As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    All you fellow C&C nerds will be thrilled to know there's terrain/building with experimental rules like...firing lasers at things.

Like...we can make C&C happen.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Quick question for shaltari if we got any players in here, can a shaltari player pick up a unit with one of his gates and than have that unit disembark from another gate across the table ? is that how their gates work or are they more like transports in once your in that transport you can only get out of that one etc ?

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    First, you guys are terrible for making this thread.

Second, if I picked up the 2 player starter, would more one of those uber cheap UCM starters be overkill?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I asked the same question last page. Basic consensus is it's probably a big too much basic stuff to start with, but it's great to build a bigger force off.

I'm really considering grabbing the 2 player starter this weekend. One of my local stores is doing a gaming weekend, and offering discounts if you take part in games and events through it. If I can work up a 10% discount, I should be able to convince my brother to grab the UCM.

If I just grab the 2 player starter, is the Desolator a good addition? I know it's the Scourges command vehicle, but it also looks big and expensive.

-Loki- on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Another starter generally gets you 2 more infantry squads and 3 dropships which are things you WILL need. Even ignoring the other models you get, that's still a huge discount over buying them separately.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Apparently I can't type, read or function in modern society. I meant to ask if I'd need more than one UCM starter in addtion to the 2 player box.

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Nah. After you have 4 infantry squads and a buttload of dropships you're pretty set.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    Quick question for shaltari if we got any players in here, can a shaltari player pick up a unit with one of his gates and than have that unit disembark from another gate across the table ? is that how their gates work or are they more like transports in once your in that transport you can only get out of that one etc ?

I don't play Shaltari, but from my reading of the rules that's correct. You can have your squad of grav tanks dematerialize through one gate and pop out through another gate across the table.

I figured that is the way they worked and was part of their shenanigans but I wasn't sure.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

If you get multiple starters, the only thing that you probably won't use 100% of is the APC's.

From what I've read (and my limited experience playing) APC's are a bit wonky in the standard city block games. You basically have to leave them out in the open, and they're juicy targets because if they get popped you really neuter someone's ability to move an objective off the board.

Light dropships replace a lot of the classic medium dropship/APC combo in most lists because they eliminate that and are faster/cheaper. Granted, they carry less infantry and are usually paper thin...but it's something to consider.

Having extra AA/MBT/Dropships/Infantry is pretty solid.

Most of the advice I've seen involved going two 3 base infantry blocks with APCs and two 2 base blocks in light dropships. The 3 base blocks are what you send after the more contested buildings where you are more likely to get into CQB (or eat falling masonry damage while you search).

In how big of a list? It's also worth pointing out that the infantry is mostly the same but a bit different...think same expected number of wounds inflicted in CQB, but with more dice or fewer bases or whatever. Falling Masonry adds another bit of flavor to that.

God, talking about this game makes me want to play it. Too bad I'm on the road for work all week :(

Clash level, Battle you may wanna use another 2 base squad in a light drop ship.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Hey!

I dont know what the @ are supposed to do. But I saw the thread.

I only got to play 1 demo game with a buddy who wasn't too well versed in the rules last year.

But another guy at the shop has played a lot more. He gave me another demo last week. It still seems fun. I just went and bought a bunch more PHR. So I'm hoping to play some more soon.

Looking at the prices for these starters. I may want to pick up Shaltari. I like the teleporting mechanic. Is there an expected release date for these new boxes?

Anyone here use bases for PHR models? They dont always stand up too well. I want to buy some.

Mr Mich: How did you magnetize these? I would really like to but I haven't done that too much before. My biggest hurdle is the tool used to create the holes for the magnets. I have a small pin vise, but it's too small for the magnets that I do own.

steam_sig.png
    PHR and Shaltari plastics came out 9/13 I think and UCM and Scourge plastics came out 9/27.

Efigures didn't have the Shaltari and PHR ones on the 13th, but they should have them by now

warder808 wrote: »
    Hey!

I dont know what the @ are supposed to do. But I saw the thread.

I only got to play 1 demo game with a buddy who wasn't too well versed in the rules last year.

But another guy at the shop has played a lot more. He gave me another demo last week. It still seems fun. I just went and bought a bunch more PHR. So I'm hoping to play some more soon.

Looking at the prices for these starters. I may want to pick up Shaltari. I like the teleporting mechanic. Is there an expected release date for these new boxes?

Anyone here use bases for PHR models? They dont always stand up too well. I want to buy some.

Mr Mich: How did you magnetize these? I would really like to but I haven't done that too much before. My biggest hurdle is the tool used to create the holes for the magnets. I have a small pin vise, but it's too small for the magnets that I do own.

