As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »
    And two of them can't cook and can end up with weaponised 'foods', which means the 3rd is the winner by default.

I forgot, was it Luca that could cook, or was it Jaqli. Because Jaqli always wins, so we have a paradox if that isn't the case.
    If I recall, Luca CAN cook, it's just her tastes render food inedible for any other living being, so it was Jacqli, so she wins again. Because she's the best.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    And two of them can't cook and can end up with weaponised 'foods', which means the 3rd is the winner by default.

I forgot, was it Luca that could cook, or was it Jaqli. Because Jaqli always wins, so we have a paradox if that isn't the case.
    If I recall, Luca CAN cook, it's just her tastes render food inedible for any other living being, so it was Jacqli, so she wins again. Because she's the best.

The scene with Jacqli and the Pippin bath bubbler is the scene that secured Jacqli as best girl.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Wow. Diving into Ion is kinda crazy.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I think the biggest problems with Ar tonelico 1 & 3 is that none of the girls compare to Jacqli. She sets the bar impossibly high by being too awesome.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    I think the biggest problems with Ar tonelico 1 & 3 is that none of the girls compare to Jacqli. She sets the bar impossibly high by being too awesome.

Although Jacqli is still best, playing through NoSurge however I have to say Ion comes a pretty close second. She's endlessly fun to tease and she just interacts with Earthes so well(for what amount the game allows you to interact using Earthes). She'll play into almost all of the jokes you can make instead of just going animegirltrope on you. (which is kind of a severe contrast to the fact that Cass is simply written as super standard megatsundere)

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »

Although Jacqli is still best, playing through NoSurge however I have to say Ion comes a pretty close second. She's endlessly fun to tease and she just interacts with Earthes so well(for what amount the game allows you to interact using Earthes). She'll play into almost all of the jokes you can make instead of just going animegirltrope on you. (which is kind of a severe contrast to the fact that Cass is simply written as super standard megatsundere)

'I want to eat Ion'

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am so sad that my BX at Osan didn't get the game in (yet), and I'll be on vacation away from my PS3 for a month.

you guys must keep posting impressions about nosurge so i can live vicariously through you.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I just got notification that my copy from Play-Asia just shipped. Fed-Ex economy so I'll get it by the end of the week :3

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Ugh. Ar Nosurge, why you wanna make me want to slap you?

Just finished Phase 1.
    Overall I like the game, but the storytelling is starting to get under my skin. The two year time skip seemed poorly done, although I figure they did it to imply the 2 year time frame of Ciel Nosurge fit in there.

Prim is with us, and then post skip no where to be seen and then all of a sudden she is master sharl! There was no sense that time had passed, or Delta & Cass even wondering where she was.

Probably didn't help that I made some assumptions about the direction of things after reading up on Ciel Nosurge. I figured when Nero and Ion disappeared at the end Nero had taken Ion to the planet plus the 5000 year jump in time. I thought the ship was going to use that time span to travel to the planet the slow way.

Instead they just jumped 5000 years into the future on a ship that I personally wouldn't expect to still be there in 5000 years.

Also, Ion's attitude is just irritating. Can't hurt the Sharl! Nevermind they are the aggressors. If she really wants to try to help maybe she should try to do something about Zill or Nero, you know, the people who are behind the Sharl aggression in the first place!

I just hope this comes together in a way that doesn't drive me crazy.

I suppose I just haven't been in the right frame of mind for this lately. Too many story bits that are irking me.

I like the look of the game. I've heard some people in other places complain about using the 3D models for the talking, but I thought it worked well. The combat is fast paced and pretty fun, until you run into some of the bullshit boss fights. Those are easy to get past by just bumping down the difficulty though.

Bonepart wrote: »

Just finished Phase 1.
    Overall I like the game, but the storytelling is starting to get under my skin. The two year time skip seemed poorly done, although I figure they did it to imply the 2 year time frame of Ciel Nosurge fit in there.

Prim is with us, and then post skip no where to be seen and then all of a sudden she is master sharl! There was no sense that time had passed, or Delta & Cass even wondering where she was.

Probably didn't help that I made some assumptions about the direction of things after reading up on Ciel Nosurge. I figured when Nero and Ion disappeared at the end Nero had taken Ion to the planet plus the 5000 year jump in time. I thought the ship was going to use that time span to travel to the planet the slow way.

Instead they just jumped 5000 years into the future on a ship that I personally wouldn't expect to still be there in 5000 years.

Also, Ion's attitude is just irritating. Can't hurt the Sharl! Nevermind they are the aggressors. If she really wants to try to help maybe she should try to do something about Zill or Nero, you know, the people who are behind the Sharl aggression in the first place!

