As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

yo, let's get introspective

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    i'm getting married in three weeks. i'm entirely uncertain how these next three weeks are going to go. i'm hoping the wedding goes smoothly, or at the very least not a disaster!

If it makes you feel any better, as someone who is counting down the days to your wedding for a different reason IT'S LESS THAN THREE WEEKS IT'S ONLY 19 DAYS TIME IS TICKING TICK TOCK TICK TOCK

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    That I basically stopped drawing around age 17/18 is something about which I have a lot of regrets

In my last year of school, I still took art courses, but never finished some of the artworks I did and then pretended I lost them when it came to grading

One of these was a picture of floating island attacked by a snake

I couldn't get the snake right and instead of going with what I could do or actually studying templates, I just gave up

Platy on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks they can be certain about how their life is going to be for the next thirty or forty years based on how it is at this moment is some kind of fuckwit.

I can be certain that within the next 30 or 40 years I will need some further aid with renal function, whether that's another new kidney or some fancy future thing or whatever.

Although I probably qualify as a fuckwit in general, so maybe your point stands.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i'm getting married in three weeks. i'm entirely uncertain how these next three weeks are going to go. i'm hoping the wedding goes smoothly, or at the very least not a disaster!

If it makes you feel any better, as someone who is counting down the days to your wedding for a different reason IT'S LESS THAN THREE WEEKS IT'S ONLY 19 DAYS TIME IS TICKING TICK TOCK TICK TOCK

aaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHaaaaaaokthat'sbetter.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks they can be certain about how their life is going to be for the next thirty or forty years based on how it is at this moment is some kind of fuckwit.

I can be certain that within the next 30 or 40 years I will need some further aid with renal function, whether that's another new kidney or some fancy future thing or whatever.

Although I probably qualify as a fuckwit in general, so maybe your point stands.

That's not really what I mean. That's like me saying "over the next 30 years my hair will thin out.". Of course it will, that's time. Saying "Oh I'm clearly going to be alone for ever." on the other hand? You can't possibly know that unless you've already resigned yourself to doing the same shit day in and day out for the entire amount of years you've already lived at this point.

I mean, I'm not saying they're wrong, but if they're not it has more to do with them acting like a pussy than some kind of fated inevitability.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Two years ago next month I started my application for the Norwegian film school, and I ended up getting to the very last round before being bumped (after a six month application process). I was super proud of getting that far, and super disappointed that I didn't get in, and I've been working my ass off the past year and a half trying to get to a place where I'd be able to get in next time.

So the deadline for applying for the next time is in January, and I plan on applying again... but things are looking pretty different.

Last time I'd barely started dating my girlfriend, and I'd just decided that I was going to get serious about writing. I didn't have much to lose, really. Now... I don't want to do a long distance relationship (the school is a few hours away by train), I'm this close to selling my first project, and I've met and begun working on projects with a bunch of cool people. Also there's another writing degree I could pursue in Oslo (theatre rather than film, but both have appeal).

The Norwegian film school gives you a massive leg up in the industry and would be an incredible experience, learning from the very best writers in Scandinavia... but I'm not sure I'm not just applying for the feeling of validation I'd get from being accepted this time.

At the same time, like, who am I? I should give it my all in order to get into the most prestigious writing education in the country, right? The government spends more money educating each of those film students than they do on fighter pilots. It would be amazing to be accepted there.

So... I'm at a crossroads. Not sure what I want, really.

Except to sell my thing. I really want that.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I constantly fear it's too late to do anything now. From shallow relationships I've had for years being too late for me to grow deeper, to talents I've been interested in too late to develop further in a meaningful way. This is a feeling I've had since 14. I know this is dumb and whenever I try to change things I get the paralyzing thought of 'well why didn't you do this before?'

And I'm too fucking vain to say 'because I suck', with the side fear that pointing out these negative aspects of myself will torpedo prospective relationships I'm trying to build.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I mean if we're talking changes then last year I was taking classes for a degree that I wasn't at all interested in, and now I'm taking classes in a field I am into, and even applying for an internship in said field!

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I know an awful lot about trees compared to last year. My head is full of trees.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I know an awful lot about trees compared to last year. My head is full of trees.

It must be hard to get around.

Moriveth wrote: »

It must be hard to get around.

Its pretty tricky.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Sounds like you really

B-)

turned over a new leaf

Here's some introspection for you: I can remember the time that I was on Penny Arcade and thought "I'm going to click on the forums and see what those are like". If I hadn't done that, essentially everything in my life at this point, over ten years on, would be unrecognisable.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I fear dying without having been in a relationshiop or having experienced non platonic love.

What's more frustrating it's that I done so much over the years to improve myself. I generally have a physical and social life that I think most people would be happy to have. Surrounded by amazing friends of both sexes who I know care about me and would drop everything if I needed help. Constantly meet new people.

Yet I sometimes return to my apt and just feel lonely.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Here's some introspection for you: I can remember the time that I was on Penny Arcade and thought "I'm going to click on the forums and see what those are like". If I hadn't done that, essentially everything in my life at this point, over ten years on, would be unrecognisable.

If you never signed up for the forums, you'd never run this place. If you never ran this place, I'd still be named Herby. If I was still named Herby, I'd feel more strong and virile and confident. If I felt more strong and virile and confident, I'd probably be better at sex. If I was better at sex, I'd probably have scored way better than 2 on the survey I sent my wife last week. I believe this makes you the root cause of my poor marriage mid-year review.

