As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pbp] -13th Age - Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil Chapter 1. - The Moathouse

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Fultur grunts. "Tha Orc King prolly wouldna pleased 'bout 'er orcs mercin' fer sommat like this Eye," he opines. He takes a look at the things in the chest Vanminar opened, searching for dweomers.
    Fultur's just concerned about curses, fellas.

Geth, roll 1d20+4+4 for magic item identification.

magic item identification:
    1d20+4+4 26 [1d20=18]

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    just a heads up, gonna be out of town until Monday.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    @discrider‌
    The Orc King is probably unlikely to be in direct contact with this crew. She was less interested in leaving soldiers behind to await instruction than in making re-habitation of these villages as difficult as possible. As far as her likelihood of using literate soldiers, Oonkva is canny and uses any edge she can find in a fight. She can most likely read herself or at least has lieutenants capable of doing so. Unsurprisingly, there are non-monstrous humanoids tempted by her power or willing to harm the Empire at any cost, so it isn't unheard of for the odd human or drow renegade to work for her as a spy or saboteur.

All of the Icons participated in the original Battle of Emridy Meadows on the side of the Empire, or at least didn't openly aid the temple. If any Icon was wrapped up with them, it was most likely The Prince of Shadows (to cover all of his bases), The Three (they had several dragons and monsters in their army), or The Diabolist (several demons held positions of power within the Temple).

@Dracil‌
    As with any threat to the Dragon Empire, the activity of The Elder Elemental Eye cult is taken seriously, but the relative success of the church in nearly usurping power has led to a host of pretenders to the cause. Small bands of cultists have appeared, but none has presented a true threat. Most have been exposed to be delusional, or even misguided (perhaps...) followers of The Diabolist. As such, the Empire has tended to use discretion when rumors of the church's return are floated about.

@‌Ardent
    These items appear to be harmless. No "true" magic items seem to be around to inflict any curses on your group. The atmosphere and items around the room do seem to indicate that some sort of magic is practiced by the inhabitants of this room.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    edited October 2014
    "S'all safe as fars I can tell," Fultur says. "But whoever were livin' here had some mojo. Lingers right thick."

Ardent on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Vanminar offers the potions and runes to the group to peruse, any left over he slips into his backpack

"Now that we've partaken of Garen's fine hospitality, best to not overstay our welcome, I think." Van then heads for the exit.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Maldras scratches his head and sighs.
    "Doesn't look like there's enough here to tell who's pulling the strings behind this whole Eye thing.
    Maybe it's a resurgence of the old cult. Maybe it's something else.
    Still I can hardly think they'd fill their basement with the dead of the Lich willingly.
    "

Dropping the papers back where he found them, he turns for the door.
    "We should probably finish our search at any rate.
    Maybe in the morning we can alert the authorities.
    "

discrider on
    Those heading out to the hallway should go ahead and make perception checks. Use wisdom and whatever skill seems appropriate, if any.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for passive perception

passive perception:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for passive perception even if it's kind of unnecessary now

passive perception even if it's kind of unnecessary now:
    1d20+6 11 [1d20=5]

Geth roll 1d20+4 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Hmm, maybe this might come in handy. Caldon pockets the sigil and puts one of the robes in his pack and then follows the others out.
    Not sure what exactly we're rolling perception on and like @Ardent said, it's probably redundant, but if it's anything that would be appropriate for someone who's spent year's tomb raiding places with possible dangers or hidden stuff:

Geth roll 1d20+3+1+5

1d20+3+1+5 14 [1d20=5]

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Once you all step outside, Van shushes you and slowly advances a few steps further up the tower. You begin to hear high-pitched, snarly voices and smell smoke.

"C'mon, the sun is almost up, let's just go down and slit their throats."

"No, you dumb elf-turd, we wait until Garen gets back with the twins, then we get 'em from both sides. Keep a look out, so I can fly down and warn the boss when he gets here."

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Slidling along the wall, Golnar whispers to the others, "I'll try and jump the one with the wings. Don't want them escaping and warning anyone."

Vanminar smiled and nodded his agreement to Golnar, then drew a strange wand from a holster at his belt. It looked like Van had attached the trigger and hand-grip from a crossbow to it. He spun it around the trigger with an unnecessary flourish before whispering to Maldras. "So what will you name the ballad you write about us? I was thinking, the Enemies of the Eye, or The Altar of the Elemental Eye, something like that."

After another half rotation up the stairs, you come to the top level of the tower (at least, as high as accessible by these stairs). You exit on the far south side of a 45' circular rooftop. A 10' high wall encircles the roof and blocks some of the inclement weather, but 5' gaps in the wall are visible at the east and west extremes of the circle and are letting gusts of winter air through. Four massive stone pillars support the top of the tower, about 20' above the top of the outside wall. A small fire smolders and two goblins huddle near it in the north-west of the roof. On the eastern side, near the gap, are two goblins. One stands with a bow and the other sits mounted on a dire bat with a spear in his hand. Near the western gap, another bat-mounted goblin keeps watch. A swarm of normal sized bats flutters around the edges of the wall. No one seems to be facing you.
    If you choose to attack, you will have a surprise round. To take advantage of it, everyone roll initiative, then the highest in the order gets a turn as well as one other character of your guys' choice (You could also roll a d4 for this if you choose)

Caldon points to himself then points to the one with the bow.
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]

edited October 2014
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for initiative

Not sure who the chosen one of us should be, my best move would probably be to Gather power during the surprise round and then hit the bat+bowman group with breath of the white in the next round for double damage. From looking at what other folks can do I think Golnar maybe the best choice (catching mice) or maybe Fultur if this is worth using an Acid Arrow.

edit - Just realized Catching Mice requires Greatness, which Golnar doesn't start fights with

I'd like to try and stop either bat rider from flying down and warning Garen, but it may be tough.

initiative:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

Boozer on
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for initiative.

I don't think Fultur's opening play against goblins, even goblins on dire bats, is going to be Acid Arrow. It's likely to be Magic Missile. Which he doesn't have to split if he doesn't want to. He can also customize the outcome somewhat with Vance's Polysyllabic Verbalizations assume @astrobstrd‌ approves of the alteration. Such as potentially dazzling the goblin on the bat.

initiative:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]

edited October 2014
    Yeah, you're right about the Acid Arrow being overkill. If you could dazzle one or both of the bat-riders then I would say Fultur should definitely be the chosen one to act during the surprise round. That's a great idea.

Boozer on
    edited October 2014
    Well, I can hit them in the surprise round, that gives me greatness. Then, if they try and fly away, snag the bat.

1d20 20 [1d20=20]

Capfalcon on
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

Ha, so much for a +4 Dex bonus.
    If used the open sneak attack slot, it would probably be to try and attack with the Move It! battlecry to allow someone else to get into melee with a bat rider.
    But considering my initiative, I'm unlikely to act a second time before the enemies get their shot, so I probably shouldn't be given that slot.
    Boozer wrote: »
    Vanminar smiled and nodded his agreement to Golnar, then drew a strange wand from a holster at his belt. It looked like Van had attached the trigger and hand-grip from a crossbow to it. He spun it around the trigger with an unnecessary flourish before whispering to Maldras. "So what will you name the ballad you write about us? I was thinking, the Enemies of the Eye, or The Altar of the Elemental Eye, something like that."

Coming up to the top of the tower, Maldras trips on the unfinished stonework and hisses softly back "How about the Heroes of the Stairs that just won't Quit? Humour at your own expense always goes down well in taverns."

Drawing his drum, and tracing a slow beat with his fingertips, "Still plenty of time to make something else to sing about.".

edited October 2014
    Ok, so here is how I see combat working, but I may adjust as I find out what works and what doesn't. Any relevant bits of environmental trappings will be listed as well as conditions that may affect the battle. I will post initiative order and @ the next character up. When that character takes their turn, they will copy and paste this info, move their name to the bottom of the list, then @ the player following them. If it is a monster or NPC, @ me instead. I will post a stat block of characters below the initiative order, this will include current HP, recoveries, defenses, and status changes (hampered, weakened, etc.) Participants that are grouped will appear in the same block. Participants that are engaged will have {engaged with Goblin Cavalry 1} next to their names. All interrupt or response actions that you want to take and conditions that they apply under should be highlighted in green. I will roll for these and you will do the same on your turns if you trigger an interrupt or response action. Since an example will work better than me rambling...

