As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vote By Fail: Voting Options in 21st Century America

AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk!The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
So nearly everyone agrees voter turnout is bad in the US and probably all of us have their own ideas about what could be done. In this thread we'll discuss them and maybe come up with some new ones.

Mandatory Voting
Australia does this. If you don't vote you get fined. But would people simply pay the fine? Do we really want people who can't be bothered to vote or stay informed making a decision? Is that even a big problem?

Make Election Day a National Holiday
This, along with mandatory voting, gets the biggest amount of traffic around here. The idea is that if nobody has to work everyone will be able to make it to the polls. Of course, the problems with this are also obvious: not everyone will get the day off (how many of us have stopped into McDonalds on labor day or picked up some extra hot dogs from Publix/Wegmans/Whatever on Veteran's Day?) which means that the working poor especially will have a harder time getting to the polls. Also, once it's a holiday, a beach trip or a shopping spree at the Freedom to Spend sales will probably attract more people than the voting booth.

Vote by Mail
Definitely one of my favorites. Vote by Mail has taken off in recent years, my supervisor of elections sells it everywhere he goes and there is definite proof that when people get a ballot sent to them they almost always send it back filled in. You have the ability to research while you're voting and find things about about those local dog catcher/county judge elections that might not get enough air time. Of course there are some security concerns, what if your ballot gets lost/do we need to worry about making sure the voter voting is the voter who should?

Online Voting
Has all the benefits of vote by mail with some more convenience. Definite security concerns here that should go without saying and might alienate people who don't have internet connections at home.

Early Voting
A god send. You can early vote in almost any American election now, for varying amounts of time. It lets you vote in select locations (or in some places all voting locations) at your convenience and are proven ways to get participation up.

So what do you think of these options? Are there other choices you can think of? What can we do to make voting easier and more widespread? Do we even want to?

Lh96QHG.png
AManFromEarth on

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I say this tentatively because it's not backed up by any sources but I feel like it'll take a long time for the majority of Americans to be okay with mail-in voting

Culturally, we like the spectacle of a day where you root for your team and the results are known immediately, and we tend not to trust processes that are over the course of several weeks or what have you, even though of course there aren't any particularly greater risks over in-person voting

I dunno

@‌Eddy

I'd actually say the opposite. Once people are assured that their ballots won't be dumped in a pile and counted a couple weeks later, we've seen a huge increase in vote by mail down here. Especially among the aged and infirm. And when people have a ballot sent to them they will nine times out of ten return it.

We'll never get rid of Election Day, but I think vote by mail and early voting are definitely the way of the future.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    SCOTUS just held up Ohio's decision to eliminate early voting days

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I was thinking about making a similar thread, but not for Americaz exclusively! As watchers of John Oliver may have noted last week, New Zealand just had an election last week where this was a political issue as whilst turnout improved as a proportion of registered voters, it declined as a total proportional of adults able to register to vote. There had also been a deep political scandal during this campaign about passive US style voter suppression techniques by the Right. With the conclusion being that if a lot of these people voted, they would vote Left.

Personally, I used to be rather strongly anti compulsory voting, but as I've got older I've not seen any other useful strategy in the UK or NZ be suggested and implemented. I'm getting to the point where I'd happily try the Australian compulsory voting and trade off any theoretical undermining of liberty as a consequence.

Here is a useful blog post on NZ's take on the matter.

http://publicaddress.net/speaker/compulsory-voting-and-election-turnout/

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    On the voting by post issue, NZ and the UK do a lot of this and I don't think that it has been demonstrated that this aids in voter turnout. In the UK there are many documented voting scandals which may have been exacerbated by postal voting (usually someone in the family taking the forms and posting them after choosing all the votes, on an organised basis).

So far as simplicity of voting, well NZ has good, easy to use voting forms, there rarely are big queues. We have Saturday voting. It isn't clear we could make voting any easier without deciding that unmonitored Internet voting was acceptable.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    SCOTUS just held up Ohio's decision to eliminate early voting days

Yeah, this kind of moved out of that. And they didn't eliminate early voting, they curtailed it.

