As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah, I appreciate the feature in the forums. But once your upload something to the forums you can't unupload it.

Very true

Well have a go with picup and see what you think

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    calling it Windows 10 is fucking dumb. Microsoft seems pathetic by doing this. like someone there thinks the reason OS X is popular is because it has X in the name

in other news i still cannot find an iPhone in person. everybody who stocks them is only getting 16GB models

Pathetic? Really? That seems a bit extreme.

pathetic in the sense that they will just keep renaming windows and re-arranging the furniture thinking they can dupe the public into thinking "this time its different", rather than actually doing something bold in the direction of competing with Apple on the consumer front.

i mean, you can Control-V into Command Prompt now, so that's a start. but holy shit. that took a while

When you say compete with Apple, do you mean something like control 91.58% of the market?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category
    calling it Windows 10 is fucking dumb. Microsoft seems pathetic by doing this. like someone there thinks the reason OS X is popular is because it has X in the name

in other news i still cannot find an iPhone in person. everybody who stocks them is only getting 16GB models

pathetic in the sense that they will just keep renaming windows and re-arranging the furniture thinking they can dupe the public into thinking "this time its different", rather than actually doing something bold in the direction of competing with Apple on the consumer front.

i mean, you can Control-V into Command Prompt now, so that's a start. but holy shit. that took a while

I mean I would say that windows 8 was pretty bold. Not very good. But bold and very different for sure. I'm not sure what you're expecting them to do.

build a new software ecosystem by a means other than bribing 3rd world developers to churn out garbage into their "app store" would be a good start

Do you mean like Windows 8/8.1? And the new revision to that, 10?

Don't get me wrong here, I dislike Microsoft just the same as I dislike Apple in that I find both companies practices deplorable, but you seem to have a bug pretty far up your butt in one particular direction.

really 91%, you're going to quote that with a straight face, like all those illegal license XP machines rotting in cubes worldwide really factor into the equation

almost no credible entities are building apps "for Windows 8" beyond microsoft itself. Especially not for the desktop. On the phone, they number in the dozens outside of the games category

Windows 8 isn't driving any new software innovation. Things just get ported to it. Microsoft looks at this and concludes that the problem is there aren't enough people using Windows 8, therefore the value proposition to developers isn't there. So it just needs to be marketed harder and tuned more to get more people to use it. But I would argue the problem is nobody is using Windows 8 because there's no good goddamn reason to. They just disrupt things and the user is not getting much in return.

An easy way to get users to give a shit would be to get some good apps for Metro and make the risks pay off. Do that by improving the developer tools and making people actually *want* to work with Windows. Making Metro optional and halfheartedly turning the apps into a new type of application Window is just another pile of broken promises.

What I would like to see if for them to pick a direction and go. I was for Windows 8 when it was announced. I installed the first public build possible and haven't let go. But it's not been handled properly. Windows 10 looks like lucwarm compromise that does nobody any favors. It takes the only significant thing about Windows 8 and seems to sweep it off to the side as though it were offering an apology

I don't see what's wrong with changing Metro apps to be windowed. That sounds great. You're right that the split in software was a problem. But there's no reason to abandon either of them. Seems to make a lot of sense to just merge them into one. Really what's the difference between "app store" apps and what I'm using on my laptop with Windows 7? Do they really need to build a new ecosystem from the ground up?

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Metro apps are awful. I am glad they are sort of abandoning them.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm@chrishallett83‌

I got the Audioengine A2s yesterday and they sound fantastic.

Pro recs 5 stars A+++

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    sweet!

poo
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Metro apps are awful. I am glad they are sort of abandoning them.

awful by choice, not by necessity

Microsoft has been trying to pull the quality of their apps out of the 90's since, well, the 90's. And it's been a trail of tears pretty much since the beginning. A lot of this is because they talk a big game and then pull out when the heat is applied.

I can see the value prop here for Windows 7 users. You get a few years worth of kernel updates and you don't have to look at metro. What's the value prop for Windows 8 users exactly? I already have the option to make my Metro apps into windows. All 10 does is make it the default. Does it do anything other than take the money of 7 holdouts? I don't see it.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

When you say compete with Apple, do you mean something like control 91.58% of the market?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category

I mean I would say that windows 8 was pretty bold. Not very good. But bold and very different for sure. I'm not sure what you're expecting them to do.

build a new software ecosystem by a means other than bribing 3rd world developers to churn out garbage into their "app store" would be a good start

Don't get me wrong here, I dislike Microsoft just the same as I dislike Apple in that I find both companies practices deplorable, but you seem to have a bug pretty far up your butt in one particular direction.

really 91%, you're going to quote that with a straight face, like all those illegal license XP machines rotting in cubes worldwide really factor into the equation

almost no credible entities are building apps "for Windows 8" beyond microsoft itself. Especially not for the desktop. On the phone, they number in the dozens outside of the games category

Windows 8 isn't driving any new software innovation. Things just get ported to it. Microsoft looks at this and concludes that the problem is there aren't enough people using Windows 8, therefore the value proposition to developers isn't there. So it just needs to be marketed harder and tuned more to get more people to use it. But I would argue the problem is nobody is using Windows 8 because there's no good goddamn reason to. They just disrupt things and the user is not getting much in return.

An easy way to get users to give a shit would be to get some good apps for Metro and make the risks pay off. Do that by improving the developer tools and making people actually *want* to work with Windows. Making Metro optional and halfheartedly turning the apps into a new type of application Window is just another pile of broken promises.

What I would like to see if for them to pick a direction and go. I was for Windows 8 when it was announced. I installed the first public build possible and haven't let go. But it's not been handled properly. Windows 10 looks like lucwarm compromise that does nobody any favors. It takes the only significant thing about Windows 8 and seems to sweep it off to the side as though it were offering an apology

Let's take 1/3 of all Windows licenses out of the equation then, since it gets pirated so much. What % of market share would that mean Apple would hold, up from 6%? 20%?

And what do we do about the illegal copies of OS on hackintoshes and things like that?

Apple are crushing things in the tablet market. They seem about even with Android in the phone market (for internet usage stats. dunno about actual numbers of handsets sold, do dumbphones still sell best?).

But pretending Apple is a serious contender for the #1 slot in the personal computer (beige box, laptop, netbook) market is delusional at best.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Let's take 1/3 of all Windows licenses out of the equation then, since it gets pirated so much. What % of market share would that mean Apple would hold, up from 6%? 20%?

And what do we do about the illegal copies of OS on hackintoshes and things like that?

Apple are crushing things in the tablet market. They seem about even with Android in the phone market (for internet usage stats. dunno about actual numbers of handsets sold, do dumbphones still sell best?).

But pretending Apple is a serious contender for the #1 slot in the personal computer (beige box, laptop, netbook) market is delusional at best.

Last I saw, Android devices made up ~50% of all smartphones in the US, iPhone made up ~40%, the remaining ~10% is WP, BB, Symbian, etc. Worldwide, something like 70% of smartphones are running Android of various builds. I don't know about feature phones vs smartphones.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Android has infinitely more marketshare because they encapsulate the sub-$300 market

Also I came reeaaallly close to buying a moto360 online today because they were back in stock but I spent all my money on camping gear instead

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Also I came reeaaallly close to buying a moto360 online today because they were back in stock but I spent all my money on camping gear instead

so you can camp out for the LG G Round?

I'm hoping the good ones will be out next year when I have money again

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    My Audio purchases (all within last 3 months)

For Desktop/Speakerphone: Fugoo Sport

For Gym/Sport: Plantronics Backbeat Fit

For Travel/Privacy: Logitech UE 9000

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    In talking to Tankhammer I know I could be doing a lot better phone plan wise than I am.

Paying something like $100 a month on T-mobile.

$12 of that is some insurance bullshit I should get rid of. I should probably get my phone switched out for a shiny one that hasn't been dropped a million times before I do.

$20 is for the phone itself.

Then $35 for the lowest number of minutes, +5 for texts, and $25 for unlimited data

which I only use like 2GB of. But I don't know that there are any options cheaper than that

Well, if you're in the US and already get good service with T-mobile why not switch to the $30 a month pre-paid plan? That gives you 100 minutes and ulimited texts and data (5GB at 4g speeds). Only real downside is you loose tethering and the highspeed data is only if you're connected to T-mobiles network, no roaming.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    So I got an invite to buy the OnePlus One. Been seriously thinking about switching to T-Mobile from Verizon to save money, anyway, so I guess I might as well go ahead and buy this phone and make the switch. My friend who just got this phone really likes it so far.

T-Mobile is still paying people's early termination fees, right?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Should be!

Also the OnePlus One is a nice phone! I was rather impressed when a guy brought one into work

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll

its not about the entire market, it's about the market that Microsoft is trying to access. i have more on this but it will take like 15 parapraphs

but more urgently, in "hahaha holy fuck" news, it has been postulated by some, including ex-Microsoft veterans, that the reason the name windows 9 was skipped is because some legacy software may have contained checks of the operating system name to respond to Windows 95 and 98 special conditions.... they would do that by parsing the string "Windows 9"

which is... amazing.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that actually makes the most sense out of any conjecture about the Windows 10 name change I've heard so far

And uh, just to cross-post from the Programming Thread: Anybody know of a good app that can convert image files to .pdf, be called from the win command line and produce files of comparable compression to Adobe Acrobat's conversion tools? I've been playing around with a few but the customer is less than pleased with the results and this problem got dropped in my lap last minute the other day so I don't have a lot of money/resources to tackle it with.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    not in windows command line, sadly no. i can do it in OS X terminal though..

edited October 2014
    I found them a pretty good one but they don't like how it does the conversion because the files end up coming out on the large side (file size that is) vs adobe. Like 800kb vs 80kb. But there's no image fidelity loss which is what I was told was the priority and augh I don't want to think about this

Naphtali on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Have you looked at Imagemagik? It's originally Linux based but I know there's official Windows binaries available. Its conversion tools are very robust.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Bowen just mentioned that one over in the programming thread as well, I'll give it a whirl in the morning. Thanks!

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    ImageMagick is the first thing I thought of too: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/command-line-processing.php

There's a short PDF example at the end of that, but I'm sure there are more options if you dig into the documentation. Haven't used it myself though, I mainly use it for simple batch processing stuff.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I am going to start referring to new Windows as "Win Ten Ten."

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I downloaded the Windows 10 preview build for some reason.

I might install it on something this weekend for a laugh.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    So what's the deal with the bendy phones? Like I saw one picture of a phone a dude supposedly put in his pocket and it was bent into a right angle.it's like goddamn I want to see the ass that did that.

the 6's are squishier than most popular phones but still technically quite durable. it takes serious force to bend one on accident, but it's plausible

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, Consumer Reports ran pressure tests and the iPhone 6 took something like 90lbs of force to bend permanently. For comparison, the Note 3 took something like 150lbs?

jgeis on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    In talking to Tankhammer I know I could be doing a lot better phone plan wise than I am.

Paying something like $100 a month on T-mobile.

$12 of that is some insurance bullshit I should get rid of. I should probably get my phone switched out for a shiny one that hasn't been dropped a million times before I do.

$20 is for the phone itself.

Then $35 for the lowest number of minutes, +5 for texts, and $25 for unlimited data

which I only use like 2GB of. But I don't know that there are any options cheaper than that

Well, if you're in the US and already get good service with T-mobile why not switch to the $30 a month pre-paid plan? That gives you 100 minutes and ulimited texts and data (5GB at 4g speeds). Only real downside is you loose tethering and the highspeed data is only if you're connected to T-mobiles network, no roaming.

I can vouch for this plan.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Yeah, Consumer Reports ran pressure tests and the iPhone 6 took something like 90lbs of force to bend permanently. For comparison, the Note 3 took something like 150lbs?

Still don't understand who's keeping phones in their back pocket so they get introduced to that kind of force in the first place.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Still don't understand who's keeping phones in their back pocket so they get introduced to that kind of force in the first place.

I think some people sit on their phones for some reason.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I sit on my phone most of the time

unless I'm sitting on, like, concrete

and if I'm sitting, I probably have my phone out anyway dorkin around on it

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Sitting on phones is so weird to me because it seems like it'd be super uncomfortable having one buttcheek being constantly pressed by a hard block of plastic.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Sitting on phones is so weird to me because it seems like it'd be super uncomfortable having one buttcheek being constantly pressed by a hard block of plastic.

This is why i've never carried anything in a back pocket, much less an expensive piece of electronics equipment that I value highly.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    i got a weird butt

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I carry my phone in the left back pocket all the time. You just take it out when you sit down. My front pockets keep my keys and money clip, neither of which I want around the screen of my phone.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I thought the initial reports of the bendy phones were from people putting them in their front pockets and still ending up with curved phones.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I thought the initial reports of the bendy phones were from people putting them in their front pockets and still ending up with curved phones.

This is even more mind boggling.

How are they even applying that much force to their front pocket?

rhylith on
    tight pants or weird pockets. the most prominent complaint I heard about was the guy who was at a wedding

suit pants pockets can be... strange. They are simultaneously large but not particularly spacious. so you can have a giant phone like a 6plus sitting horizontally in your suit pocket, and when you sit down it gets bent over the contour of your leg quite firmly

This discussion has been closed.