Edit: Since we do have a few characters that have variable environmental/magical attacks that are dependent upon my input and judgment, simply describe what you wish to do with your attack and an intended result. Keep in mind that something like "I cast my fireball like a flash bang!" or "I crush his helmet onto his head!" may have cool visceral implications, but the mechanical result might be something like "Dazed: normal save to end", or "-2 All Defenses and -1 to melee attacks until EoT".

Rooftop Battle

45' Circular Roof. All unengaged enemies are considered Nearby.

Environmental Elements: Small Fire, Inclement Weather (Snow, Ice,Wind), Loose Bricks/Stones, Wall With Gaps, 40 ft. Drop, Bat Guano, Sun Beginning to Rise (Low Light)

Conditions: Bad Storm: Any flying character not shielded by the outer wall can only fly as a full turn action. Any critical hit knocks the victim to the ground (move action to get back up).

Escalation Die: 0

Initiative:

@Capfalcon‌ + @Ardent‌ for surprise round

Golnar - 20
    Vanminar - 17
    Swarm of Bats - 16
    Caldon - 15
    Fultur - 13
    Sabeiha - 10
    Maldras - 9
    Goblin Scum - 9
    Goblin Cavalry - 7

Stats:
    Golnar: HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d10 + 4], AC 16 PD 16 MD 12
    Vanminar: HP 27/27, Recoveries 7/8 [1d6 + 3], AC 15 PD 14 MD 13
    Caldon: HP: 27/27, Recoveries 8/8 [1d8+3], AC 18 PD 14 MD 15
    Fultur: HP 24/24, Recoveries 8/8 [1d6+2], AC 13 PD 13 MD 13
    Maldras: HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d8 + 3], AC 16 PD 14 MD 13
    Sabeiha: HP 31/36, Recoveries 9/9 [1d10 + 4], AC 19 PD 14 MD 11

Goblin Scum 1(mook): HP 5/5, AC 16 PD 14 MD 11
    Goblin Cavalry 1: HP 60/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying)

Goblin Cavalry 2: HP 60/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying)

Goblin Scum 2(mook): HP 5/5, AC 16 PD 14 MD 11
    Goblin Scum 3(mook): HP 5/5, AC 16 PD 14 MD 11

Swarm of Bats: HP 30/30, AC 16 PD 16 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, No opportunities: The swarm of bats can’t make opportunity
    attacks, and enemies can’t make opportunity attacks against it. Swarming resistance: Each turn, the swarm of bats gains resist
    damage 18+ to all damage from attacks by enemies that the swarm did NOT attack that turn.

astrobstrd on
    I just realized as well that Caldon and Maldras get to make an additional initiative roll if they wish due to Quick to Fight.

I have no idea where you are getting "Quick to Fight" from @astrobstrd but then I don't have any 13th Age handbooks.

Quick to Fight is the human racial advantage. You roll initiative twice and use the higher of the two results.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Initiative II

Initiative II:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

edited October 2014
    After he runs up the last few steps, Golnar leaps up crumbled columns and slams into the goblin rider lurking in the rafters.

Geth roll 1d6 for Power Stunt
    Geth roll 1d20 for Power Stunt
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for attack
    Geth roll 1d10+8 for damage

1d6 5 [1d6=5]
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]
    attack:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    damage:
    1d10+8 16 [1d10=8]

Capfalcon on
    edited October 2014
    @Capfalcon - Make sure to copy and paste the initiative and stat block to update after your turn. Also, make sure to specify what attack you are using, even if it's just to ask Geth to roll for "Melee Basic Attack". I'm assuming that you are attacking the lone bat rider. Don't mean to pick on you, but by taking the first turn, you get to be a bit of a guinea pig. Now it should look like...

Initiative:

@Ardent‌ for surprise round

Golnar - 20
    Vanminar - 17
    Swarm of Bats - 16
    Maldras - 15
    Caldon - 15
    Fultur - 13
    Sabeiha - 10
    Goblin Scum - 9
    Goblin Cavalry - 7

Stats:

Goblin Cavalry 1: HP 60/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying)

Golnar: HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d10 + 4], AC 16 PD 16 MD 12 Power Stunt Die: 5 {engaged with Goblin Cavalry 2}
    Goblin Cavalry 2: HP 44/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying) {engaged with Golnar}

Swarm of Bats: HP 30/30, AC 16 PD 16 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, No opportunities: The swarm of bats can’t make opportunity
    attacks, and enemies can’t make opportunity attacks against it. Swarming resistance: Each turn, the swarm of bats gains resist
    damage 18+ to all damage from attacks by enemies that the swarm did NOT attack that turn.

astrobstrd on
    Fultur watches Golnar dive into the bat-rider and agrees with the tactic of removing the riders first and points an open palm towards the one Golnar has engaged.

"Balthazar's blindingly maleficent magical missiles!" he barks, sending two astonishingly psychadelic magic missiles whipping towards the mounted rider, where they chase each other around the goblin's head and leave lingering, evanescent trails before slamming into their target's eyes.
    Geth, roll 2d4 for maleficent missiles.
    Notes: Magic Missile doesn't involve a roll to hit and there's no risk of Fultur's concentration being broken here. 2d4 damage, plus the goblin is dazzled, provided @astrobstrd is on board with that.

Initiative:

@Capfalcon‌ for going first

Golnar - 20
    Vanminar - 17
    Swarm of Bats - 16
    Maldras - 15
    Caldon - 15
    Fultur - 13
    Sabeiha - 10
    Goblin Scum - 9
    Goblin Cavalry - 7

Stats:

Golnar: HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d10 + 4], AC 16 PD 16 MD 12 Power Stunt Die: 5 {engaged with Goblin Cavalry 2}
    Goblin Cavalry 2: HP 44/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying) {engaged with Golnar}

maleficent missiles:
    2d4 6 [2d4=2, 4]

The startled goblin blinks erratically and frantically rubs at his eyes.
    @ardent I just checked the Polysyllibic Verbalizations talent and it looks like it only applies to daily and recharge spells. Rather than have you re-roll the attack, I'm just going to tack an effect on to it this time. The goblin will have -2 to attacks until his EoT.

D'oh, you're right. Next time it will be a variant of Acid Arrow, I suppose.

edited October 2014
    Pleased with the meaty thud that came from slamming into the goblin/bat duo, Golnar raises his axe, ready to bury it into the goblin's skull. Seeing the half orc loom over them both, the bat flails in terror, causing Golnar's axe to go wide and take out a small chunk of the bat's wing.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Giant Strike
    Geth roll 1d10+8 for damage

Initiative:
    @Boozer's up

Golnar - 20
    Vanminar- 17
    Swarm of Bats - 16
    Maldras- 15
    Caldon- 15
    Fultur- 13
    Sabeiha () - 10
    Goblin Scum - 9
    Goblin Cavalry - 7

Stats:
    Vanminar (Boozer) : HP 27/27, Recoveries 7/8 [1d6 + 3], AC 15 PD 14 MD 13
    Caldon (Dracil) : HP: 27/27, Recoveries 8/8 [1d8+3], AC 18 PD 14 MD 15
    Fultur (Ardent) : HP 24/24, Recoveries 8/8 [1d6+2], AC 13 PD 13 MD 13
    Maldras (Discrider) : HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d8 + 3], AC 16 PD 14 MD 13
    Sabeiha (Kirindal) : HP 31/36, Recoveries 9/9 [1d10 + 4], AC 19 PD 14 MD 11

Golnar (Capfalcon) : HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d10 + 4], AC 16 PD 16 MD 12 Power Stunt Die: 5 {engaged with Goblin Cavalry 2}
    Goblin Cavalry 2: HP 34/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying) {engaged with Golnar}

Giant Strike:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    damage:
    1d10+8 15 [1d10=7]

Capfalcon on
    edited October 2014
    @astrobstrd
    Is the escalation die 0 or 1 after the surprise round? The book says that's up to the gm's discretion, and it will affect my decision.

Edit - nm the rest I didn't realize Golnar missed his 2nd attack.

Boozer on
    Escalation die stays at 0 until the next round.

edited October 2014
    I'll Gather Power this round.

Geth roll 1d6 for gather power effect

I gain a +1 bonus to AC until the start of my next turn.

"Sabeiha, can you keep that one from escaping?" Vanminar said, pointing to the bat-rider not facing down the half-orc's vicious axe.

Van’s eyes then began to glow, and arcs of electricity jumped from the ground around him to his arms and legs, and across his body.

Initiative:
    @astrobstrd is up

Swarm of Bats - 16
    Maldras- 15
    Caldon- 15
    Fultur- 13
    Sabeiha () - 10
    Goblin Scum - 9
    Goblin Cavalry - 7
    Golnar - 20
    Vanminar- 17

Stats:
    Vanminar (Boozer) : HP 27/27, Recoveries 7/8 [1d6 + 3], AC 15 PD 14 MD 13 AC +1 until start of his next turn
    Maldras (Discrider) : HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d8 + 3], AC 16 PD 14 MD 13

Golnar (Capfalcon) : HP 30/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d10 + 4], AC 16 PD 16 MD 12 Power Stunt Die: 5 {engaged with Goblin Cavalry 2}
    Goblin Cavalry 2: HP 34/60, AC 17 PD 15 MD 11, Vulnerabilty: Thunder, Resist Damage (Ranged): 16+ (When flying) {engaged with Golnar}

gather:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

Boozer on
    Forgot that you can't edit in notifications.
    @astrobstrd

The swarm of small bats seems to separate and then flood into your group. Most of you simply swat them away, but Maldras suffers some small bites and scrapes in the process.
    Swarm of Bats attacks 1 enemy this turn.

Swarming Bites: +7 vs. PD is a hit for 2 dmg.

Initiative:
    @discrider is up

Maldras- 15
    Caldon- 15
    Fultur- 13
    Sabeiha () - 10
    Goblin Scum - 9
    Goblin Cavalry - 7
    Golnar - 20
    Vanminar- 17
    Swarm of Bats - 16

Stats:
    Vanminar (Boozer) : HP 27/27, Recoveries 7/8 [1d6 + 3], AC 16 PD 14 MD 13 AC +1 until start of his next turn
    Maldras (Discrider) : HP 28/30, Recoveries 8/8 [1d8 + 3], AC 16 PD 14 MD 13 {engaged with Swarm of Bats}
    damage 18+ to all damage from attacks by enemies that the swarm did NOT attack that turn. {engaged with Maldras}

edited October 2014
    Maldras recovers his footing somewhat on the final steps before reaching the landing, but that doesn't stop him getting blindsided by a swarm of bats.

Ugh. FINE

The bard stares down a bat still clinging to his drum, and then starts beating it.

:whistle:
    "In Hommlet-town that one dark day, we nearly lost the earth.
    The ground was burned, and sky gave way, as Eye left its berth.
    But heroes from across the land, all turned to heed the call,
    Brave in heart and steel in hand, and so defend us all.
    :whistle:

And REFRAIN

The bard brings his hands together on the downbeat, launching the unfortunate bat and scattering a few of its comrades with a loud bang.
    This start was also more than enough to get everyone's blood pumping and ready for battle.
    Will improve description when I have time later.
    Starting Song of Heroes (+1 to attack for me and nearby allies, which is everyone). Battle Chanting at Bats.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Battle Chant vs Bats
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for Thunder damage vs Bats (needs x2)
    So 10 damage total on the bats I think? Nope, 5 Thunder damage, it's just the crit range that is increased to 18+ for Thunder damage on a Vulnerable opponent.
    15 doesn't trigger a Battle Cry unless someone wants to spend a recovery.
    @Dracil

Battle Chant vs Bats:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Thunder damage vs Bats (needs x2):
    1d6+3 5 [1d6=2]

discrider on
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, I was out this whole weekend and forgot to mention it. But just keeping that initiative I rolled is probably good enough to keep things flowing.

Edit: How do the mook stuff work here? Are those the archers? I thought there was just one. I also notice Scum 1 is split off from Scum 2 and 3. Normally I think overkill damage will go towards the other mooks but not sure if they're supposed to be separate and if that would still apply here.

Dracil on