As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Estimate of 30,000-40,000 attendees according to the Convention & Visitor's Bureau

schreinereinerschreinereiner San Antonio, TXRegistered User new member
I've been looking for estimates from sources who would be in a position to know how big Pax South may be for a while. Here's the article by the Rivard Report including an estimate supposedly by the Convention & Visitor's Bureau of 30,000-40,000 attendees.

For a first year event this would be pretty impressive.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Dammit, that article...is it January yet?! I want it to be January now.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    It's awesome to see the enthusiasm and excitement of the new PAX from both sides. I'm really glad that I get to be a part of it... so ready for January.

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Bring it on!

This space for rent
  • schreinereinerschreinereiner San Antonio, TXRegistered User new member
    I figured they probably would provide that number based on the space the organizers have blocked.

Maximum capacity according to this site http://www.eventective.com/USA/Texas/San+Antonio/49556/The-Henry-B-Gonzalez-Convention-Center.html is around 60,000. And that's without the expansion currently underway on the east side of the complex. So there should be room to grow if things go well.

• PurichanPurichan Registered User new member
    That's a scary big number! Better bring those comfy shoes for all that standing in line hehehe. Got to say though, I've always wanted to go to a 'big' con, I've only been to what might be considered medium sized so I'm looking forward to seeing all things on an even bigger scale.

• Ezra355Ezra355 Registered User regular
    I was actually pretty scared that this one would be sort of a small con since this is going to be the first South and this is my first con so im really glad that its going to be big.

• ericdavidsmithericdavidsmith Registered User new member
    All signs point to this being an epic weekend, ladies and gents.

• MidanMidan Registered User regular
    30,000 to 40,000? Wow! I live in a town of 3,000.... that means that in roughly the same space as our main street there will be more then 10 times the entire population of my town. This is going to be intense! I knew it would be a big con but I guess I never realized how big....

• TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    Your small town will thank you for bringing them PAX-pox

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
    uh oh... PAX pox?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Midan wrote: »
    uh oh... PAX pox?

aka con-crud. aka, the sickness that often comes after being in a crowded space and touching the same things as thousands of people from across the globe who have all kinds of little bugs you aren't immune to. Basically, wash your hands often, and make use of sanitizing gel that will probably be around.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Oh! I'm already on top of that! I got my multivitamins going and extra vitamin c and fiber, probably even get my flue shot! I handle money all day everyday so I decided to get prepared this winter!

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    uh oh... PAX pox?

aka con-crud. aka, the sickness that often comes after being in a crowded space and touching the same things as thousands of people from across the globe who have all kinds of little bugs you aren't immune to. Basically, wash your hands often, and make use of sanitizing gel that will probably be around.
    More specifically. Don't touch your face. Wash your hands before you eat. Don't lay down on the beanbags in the handheld lounge, no matter how tired you are. And feel free to not shake hands when you meet folks, that isn't (too) rude at PAX since the disease is such a known factor.

Always implement best practices

pin_iron_guard.png

Pins!
  • dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Please no ebola...

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    Pax South had no chance of being small :D Between San Antonio and Austin, the gaming community in South Texas is quite rich. I'm just glad we left some tickets for the rest of the PAX community!

• TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    Given that the CVB told Alamo City Comic Con the first year that they'd be lucky to crack 10K and they blew the roof off with the better part of 40K, I'd consider this estimate low; the CVB doesn't understand the power of geek culture in the least. (ACCC this year drew the better part of 70K+ over the 3 and a half days.) I fully expect the 30K-40K estimate to be small by a lot, especially with the power of the PAX brand behind it. Any clue as to whether they shoved it in only one part of the convention center or whether they opened up more of the floor space? And any clue as to whether more tix will go on sale for 3day or Saturday?

Trailsong wrote: »
    And any clue as to whether more tix will go on sale for 3day or Saturday?

Not likely unless they have to force cancel some orders, and even then the resale would be quick.

Pins!
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I went to an event with like 1100 people and downtown made me want to lie down in traffic. Not looking forward to that part of PAX.

• TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    Downtown parking will be absolutely insane. And it will be compounded by anything else going on anywhere.

Parking at the Henry B (local nickname for the convention center) is a madhouse to begin with. Now add in that some of the parking has been eliminated by a massive expansion to the center (adding what looks to be double the capacity to it-- something to capture more convention business like Pax, Wizard World, Alamo City Comic Con, and so much more downtown). And the mall parking right across the street. If there's any event at the AlamoDome, that'll kill even more parking. Now add in at the Henry B during the con, the Retail Jewelers Association Annual Buying Show (estimate 700-100, plus heavy security), and it's going to be even more messy. Not as messy as having the city's largest bridal show the last day of Alamo City Comic Con-- there were people in absolute tears for lack of parking during the combination of shows.

If you have anti-anxiety meds, stock up now.

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Trailsong wrote: »
    Downtown parking will be absolutely insane.

I'm not as pessimistic as all that. If Seattle and Boston can handle PAXes, then San Antonio can too. We're two and a half times the size of those cities, and we host Fiesta every year for God's sake. We'll be fine.

Wickersham on
    Wickersham wrote: »
    I'm not as pessimistic as all that. If Seattle and Boston can handle PAXes, then San Antonio can too. We're two and a half times the size of those cities, and we host Fiesta every year for God's sake. We'll be fine.
    I'm not being pessimistic; I'm going by experience with downtown events. Believe me, I'd rather be proven wrong than right.

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    So looks like driving and parking would be a less than ideal to do, if you are not staying at a local hotel. Unless you like that type of pain....to each their own

• AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    flashe wrote: »
    So looks like driving and parking would be a less than ideal to do, if you are not staying at a local hotel. Unless you like that type of pain....to each their own
    WELL, a nice USB stick of music and taking two hours to go 5 miles doesn't seem so bad! I am driving from Houston and I don't intend to use my car at all while I am there. I would say because of the Riverwalk and specific one-way streets it will be hellish as said above.

• jj4thjj4th Registered User regular
    40,000 people sounds no worse than the average event at the Alamodome. Downtown can handle it. We had nearly 300,000 come down for the fireworks show at HemisFair park during the 4th of July. And the river parade supposedly brings 250,000.

• MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    I don't think there will be as much traffic generated by PAXers as those other events have generated. While I'm sure several SA locals will attend PAX most attendees will be from out of town. They'll more than likely be at hotels and opt to walk or use shuttles to get to the event. With a bridal show or any other event like that the traffic is primarily local. Just my thoughts on the matter. I'm staying as close as I possibly can, so I'll certainly be walking everywhere.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
    Question does anyone know if the hotels have a shuttle service to the convention center? If they do I bet that will cut a lot of traffic too. Honestly if it is like the couple of things I have attended at down town Austin (not convention related) the biggest problem for drivers that holds up traffic is driving through areas congested with people walking. So if there is a lot of foot traffic going to the convention center I bet the cars will be slower too.

• gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    Question does anyone know if the hotels have a shuttle service to the convention center? If they do I bet that will cut a lot of traffic too. Honestly if it is like the couple of things I have attended at down town Austin (not convention related) the biggest problem for drivers that holds up traffic is driving through areas congested with people walking. So if there is a lot of foot traffic going to the convention center I bet the cars will be slower too.

Traffic is always pretty slow in downtown SA. That said, the convention center is right next to the expressway, so for people coming in from not downtown, it shouldn't be an issue. Unlike Pax East, the center is right in the mix of things as well (downtown SA is surprisingly compact) so shuttles might not really be needed.

• MidasMidas Registered User new member
    San Antonio can handle Fiesta... it can handle PAX.

• kornpoppskornpopps Registered User new member
    true... san antonio can handle fiesta its the weather that cant handle san antonio. but then again half the city shuts down for fiesta