As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - Swiper

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - Swiper

Swiper

Swiper

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/10/01

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The most important question: does it allow cheesecake on the service? or is it all "naw, that's a custard!"

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that I saw the title of this comic and immediately thought it was going to be about Dora the Explorer?

• GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    But what happened to dat shoelace doe?

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    @Zerzhul Cheesecake =/= Custard :p. If they don't allow cheesecake, then the app and all that made it are heathens and will burn in righteous fire.

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Jacketed Gabe is looking pretty fly.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    maybe when you swipe a cake, things randomly disappear. like the shoelace.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have no idea if Tinder for Cake is a real thing, but this comic is delightfully silly.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Cheesecake is ony a cake in the sense that it's a mostly homogenous three-dimensional mass with squared edges, e.g. A cake of soap.

Culinarily that mofo is a custard pie.

• VinvenVinven Registered User regular
    The shadow from the leaf falling down is still there on the right panel.

• ReplicanttenReplicantten Registered User regular
    The cake is a lie.

• CrypticRageCrypticRage Registered User new member
    Is it just me or does this comic look..."richer"...than what I've been seeing lately.

I think there's more subtle color variation on Gabe and Tycho's clothes (and skin). The Fall palette in the background is also very nice.

Shout out to Gabe for posting the super huge first panel without any text.

It's gorgeous. Well done. :)

• Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Cheesecake is ony a cake in the sense that it's a mostly homogenous three-dimensional mass with squared edges, e.g. A cake of soap.

Culinarily that mofo is a custard pie.

Loosen up! (j/k) :P
    If you lower your standards, you're more likely to get lucky. ;)
    anatomia-de-la-adolescencia-4_principalgaleriaapaisada.jpg

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • OtieOtie Registered User regular
    Gabe's (Mike's) post about father-hood/husband-hood was quite insightful. I'm neither of those things, so maybe that means I can't understand whare he's coming from, but I appreciate those quiet moments in games too. ('Last of Us' has one of the best stories I've ever played, and about all I play are serious story-based games.) Again, great post!

• dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    Did Tycho mean "renown" instead of reknown? I know Jerry likes to make up words but those were just a little too close that it seems like a typo.

I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I'm so jelly of that background. I can't wait to be able to paint like that.

• dead.juicedead.juice Registered User regular
    I like the way this scene is composed in general.
    That particularly drawn cross-legged pose Gabe has, with that Fall background. It just seems so familiar to me and my environment. I really really like the art in this one.
    I usually, after work, go grab a couple beers and go chill with my friend in a local nature reserve. On a bench like the one featured here. This seems like the exact picture we usually adapt. Me being Gabe with the crossed legs, and my friend being Tycho with the spread knees.

Does Mike ever record himself painting this stuff? I love fall, and I've been trying to paint something like that very background. I'd love to see the process involved. It's inspiring to see how far Mike has come. I hope I get there some day.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    He has streamed drawing strips on several occasions, but I forget if it's a regular scheduled things or just when the mood strikes him. His twitter is probably the best place to see.

YL9WnCY.png
  • EvilSpiceEvilSpice Registered User new member
    Love the facial expressions. this strip looks great!

• enjoyincubusenjoyincubus Registered User regular
    After reading this strip I clicked "?" (random comic button). The first one that pops up is the following

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/09/19/critical-strike

It's a great comparison of the fall background to the old art style. Much improved!

• tygresstygress Registered User new member
    What about cupcakes? Oh god, I would never get out of bed.

• BolerBoler Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think of a good joke profile for Cake-Tinder and coming up with blanks.

Maybe a profile with a picture of the ingredient list only, with a big red circle drawn around the price to show it's a rich cake. And it's also a rich cake

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Fondant is fond of you! Reply now.

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    I seem to recall Tycho mentioning that anytime you see a comic involving food, it usually means that they were trying to come up with a comic idea and lunch was fast approaching and they were hungry. I believe this other comic ( in one of the books I think) was singled out as an example http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/07/29

edited October 2014
    Thanks @ Bobkins

ziddersroofurry on