I don't really want to get mired in the muck of party politics here though. There is a thread for that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    @AManFromEarth‌ , your information about voting online in Oregon is incorrect. They allow you to register to vote online, but not actually vote online. All voting is mail in Oregon.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    @DoctorArch Thanks for that!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I admit I'm biased, but mail-in voting is the simplest solution to voting that has the least amount of potential fuckmuppetry involved. Plus, mail-in-voting is early voting by its very nature. 2 birds with one stone!

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I don't see compulsory voting as losing out on any kind of freedom, as long as you're entitled to spoil your ballot. It's only bad if you HAVE to choose one of the names on the ballot, but outside of strawmen arguments I don't think anyone's suggested that, ever.

Mail-in voting is a best. Having mail-in + early voting is a necessity.

There are definitely security concerns with online voting, but they tend to be overstated. Online voting is already used in a few countries and a ton of local elections without any real concern. Yes, the US is a wealthier and more visible target than Estonia, but it's not like there hasn't been practice. Academics have been discussing online voting since widespread internet has been a thing, there is a fuckton of research on how to make it safe. The problem is that companies tend not to actually go the safe route. That's why there was the infamous story about the DC online voting pilot program getting hacked and playing some song from Michigan University. They used shit security. Get a good team on it instead of skimping, and online voting can definitely be made safe and verifiable.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I've done absentee voting on a few elections and I strongly prefer it.

The only reason I don't do it every time is because you have to re-request absentee every election, and I frequently miss the deadline for that.

...speaking of which...

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    By the way, is ballot box technology on-topic for this thread?

Because electronic ballot hacking scares the shit out of me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't think i've ever actually voted at a polling place. The first election I could vote in was 2002, and my family always signed up for absentee ballots. Then Washington went to entirely mail-in voting.

It would feel pretty weird if I ever move anywhere else, I think.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

Absolutely.

I do not like electronic voting. At. All.

I much prefer a paper trail on this kind of thing. It's the same reason I make Sallie Mae send me physical correspondence.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever actually voted at a polling place. The first election I could vote in was 2002, and my family always signed up for absentee ballots. Then Washington went to entirely mail-in voting.

It would feel pretty weird if I ever move anywhere else, I think.

I'd imagine it would be like going back to the voting stone-age.

Kind of like how I feel when I actually pump my own gas. That mini-service is nice when it's cold and rainy out, the increased price on gas is marginal at worst (like a few cents if that) and I patronize places like Costco where the people at the pump end up getting 22 bucks an hour plus biannual bonuses.

• Options

Absolutely.

I much prefer a paper trail on this kind of thing. It's the same reason I make Sallie Mae send me physical correspondence.

Paper trails and electronic voting are not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Absolutely.

Except that the public argument for e-voting is typically, "Why are we using paper? It's outdated!" And voting on paper and electronically is a duplication of materials/effort.

• Options
    I miss voting in person but sometimes it is impossible. I do like the ritual of it and because it is very easy and there are no queues it isn't a problem.I usually walk to work, stop by the booth, in and out in 2 to 3 minutes. I don't think it is likely I'll ever be too busy to do that.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Voting is not really that complicated. Its just made that way by people in certain areas, either through gross incompetence or intentionally as a means to suppress turnout. The longest I've ever had to wait to vote was the morning rush in 2008 when I lived in a place with ~7K people/square mile. There was a very large Asian, Brazilian and Latino immigrant population and most were poor or working class. And it was still less than 15 minutes.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Absolutely.

Except that the public argument for e-voting is typically, "Why are we using paper? It's outdated!" And voting on paper and electronically is a duplication of materials/effort.

Not at all. The paper trail does not mean "Vote on a machine once and then vote on paper once." That wouldn't make any sense. You get a receipt (which you can then throw out, keep, or just not take in the first place).

This is something else that is already done successfully in other countries.

• Options

Absolutely.

Not at all. The paper trail does not mean "Vote on a machine once and then vote on paper once." That wouldn't make any sense. You get a receipt (which you can then throw out, keep, or just not take in the first place).

That doesn't really solve the problem of electronic tampering, which is what people are concerned about. Machine takes your vote, spits out the right receipt, enters the vote wrong. Everybody takes their individual receipts home, but there's no centralized paper record that can be counted and compared to the electronic record.

The machine could spit out a public paper record of all votes, but the voter wouldn't get to see it and/or that would breach voter confidentiality.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I've never done it, but I think I like the idea of mail in voting. You bring up a good point about having the ability to do research as you vote. I can't count the number of times that I have opted out of choosing an option for various minor country and city races due to simply not knowing anything about any of the candidates.