The Ar Tonelico games themselves tend to lay the fun and fanservice on thick in the beginning, then get more serious later on. They're usually pretty good with plot, and don't tend to leave very many gaps by the end. My advice is to store all the new information you get and keep it ready for the latter half of the game. Akira Tsuchiya does a good job of playing the story close to his chest, and keeping you guessing until the big reveals late in the game.

wbee62u815wj.png
    edited October 2014

Just finished Phase 1.

The Ar Tonelico games themselves tend to lay the fun and fanservice on thick in the beginning, then get more serious later on. They're usually pretty good with plot, and don't tend to leave very many gaps by the end. My advice is to store all the new information you get and keep it ready for the latter half of the game. Akira Tsuchiya does a good job of playing the story close to his chest, and keeping you guessing until the big reveals late in the game.

I'm finding the plot so far largely disjointed, but I'm still going. I'm a decent ways into Phase 2 now.

Not a whole lot of activity in this thread. I know a couple of people were still waiting on their games. Maybe people are too busy playing to post :)

Bonepart on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm into the start of Phase 3, and have no notion of where to go.
    it says I have to jump from above down into the Flask Sea. How? What other place on the map do I go?

Edit, I can't play at the moment, but a thought occurred to me:

Is it behind Nay's chair? I recall a chat topic there mentioning a drop...

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    Sagroth wrote: »
    it says I have to jump from above down into the Flask Sea. How? What other place on the map do I go?

Go to the sharl road, most likely

Just got my copy.

For my initial impressions, all I can say is that I heard the battle music and thought to myself: I'm home.

I don't know why, but my first instinct is the Placenta. I THINK it's situated above the Flask Sea, but I dunno.

Not a whole lot of activity in this thread. I know a couple of people were still waiting on their games. Maybe people are too busy playing to post :)

Well I wasn't exactly expecting Final Fantasy levels of activity here, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed as well. There seemed to be decent interest in the thread as a whole, but now that it's here only a handful of folks contribute. Currently it's not getting past page 3 without an comment, so it's crawling along, which is probably good enough for a series like this with a VERY niche following.

wbee62u815wj.png
    I can see the outline of a bigger more over arching plot starting to take shape, but the early subplots seem to have been phoned in a bit.

Still holding out hope that when they tie it all together it will be suitably awesome :)

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/arnosurge_na

So hey, like, fill this out. Tell your friends! Tell your dog!

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2014

Done!

I rated their Character design as Good (instead of Excellent). The younger looking characters get naked a little TOO frequently, and tend to expose more than the other girls.

Bonepart on

I feel weird reviewing a game that I haven't put 20 hours in yet, but I will make it happen... For Science!

wbee62u815wj.png

I feel weird reviewing a game that I haven't put 20 hours in yet, but I will make it happen... For Science!

You should get on that ;)

I need contrasting opinions!

Gonna have to make it a point to mention the Vita versions and Atelier Ayesha Plus for localization again.

Huh, the survey's closed. That was quick.

wbee62u815wj.png

Go to the sharl road, most likely

@Sagroth You can't just leave us hanging! Did you find where you needed to go?

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Yeah, Sharl road. Just got Delta and Cass back, too.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    Yeah, Sharl road. Just got Delta and Cass back, too.

Glad to hear it. Haven't had a chance to play the last couple of days.

Hope to make some progress this weekend.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Wait what the double fuck?

NEW AR XYZ GAME

AND I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT

GOD DAMNIT

SWEAR WORDS

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    Kainy wrote: »

NEW AR XYZ GAME

GOD DAMNIT

SWEAR WORDS

Well yeah, hence the new thread. They didn't exactly market the game... at all, so we're reminding people that it exists... and it doesn't suck. Not sure how easy you'll find a physical copy, but downloading it is always an option.

wbee62u815wj.png
    hmmm, cranked the difficulty up to Veteran and it's just really really difficult to Break the mobs. I think I'll just tune it down to Hard, though I do like the extra experience from Veteran, but it just doesn't seem fun that it's nigh impossible to break every mob unless there's some on tiny slivers and you can kill them instead of Breaking them.

hmmm, cranked the difficulty up to Veteran and it's just really really difficult to Break the mobs. I think I'll just tune it down to Hard, though I do like the extra experience from Veteran, but it just doesn't seem fun that it's nigh impossible to break every mob unless there's some on tiny slivers and you can kill them instead of Breaking them.

Veteran forces you to grind a little is all. The same experience is there as Hard, you just gotta build up a few more levels and earn that domination.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »

NEW AR XYZ GAME

GOD DAMNIT

SWEAR WORDS

Well yeah, hence the new thread. They didn't exactly market the game... at all, so we're reminding people that it exists... and it doesn't suck. Not sure how easy you'll find a physical copy, but downloading it is always an option.