The @ symbol gives someone a notification that they were mentioned in a post.

I just used an exacto knife to cut out the tabs. Unfortunately it makes it really difficult to center the magnet...

• VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Looks like there was a price adjustment at Miniature Market today. All of the preorder starters were $25 this morning, now they're $45.

steam_sig.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Frig. I almost did it today too, but I was like, "Nope, I'll wait 2 days for my budget to reset. It'll be fine."

Argh.

Hahaha.

For once buying things that I'll probably have no chance of playing for the foreseeable future payed off. Sadly they wouldn't let me preorder the PHR.

steam_sig.png
    Frig. I almost did it today too, but I was like, "Nope, I'll wait 2 days for my budget to reset. It'll be fine."

Argh.

For me it literally happened moments before my paycheck landed in my account.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    To be fair, for what they get you, the starters aren't necessarily expensive without that insane discount.

No they really aren't considering you can play with just that and even at MSRP they are still about half the cost of the old resin starters.

So I'll be at my FLGS playing some Warhammer tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they have one of the old starter sets. Should I be tempted to buy it because of the slightly nicer vehicles and much nicer infantry or should I be no tempted because of the higher price and older manual?

steam_sig.png
    Really, I think it all depends on if you have the money, I mean ultimately you're going to spend money on your hobby, it all depends on how much you're willing to lose on said hobby.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    No they really aren't considering you can play with just that and even at MSRP they are still about half the cost of the old resin starters.

Yeah, it's honestly not that bad on my end. I was going to pick up the Shaltari starter to trade for my friend's UCM from the box, but now I'm just going to trade it for the Conquest LCG core instead. Just means we're quite unlikely to wind up playing DZC soon. But whatever. It's a fun painting diversion in the meantime. :D

So I'll be at my FLGS playing some Warhammer tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they have one of the old starter sets. Should I be tempted to buy it because of the slightly nicer vehicles and much nicer infantry or should I be no tempted because of the higher price and older manual?

Try to haggle. If they're going to start getting plastic starters soon they're going to have trouble unloading the resin at full price. You may not get plastic prices but the resin is super nice.

That was the advice I got from the Hawk Wargames guy at NOVA when I was lamenting stores only having resin in stock.

So the older manual isn't worth worrying about?

steam_sig.png
    They put up a pdf with all the changes for free. If you don't mind referencing that, and not having an index, you'll be fine.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Going to have another demo game this Friday. This time a team up! PHR vs. Shaltari. Very excited.

I need to see where this changes pdf is.

steam_sig.png
    There are a few changes which if you didn't know was in the errata it'll be a shock (the change to falling masonry damage comes to mind).

As far as the difference in models, I've built both the plastic and resin versions of UCM (had bought the skirmish box a while ago and then the 2 player starter a month or so ago)

The tanks and infantry aren't measurable different, but the resin version of the tanks had less steps.

The plastic bears had more steps but looked measurable better than the resin since they didn't have a seam running directly down the middle

The plastic condors come with clear canopies (no need to paint), and felt "cleaner" to put together, but all 3 of them had necks that bent to the left behind the front set of wings.

Over all, even with the condor issues I pretty much preferred the plastics

warder808 wrote: »
    Going to have another demo game this Friday. This time a team up! PHR vs. Shaltari. Very excited.

I need to see where this changes pdf is.

@warder808 you can find them here. As mentioned, there are some pretty big changes. For example, the PHR MBT (er...MB...walker) has a rule that its accuracy rolls can never be modified more than +1. That is wholly absent from the 1.0 rulebook and was a pretty big change!

Points costs have also been adjusted for a handful of units, but if you're using their free army-building software then that's already taken care of for you.

Or maybe my FLGS has sold their copy and can't order the new boxes because their distributor is out of stock. I'm astonished at how good I am at resisting temptation.

steam_sig.png
    which distributor do they use? Efigures has a ton of each listed in stock right now.

I think Alliance. Not sure.

steam_sig.png
  • MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    How quick does the game play compared to other games?

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    all the battle reports I have seen its comparable to 40k or fantasy etc. Hour and a half for a small to medium sized game.

Part of that is that a lot of games tend to go down to the wire...from what I've read/experienced a lot of it is a full 6 turns.

• MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Hmm. It's one of the things I like in Warmachine. You can win it in turn 2 or 3.

I really like the models in DZC, will try to get a demo-game in somehow.

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    edited October 2014
    You like that?

I'm not saying the first 5 turns are irrelevant to the outcome. But I like that after a bad round of shooting or some crap rolls you're not like "well I guess I'll just pack it in, you blew up my Land Raider on turn one."

mr_mich on