As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alien Storm - blow youself up and order a new body

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Alienstormboxart.jpg

Alien Storm

ASMDTitle.PNG

I just watched the film Aliens, and part way through remembered a game I had and loved on the Mega Drive. Those were the days where you had about 5 games total ever, and just shared with friends. One/two of your games would be Sonic, one/two was a disney license, and then if you were lucky you got some other completely random games too.

One of my random games was "Alien Storm". I have never heard anyone ever talk about it apart from me and friends that played it with me. I am sure that were I to go back and play it now I would think it terrible, but I do not care, in my sentimental aging mind it is fantastic.

It was a scrolling beat 'em up, in a similar veign to Streets of Rage, staring 'The Alien Busters' Karen, Garth and Scooter, who have to take on hordes of aliens. But these are no ordinary aliens. They can shapeshift into everyday objects, like benches and bins.

alien-storm-6.png
Karen Jumps on top of an alien, while Scooter (my character of choice) stands idly by

The reason I love this game so much, is that it was so much fun back in the day. It had great coop, 3 types of levels (Normal Beat 'em up, running battle and Shooting Gallery) and it was so stupid it was fantastic. Scooters Special move was to explode, leaving just his head, then a new body would run on from the side of the screen, and reattach the head!

alien-storm-2.png
Garth looking macho as fuck

I just randomly thought of this game, and wanted to see if anyone else played it, or has similar memories of games they used to love, but probably wouldn't like at all now. Every now and again I get cynical about how with the internet and other ways that gaming culture has become more accessible and connected, there is much less opoertunity to play a game that you know nothing about before hand, and only have because your parents liked the picture, and you play and love it because it's one of the very few games you have.

note - sorry for the bad image links, imageshack appears to be down.

LewieP on

• GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    So wait you play this game by moving left to right instead of right to left? That's weird and blows.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »
    So wait you play this game by moving left to right instead of right to left? That's weird and blows.

haha, actually no, the characters just seem to be facing the left in both screenshots.

LewieP on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »

Wait.

Why would it be weird to move left to right?

slash000 on
  • varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think he has it backwards.

Normal beat'em ups move from left to right, like reading a book. Those shots look like they move from right to left (but they don't).

varland on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wasn't there a game that had you moving from right to left.

Couscous on
  • Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You move right to left in the last level of Streets of Rage. I don't know of a game that had every level like that though.

I remember one of my mom's friends played Contra 3 with me once and started going to the left and I was like "you gotta go the other way". She wouldn't listen though and kept running in place at the end of the screen. Then she got mad when she got killed by enemies that "came out of nowhere" from the left. Good times.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game is a pseudo-sequel to Alien Syndrome.

arcadeasyndrometitlesx3.gif
    alienarcade2sk8.png
    alienarcade3sd2.png

Man I love this game, and it's arcade counterpart. The ending is weird.

TheSonicRetard on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I used to play alien storm at Dixons before I got a Mega Drive.

At the time, it was so awesome. Pretty tough with eeevil bosses if I remember correctly, and a bloody hard Operation Wolf-style shooting section in a supermarket too, I think.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I played the hell out of Alien Storm in the arcade, so bought the Mega Drive version, which while good, was sadly lacking in comparison :(

If you haven't tried the arcade version Lewie, track it down, you'll absolutely love it.

I did love the Mega Drive's ending where they do their little own dance number during the credits!

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had this game... it was one of the first Genesis games I ever owned. Was hard as hell and never did beat it. I was able to get up to the last level, but just barely... because of this game and a few others I really hated the notion of limited continues.

The quick running levels and the shooter game levels were pretty cool for it's time.

Nitsua on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This game is a pseudo-sequel to Alien Syndrome.
    arcadeasyndrometitlesx3.gif
    alienarcade2sk8.png
    alienarcade3sd2.png

Man I love this game, and it's arcade counterpart. The ending is weird.

The remake of that on the PSP/Wii was disappointing. Don't ask me how they botched shooting big aliens with bigger guns...

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why did we get lamey old Golden Axe when we could have had this on XBLA?

I was a borrower of this game. It was much awesome, but suffered from the Golden Axe issue of really wishy-washy collisions; Streets of Rage is great because you actually feel the connection when you smack someone.

My Disney game was World of Illusion. And it was awesome. (Castle of Illusion on Master System holds my heart though... first game I ever completed and realised that games didn't actually go on forever).

Lewisham on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TeeMan wrote: »
    The remake of that on the PSP/Wii was disappointing. Don't ask me how they botched shooting big aliens with bigger guns...

Well, a good chunk of people around here liked it. I was looking forward to it, personally.. but it appears that the game is... well, it doesn't seem to be what I was looking forward to.

Plus, they hardly did shit to make the Wii version much better than the PSP version. The Wii version could have been really, really good, if they had bothered.

slash000 on