I have CEs of AT 1-3, so I hope I can snag a physical one, but I guess it's not a huge deal. I won't probably actually play it until winter break, as I'm finding out that 160% of full time classes in college might not be the brightest idea

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've just about reached the point in AT1 where I left off my first playthrough, that being
    just before crafting the Circula.

I've gotten both Aurica and Misha to Level 4 so I can install. Should I go for Level 5 at this point? How much grinding for crystals should I do? And
    why is the white-haired girl in both Reyvateil's stories?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    I've just about reached the point in AT1 where I left off my first playthrough, that being
    just before crafting the Circula.

I've gotten both Aurica and Misha to Level 4 so I can install. Should I go for Level 5 at this point? How much grinding for crystals should I do? And
    why is the white-haired girl in both Reyvateil's stories?

AT1 is the odd game where I believe your choice real early decides what chick you get close to. Just whatever one you want to get close to more, finish her cosmosphere first. Grinding should be pretty unnecessary in most AT games. The crystals should be coming rather freely. And the other girl you've met before. She was just in her battle outfit. A small hint.

Remember, all reyvateils are linked to the tower. So their presence can be in other's cosmospheres at a latent level.

wbee62u815wj.png
    edited October 2014
    Was going to play some more over the weekend, but it seems they like reusing plot points and devices from previous games.

Spoiler for Ar Tonelico 2 and early Phase 2 of Ar Nosurge (Cass & Delta)
    I put the game back down once they brought up going to Cosal and dumping some of the land to save power, just like they did in AT2. It was a plot point I didn't really care all that much for in AT2.

On the plus side I really like how they did the Cosmospheres.

Bonepart on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The innuendo in this series still cracks me up.

You are killing me thread. I'm having to go to GameFaqs for ArNo chit chat :bigfrown:

You are killing me thread. I'm having to go to GameFaqs for ArNo chit chat :bigfrown:

Sorry man, my PS3 disc player ended up dying on me, and I had to break out my spare. I'll be playing it more this week... just not a lot of people asking questions.

wbee62u815wj.png

Sorry man, my PS3 disc player ended up dying on me, and I had to break out my spare. I'll be playing it more this week... just not a lot of people asking questions.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I was playing AT1 and had AT2 on order, and my PS2 started acting up. I panic ordered another PS2 so nothing would get in the way of AT2.....and my PS2 stopped acting up.

At least I have a spare now!

Got a little farther now.
    Fought Nelo and Zill... Christ that was a nightmare, even on Hard.

And it shows a very big flaw with the combat. AT2 combat worked because it gave you visual cues when to defend, and if you did it well enough it flat out negated the damage. In Ar Nosurge from what I can tell you either defend it or not, and it only blocks part of it, never all of it... and you have no fucking idea when to defend! You get these skills where they pantomime for 12 seconds and suddenly I'm out 2 or 3 defends out of ignorance. If they wanted the battles to be trial and error, they should've let you restart the goddamn battle instead of reloading and watching the scene again Every Single Time. I'm learning that items and equipment with regen properties are going to be VERY necessary during boss battles.

Truthfully despite the okay-but-not-great combat I'm really digging the story and how it's being set up. It reminds me very much of Suikoden 2 and 3, where the game has you see the conflict from every side. It sort of culminates in the next battle of the story,
    when one party meets the other, has a chat, then has to fight each other.
    I know most games of the Exa Pico series follow the 'two groups battle with good intentions but bad setups, and you break away from both to do it right' scenario, but this is the first time the series went this deep with the concept.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Got a little farther now.
    Fought Nelo and Zill... Christ that was a nightmare, even on Hard.

And it shows a very big flaw with the combat. AT2 combat worked because it gave you visual cues when to defend, and if you did it well enough it flat out negated the damage. In Ar Nosurge from what I can tell you either defend it or not, and it only blocks part of it, never all of it... and you have no fucking idea when to defend! You get these skills where they pantomime for 12 seconds and suddenly I'm out 2 or 3 defends out of ignorance. If they wanted the battles to be trial and error, they should've let you restart the goddamn battle instead of reloading and watching the scene again Every Single Time. I'm learning that items and equipment with regen properties are going to be VERY necessary during boss battles.

Truthfully despite the okay-but-not-great combat I'm really digging the story and how it's being set up. It reminds me very much of Suikoden 2 and 3, where the game has you see the conflict from every side. It sort of culminates in the next battle of the story,
    when one party meets the other, has a chat, then has to fight each other.
    I know most games of the Exa Pico series follow the 'two groups battle with good intentions but bad setups, and you break away from both to do it right' scenario, but this is the first time the series went this deep with the concept.

A bit later on there is a fight where the boss uses 3 heavy hitting attacks EVERY ROUND. I just said fuck it and put it on normal.

I believe just a bit more and you'll be where I really started having issues with the story.