As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Southern Harmony and [chat] Companion

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I am not dressing up this year. And I'm okay with that.

I'm probably going to be bea Arthur in a golden girls foursome

if that falls through I will be Gary in a veep twosome

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    the world of dune disdains order, progress, bureaucracy, and laws; appeals to a universal humanity are lies perpetrated by hypocrites and opportunists; only the good emperor can save man from himself. this is fine for worldbuilding but perhaps not for taking it too seriously

The thing that struck me most about reading the Dune series earlier this year is how incredibly 2nd wave it's view on women are. Like, fucking hardcore gender essentialism all up ins.

Mostly though, it was weird and rambly and poorly structured and often terribly written.

Though I ended up enjoying Heretics of Dune alot more then I remembered from before.

well I wouldn't call it terribly second wave - feminism hardly has a monopoly on essentialism. dune is also essentialist along class lines, too.

????

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Also today I decided I'm going to be Matt Fraction Hawkeye today for Halloween

Wash

YES

@stevemarks44‌ take pictures and I will make sure the man himself sees them

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Wash

YES

G-G-God?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I also still don't know how to dismiss these announcement threads grr

two of them aren't dismissable

i assume you can hide them via external script but it would take me too much time to email donkey kong for instructions

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    But seriously how do I dismiss them they are clogging up my screen real estate

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    so uh

the lady is at an afghan Whigs show tonight

I just sent her this series of texts when she said she'd be home late

Jacobkosh on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

Wash

YES

G-G-God?

the patriarch of the incandenza family???

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Eddy wrote: »
    I also still don't know how to dismiss these announcement threads grr

two of them aren't dismissable

i assume you can hide them via external script but it would take me too much time to email donkey kong for instructions

Oh ok well that explains it those are the ones I'd want to unpin

I liked that I didn't have to have old irrelevant stuff pinned forever with the dismiss option on other announcement threads I've seen

So It Goes on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    l had this idea for an Essentialist Sausage.

I freely admit it was just the wurst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpcGNCU944

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the world of dune disdains order, progress, bureaucracy, and laws; appeals to a universal humanity are lies perpetrated by hypocrites and opportunists; only the good emperor can save man from himself. this is fine for worldbuilding but perhaps not for taking it too seriously

this is super not what dune is saying at all yo

what is it saying then

i tend to interpret leto as herbert's pet avatar on politics

handwaving about the effects of ancestral memory is one thing, talking about applicable politics is another

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Evening folks

Watched Gotham ep.2

Still love the casting of Jim and Bullock that is quality right there, Alfred is totally miscast and not real keen on Selina's awkward wideset eye girl.

Going to keep watching for now.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Mordor has kinda janky graphics in general but its ok because the gameplay is super rad, and that's only after playing it for about a half hour before it got too late.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I need to look in the upgrade tree to see if I have any space clearing moves available for when dealing with large groups of enemies.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    the final championship in forza horizon 2 is called the horizon finale, and i feel like this was a missed opportunity to name it the event horizon

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Mordor has kinda janky graphics in general but its ok because the gameplay is super rad, and that's only after playing it for about a half hour before it got too late.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I need to look in the upgrade tree to see if I have any space clearing moves available for when dealing with large groups of enemies.

There's an upgrade to the stun technique that lets you aoe.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Honestly one of my top 5 regrets of leaving LA is that I had so many opportunities to see Paul F Tompkins live and chose not to do so.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    @Donkey Kong

So, it turns out that

if(OS name starts with "Windows 9") { ... }

or

if(OS name contains "9") { ... }

actually is super common.

Because people are really fucking stupid.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Why.

Why do people not understand that objectification is not itself sexism.

It can be applied in a sexist way.

Or a racist way.

Or whatever biased and/or bigoted way.

But it's, like, its own separate thing.

:s

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Why.

Why do people not understand that objectification is not itself sexism.

It can be applied in a sexist way.

Or a racist way.

Or whatever biased and/or bigoted way.

But it's, like, its own separate thing.

:s

Talion creates an unrealistic expectation of men!

I can't vert like 15 feet like he can! Anger!

• Options
    Is Elki the only one that doesn't like Mordor, or is that a common opinion?

Someone said it reminded them of AC1, fun concept but really repetitive. That might've been Elki, too.

I like it. And I didn't say that, but... AC1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I might have mocked it a little this afternoon for day 1 DLC, but the game is fun so far and it's drawing me in. This is despite it having so many systems that I get a popup every-time I look at a thing, or press a button, or kill a different enemy, or breathe funny for two hours. It's quite much. I want to turn off more visual hints, but the options look pretty limited in that regard.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Evening folks

Watched Gotham ep.2

Still love the casting of Jim and Bullock that is quality right there, Alfred is totally miscast and not real keen on Selina's awkward wideset eye girl.

Hm... would you recommend it to others, though?

工事中
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHUSkyslMQ

This man is set for a lifetime of wanking.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Is Elki the only one that doesn't like Mordor, or is that a common opinion?

Someone said it reminded them of AC1, fun concept but really repetitive. That might've been Elki, too.

I like it. And I didn't say that, but... AC1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I might have mocked it a little this afternoon for day 1 DLC, but the game is fun so far and it's drawing me in. This is despite it having so many systems that I get a popup every-time I look at a thing, or press a button, or kill a different enemy, or breathe funny for two hours. It's quite much. I want to turn off more visual hints, but the options look pretty limited in that regard.

Alright, cool.

It sounds like a lot of fun, and I was disappointed that the first opinion I was hearing about it sounded negative.

• Options

Convenient, since that's already what I use stun technique for, sort of. I stun an enemy at the fringe, and then attack him to propel me out of the center of the enemy group while maintaining a chain to get a finisher.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Evening folks

Watched Gotham ep.2

Hm... would you recommend it to others, though?

I don't think the first 2 eps. are a waste of time but I wouldn't recommend it just yet I think. It could just fall flat on its face at anypoint still I think.

• Options
    oooooohhh tough break dumbass
    The Ohio State student who became an Internet joke after being body-slammed by an Ohio State coach is losing his academic scholarship.

Anthony Wunder, 21, ran onto the field during last Saturday’s Ohio State home victory against Cincinnati and as he got close to the Ohio State bench, he was stopped and slammed by assistant strength and conditioning coach Anthony Schlegel, a former Ohio State linebacker.

Wunder, a fourth-year engineering student, is part of the Evans Scholars program, which provides tuition and housing for former golf caddies. Because Wunder is facing charges of misdemeanor criminal trespassing, the program revoked his scholarship and housing privileges, according to his attorney Mark Collins.

Collins entered a not-guilty plea.

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said he did have a talk with Schlegel about the hit.

"I appreciated him protecting our players," Meyer said earlier this week. "[But] I'd rather him not have a lawsuit if something bad would happen, you drill a guy like that.

"So we had a partial-serious conversation. And we also gave him a 'Hit City' award, our team, and had a little fun with it, too."

Collins told the Columbus Dispatch that the ferocity of the hit would be something he would continue to look at and discuss.

• Options

Convenient, since that's already what I use stun technique for, sort of. I stun an enemy at the fringe, and then attack him to propel me out of the center of the enemy group while maintaining a chain to get a finisher.

I haven't unlocked it yet, but the normal sword swings seem to have enough aoe and range to keep me out of really sticky situations. captains that block breaking counters are an issue. Shields you can kill from afar. Honestly, all the complaints about mixed units are weird. Just snipe hunters and shields from mid-range with focus. It isn't that rough. They all usually die in one headshot. And if you can get lucky there are runes for bows that give focus/elf shot for headshotting.

• Options
    oooooohhh tough break dumbass
    The Ohio State student who became an Internet joke after being body-slammed by an Ohio State coach is losing his academic scholarship.

Anthony Wunder, 21, ran onto the field during last Saturday’s Ohio State home victory against Cincinnati and as he got close to the Ohio State bench, he was stopped and slammed by assistant strength and conditioning coach Anthony Schlegel, a former Ohio State linebacker.

Wunder, a fourth-year engineering student, is part of the Evans Scholars program, which provides tuition and housing for former golf caddies. Because Wunder is facing charges of misdemeanor criminal trespassing, the program revoked his scholarship and housing privileges, according to his attorney Mark Collins.

Collins entered a not-guilty plea.

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said he did have a talk with Schlegel about the hit.

"I appreciated him protecting our players," Meyer said earlier this week. "[But] I'd rather him not have a lawsuit if something bad would happen, you drill a guy like that.

"So we had a partial-serious conversation. And we also gave him a 'Hit City' award, our team, and had a little fun with it, too."

Collins told the Columbus Dispatch that the ferocity of the hit would be something he would continue to look at and discuss.

Even though I love OSU and have like four dozen friends that went there, I would laugh if the coach got hit with an assault charge, since you aren't supposed to ... you know ... do that to people.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    bloodyroarxx was warned for this.
    Kid must of had some hella swag
    KENNER, La. (WGNO) - After a weekend of rumors, Kenner police released mug shots and additional details on a sex scandal involving two Destrehan High School English teachers and a student.

At a press conference Wednesday, authorities said Shelley S. Dufresne, 32, and Rachel Respess, 24, had a threesome with a 16-year-old student.

The alleged incident happened at Respess’s home in Kenner after a football game.

Kenner police also released some details about the student, saying he is a junior at Destrehan High School and that they’re looking into the possibility that he videotaped or took pictures of the encounter.

destrehan-high-with-both-teachers-2.jpg?w=770&h=403

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options

I haven't unlocked it yet, but the normal sword swings seem to have enough aoe and range to keep me out of really sticky situations. captains that block breaking counters are an issue. Shields you can kill from afar. Honestly, all the complaints about mixed units are weird. Just snipe hunters and shields from mid-range with focus. It isn't that rough. They all usually die in one headshot. And if you can get lucky there are runes for bows that give focus/elf shot for headshotting.

It's really not that punishing. Also, I played the first captain mission like it was a Far Cry 3 outpost stealth liberation and that was loads of fun. Too easy for me to do multiple times, though.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    KENNER, La. (WGNO) - After a weekend of rumors, Kenner police released mug shots and additional details on a sex scandal involving two Destrehan High School English teachers and a student.

At a press conference Wednesday, authorities said Shelley S. Dufresne, 32, and Rachel Respess, 24, had a threesome with a 16-year-old student.

The alleged incident happened at Respess’s home in Kenner after a football game.

Kenner police also released some details about the student, saying he is a junior at Destrehan High School and that they’re looking into the possibility that he videotaped or took pictures of the encounter.

As if you can trust a 16-year-old boy to keep a secret of that magnitude. "Y'know those hot blonde teachers we got? Banged 'em."

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

this is super not what dune is saying at all yo

what is it saying then

i tend to interpret leto as herbert's pet avatar on politics

handwaving about the effects of ancestral memory is one thing, talking about applicable politics is another

leto is not meant to be any sort of ideal figure

he is specifically trying to solve an existential problem: he wants to create a situation where the human species will spread outward and diversify such that it can never again be threatened with extinction due to any one event (a nuclear war, a sun going nova, the heat death of the universe, or the vicissitudes of a single all-powerful, all-prescient ruler). everything leto does is bent to that sole purpose and he specifically states that after him it will never again be possible for any one being to be in the position he is in again.

I think that that categorically excludes it from being any sort of model of governance.

In various interviews and exegeses, Herbert himself makes it very explicit that he was writing against the notion of what he called a "superhero," a person in command of enough unregulated power that a single act of poor judgment on their part could spell the death of millions or doom the species outright (this was written in the context of the 1960s, after all).

Dune Messiah strikes me as being particularly clear about this. We revisit the triumphant hero of Dune ten years later to discover that his victory ended in bloody religious jihad, a state-sanctioned inquisition, and nuclear terrorism.

That's not to say he doesn't have wackadoo politics, of course. He was a science fiction writer in the 1960s, it's de rigueur. I think the absence of computers and machines, aside from being a useful storytelling contrivance, reflects some of the author's actual attitudes. There was a slightly New Agey belief in untapped powers of mind and body. And as shryke mentions, a whole lot of gender essentialism that culminates in mind-controlling magic vaginas.

• Options
    As if anybody's going to believe him.

16 year olds lie about shit like that all the time.

• Options
    As if anybody's going to believe him.

16 year olds lie about shit like that all the time.

Apparently he took pictures and videos and thats how they got caught

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

alright

I'm gonna be that guy for a second

and point out that you know

if the genders were switch here

this news story would not be phrased as "had a threesome with"

it would be "16 year old student sexually assaulted by two members of the faculty"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

WTF is wrong with 2 adults to think "Yeah, let's not just fuck a high schooler, but have a threesome with one!" ???

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Pony wrote: »

alright

I'm gonna be that guy for a second

and point out that you know

if the genders were switch here

this news story would not be phrased as "had a threesome with"

it would be "16 year old student sexually assaulted by two members of the faculty"

Absolutley, if the genders were reversed those guys would of been already dead hanging in the town square.

bloodyroarxx on
This discussion has been closed.