As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: the Gathering] Durdle turtle's a big hurdle.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ok, ok. On the interest of fairness, I did liked the Esper Control list that took second on 5k SCG Open:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1215663

And Jeskai tempo is cool.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Courser is showing up a lot, but not in the decks that are taking 1st.

A lot of these decks that run a lot of Delve seem pretty cool.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna put together a Temur midrange deck with Mindswipe, because haters need to get fireballed while I counterspell they shits.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm gonna put together a Temur midrange deck with Mindswipe, because penishead.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the real villain is crater's claws.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Turns out I bought a set of Stokes back when M15 hit.

You did good brain, you did good.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Are they like, boros charm status or something?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Geez, they're up to $4 on Star City

glad I picked up a set too :)

edit: geeeez, Rabblemaster is up to $20

I'm beginning to think M15 was drafted a total of 5 times

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Stoke $4
    Dig Through Time Foil $15
    Treasure Cruise Foil $18
    Rabblemaster $20
    Monastery Swiftspear Foil $25
    Sarkhan $40

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think M15 was drafted a total of 5 times

Sounds like a high estimate to me.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Hey neat! I have a Dig Through Time Foil ^_^

... but I don't play blue so ... I guess it's getting sold >_>

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm a bit mystified that my foil Wingmate Roc is worth less than a foil Swiftspear.

• Options
    Nyht wrote: »
    Hey neat! I have a Dig Through Time Foil ^_^

... but I don't play blue so ... I guess it's getting sold >_>

Nah, just give it to me.

• Options
    I'm a bit mystified that my foil Wingmate Roc is worth less than a foil Swiftspear.

It's got to be Commander/EDH players doing it. Like Dig Through Time is a 2 dollar card and yet the foil is 20 on star city? I have to rebuild my own Commander deck again but I think I'm going to wait until November for the new Commander Decks. I want to be a green planeswalker commander, I think so long as it's not awful :biggrin:

The only problem with that is sometimes it feels like mono colored decks are a bit more boring. Guess I'll get over it.

On another note, I'm finally throwing myself back into Standard today. Taking the mono green beats deck up to see how it works out. Most of it is the standard stuff; 4 courser, 4 elvish mystic, 4 sylvan, and 3 voyaging satyr.

Not sure if I'm supposed to run the new Mystics yet or not. It sure is a big ramp with 6 mana on turn 3 which is nice. I'm just not sure it's better than Sylvan or Voyaging given mono green devotion.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

It's got to be Commander/EDH players doing it. Like Dig Through Time is a 2 dollar card and yet the foil is 20 on star city? I have to rebuild my own Commander deck again but I think I'm going to wait until November for the new Commander Decks. I want to be a green planeswalker commander, I think so long as it's not awful :biggrin:

The only problem with that is sometimes it feels like mono colored decks are a bit more boring. Guess I'll get over it.

On another note, I'm finally throwing myself back into Standard today. Taking the mono green beats deck up to see how it works out. Most of it is the standard stuff; 4 courser, 4 elvish mystic, 4 sylvan, and 3 voyaging satyr.

Not sure if I'm supposed to run the new Mystics yet or not. It sure is a big ramp with 6 mana on turn 3 which is nice. I'm just not sure it's better than Sylvan or Voyaging given mono green devotion.

Swiftspear has nothing to do with EDH. That guy is better than mono-red's best one-drop in eternal formats (Goblin Guide) and is making burn/sligh a contender again.

Also, mono-colored decks are super strong and fun in EDH, though I am the kind of asshole that thinks Death Cloud for 7 on turn 3 with Sol Ring and Crucible of Worlds out is a good time.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Swiftspear has nothing to do with EDH. That guy is better than mono-red's best one-drop in eternal formats (Goblin Guide) and is making burn/sligh a contender again.

Also, mono-colored decks are super strong and fun in EDH, though I am the kind of asshole that thinks Death Cloud for 7 on turn 3 with Sol Ring and Crucible of Worlds out is a good time.

Had to look up which one swiftspear was (was confusing in my mind with Mindswipe ... for whatever reason O_O ) and that's not a bad 1 drop at all. Better for an uncommon. I need to google up some decks using that thing. I'm interested in red decks just not GOBLIN red decks. I play for fun as much as competitive and goblins ... bleh ... they don't jive with me.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Had my opponent do the saddest thing in a Khans prerelease:

First, opponent equipped Dragon Throne of Tarkir onto a 4/5 Alabaster Kirin. And you could tell they were thrilled about their "combo" -- Vigilance + Tap-Ability? Hell yeah.

Then the realization at Declare Attackers. (IT HAS DEFENDER?! ARGGGHHHHHHH!)

Then I attacked my 5/6 Necro Fiend into the Kirin; opponent blocks, activates Throne... concedes game. (Why yes, it does help to read the card.)

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    What you were supposed to do is let him develop a board, then when he has a bunch of guys and activates the throne to swing for the win, you activate your fiend in response to kill all of his dudes except the tapped kirin.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Yeesh, Dragon Throne is like the epitome of high setup cost.

"Look, you get this great Overrun effect! All you need is a big creature with high power and no summoning sickness that you don't mind not attacking with, and a bunch of other creatures to actually benefit from the effect! Oh, and nine mana."

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Today my Grand Arbiter Augustin IV arrived, together with a Brainstorm.

[Insert evil laughter here].

My store has like 4 Maelstrom Wanderer decks, so they can take it.

• Options
    Yeesh, Dragon Throne is like the epitome of high setup cost.

"Look, you get this great Overrun effect! All you need is a big creature with high power and no summoning sickness that you don't mind not attacking with, and a bunch of other creatures to actually benefit from the effect! Oh, and nine mana."

"throttle your dragon throne creature?"

There were like, 8 throttles going around my table tonight. I got 4, it's an excellent kill spell!

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the greatest flavor thing about dragon throne is that the best creature you can put in the throne is zurgo.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Lucedes wrote: »
    the greatest flavor thing about dragon throne is that the best creature you can put in the throne is zurgo.

While true purely from a "highest printed power" standpoint, it is worth noting that outlast is a thing (as is the general +1/+1 counter theme in Abzan) so it's not impossible to get something higher than Zurgo. Not that Zurgo isn't capable of getting bigger on his own, mind.

Those of you who picked up the launch weekend promo might notice that the promo version actually has Zurgo sitting there while the regular version is vacant.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    nnanjinnanji Registered User regular
    At my pre-release I used Nemesis Wave and got my opponent's Dragon Throne and his Durdle Turtle. The turtle fit the throne pretty well.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Screwed up bad at the Orlando GP. Went 8-1 day one, but left before final standings were posted, my last match got counted 2-1 the wrong way and i didn't notice until after the day 2 draft, and then it was to late to fix it. 9 rounds of magic is a lot of magic!

• Options
    Oooof. That one stings. Did the SCG staff make it up to you in any way?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I told the judges. They were sympathetic, but because I had already drafted with the wrong pool/pod by the time I notied they said it was too late to fix it. The match slip was incorrect so the mistake was totally my fault. They took my statement of what happened. My draft was a train wreck so I ended up not bothering anymore and catching some sleep instead. Second time ever drafting Khans (first time was last night to "prepare" for day 2 :P)
    This is the deck that got me 8-1. Icy Blast + Trumpet Blast all day. Many games ended with a turn 6-7 Icy+Trumpet+swing for 17.
    kq1weKK.jpg?1

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    Oh, high sentinels. That card's a monster.

• Options
    The Betman wrote: »
    Oh, high sentinels. That card's a monster.

It's a house. Arc lighting is also completely busted in this format. With morphs it pretty much reads "kill your two drop, kill your three drop".

• Options
    I told the judges. They were sympathetic, but because I had already drafted with the wrong pool/pod by the time I notied they said it was too late to fix it. The match slip was incorrect so the mistake was totally my fault. They took my statement of what happened. My draft was a train wreck so I ended up not bothering anymore and catching some sleep instead. Second time ever drafting Khans (first time was last night to "prepare" for day 2 :P)

Oh, right. You still MADE Day 2, just in the wrong pod. For some reason I thought the error caused you to miss the cut, which would have been horrific.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Bought a single pack of Tarkir out of curiousity.

Pulled a foil Sarkhan.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    More like OptimumZed

• Options
    Let's see who you really are!

*pulls off OptimusZed's mask*

Old Man SOTAR!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    So who has two thumbs and got spanked at Friday Night magic?

<-This guy

So yeah ... that could have gone better. Started out feeling good. First two matches I went 2-0 both times.

It was all downhill from there. Faced a mirror of mono green devotion on round 3 and lost soundly 0-2. Played a Rabble Mardu Deck (my first two game wins were the same actually) only this guy either knew what he was doing or got going just right. Went 1-2 on him. And lastly fought a Jeskai controlish deck which took me 0-2 as well.

I still had a lot of fun though and I'll do it again no doubt. I'm thinking I really need to splash either Red for all sorts of goodies, a LIGHT black splash for Doomwake Giant, or splashing white for removal/fleecemane.

Nyht on
  • Options
    I'm big on the red splash for Crater's Claws since it opens up a number of sideboard spells as well as letting you sometimes fireball someone for this final fourteen points of damage.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I got a KoT Sorin on MTGO that I'm interested in trading for a couple of the new KoT commanders.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I got a KoT Sorin on MTGO that I'm interested in trading for a couple of the new KoT commanders.

Which are you looking for? I think I have all of them except for Surrak. I might not be on MTGO until Friday night, but I'd definitely be interested in the trade.

• Options
    Just in case some of you guys don't post in the SE++ thread, we're doing a Fantasy Pro Tour for Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir this weekend if you want to jump in.

You're looking to pick the card you think will meet the criteria for decks in the top 16.

Planeswalker:

Large Creature (CMC 5+):

Medium Creature (CMC 3-4):

Small Creature (CMC <=2):

Instant:

Sorcery:

Enchantment:

Artifact (or Artifact Creature):

Nonbasic Land:

Khans of Tarkir card (Reprints and Basics included):

Pro Tour Winner:

Bonus Category - God:

Bonus Category - The sleeper pick (Breakout card of the tournament):

Bonus Category - The silver bullet (Most commonly played singleton):

• Options

Draft is starting up in a bit!

• Options
    WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    I bought a box of m15 for me and my friends to draft. Keep in mind there is typically only 4 of us so the draft decks can get pretty stupid in power....but my lord M15 was by far my least favorite set ever to draft. Did anyone else share my opinion?

(sorry i pretty much just lurk here)

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.