for some characters to come back. It's almost never the villains, but it's happened a few times.
    Mir comes back after AT1 to be the third reyvateil in AT2. Also, the Ayatane clan is a fairly constant villain group that keeps coming back, where pretty much every one of their clan you run into looks the same anyway. May as well be the same person.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Decided not to stream as my connection has been spotty lately.

Also is there any particular benefit to having one girl or another name your items, or is BBQ Soda its own reward?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    None that I'm aware of, but BBQ Soda is surprisingly good.

Ianator wrote: »
    Decided not to stream as my connection has been spotty lately.

Also is there any particular benefit to having one girl or another name your items, or is BBQ Soda its own reward?

Nope, just different names and new scenes to watch, but nothing more than that. AT2 there's a difference, but only because the same recipe literally makes different items depending on which girl does the synthesizing.

wbee62u815wj.png
    And two of them can't cook and can end up with weaponised 'foods', which means the 3rd is the winner by default.

edited September 2014
    Takel wrote: »
    And two of them can't cook and can end up with weaponised 'foods', which means the 3rd is the winner by default.

I forgot, was it Luca that could cook, or was it Jaqli. Because Jaqli always wins, so we have a paradox if that isn't the case.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png