As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, I can't even imagine how the nurse could be so uninformed that the second the word "Liberia" is spoken the head director infectious diseases is paged and the patient immediately quarantined. It sounds like the nurse just wrote it down and then just sent him off to the waiting room.

a lot, even most, people just pay zero attention to current events

trying to talk to others about stuff that's going on in the world at large has made me realize what an info junkie I am

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Well, I can't even imagine how the nurse could be so uninformed that the second the word "Liberia" is spoken the head director infectious diseases is paged and the patient immediately quarantined. It sounds like the nurse just wrote it down and then just sent him off to the waiting room.

Look, a sick looking guy comes in to a hospital and starts talking about female genitalia you just try to process him as fast as possible

2x39jD4.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    i'd chalk it up to ER's don't admit people unless they think they are literally going to die in that bed

so that they don't get sued by medicare and insurance companies when they accidentally rack up a 8000 dollar hospital stay for what ended up being heartburn

early symptomatic ebola might not look like anything special on common ER tests

Jasconius on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

it's possible that the nurse heard "Iberia", as in Iberia, Louisiana.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I dunno. He must not be completely mentally with it.

At no point did he think, oh, gee, I was in Liberia last week... maybe I should tell the ER Doctors that before they send me home.

I dunno, if he was asked in the questionnaire if any of his relatives had contracted it and he said no, that seems quite a deliberate thing to me. Likely motivated by fear? My guess anyhow, probably wrong.

likely motivated by if you say you have come into contact with ebola they don't let you leave the country

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, since this is the anything international thread, I figured I'd share this here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/10/02/ioc_demands_oslo_drops_bid_after_over_the_top_list_of_requirements.html
    Oslo is dropping out of bidding for the 2022 Winter Olympics, leaving Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing as the only remaining cities seeking to host the event. Why? One reason is that people are starting to realize that spending mega-money to build sporting venues that may not ever be used again doesn’t make economic sense. Another is that the International Olympic Committee is a notoriously ridiculous organization run by grifters and hereditary aristocrats. Norwegian citizens were particularly amused/outraged (amuseraged) by the IOC’s diva-like demands for luxury treatment during the hypothetical Games. Here’s a piece in the Norwegian media about the controversy, with translation provided by a generous Norwegian reader named Mats Silberg:
    • They demand to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Afterwards, there shall be a cocktail reception. Drinks shall be paid for by the Royal Palace or the local organizing committee.
    • Separate lanes should be created on all roads where IOC members will travel, which are not to be used by regular people or public transportation.
    • A welcome greeting from the local Olympic boss and the hotel manager should be presented in IOC members’ rooms, along with fruit and cakes of the season. (Seasonal fruit in Oslo in February is a challenge…)
    • The hotel bar at their hotel should extend its hours “extra late” and the minibars must stock Coke products.
    • The IOC president shall be welcomed ceremoniously on the runway when he arrives.
    • The IOC members should have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport.
    • During the opening and closing ceremonies a fully stocked bar shall be available. During competition days, wine and beer will do at the stadium lounge.
    • IOC members shall be greeted with a smile when arriving at their hotel.
    • Meeting rooms shall be kept at exactly 20 degrees Celsius at all times.
    • The hot food offered in the lounges at venues should be replaced at regular intervals, as IOC members might “risk” having to eat several meals at the same lounge during the Olympics.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    God, fuck the IOC forever and ever with a pitchfork

everything about the olympics is a waste of time, not just the governing body

and yeah the olympics leave behind a wake of decay everywhere they go

for example, the ancient city of Atlanta

even Sochi is a ghost town and it's only been a matter of months

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Well, since this is the anything international thread, I figured I'd share this here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/10/02/ioc_demands_oslo_drops_bid_after_over_the_top_list_of_requirements.html
    Oslo is dropping out of bidding for the 2022 Winter Olympics, leaving Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing as the only remaining cities seeking to host the event. Why? One reason is that people are starting to realize that spending mega-money to build sporting venues that may not ever be used again doesn’t make economic sense. Another is that the International Olympic Committee is a notoriously ridiculous organization run by grifters and hereditary aristocrats. Norwegian citizens were particularly amused/outraged (amuseraged) by the IOC’s diva-like demands for luxury treatment during the hypothetical Games. Here’s a piece in the Norwegian media about the controversy, with translation provided by a generous Norwegian reader named Mats Silberg:
    • They demand to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Afterwards, there shall be a cocktail reception. Drinks shall be paid for by the Royal Palace or the local organizing committee.
    • Separate lanes should be created on all roads where IOC members will travel, which are not to be used by regular people or public transportation.
    • A welcome greeting from the local Olympic boss and the hotel manager should be presented in IOC members’ rooms, along with fruit and cakes of the season. (Seasonal fruit in Oslo in February is a challenge…)
    • The hotel bar at their hotel should extend its hours “extra late” and the minibars must stock Coke products.
    • The IOC president shall be welcomed ceremoniously on the runway when he arrives.
    • The IOC members should have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport.
    • During the opening and closing ceremonies a fully stocked bar shall be available. During competition days, wine and beer will do at the stadium lounge.
    • IOC members shall be greeted with a smile when arriving at their hotel.
    • Meeting rooms shall be kept at exactly 20 degrees Celsius at all times.
    • The hot food offered in the lounges at venues should be replaced at regular intervals, as IOC members might “risk” having to eat several meals at the same lounge during the Olympics.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

holy fuck

The very definition of overpriviledged. what a bunch of assholes

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Damnit! I mean, yeah the IOC is fucking insane. But I have family friends near Oslo and I totally could have crashed there for free.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    That is mental.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is any nation willing to create Olympic Games infrastructure for the purpose of luring IOC officials into the country so they can be thoroughly disrespected

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Damnit! I mean, yeah the IOC is fucking insane. But I have family friends near Oslo and I totally could have crashed there for free.

you still can! and you don;t have to deal with Olympics insanity

win/win if you ask me

Hobnail wrote: »
    Is any nation willing to create Olympic Games infrastructure for the purpose of luring IOC officials into the country so they can be thoroughly disrespected

mine. my nation

the nation of me. just now made by me

Hobnail wrote: »

London did!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    To me, the Modern Olympics are like a tornado of awfulness and corruption, while the competition itself is the eye of the storm where things aren't actually that bad?

We could do with a single permanent Olympic site somewhere.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited October 2014
    Seasonal fruit in Oslo is lutefisk. Someone get me a pic of the Dungeons of Dreadmore guy dying.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

you still can! and you don;t have to deal with Olympics insanity

win/win if you ask me

Yeah but I totally wanted to go watch Super G races and some snowboarding events.

Mind you I spent a week out there a few years ago, Norway's fucking awesome and I could totally find stuff to do.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    To me, the Modern Olympics are like a tornado of awfulness and corruption, while the competition itself is the eye of the storm where things aren't actually that bad?

I think that would be really cool but it'd probably have to be in, like, Switzerland or something, some neutral location with good summers and winters. And lots of money.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

I don't know, top-level athletics are also pretty messed up.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

what about like

mount olympus (the branding's already taken care of)

l3icwZV.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    everything about the olympics is a waste of time, not just the governing body

and yeah the olympics leave behind a wake of decay everywhere they go

for example, the ancient city of Atlanta

even Sochi is a ghost town and it's only been a matter of months

To be fair to the IOC, Sochi being a complete clusterfuck had more to do with the insane amount of graft, cronyism, and corruption with Russia. Picking the site in the first place was an awful idea, and probably involved a lot of bribes, but it's only their fault inasmuch as it was extremely predictable what would happen.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    There was a period where they were trying to get the Olympics in NYC.

Or at least someone was trying that. Every person I knew or spoke to was immensely relieved when it didn't happen.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Same here in Boston. The Olympic Commitee here is chaired by the CEO of the largest construction company in New England. Talk about Conflict of Interest...

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    That's usually the case. The people in charge of the local committees stand to make a fortune if the Olympics chooses their site. Romney had something to do with one, I believe.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Pittsburgh would collapse under the olympics but we have tons of literal ruins to make into a village

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    After the pain in the ass the NATO summit was, everyone I knew was so happy that Chicago didn't get the Olympics.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Oy. Considering that isn't even the exhaustive list of demands, and doesn't include the more usual things like claiming ownership of circles, host countries' national anthems, or words like "winter," it's pretty clear the IOC seems to think it's a sovereign state by now. Or at least they're earning the gold for acting the part...

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Oy. Considering that isn't even the exhaustive list of demands, and doesn't include the more usual things like claiming ownership of circles, host countries' national anthems, or words like "winter," it's pretty clear the IOC seems to think it's a sovereign state by now. Or at least they're earning the gold for acting the part...

This post violates IOC copytraderight 449/b.000000e5-1, any discussion of "gold" in the context of a reward, achievement, or thing to be earned (whether abstract or physical) is proprietary and may not be used by any parties other than Official Olympic Partners.

• NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    There's a pretty good story in rolling stone about the Koch brothers and how they're massive pieces of shit. You know if you needed any more reason to despise the ultra rich.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Oy. Considering that isn't even the exhaustive list of demands, and doesn't include the more usual things like claiming ownership of ... host countries' national anthems, or words like "winter," it's pretty clear the IOC seems to think it's a sovereign state by now. Or at least they're earning the gold for acting the part...

is this a real thing, or is it hyperbole?

jnij103vqi2i.png
    I don't know, when London held the Olympics, no one except McDonald's was allowed to sell fries near the venues.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't know, when London held the Olympics, no one except McDonald's was allowed to sell fries near the venues.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the IOC members was on the board of Coke or McDonald's or both.

Shadowen on
    Man, McDonald's and Coke sponsoring the world's largest athletic competition feels like a joke anytime I think about it.

If they actually do remove wrestling from the Olympics I am seriously considering not watching any of it.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think I would have the IOC over and only serve them Coke and McD's.

• NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Yeah the IOC and FIFA are both Shitty, Shitty organizations

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Oy. Considering that isn't even the exhaustive list of demands, and doesn't include the more usual things like claiming ownership of ... host countries' national anthems, or words like "winter," it's pretty clear the IOC seems to think it's a sovereign state by now. Or at least they're earning the gold for acting the part...

is this a real thing, or is it hyperbole?

They trademarked a chunk of O Canada during the 2008 games. (They also told Parliament to give them the rights to the word "winter.")

• the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    greasy.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
This discussion has been closed.