If you never signed up for the forums, you'd never run this place. If you never ran this place, I'd still be named Herby. If I was still named Herby, I'd feel more strong and virile and confident. If I felt more strong and virile and confident, I'd probably be better at sex. If I was better at sex, I'd probably have scored way better than 2 on the survey I sent my wife last week. I believe this makes you the root cause of my poor marriage mid-year review.

Also the affair I've been having with your wife may have raised her expectations.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I am motivated by science specifically particle physics and it's potential for energy solutions and space travel

I realize I am in a transitional period of society where old and bad traditions are being put aside and I should hold it together and manage my anger when there are relapses

recently i've been feeling like lots of major events going on in the world are unstoppable juggernauts, and there's nil i can do individually to affect things for the better. that the best i can do is just make sure the little tiny crevice of the world here is decently ok.

i keep wanting to believe that humans will somehow get their shit together. like, i will do my small part, so long as other folks help by just not killing or torturing people, or invading their shit, or trying to share resources instead of spilling blood over them.

ffNewSig.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Make a score-sheet for her to fill in about you, everyone loves a filling in a score-sheet.

Please rate my junk on a scale of one to ten

By junk I of course mean how were those sweet potato burgers I made

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I'm getting married soon and can passably function in society

I have many upsetting problems but on balance living feels better now than it has in a while

I was going to complain about something but right now I think I can leave it

Seriously wrote: »

I have many upsetting problems but on balance living feels better now than it has in a while

Me and ms chilla both really, really don't want to get married but it looks like if we want to get a house together its like almost impossible to do so and not get totally hosed on taxes, etc

and I don't know if ignoring our wishes for a financial reason is a good thing to do

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Does anybody else feel like they're getting dumber?

I used to have so many thoughts that were so clear to me at any given moment but now it all seems kind of hazy and cloudy. Sometimes I just have real trouble seeing further ahead than wherever I am at any given moment. It didn't used to be this way.

Is that aging? Or maybe I have just lacked a creative outlet for too long, I don't know.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »

Me and ms chilla both really, really don't want to get married but it looks like if we want to get a house together its like almost impossible to do so and not get totally hosed on taxes, etc

and I don't know if ignoring our wishes for a financial reason is a good thing to do

I think it's perfectly fine to get married as a financial arrangement. You don't have to do a ceremony or anything, just get the paper signed, don't tell anyone that you're legally married now, write up an annulment agreement that you're both happy with, and live on as you currently do but pay less tax.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

both lobes?

oh I have definitely gotten dumber

I need to start learning things again

I agree. Marriage is basically just a contract that legally ties you together and it does have several benefits like you already mentioned. When Mrs. Lohan and I got married we realized it really changed nothing in our relationship...although it did help us get rid of quite a bit of college kitchen stuff and replace them with grownup versions, so that was nice.

Buying a place together is a far more serious commitment than a marriage. Divorce is easy. Getting out of a mortgage is a fucker.

My sister keeps telling me I'll be getting married soon, which is odd because I thought I'd know about it first if I was going to.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Buying a place together is a far more serious commitment than a marriage. Divorce is easy. Getting out of a mortgage is a fucker.

false!

Xaquin wrote: »

false!

yeah given that her mother was nearly bankrupted in a nasty divorce and we both have multiple friends who had multi month to a year divorce proceedings I'm going to say I don't quite buy that

there's a terrible joke that basically goes: "why is divorce so expensive? because it's worth it!"

yeah. i don't agree with the joke.

ffNewSig.png
    Seriously though - presents. Don't you want a new toaster?

if i could get married multiple times i would really consider it. getting quality gifts that you preselect? on an almost weekly or even daily basis? hell yes sign me up.

ffNewSig.png
    the presents are pretty nice

some sucker bought us an entire set of pots and pans and we aren't even going to feed them dinner

just in case my SO is reading this I LOVE YOU HONEY AND ONLY WANT TO MARRY YOU

ffNewSig.png
    Xaquin wrote: »

false!

Aight, I'll rephrase

Potentially easy. If everyone involved is a grown up and/or you qualify for an annulment. I will confess that I have never been divorced, and the divorces I've known have all been relatively painless ones so perhaps I'm not the best person to judge.

We wouldn't do a public ceremony, for a bunch of reasons, and we wouldn't ask for gifts

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I was lying on my floor feeling pretty down last night but I thought about it a bit and it was coming from frustration because the things I want to do are difficult and will take a long time so that puts me in the category of "anyone who ever had a long term goal ever"

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I worry sometimes about my upbringing and life views when it comes to dealing with people from different environments. I worry that I'll always be perceived as some ghetto ass dude whose family isn't far removed from the mountains that birthed them.

Also I've been getting weirded out over how I seem to be getting quite a bit of attention on dating sites from women in open relationships. I'm not sure what's attracting them to me and what's brought that on like it has been over the last couple months.

Which brings me to also worrying over talking to someone 11(I'm 31) years younger than me. I didn't realize she was that young and now I am starting to feel like a gross old dude.

Anyways enough of my whining. I'm watching next of kin and I don't see patrick swayze whining. No he's kicking adam baldwins piece of shit ass.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I have an insatiable urge to be the center of attention and absolutely no idea what to do when it happens.

Sounds like you are perfect for standup comedy.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
This discussion has been closed.