As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Loretta Lynch Nominated to Replace Eric Holder As Attorney General

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/25/us-usa-holder-idUSKCN0HK1QP20140925

Brought up in the Policing thread, but I feel it deserves a thread of its own.

Eric Holder is resigning from his post as Attorney General, effective as soon as a replacement can be found. He's had an interesting six years in charge of Justice, with what I think were a lot of excellent moments. He's particularly been candid and blunt about race in a way the President probably can't be, which made Jamelle Bouie compare him to Luther from Key & Peele. He's also made the Civil Rights Division considerably more active than under his predecessors and was aggressive at attempting to protect Voting Rights, even after the Shelby County ruling.

No speculation on a successor that I've seen yet, but I have to feel he'll be missed.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    How revolving door has Pres. Obama's cabinet been

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Every cabinet is like that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm pretty sure Obama has had a pretty stable cabinet especially compared to his predecessor.

I see liberals are upset about Holder not going after Wall Street, but people are insane if they think anyone that would have been confirmed for the AG position would, and he did go after banks and such not as hard as he could have but he didn't completely ignore them. Much like Obama, Holder was given a shitty mess to clean up and due to factionalism in merica his job got harder day by day. I'll miss him.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I think someone swapped his cabinet for a Lazy Susan.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Anything ever come of Fast and Furious?

I don't know why the GOP put their eggs in the Bengazi basket and not F&F

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Wiki wrote:
    On 12 August 2013, at the American Bar Association's House of Delegates meeting, Holder announced the "Smart on Crime" program, which is "a sweeping initiative by the Justice Department that in effect renounces several decades of tough-on-crime anti-drug legislation and policies." Holder said the program "will encourage U.S. attorneys to charge defendants only with crimes "for which the accompanying sentences are better suited to their individual conduct, rather than excessive prison terms more appropriate for violent criminals or drug kingpins…" Running through Holder's statements, the increasing economic burden of over-incarceration was stressed. As of August 2013, the Smart on Crime program is not a legislative initiative but an effort "limited to the DOJ's policy parameters."

He will be missed.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Doesn't seem that unusual:

iKxudNq

I'll miss Holder a lot. Dude could come out and say some stuff on race you NEVER hear elsewhere in the federal government.

I did notice he won't resign until he has a replacement. Could be amusing to see who Dems put up, knowing the GOP loathes holder.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    How revolving door has Pres. Obama's cabinet been

Most presidents seem to have 2-3 attorney generals and most people tend to hold the position for about 3-4 years. The last president to only have one attorney general during his time was John F. Kennedy, and the last president to survive his term as such was Herbert Hoover.

The other positions have changed a bit more than expected though.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Because F&F was an issue of gun laws in Arizona being completely insane and not one of horrendous federal over reach. Literally the feds could do nothing about obvious straw buyers because its not illegal on its head to do what they were doing specifically because of NRA right wing bullshit.

And the only "gun walking" that occurred was by the "whistle blower" at the ATF that had a serious axe to grind.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    On Obama's cabinet being a revolving door

It has a nice chart of average tenures of cabinet members, per position. Ignore the second chart, average tenure per president, which is meaningless until Obama finishes his term. Attorney General is in a four-way tie for longest average tenure, along with Education, HHS, and Interior. That is 3.72 years. Holder well surpassed that, as well as Education's Duncan, HHS's Sebelius, and Interior's Salazar. There are also two incumbents (Jewell and Burwell of Interior and HHS respectively) who have not reached that goal, but have plenty of time.

On F&F: the current GOP doesn't put all their eggs in one basket, Benghazi or otherwise. They have a history of throwing everything at Obama and seeing what sticks. F&F was big when it came out, but quickly died out when people started realizing nothing was going on. The right-wing were the only ones that gave a shit in the first place, and at this point it's become very boring. But Darrell Issa, the Chair of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee (or, as I think of him, head OGRe) is still pressing on F&F. It's not forgotten. It's just that, at this point, Issa is just making constant requests for documents and answers for stupid questions, it's all tied up in court, and it's not interesting or exciting and there's really nothing that could possibly stick to Obama. Going after Holder might be a slightly less stupid move (emphasis on "slightly less") but now that's not going to matter much, either.

Edit: I like the juxtaposition of the current articles on 538. Article on why Holder's replacement will have a tough confirmation followed by an article on why Ginsberg would have an easy confirmation if she were nominated today. I guess it shows different priorities in nominations: SCOTUS can make it through relatively easily, the cabinet has a tough time but is doable, and fuck all the nominees for judges lower than the Supreme Court.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Honestly, Duncan is a Cabinet member that should have been shown the door a long time ago.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Chatter is that Deval Patrick is under consideration to replace Holder.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Its what makes sense. His term is up in November, he has the experience, he's an early Obama supporter.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Because Eric Holder wont be running for president.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Which is too bad, I'd support that guy.

