As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vegemite in the USA?

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
I know Amazon and Cost Plus World Market both sell Vegemite but it's kind of expensive in both places and I don't want to make a special trip to Cost Plus every time I want stuff to put on my bread. There isn't any other way for me to get it in America that's cheaper, is there? I like Vegemite but also I like saving money. More specifically I live in San Diego so "the store near me in Rhode Island sells it" or whatever would be heartening but unfortunately not good enough.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Best bet is to look in every grocery store until you find one that carries it. Most of them have an "international foods" section.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    I suggest checking supermarkets located near unis/colleges. My local Harris Teeter, right next to a community college, carries obscure food that might be considered fashionable by a younger crowd. Which apparently includes Swedish stuff like lingonberry jam, so yay for me.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Some online australian places (for expats) might carry it and ship it for relatively cheap.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    Order from Amazon.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I know Amazon and Cost Plus World Market both sell Vegemite but it's kind of expensive in both places and I don't want to make a special trip to Cost Plus every time I want stuff to put on my bread. There isn't any other way for me to get it in America that's cheaper, is there? I like Vegemite but also I like saving money. More specifically I live in San Diego so "the store near me in Rhode Island sells it" or whatever would be heartening but unfortunately not good enough.
    It's going to be kind of expensive anywhere, simply because it's an imported item.
    You might try hunting down some specialty stores in your area, they might have a wider international foods selection than your average grocery store.

I'd also suggest you try contacting Kraft's customer service department, and see if they might be able to point you toward a local retailer for the stuff.

Or you could go to Amazon and drop 50 bucks on what I'd imagine would be a lifetime supply in the form of a 950g bucket.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYUSEXO?psc=1

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Best bet is to look in every grocery store until you find one that carries it. Most of them have an "international foods" section.

This. I know for a fact I can get a jar of Vegemite for under $5 at a local grocery store here in Wisconsin. In a metro area with a sub-500k population. I have to imagine (if the OP location is correct) SoCal could do even better.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I wasn't able to get it in the northeast, but my local stores do carry Marmite which is what the English use when they're craving salty yeast extract.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

i'd suggest maybe trolling some of the Asian/international supermarkets near Convoy/Clairemont Mesa!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I wasn't able to get it in the northeast, but my local stores do carry Marmite which is what the English use when they're craving salty yeast extract.

marmite is infinitely superior to vegemite

vegemite has sugar in it, for heaven's sake

while marmite is made from beer, vegemite is well known to be made from boiled-down old homeless people and grass clippings

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    V1m wrote: »

marmite is infinitely superior to vegemite

vegemite has sugar in it, for heaven's sake

while marmite is made from beer, vegemite is well known to be made from boiled-down old homeless people and grass clippings

Kraft prefers the term "Free range senior citizens" to "Old homeless people" though.

see317 on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    In its defense, there's no sign of the sugar contained in Vegemite anywhere in its flavor profile.

And it has the added shock value that comes with name recognition, which also ironically makes guests more willing to give it a try. Just so they can say they did. Every now and then someone likes it, and becomes one of us, one of us...

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht