As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATEDNAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Social Entropy++
lok6e3y.png

T4CT on

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    This made me laugh more than it probably should have.

• Options
    In tech news I am probably going Verizon for my new cell provider because the Droid Turbo sounds super nice.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-9-announced-official

Windows 9 is officially official and it's called Windows 10

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    My VZW moto maker moto x just shipped! This is my first new phone since 2011.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6868695/microsoft-windows-9-announced-official

It's also using rolling updates and a subscription model like office 365....

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

This is incredible.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also that OP is stellar

• Options

I haven't seen anything but speculation about the subscription model yet. They haven't covered it yet at this event, anyway, as far as I have seen.

The only concrete info about upgrades for Windows 10 is that Windows 8 users will get a free upgrade.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

I haven't seen anything but speculation about the subscription model yet. They haven't covered it yet at this event, anyway, as far as I have seen.

The only concrete info about upgrades for Windows 10 is that Windows 8 users will get a free upgrade.

oh neat

wonder if that will cover OEM installs like on my laptop

• Options
    Beta program beginning tomorrow for consumer desktops and laptops.

Full product launch some time after the build conference middle of next year.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Whoa for real?

That is actually cool assuming windows 10 is an improvement.

• Options
    There's a lot of ambiguity at this event about the role of Windows 10 on smartphones. They're saying Windows 10 will be on phones, but won't have a desktop. Not sure yet what that means other than there is "common code" that tailored for specific device types.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Someone help me figure out a att phone plan

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Just remember, if this works like the Windows 7 (and I believe Windows 8) beta everybody participating in the beta gets a free one time upgrade to the retail client when it ends.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

personally, I'm on the mobile family share plan with my fambly. The Next 18 plan is, as far as I can tell, the best way to go. You get 10 gigs of shared data and then you personally put no money down on the phone and pay a nominal fee each month on top of the 15 dollars per line. So for instance for a 64 gb iphone 6, I'm paying 31 dollars a month + 15 bucks for the line, so 46 dollars total for me personally.

I guess they're trying to phase out two year contracts or something because it adds like 40 fucking dollars to your bill and is in no way worth it. On top of that you have to put money down on the phone up front and can't upgrade for longer.

Basically with Next 18, you would upgrade in 18 months, you just trade in your phone, you put no money down (again), and you get a new phone for the same price as always, unless it's a big upgrade. Like if you went from the 64 gb 6 to a 64 gb 6S Plus it would probably be like 34 versus 31 a month.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Basically with the Next plan, all you do is pay the taxes for the phone up front and that's it.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

Cel phone plans

Okay first you spin the wheel. If you get a joker you lose but if you get three jokers you win. Now if you get a red joker...

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Topic should be: is there a chance the phone can bend? Not a chance my Hindu friend!

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

personally, I'm on the mobile family share plan with my fambly. The Next 18 plan is, as far as I can tell, the best way to go. You get 10 gigs of shared data and then you personally put no money down on the phone and pay a nominal fee each month on top of the 15 dollars per line. So for instance for a 64 gb iphone 6, I'm paying 31 dollars a month + 15 bucks for the line, so 46 dollars total for me personally.

I guess they're trying to phase out two year contracts or something because it adds like 40 fucking dollars to your bill and is in no way worth it. On top of that you have to put money down on the phone up front and can't upgrade for longer.

Basically with Next 18, you would upgrade in 18 months, you just trade in your phone, you put no money down (again), and you get a new phone for the same price as always, unless it's a big upgrade. Like if you went from the 64 gb 6 to a 64 gb 6S Plus it would probably be like 34 versus 31 a month.

HMMMMMM. Bluh, does this mean I have to go to a phone store

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That seems like a sneaky way of still having a twenty four month contract though.

Because you'll often end up going,well it's only six more months for a new phone, I'll just stay till the new one is announced. Especially if you want to stay with the same manufacture. Either that or you upgrade after 18 months and then wait out two upgrades.

It looks like an awesome data plan though.

• Options
    Plus you have to trade in your phone again which is money you could make by selling.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    qrunp648jz6l.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    There are no good cell phone plans, they're all varying levels of terrible.

• Options
    Be like me!

Buy outright!

Nowadays I think in Australia, it's is not a huge saving to go out right but there is some and I get 5gigs of data every 45 days and I have the flexibility to stop instantly. So that's nice.

• Options
    Also what do the cool kids use nowadays to share photos?

I feel I'm living in the past here but I'm still using photo bucket. And I have a feeling it might be old and rubbishy.

I mainly need it just to upload photos with image tags here and occasionally some where else. I know it sounds silly but I dislike photo buckets feature of adding url tags to the links as well.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

This is incredible.

I seem to remember reading somewhere back when windows 7 came out that it was actually the 8th version of the windows kernel despite being the 7th version of Windows for consumers. Windows Server was what threw that off so I think they're just correcting the numbering here. Still weird but I think that's they're reasoning.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    calling it Windows 10 is fucking dumb. Microsoft seems pathetic by doing this. like someone there thinks the reason OS X is popular is because it has X in the name

in other news i still cannot find an iPhone in person. everybody who stocks them is only getting 16GB models

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I feel I'm living in the past here but I'm still using photo bucket. And I have a feeling it might be old and rubbishy.

I mainly need it just to upload photos with image tags here and occasionally some where else. I know it sounds silly but I dislike photo buckets feature of adding url tags to the links as well.

It only does that if you select the link option that adds url tags to it. There are four choices when you pick a link, html embed tags, no tags, img tags, and url tags.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Or you could just use twitter or instagram.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    calling it Windows 10 is fucking dumb. Microsoft seems pathetic by doing this. like someone there thinks the reason OS X is popular is because it has X in the name

in other news i still cannot find an iPhone in person. everybody who stocks them is only getting 16GB models

Pathetic? Really? That seems a bit extreme.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Blake T wrote: »

I use picup:
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/picup/id354101378?mt=8

It's just imgur, but the interface for uploading from the phone is really nice and simple to use

Oh also if you're uploading to the forums, vanilla now let's you upload straight from the device

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

pathetic in the sense that they will just keep renaming windows and re-arranging the furniture thinking they can dupe the public into thinking "this time its different", rather than actually doing something bold in the direction of competing with Apple on the consumer front.

i mean, you can Control-V into Command Prompt now, so that's a start. but holy shit. that took a while

• Options
    edited October 2014

pathetic in the sense that they will just keep renaming windows and re-arranging the furniture thinking they can dupe the public into thinking "this time its different", rather than actually doing something bold in the direction of competing with Apple on the consumer front.

i mean, you can Control-V into Command Prompt now, so that's a start. but holy shit. that took a while

I mean I would say that windows 8 was pretty bold. Not very good. But bold and very different for sure. I'm not sure what you're expecting them to do.

And cherry picking the command prompt thing is kinda silly. It's not like that's the big new feature.

SirToasty on
  • Options

I mean I would say that windows 8 was pretty bold. Not very good. But bold and very different for sure. I'm not sure what you're expecting them to do.

build a new software ecosystem by a means other than bribing 3rd world developers to churn out garbage into their "app store" would be a good start

• Options

When you say compete with Apple, do you mean something like control 91.58% of the market?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category

build a new software ecosystem by a means other than bribing 3rd world developers to churn out garbage into their "app store" would be a good start

Do you mean like Windows 8/8.1? And the new revision to that, 10?

Don't get me wrong here, I dislike Microsoft just the same as I dislike Apple in that I find both companies practices deplorable, but you seem to have a bug pretty far up your butt in one particular direction.

• Options

I feel like that's something that isn't going to just happen in one OS cycle though. It seems pretty clear that they're trying to make something that people want to use. Windows 7 was great and it appears as though they're reverting back to that since 8 didn't go over very well.

• Options
    Yeah, I appreciate the feature in the forums. But once your upload something to the forums you can't unupload it.

• Options
    edited October 2014

When you say compete with Apple, do you mean something like control 91.58% of the market?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category

Do you mean like Windows 8/8.1? And the new revision to that, 10?

Don't get me wrong here, I dislike Microsoft just the same as I dislike Apple in that I find both companies practices deplorable, but you seem to have a bug pretty far up your butt in one particular direction.

really 91%, you're going to quote that with a straight face, like all those illegal license XP machines rotting in cubes worldwide really factor into the equation

almost no credible entities are building apps "for Windows 8" beyond microsoft itself. Especially not for the desktop. On the phone, they number in the dozens outside of the games category

Windows 8 isn't driving any new software innovation. Things just get ported to it. Microsoft looks at this and concludes that the problem is there aren't enough people using Windows 8, therefore the value proposition to developers isn't there. So it just needs to be marketed harder and tuned more to get more people to use it. But I would argue the problem is nobody is using Windows 8 because there's no good goddamn reason to. They just disrupt things and the user is not getting much in return.

An easy way to get users to give a shit would be to get some good apps for Metro and make the risks pay off. Do that by improving the developer tools and making people actually *want* to work with Windows. Making Metro optional and halfheartedly turning the apps into a new type of application Window is just another pile of broken promises.

What I would like to see if for them to pick a direction and go. I was for Windows 8 when it was announced. I installed the first public build possible and haven't let go. But it's not been handled properly. Windows 10 looks like lucwarm compromise that does nobody any favors. It takes the only significant thing about Windows 8 and seems to sweep it off to the side as though it were offering an apology

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    In talking to Tankhammer I know I could be doing a lot better phone plan wise than I am.

Paying something like $100 a month on T-mobile.

$12 of that is some insurance bullshit I should get rid of. I should probably get my phone switched out for a shiny one that hasn't been dropped a million times before I do.

$20 is for the phone itself.

Then $35 for the lowest number of minutes, +5 for texts, and $25 for unlimited data

which I only use like 2GB of. But I don't know that there are any options cheaper than that

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
This discussion has been closed.