Anyway, Ted Cruz is insisting they shouldn't confirm anyone until after the new Congress, by which he actually means until 2017.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ted Cruz: He puts the arse in arsenal of democracy

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    On F&F: the current GOP doesn't put all their eggs in one basket, Benghazi or otherwise. They have a history of throwing everything at Obama and seeing what sticks. F&F was big when it came out, but quickly died out when people started realizing nothing was going on. The right-wing were the only ones that gave a shit in the first place, and at this point it's become very boring. But Darrell Issa, the Chair of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee (or, as I think of him, head OGRe) is still pressing on F&F. It's not forgotten. It's just that, at this point, Issa is just making constant requests for documents and answers for stupid questions, it's all tied up in court, and it's not interesting or exciting and there's really nothing that could possibly stick to Obama. Going after Holder might be a slightly less stupid move (emphasis on "slightly less") but now that's not going to matter much, either.

F&F hasn't died on the right at all. It's just not the animal that Benghazi is. F&F, along with a bunch of other non-scandals you've never heard of or haven't made the real news in ages, are still big things circulating through the right-wing media bubble.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Especially in year six.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    BExpTb3CQAA2yqW.png

• Options
    BExpTb3CQAA2yqW.png

See, this is good because Rand Paul wanted to use drones on the Boston bomber and other criminal activities.

Because he's such a defender of civil liberties.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Its what makes sense. His term is up in November, he has the experience, he's an early Obama supporter.

He said he's not interested.
    First of all I want to say of Eric Holder that he has distinguished himself and the role of the Attorney General, as Attorney General, and I thank him for his service to the administration and his service to the nation. That’s an enormously important job but it’s not one for me right now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Snickering at the word "honorable".

Although the propriety of the thing kind of comes across as a giant sigh from Holder, to me.

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »

He said he's not interested.
    First of all I want to say of Eric Holder that he has distinguished himself and the role of the Attorney General, as Attorney General, and I thank him for his service to the administration and his service to the nation. That’s an enormously important job but it’s not one for me right now.

Do note that "right now". Also note that he'll be looking for a job come January.

He's still in the mix.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Stonewalled and dissembled enough to be held in contempt of Congress, the first AG ever.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

Stonewalled and dissembled enough to be held in contempt of Congress, the first AG ever.

I like that you pretend that was anything other then partisan bullshit.

• Options
    As usual, when people scream about false flag operations with no evidence of it, they can be safely ignored.

And conspiracy speculation/ranting is what Fast and Furious discussion among the right has been reduced to.

My favorite is how Holder was voted in contempt but no charges, contempt or otherwise, were actually filed. Almost like the whole thing was a manufactured controversy from the start.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Let's be honest, there is no response short of "Barack and I thought of the whole thing and we're both resigning" that would have satisfied them enough to not hold him in contempt.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

The idea of the current Congress holding anyone in contempt would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic.

I'm surprised they even found the time to do it instead of voting to repeal the ACA for the 1,146th time.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I like that you pretend that was anything other then partisan bullshit.

The contempt? Or the stonewalling and dissembling.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The point made was that the stonewalling as you put it resulted in a contempt of congress vote and no other action. Evidently it was severe enough of an offense to warrent some political theater but nothing more.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The point made was that the stonewalling as you put it resulted in a contempt of congress vote and no other action. Evidently it was severe enough of an offense to warrent some political theater but nothing more.

Indeed. Given how many investigations they've launch on BENGHAZI!, you'd think they could have slotted in some time to follow up on the first time an AG has ever been found in contempt of Congress.

You know, unless there's even less there to find then there is with BENGHAZI!.

• Options
    Resurrecting this for reports on Holder's successor:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/loretta-lynch-attorney-general-obama-nomination

CNN so grain of salt.

Loretta Lynch, US Attorney in Brooklyn, both under Obama and Clinton. Left to be a partner at some law firm and served on the New York Fed for a couple years. Would be the first black woman to serve as AG if nominated and confirmed.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    This is way off point, but what Governor Deval Patrick really wants is to move into 1600 Pennsylvannia Boulevard.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Avenue?

And yeah, when did Patrick's name come up prior to now in the conversation?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I didn't realize how old the thread was, but Patrick was mentioned in the top half of the thread.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Lynch's nomination was made official yesterday. Not sure whether they'll try to confirm her in the lame duck or if she'll be the first serious test of the media's belief that the GOP is all grown up and totally ready to govern. Because it seems like she'd be almost impossible to not confirm.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Lynch's nomination was made official yesterday. Not sure whether they'll try to confirm her in the lame duck or if she'll be the first serious test of the media's belief that the GOP is all grown up and totally ready to govern. Because it seems like she'd be almost impossible to not confirm.

As a furriner the vibe I get is that Attorney General is in the same category as SCOTUS in that it's really politically risky to dilly dally with that.

• Options

As a furriner the vibe I get is that Attorney General is in the same category as SCOTUS in that it's really politically risky to dilly dally with that.

You would assume so, but the media hasn't exactly called them out before when like, the world economy was at stake.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    From what i heard watching MSNBC, Obama is going to wait until the next congress to try and get the confirmation which is stupid IMO.

The republicans have already said they're going to raise executive action as a litmus test for her confirmation; Obama needs to tell republicans to go screw and confirm her now while the democrats still control the senate.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The filibuster is still in effect for cabinet level posts, there is no chance this goes through before the new congress. Any Republicans will just complain about "Time to vet" or something and it will come off to the public as reasonable.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish