As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sims 4 : Come Play Dolls With Me! :D

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I kind of want a character that is good and insane and every other sim in the game has the evil + criminal/mischief traits.
    Paranoid schizophrenic hijinks ensues.

What if you were crazy and thought everyone was out to get you?
    What if they actually were?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I made a single guy that has douchey hair, wears black tank tops with black jeans and black boots, and has a sleeve tattoo. His aspiration is to be a mixologist and the trait I gave him that I want to define him is "bro."

He will completely ignore women to be a bro with another bro. Wondering if a bromance will happen.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Downloaded the character creator for this. Probably shouldn't have, it isn't helping my resolve to hold off for winter sales.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Don't know if anyone is interested. But my wife ended up picking up the game, and wanted a version of a skirt she has and put me to work. Figured some of you might like it as its a Tardis skirt. I think it came out pretty decently.

DrWhoSkirt_zpsc2c239c4.jpg
    http://bit.ly/1udK26u (Dropbox link to the .package)

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Coming tomorrow: g-g-g-g-g-g-g-gh?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I will only accept ghosts if I get to build unlicensed nuclear accelerators to bust 'em with.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

Well that's good timing. I got a message from the game that my first two Sims' times are almost up so I should settle their affairs.

Now they can haunt the shit out of their son.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Picked up this game a few days ago.
    Things I like/love/absolutely adore:

+Animations. By god they're great. Going the 'animation' animation route was a great design choice. It minimises any uncanny valley stuff going on (as does the simpler aesthetic) but it does seem a little silly when Sims go through their meals with a huge persistent shit-eating grin between mouthfuls.
    +The CAS itself is great. I don't tend to buy into pre-release hype but the push-pull system really is quite intuitive over TS3's sliders. I'm disappointed by the lack of color-picker and texture replacement (that gave amazing depth to clothing and character creation) but its a loss I can handle.
    +Similarly, the building tools are really much more potent. Picking up rooms and rearranging shit is such a breeze. Adjusting heights and objects, really great. Categorising items makes searching for shit simple and never frustrates me. My only nitpick would be that I can't seem to create two-tier levels as raising foundations seems to raise the entire house universally. I managed to play around with the room-building features and create a quick-fix solution (by deleting a floor) but that doesn't seem like something I'd be able to apply on a second storey.

Things that make me go eeeeehhhh:

-The social interaction stuff itself seems a little thin. To be sure, what new features I've encountered so far I enjoy quite a lot. Moodlets coming into interplay with the overall mood is great. It puts more game into the social interactions. But some of the conversation choices don't seem to feel all that different between each other and it seems like there's only a single soundbyte for every interaction. Also Sims on autopilot are absolutely godawful, but as far as I can tell for me they aren't dying or passing out or anything unless I gave them a skill-building task. They're just mostly in a shitty mood most of the time.
    -I try not to jump onto the complaints bandwagon but the base game really feels less feature-rich in general. The number of lots available is much, much smaller, the neighbourhoods feel tiny, and overall it just feels like there's less to do. I enjoyed the persistent overworld present in TS3 (though the amount of autonomy I felt was quite alarming when I went back to a household I hadn't played for quite some time and two of the sims in a relationship somehow both got engaged to 2 random NPCs wat). To me, at the end of the day this feels like a smaller world that's just a little less alive.

This is in comparison to the base games, by the way. I'm sure over time The Sims 4 will gain a lot of fresh, new depth and eventually will surpass The Sims 3 entirely, but I can help but feel a little bit down over what's missing. I didn't get TS3 for quite some time (and kept playing with TS2), but even playing the base game without expansion packs felt like a complete upgrade across the board. This game, not so much.
    I'm still enjoying the shit out of it though, mainly because of the character creation and the house-building.
    (If anyone wants to fill up their neighbourhood with random strangers, my Origin ID is satsugaikaze. I'm actually kinda proud of what little designing I do, and I try and make an effort not to plague Sims all the time with caricature proportions or overtly garish makeup.)

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I'm loving sims4. I hate to say it though but I'm thirsty for more content.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Picked up this game a few days ago.

*words words words*

I really agree with most of what you say here, both positive and negative. In particular, I like the animations, multi-tasking, and create-a-sim, but the overall game doesn't feel like quite as much of an upgrade as Sims 3 did over Sims 2. Sure, graphically it's nice but it's not a gigantic leap over the previous game, particularly not for how much we had to give up in order to achieve that. Overall the neighborhood is tiny compared to Sims 3, and then it's divided up into even tinier segments, and even then you have to load to get to any individual property within that tiny little segment of a tiny neighborhood. Plus no swimming pools, basements, multi-tiered homes, or create-a-style. That final is still a huge deal to me; I mean, if I was told that create-a-style was such a huge resource hog and so it had to be removed in order to keep the large neighborhood or lack of loading screens, I could totally believe that. But taking all that away and then also taking away create-a-style tells me this game's engine really isn't out-pacing Glassbox.

Overall this is an enjoyable Sims game, but I just feel like too much is being held back in order to sell it later.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think that the fruits of their labors will show in coming expansions. They basically did a full reset to retool the engine and it might be capable of some sweet things later on when they have the time to add them.

Like right now, there are almost zero benefits to having it all confined to one lot. But I have a feeling that opens up some things eventually that they haven't explored yet.

The game plays very well with almost no drawbacks for someone like me who never played 2 and 3 and it basically plays like a TRUE sequel to the first game instead of going in the different directions of 2 and 3. Almost like they are two different series.

Of course if nothing neat ever comes in expansions then I would consider it to have been a waste to do everything over. But only time will tell with that.

I still have a lot of fun with it and am still only on my first household but I also need to either stay up extremely late and get 5 hours of sleep or not really play. Doesn't help that we have one real PC here and my wife recently rediscovered he love of Simtower (the original, only runs in DOSBox one) and has been playing that most nights when I come home.

• Options
    Plus no swimming pools, basements, multi-tiered homes

...What do you mean by this?

You can definitely build multi-story houses (up to 3 floors).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't mind if they spew out a pile of expansions for Sims 4 (because I'd only get actual expansions - fuck stuff packs) so long as the base game turns out to be a better foundation for them.

I'm hoping against hope that it doesn't turn into a huge unoptimised mess like Sims 3 does if you install all the expansions.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Plus no swimming pools, basements, multi-tiered homes

Oh I know you can build multiple stories, I was talking about the way the house has to all be on the same foundation, which all moves together. My wording may have not been exact for what I was trying to say.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Good news on the expansion front. Looks like loads of free content is coming our way.
    Sims 4 October Announcement

Spoilered for hugeness. Emphasis mine
    It’s hard to believe it’s been a month since we launched The Sims 4, but in that short time we’ve received a ton of great feedback as you’ve started exploring the game. We’ve designed The Sims 4 to be a live service, so we can continually evolve the experience, add new content, and incorporate as much of your feedback as possible. That’s what I’m here to talk about today.

So let’s get to it. Live RIGHT NOW is the first of three major game updates coming to The Sims 4 over the next three months, each with new features, new content and more. The updates will be free for everyone playing The Sims 4 who downloads the latest patch, and yes, there will be pools!

First, a rundown on the October update:

October brings the spoooooky addition of Ghosts to The Sims 4. Your dead Sims can now rejoin the world of the living, where they maintain all the attributes they had a as a Sim, but with special new behaviors based on how they died. Invite them to join your Sims’ household and they can be playable characters; if you dare, you might even find a way to bring your ghosts back to life.

• Did you feel that disturbance in The Force? It was probably our new Star Wars Costume Set. Outfit your Sims in Luke Skywalker’s X-wing pilot suit, Leia’s white robes and awesome cinnamon buns, Darth Vader’s suit and, yes, even Yoda. I mean, who out there hasn’t dressed as Yoda for Halloween, right? Now you can in The Sims 4, too!

• Community requests like new eye colors are in there, too. I have personally just given all my Sims purple eyes. Because I can. We’ve also fixed a few minor bugs as well.

Next come two more major updates:

In November, get your Sim-suits ready (too much pun? Sorry!) because pools will make their triumphant debut in The Sims 4.

December is Put-Your-Sims-To-Work Month, as we introduce new Career paths and rewards.

All of these updates will be free for our players in The Sims 4. Just log in to Origin and download the patches as we release them. Each update will be full of great content and some surprises. Think that gnomes only live in gardens? Clearly, you’re not playing enough of The Sims 4.

Our players are just the best. Period. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy seeing so many creations from The Sims 4 shared in The Gallery, in forums and streams on Twitch. One of my recent faves is Deligracy’s speed build video of the “Not so Dusty Turf” Family Home. The details and her commentary are spectacular (whispers to Deligracy: I’ve also glued eyes onto cactus plants to make them look like people too). This is why all of us working on The Sims 4 just love making this game – the creativity that comes to life in our community is like nothing else. Please keep showing us more, we can’t get enough.