As for mandatory voting, I don't even think that that should ever be considered an option. It would obviously solve the problem of voter turn out, but it would turn many elections into nothing more than a popularity contest as millions of uninformed voters head to the polls because they have to and choose whichever candidate that they recognize, even if they know nothing of their actual politics.

• Options

Absolutely.

The argument is still basically "voting on paper is outdated." Electronic voting doesn't really add anything. You can count the ballots essentially instantly with a scantron type ballot counter.

Yes you can have a receipt print out, but at that point why are you bothering with the electronic ballot?

And physical security of a ballot box (generally watched by the police and representatives of both sides) is much simpler than ensuring the data in the machine is not tampered with over the network.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Enforcement of mandatory voting would be such a huge headache.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Generally or in the US? Australia seems to do it without much hassle

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    As for mandatory voting, I don't even think that that should ever be considered an option. It would obviously solve the problem of voter turn out, but it would turn many elections into nothing more than a popularity contest as millions of uninformed voters head to the polls because they have to and choose whichever candidate that they recognize, even if they know nothing of their actual politics.

Wait how is that different from the current situation?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »

Wait how is that different from the current situation?

My assumption is that as long as it's optional the majority of individuals who voluntarily take the time to go out and vote will take the time to do some research.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

The argument is still basically "voting on paper is outdated." Electronic voting doesn't really add anything. You can count the ballots essentially instantly with a scantron type ballot counter.

Yes you can have a receipt print out, but at that point why are you bothering with the electronic ballot?

And physical security of a ballot box (generally watched by the police and representatives of both sides) is much simpler than ensuring the data in the machine is not tampered with over the network.

You would choose a candidate on the machine and have it spit out a ballot with your choice printed. No stray marks, hanging chads, overvotes, or butterfly ballots.

• Options
    Kalkino wrote: »

In the U.S. you would likely have to tie the penalty for not voting to the IRS who can collect the penalty. However, you would also need to set up a reliable system for determining who didn't vote, whether they had an acceptable reason for not voting, and get the information to the IRS in order to levy the penalty.

In terms of numbers alone, Australia only has to deal with about 23 million people, where the U.S. has to deal with about 313 million. There is a reason now why the IRS is a "voluntary reporting" agency where you "voluntarily" submit your taxes, because in a country with this many people, there simply isn't enough funds to make sure that every single person is accounted for.

• Options
    I imagine the IRS could just check the voting records to see if you turned up and add your "didn't vote" tax to that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Well, the electronic tampering issue could largely be mitigated by an oversight body that applies statistical methods to analyze results, and is empowered to conduct an audit to investigate any anomalies.

There are also technological solutions to the problem that effectively eliminate the possibility of tampering - most of the risk seems to be related to poor implementation (intentional or not, who knows) rather than fundamental flaws in voting.

Hell - the companies that make these voting machines make ATMs. Ever have an ATM fuck up and spit out extra money or register a withdrawal as a deposit? Me neither.

Sure, there will be errors and someone could potentially tamper with the results, but the same goes for any other method. Just a matter of doing it.

• Options
    I have had an ATM charge me money and not give me the cash though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

In the U.S. you would likely have to tie the penalty for not voting to the IRS who can collect the penalty. However, you would also need to set up a reliable system for determining who didn't vote, whether they had an acceptable reason for not voting, and get the information to the IRS in order to levy the penalty.

In terms of numbers alone, Australia only has to deal with about 23 million people, where the U.S. has to deal with about 313 million. There is a reason now why the IRS is a "voluntary reporting" agency where you "voluntarily" submit your taxes, because in a country with this many people, there simply isn't enough funds to make sure that every single person is accounted for.

That reason being that policy makes Intuit a metric asston of money every year.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Well, the electronic tampering issue could largely be mitigated by an oversight body that applies statistical methods to analyze results, and is empowered to conduct an audit to investigate any anomalies.

There are also technological solutions to the problem that effectively eliminate the possibility of tampering - most of the risk seems to be related to poor implementation (intentional or not, who knows) rather than fundamental flaws in voting.

Hell - the companies that make these voting machines make ATMs. Ever have an ATM fuck up and spit out extra money or register a withdrawal as a deposit? Me neither.

Sure, there will be errors and someone could potentially tamper with the results, but the same goes for any other method. Just a matter of doing it.

Not really. Garbage in, garbage out. If the data itself is the problem you can't identify if the data is wrong. At least not without holding another election. Are they going to say "No Nate Silver said the Republican was going to win so..." The popular opposition would be matched only by the huge legal problems with that kind of approach. You can't legally count people by statistical method for the census, you certainly can't count votes that way.

And its a solution in search of a problem. Just fill in a circle on a piece of paper. Negligible costs per ballot, equal speed, less possibility of tampering, more reliable recounting possibilities (even with receipts, anything that could tamper with a machine's results can likely tamper with the internal paper receipts).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Voting by mail is all I've ever known since I've only ever voted while military. I greatly prefer it and wouldn't be much interested in going somewhere to vote. It seems entirely pointless when right now I have a book with everyone and everything on the ballot that I can research at my general leisure.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

Not really. Garbage in, garbage out. If the data itself is the problem you can't identify if the data is wrong. At least not without holding another election. Are they going to say "No Nate Silver said the Republican was going to win so..." The popular opposition would be matched only by the huge legal problems with that kind of approach. You can't legally count people by statistical method for the census, you certainly can't count votes that way.

And its a solution in search of a problem. Just fill in a circle on a piece of paper. Negligible costs per ballot, equal speed, less possibility of tampering, more reliable recounting possibilities (even with receipts, anything that could tamper with a machine's results can likely tamper with the internal paper receipts).

And again, without a centralized, official paper record, what would they audit? What would they do if the audit showed shenanigans? Call everybody back, "Please bring your voting receipts"?

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Voting by mail is all I've ever known since I've only ever voted while military. I greatly prefer it and wouldn't be much interested in going somewhere to vote. It seems entirely pointless when right now I have a book with everyone and everything on the ballot that I can research at my general leisure.

Well vote by mail has the advantage of some convenience. But there is also statistical evidence that it does not effect turnout rates (except in special elections) in any statistically significant way.

The downside is you have additional ballot security issues - you have to construct a way to make sure the ballot being mailed to you should be counted for instance. Plus if there's economic pressure concerns vote by mail makes them worse. If a boss says "you should all vote for our pal Rod so we get the contract" he has no way to actually enforce that in an in-person situation. Its actually illegal and highly obvious for him to follow you into the booth and if you make any marks on your ballot so its possible to tell from counting the ballot is void and you've actually committed a crime. With vote by mail, you could easily ask everyone to bring in their ballots and mail them all out during a team building work lunch.

Still likely illegal, but much harder to prove or prevent, especially in anti-union states.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    That could happen. I find it extremely unlikely for the vast, vast majority of people.

Quid on
  • Options
    Just fill in a circle on a piece of paper. Negligible costs per ballot, equal speed, less possibility of tampering, more reliable recounting possibilities (even with receipts, anything that could tamper with a machine's results can likely tamper with the internal paper receipts).

I find it unbelievable that anybody can sincerely say "just fill in a circle on a piece of paper" in the post-Gore-v-Bush world.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Just fill in a circle on a piece of paper. Negligible costs per ballot, equal speed, less possibility of tampering, more reliable recounting possibilities (even with receipts, anything that could tamper with a machine's results can likely tamper with the internal paper receipts).

I find it unbelievable that anybody can sincerely say "just fill in a circle on a piece of paper" in the post-Gore-v-Bush world.

You guys still had mechanical voting machines though. And frankly that election was probably stolen by the supreme court being asshats about it.

Voting is far too important to technologize. You want it to be an effort which involves tens of thousands of people to count, tally, and run the polling stations, because it distributes and devalues the benefit of centralized fraud attempts - which are the only effective kind.

• Options

You guys still had mechanical voting machines though. And frankly that election was probably stolen by the supreme court being asshats about it.

Voting is far too important to technologize. You want it to be an effort which involves tens of thousands of people to count, tally, and run the polling stations, because it distributes and devalues the benefit of centralized fraud attempts - which are the only effective kind.
    You can count the ballots essentially instantly with a scantron type ballot counter.

ELM, do the bolded mean that you also oppose PantsB's preference for Scantrons, or does optical ballot tallying not count as "technologizing?"