As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Child's Play Trivia Night

SmuffySmuffy Registered User regular
Hi, guys!

Some friends and I are running a trivia night in Melbourne on the Wednesday before PAX in order to raise money for Child's Play. We're a sanctioned Child's Play event, with a great venue (the Lab at Games Laboratory), enthusiastic and experienced organisers, and an ever-growing prize pool that's currently weighing in around $1400. We're not making any money off it ourselves (hence, the Child's Play sanction), and are hoping to make it a fixture of the PAX Aus period in Melbourne.

The night will consist of 4 rounds of read-out questions, some table rounds, pay-to-play rounds and some other fun games. The venue will fit 20 tables of 8 people, but if you've only got one or two mates who can come, it's all good. Just let us know and we'll form pick-up tables.

We'll have prizes for cosplay (group and individual) and more surprises and announcements between now and the event.

The prizes we've secured so far include signed books from John Birmingham, copies of Boss Monster and Cards Against Humanity, LARP swords, gaming headsets and controllers from Turtle Beach and bunch of Tshirts from Qwertees.

More info, as well as updates of the prizes as we've received them, can be found here:
https://facebook.com/CPTAus

We've not released tickets yet, so head over and Like the Facebook page, or stay tuned to this forum for more updates. :smiley:

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Sweet! I'll be in, and I can rustle up some delicious cookie goodness as part of the Cookie Brigade if you want :)

• Options
    jreidjreid Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Very keen :) One of my mates who moved to Melbourne a year or so back now works at Games Laboratory and I get very jealous looking at his facebook posts :smiley:

• Options
    Fitzchivalry: Cookies, you say? I think we can get behind that! :smiley:

Jreid: Would that be Shayne?

• Options
    Youguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguysyouguys!

We have a totally awesome announcement coming up in about two weeks! Keep an eye here and get on the FB page to stay abreast! :)

• Options
    jreidjreid Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Smuffy, yeah it would be :D:!

• Options
    And more prizes arrived today, in the form of starter sets for the Game of Thrones LCG and X Wing miniatures game, as well as the Munchkin core game, Stone Age, Settlers of Catan and the Ravenloft board game. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

• Options
    WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    Sounds awesome! I'd even fly in early for this. So it's ok if there are only two people? also do we need to book in advance for this?

• Options
    WallStar wrote: »
    Sounds awesome! I'd even fly in early for this. So it's ok if there are only two people? also do we need to book in advance for this?

Yup! Just two is fine, if you're open to being placed with randoms on the night. :smile:
    And tickets will be opened up in about a week. We'll let you know here, as well as on the Facebook page.

• Options
    ZbenzZbenz Registered User new member
    Flying in Wednesday so would certainly be keen in joining in.

• Options
    WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    OMG THIS IS SO EXCITING. I'm booking my flights tomorrow and flying in early just for this. Any word on when we register/book?

• Options
    WallStar wrote: »
    OMG THIS IS SO EXCITING. I'm booking my flights tomorrow and flying in early just for this. Any word on when we register/book?

Sorry for the delays. We're hoping to have tickets sooner than later, although my last "in about a week" was clearly somewhat premature. There's a major announcement tied in with having tickets for sale, but once that's sorted you can all rest assured we'll be sounding our barbaric yawp from the rooftops of the geekish world. :smiley:

• Options
    WE CAN ANNOUNCE, NOW!

Milords, ladies and gentlemen

Child’s Play Trivia Australia is pleased, grateful, and just generally gobsmacked to announce we now have a major sponsor in the form of…

*drum roll please*

Wizards of the Coast!

This is a fantastic thing, and came about due to their being generous, engaged, and genuinely wanting to help out with a great cause. Seriously, guys, they’ve really worked to make it happen, and we here at CPT Aus central can’t express our gratitude enough.

“What can we, the attendees, expect?” I hear you ask. Well, you can expect STUFF! Cool stuff. RAD stuff. Stuff the likes of which you can only DREAM!

And because we’re still about 3 months out, and your humble announcer has a slightly sadistic streak, we’ll be teasing those stuffs over the next few weeks.

Suffice to say, if you’re a Magic: The Gathering fan, a D&D fan, or just a fan of awesome STUFF in general, you’re going to want to get on this.

Expect a ticket sales announcement soon and, again, a HUGE thank you to the hoopy froods, scruffy nerf-herders, and all-around shiny people over at Wizards of the Coast.

• Options
    Tickets are now available!

They're grouped into sections of 8, which is basically a table. If you don't have 7 mates to join you, don't worry, we'll be putting people together onto pick up tables. How that'll work is being finalised, but for now if you're just you or 2 or 3 other people, send an email to cptaus@gmail.com and we'll play matchmaker with some other demi-tables. :smiley:

http://www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=90846

• Options
    YAY!! All booked :smiley: So Excited!!
    I've just booked 2 people on a mixed bag table - Do you still need us to e-mail cause we aren't booking a table of 8 or is the fact that we've booked a mixed back enough?

• Options
    ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    I'd love to come but I don't get in until Thursday :(

• Options
    WallStar: Just booking on a Mixed Bag is fine. We'll likely just assemble tables of 8 on the night from the various 2s and 3s, etc, or keep people to their Mixed Bag if they're happy to do so. :)

ninnanuam: I have friends at work shaking fists at me 'cause they're already booked to arrive on the Thursday. We'll see if the Thursday could work next year, or stay on Wednesday and give people more lead time. I realise this doesn't help for this year, and I'm sorry you cannae make it, but rest assured, assuming we don't get eaten by raging meerkats, then we'll mos' def be running another night next year. :)

• Options
    We promised you big announcements and, boy-oh-boy, do we have one.

Not all of the donations we’ve received are being given out as prizes. Oh no. We’ll also be holding some auctions on the night.

The first auction item? Well, thanks to the kindness of Wizards of the Coast, it’s big. It’s awesome. It’s amazing. It’s…

THESE!

g3pv0ow9kitl.png
    7tl5lfuirf2x.jpg

Oh yeah. You saw that right. We’ve got a full, boxed set of the 2013 SDCC Exclusive Planeswalker Black Foil variants. Pretty? Certainly. Shiny? Definitely. Desirable? Indubitably.

We’re expecting the auction for this item will allow Child’s Play to bring a LOT of fun and games to the kids of Sydney Children’s Hospital, and it’s one of the many reasons we can’t thank Wizards enough for their generosity.

• Options
    Freeman_78Freeman_78 Melbourne Registered User regular
    Looks like some of us [E]'s have 2 tables booked already, come join the fun!

• Options
    Shiny, Freeman_78

If [E]s do book tables, and don't necessarily have the full numbers, let us know at cptaus@gmail.com and we can change the names of those Tables to Enforcer 1, Enforcer 2 etc. as needed, so others know where to go if they wish to join an [E] table. :)

Cheers!

• Options
    A happy Wednesday to you all.

Just a wee reminder that we have a few processes in place to make booking easier for you.

First up, if you're going to be a table of 8, but aren't yet, just book the tickets you can on a table. After which, why not send us an email at cptaus@gmail.com and tell us which table you've booked. We can rename it in the event itself, so as to flag its presence to your team mates.

In fact, if you've *already* booked a full (or partial) table, you can absolutely do that anyway.

If you're *not* a full 8 people, (and we may have mentioned this before once or twice :) ) then just book on one of the Mixed tables and then you can either be on that table on the night, or we can shuffle around to make up other groups of 8.

Basically, we just want to sell all our tickets, and to make it as easy, clear, and all-about-y'all as we can. :)

Thanks for the bookings we've had already. We cannot even begin to tell you how excited we are about this event, and the prize and participant support we've had up to this point has been AWESOME!

There. I said it. You guys are AWESOME! Individually, *and* collectively. AWESOME!

• Options
    PRIZE LIST!!!!

We're less than 3 weeks out and I'm already weeing myself a little with excitement.

There's still tickets left, so still chances for you to get in on the action and have a tilt at getting your hands on...

Turtle Beach headsets and controllers, Qwertees tshirts, Ript tshirt vouchers, Tech Assault laser tag vouchers, signed John Birmingham books, Cards Against Humanity packs, Boss Monster packs, personal coaching or trade marks advice session vouchers, Games of thrones LCG starter set, X Wing miniatures combat starter set, Settlers of Catan, Stone Age, Munchkin, Fanticide core rules, some Warhammer miniatures, Bodgermania card game, Heap card game, Infernal Contraption card game, We Didn't Playtest This At All (x2), some great posters, signed Sentinels of the Multiverse game, signed Galaxy Strike Force Game, and a signed Sentinels: Tactics game.

See! We have LOADS of stuff!

Share this post, tell your friends and BUY SOME TICKETS! Look, all you need to do is click the link below:

• Options
    Our second auction item is ready to be announced, and it's a doozy!

Wizards of the Coast have given us a complete set of the D&D Fifth Edition core rulebooks, SIGNED by the D&D R&D team!

Yes, that's right, a COMPLETE set. The highest bidder will become the proud owner of the Player's Handbook, the Monsters Manual and the Dungeon Master's Guide.

"But, guys," we hear you say. "The DMG isn't released until *after* PAX Aus."

Yup. That's right. The aforementioned highest bidder will have a copy of the brand new DMG earmarked for their very own. One signed by the D&D R&D team (yes, that phrase is *exactly* as fun to write as you think it is. It's also fun to say. Go ahead. Say it now. I'll wait... see? How fun was that?).

So bring some extra sheckles along and help us help sick kids.

• Options
    9 days out!

We've sold 80 seats, and with comps for supporters (thanks, guys!) that means we've got just 74 left.

74 chances to get in on our $2500 prize pool, including boardgames, card games and miniatures games, Qwertees and Ript Tshirts, Turtle Beach gaming perihperals, LARP swords, and other awesomeness,.

74 chances to have a seat at the auction table for a boxed set of 2013 San Diego Comic black foil Planeswalkers and a complete D&D 5th Edition core rulebook set signed by the D&D R&D team.

74 chances to lay claim to a pair of epic wireless headphones just for having a good costume.

74 chances to say "I went to first one...".

Time, and tickets, are running out.

Get on it...

• Options
    Aaand... WE DID IT!

Thanks to everyone who came on the night.

We raised just under $4500 for Sydney Children's Hospital, and had a heck of a time doing it.

Plans are already afoot for 2015, with a wider trawl for auction items and fun swag on the cards.

Superhuge thanks go to all the people who helped on the night, and to our amazing supporters.

Watch this space, or possibly a new thread, for updates and info on the 2015 CPT Aus Trivia Night.

WOOHOO!

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I was super disappointed at missing this, thanks to my work schedule! Hopeful I can come next year :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I hope so, too!

We're absolutely running the night again in 2015 (and into the forseeable future), and will also be introducing some additional fun and games. :)