We’ve been keeping our ears and eyes on all of the comments and questions you have about The Sims 4. It’s awesome to be able to help with tips and tricks for some questions right away:

• For example – looking for the old camera control system? Just hit Shift-Alt-Tab in live mode!

• Another one – perhaps you’re moving your first family into their first home, did you know you can choose from more than just the vacant homes? You can bulldoze a lot or evict some NPC Sims, no red tape required!

• OK one more – did you know you can change your Sims’ Aspirations at any time? Click the star button on the bottom right corner in Live mode to open the Aspirations panel, then click the star button on the right side and you’ll see all available Aspirations. If your Sim with the Evil trait just can't find love on his mission to become the town player, then maybe switching to pursue the Deviance aspiration will be more up his alley.

Other topics may take a bit more time. We know our players on Mac are looking to hear more. We are working on it. When we have more to share, we’ll bring the news to you right here.

We look forward to sharing more about the November and December content updates right here as we get closer to release. We’re also exploring new features and some expansion packs for further down the line, and we’re always listening to your feedback to help us decide what to build. We’ve said from the beginning that The Sims 4 is all about endless play possibilities, and we hope each of these updates add fun new dimensions to your experience.

Happy Simming!

TLDR: Ghosts and Star Wars costumes now, pools and more careers later. All for free.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Huh, that's pretty cool.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Wow. I expected them to make us pay for pools and ghosts.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    "Stuff that didn't make the release cut, but we wanted to include."

In the past, companies would have charged for this. Is this an indication of EA's "Player First" policy taking effect? Probably not, but maybe.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "Stuff that didn't make the release cut, but we wanted to include."

In the past, companies would have charged for this. Is this an indication of EA's "Player First" policy taking effect? Probably not, but maybe.

They have put in features outside of expansions before. A lot of the expansion releases for 3 involved also adding features to the base game.

It also makes good business sense right now. They need to lure people who haven't taken the plunge yet because they're still playing 3. Adding more features makes 4 more attractive while it's still at full price.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Gaaaaaahhhhh no joke I really wanted proton packs. :(

I mean, it's a stupid thing to expect in any way, but c'mon. It's the 30th anniversary for Ghostbusters and Harold Ramis recently passed away.

Bustin' makes me (and by extension my Sims) feel good!

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I was a bit annoyed after seeing that Dragon age has a better character creator than sims 4 (color wheels everywhere!) but hearing about all the free patch stuff makes me happy to be wrong about them nickel and diming players for the content.

• Options
    Dragon Age only needs to load and render one player customized model, Sims needs to load multiple characters, objects, house textures, etc, etc, etc.

Both games character creator systems look like the best available so far for their genres. I love Sims 4's creator.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Dragon Age only needs to load and render one player customized model, Sims needs to load multiple characters, objects, house textures, etc, etc, etc.
    Loading a customized model is one thing (and not that big of a deal, but I'll come to that later), but all the other things you list are common to all games. Dragon Age: Inquisition will also need objects, textures, etc, etc. Any game only needs to load the assets immediately in use (or, in optimistic cases, those about to be in use) into memory - it doesn't matter if you've got a thirteen story gothic mansion on another lots, Sims 4 doesn't care about it until you load it up. Just like any other "level" or area in any other game.

The funny thing about customized models is that they're probably not going to be any more expensive to render in most situations. You're not (probably) adding additional vertices, you're just shifting their location and layering decals on textures over the mesh. So every customized character will roughly cost a similar amount to render.

But most of the time, it doesn't matter. You're facing away from the camera, and z-buffer culling says "hey, the camera can't see this shit, don't bother rendering it." When it does matter is if you're in a dialog or whatever and there's an extreme close up with the higher poly count model you customized at creation.

The other thing is that you can scale down the detail of the model, take mathematical averages or whatever, when the camera is far away. So in most cases, DAI's customized model isn't going to be any more taxing on the machine than any other similarly articulated character.

The differences in the two creators just boils down to art style. And, to me, whether or not I can import the faces other people spend a ton of time customizing.

• Options
    You're not modifying any of those things in Dragon Age. It doesn't need to load all the user-created customizations for those.

Sims 3 let you do what you're talking about, for every object and character. It also had insanely long load times.

• Options
    You're not modifying any of those things in Dragon Age. It doesn't need to load all the user-created customizations for those.

