As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to the [AI War], Destroyer of Worlds out now!

13»

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    If you rolled it up with Golems on Easy that's a pretty big advantage. The score will reflect it but using Golems without the penalties is also a lot of fun. Not that the other settings aren't fun. Exogalactic Strike Fleets are their own kind of fun.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm not on Easy. Have already seen at least one ESF - was at the ~10-15 minute mark, so not terribly intimidating.
    - Which reminds me... Shark-B is turned up. Need to keep that in mind. Brb gate raiding...

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Yeah they start out manageable enough. I'm interested to hear what you think of them after this game is finished, as well as the game in general.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Well, the exogalactics eventually got me. I managed to take out everything up through the Core Shield B's and got swarmed at an awkward time when I was prepping to take out the co-processors and go after the CSG A-primes.

The strategic element here is extraordinarily engaging but I'm not having much fun with the tactical level. Clearing out Tachyon posts in particular has turned into a real slog. Feels like there could be a setting somewhere for helping with this but I'm not sure what it would be.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Giving this thread a bump since it appears that a new expansion was released on monday. Haven't given it a try yet, but apparently it includes nomad planets, planet destroying goodies, plus new map layouts/ships/stuff for the AI to use against you

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Yep, just your typical AI War expansion with another couple hundred hours of gameplay added.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Finally got around to firing this up to try out the new expansion, and they've changed a few things. Crystal is no longer a resource, all metal all the time. They've also expanded on hacking. Before, there was what, two kinds of hacking? Sucking knowledge out of an AI-controlled planet, and a more recently added get your pick from three ship unlocks from an advanced research station. Now there is a full suite of things you can do, like temporarily give all your ships cloaking while disabling all of the AI's tachyon bits, corrupt the AI's ship data so they can no longer build a certain kind of ship, hack an advanced shipyard so you can build Tech IV ships at regular shipyards, and a few other things I can't recall off the top of my head. They also changed the mechanics so instead of each hack getting a larger response than the previous regardless of what the actual hack is, you have a 'pool' of known vulnerabilities in their network, that increases as AI progress goes up, and it's only bruteforcing when that pool runs out that gets the AI massively upset at you.

:edit: oh right, remembered another new hack option, sabotage AI structures, blowing them up without triggering any related AI progress increases or the like.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So my second playthrough is going well enough. (first one got wrecked because I overextended on hacking and foolishly triggered an AI reaction to advancing the fallen spire stuff with some assault waves incoming) Very nearly lost, but I managed to hold the line at the Spire Capital I had adjacent to my homeworld, and that was only because about 20k ships decided to chill out at my frontline fortress rather than push for my homeworld. I do not at all like the changes they made to the AI Carriers. Instead of popping and releasing their contents, now they transfer their damage to their contents, so you have to beat through up to 1000 ships worth of health while they blat at you with their carrier guns that scale up to the number of occupants. As you can imagine, this is not an optimal situation when the AI starts throwing 20+ fully-loaded carriers at you because I'm pretty sure one of them has a nienzul trait. It was a long, slow, and EMP-filled slog to reclaim my lost territory.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    I probably would have looked for something to nuke in that situation. But then if I get into that kind of position I tend to just start lighting matches and giggling at the flames.

Also, I just picked up the latest expac today along with The Last Federation's expac beta and Ground Pounders. I think I'm looking at a strategy heavy weekend. I'm definitely going to dust of AI War and get reacquainted. It's been a while since I've engaged in a suicidal last ditch bid for survival while wielding cosmic super weapons.

• Options
    I have got to say that these refinements to the economy are really nice. Just having Metal and Energy to worry about makes things a lot smoother on the production side of things. I really don't miss the Crystal resource at all. The economy just works so much better now.

And while I haven't gotten around to any hacking yet these hacking refinements look like they are really cool.

As far as my game's setup goes it's nothing special. Mid level difficulty with random simple AI and some Roaming Neinzul Enclaves at difficulty 4 for a bit of that wild card flavor without being too big of a factor. Despite my long break and all of the changes made it's like coming home to an old friend.