Sims 3 let you do what you're talking about, for every object and character. It also had insanely long load times.

Sims 3 was "open", Sims 4 has much smaller lots. And I still stand by the fact that changing the color of the texture is not that intensive. I'm pretty sure "render texture" and "render texture with color ff593904" is probably about the same. I'm not talking about allowing texture changes in CaS, just colors.

• Options
    Having talked with a few folks about it, I think the best solution (God knows if it'll happen or not) would be to create a Create a Style tool that's separate from the game engine. You make your textures outside the game, it only has to load them once (when you import from the tool), and everyone is (sort-of) happy.

Release it as free DLC or part of a $$$ content expansion.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited October 2014

We could probably fill a book on why Sims 3 had long load times, but the short answer is that the problem isn't custom content* but how the game fetches objects from disk, stores them in memory, and renders them to the screen.

There's a longer answer too, but I'm phone posting.

*...Probably. See longer answer.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    From what I'm seeing at least, custom content is a thing. How does that work out? It's certainly looking like a fair alternative but it looks like there's a fair amount of wrangling required just like CC from previous games.

Something like this:
    xdNoaLK.png

Or more succinctly, something like this:
    GhknsrL.png

• Options
    From what I'm seeing at least, custom content is a thing. How does that work out? It's certainly looking like a fair alternative but it looks like there's a fair amount of wrangling required just like CC from previous games.

Something like this:
    xdNoaLK.png

Or more succinctly, something like this:
    GhknsrL.png

Custom content for the game is easy enough to make if you have the skills / tools, and users are making a go of it, but it'll be a while before we have the enormous database of 3rd party stuff like we do for Sims 3.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It seems like making edited version of current models for clothes is easy (just make a texture and add it to a shirt for a graphical tee) but the modeling seems to be well beyond most people.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    It seems like making edited version of current models for clothes is easy (just make a texture and add it to a shirt for a graphical tee) but the modeling seems to be well beyond most people.

That's usually been the case. On top of needing to make the model itself, there's having to make sure it plays nice with animations and body types.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

That's usually been the case. On top of needing to make the model itself, there's having to make sure it plays nice with animations and body types.

Yup.

Sims 4 does seem to have a bit of Supreme Commander syndrome, though: even thought the game is easy to build mods for, the fidelity of the in game models means there's a higher effective barrier to entry because you need to be pretty talented to make stuff that compares to what's in the game.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    That's never stopped people making custom content before with Sims 3 (sometimes custom content that doesn't really match/compare to what's in game, mind you). I suspect the Sims 4 models aren't necessarily that much more advanced than the Sims 3 ones (not that I know this for sure, since I've not looked into it in depth). Though the style of the textures is very different and it'll be interesting to see how many creators will try to actually match to that more cartoony style or try to just change the style of everything to their more favored "realistic" styled textures. But people are already starting to make some completely new things for Sims 4, actually, it's just baby steps right now because the tools don't fully support everything yet. That always takes a bit of time.

• Options
    At the end of the day, nothing beats an in-built texture replacing system, but for what it's worth I think every mechanic I've seen so far has its place.

I think the main social interactions I enjoy the most are group conversations at the moment, because they establish fairly naturally and theres enough variety in the voices to get past all the canned animations.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    So the first expansion is out.

£35.

They've added ghosts.

Sims 4 launched, what ? 3 weeks ago ?

Ah, EA, how I'm missed your rip-off antics.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

£35.

They've added ghosts.

Where are you seeing the "expansion" on the store? All I see is a notice saying "Get Spooky" advertising the October update. The price you're seeing is just for the game (Sims 4) itself.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

£35.

They've added ghosts.

Where are you seeing the "expansion" on the store? All I see is a notice saying "Get Spooky" advertising the October update. The price you're seeing is just for the game (Sims 4) itself.

Ah, ok. I'm seeing the same thing but it looks like an advert for an expansion.

"Ghosts have arrived. £34.84. See how to live it up in the afterlife and scare your Sims."

I'm still blaming EA, but I'm changing what I'm blaming them FOR.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

£35.

They've added ghosts.

"Ghosts have arrived. £34.84. See how to live it up in the afterlife and scare your Sims."

I'm pretty sure that's the price of the full game you are seeing. It's currently on a 33% sale in the EA store.

Vic on
  • Options
    Vic wrote: »

£35.

They've added ghosts.

I'm pretty sure that's the price of the full game you are seeing. It's currently on a 33% sale in the EA store.
    Link?