As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I would be sort of interested in this... iiiiif there hadn't already been a Resident Evil remake and Capcom wasn't in such a blatantly-obvious cash-grab mode. I mean, yeah, companies should want to make money, but this is just so... half-assed. A reboot? Maybe. But Capcom has spent the last few iterations of the RE series stomping all the suspense and tension out of the series for more AAAAAACTIIIIOOOOON! I just don't see them managing to not do the same for an RE reboot, so not much interest on my part there.
    It's a crime this is being remade a second time, yet not one Dino Crisis remake.
    Since I've never had the chance to play Dino Crisis and heard a lot about it, yeah, it's a shame that Dino Crisis isn't getting a remake, because I would totally buy that.

What are you talking about? This is a port of the GC remake, so you should expect the most suspense and tension in the entire series (especially if you just so happened to run out of lighter fluid) and absolutely no shooter bullshit.
    No, I mean that Capcom doing a reboot of the RE series would strip away the good suspense and tension, not that this remake won't have. My bad, wasn't clear enough about that.

Oh, then I absolutely agree. What little faith I do have left is only there because they openly praised The Last of Us, so maybe they'll try to make a proper survival horror game one day (though it'd still probably be terrible anyway, like Revelations).
    Decided to remedy the whole "never played Dino Crisis" thing and, while stuff like using fixed camera angles to force suspense still irritates me, yeah, I just do not see Capcom being able to make games like this again, even with reboots. All the puzzle stuff would get replaced with "shoot a zillion things until you find these keys to put in something", and all the suspense would get thrown out the window in favor of mowing down hordes of enemies. As ancient and clunky as this game is, I'm not even an hour into the game and had at least a couple of great moments of hating surprising dinosaurs, whereas RE4 (which I played shortly after playing REmake and was expecting a similar survival-horror experience) was about as suspenseful as whether or not the sun comes back every day. I enjoy it plenty now, but it was a big disappointment at the time to have all the suspense replaced with all shootiness.

The shame is that there is zero reason they couldn't have different franchises for the action games and the suspense games, except for the fact that Capcom has its head too far its own ass to realize that new lower-budget games can also be profitable.

Man, you are poopy at maths.

If a game with a $1,000,000 budget makes $20,000,000 in sales, then a game with a $100,000,000 budget will make $2,000,000,000!

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I would be sort of interested in this... iiiiif there hadn't already been a Resident Evil remake and Capcom wasn't in such a blatantly-obvious cash-grab mode. I mean, yeah, companies should want to make money, but this is just so... half-assed. A reboot? Maybe. But Capcom has spent the last few iterations of the RE series stomping all the suspense and tension out of the series for more AAAAAACTIIIIOOOOON! I just don't see them managing to not do the same for an RE reboot, so not much interest on my part there.
    It's a crime this is being remade a second time, yet not one Dino Crisis remake.
    Since I've never had the chance to play Dino Crisis and heard a lot about it, yeah, it's a shame that Dino Crisis isn't getting a remake, because I would totally buy that.

What are you talking about? This is a port of the GC remake, so you should expect the most suspense and tension in the entire series (especially if you just so happened to run out of lighter fluid) and absolutely no shooter bullshit.
    No, I mean that Capcom doing a reboot of the RE series would strip away the good suspense and tension, not that this remake won't have. My bad, wasn't clear enough about that.

Oh, then I absolutely agree. What little faith I do have left is only there because they openly praised The Last of Us, so maybe they'll try to make a proper survival horror game one day (though it'd still probably be terrible anyway, like Revelations).
    Decided to remedy the whole "never played Dino Crisis" thing and, while stuff like using fixed camera angles to force suspense still irritates me, yeah, I just do not see Capcom being able to make games like this again, even with reboots. All the puzzle stuff would get replaced with "shoot a zillion things until you find these keys to put in something", and all the suspense would get thrown out the window in favor of mowing down hordes of enemies. As ancient and clunky as this game is, I'm not even an hour into the game and had at least a couple of great moments of hating surprising dinosaurs, whereas RE4 (which I played shortly after playing REmake and was expecting a similar survival-horror experience) was about as suspenseful as whether or not the sun comes back every day. I enjoy it plenty now, but it was a big disappointment at the time to have all the suspense replaced with all shootiness.

The shame is that there is zero reason they couldn't have different franchises for the action games and the suspense games, except for the fact that Capcom has its head too far its own ass to realize that new lower-budget games can also be profitable.

Man, you are poopy at maths.

If a game with a $1,000,000 budget makes $20,000,000 in sales, then a game with a $100,000,000 budget will make $2,000,000,000!

"We'll make a game that costs all the money, then it will make twenty times all the money! It's brilliant!"

"Uh, sir, the game only made six times all the money."

"You're fired. Report to the Death Room."

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    looks like they just pulled the models straight out of re5, huge armed chris and all.

that boulder is gonna get wrecked.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Me and my friend got this back when it came out for the GC, but I was a big baby back then and only watched my friend play. Years later, I wanted to play it myself, but I couldn't find a decently-priced copy and Gamecube emulation is crap. I'm very glad to hear that it's being rereleased, even if it's not the highest-effort project.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITGNvv6r7G8

okay yeah, im getting this. the backgrounds are re-rendered for higher res. looks great and the pan and scan nature of the areas seems to work well. the crypt at the back of the house is a little lighter than i would like but everything looks nice.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Is it really re-rendered? From my understanding (and the way it looks), all they did was blow up the backgrounds and applied a sharpening filter.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    check the crypt comparison with the gamecube version @1:20 that looks more than just blown up and sharpened.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    If you got the GC version, just play that. If you really need the game on the go, get it.

I do like that they are detaching it from platforms and getting it out into the PC realm.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Wow I have very mixed feeling about this. Sorry if this has been talked about just foud the thread, surprised it's been around since august.

My first thought was awesome! This is one of my favorite games of all time. The control were clunky but the story was good, the game was scary, and I bought into it. I'd love to play it again in beautiful HD.

My second thought was about RE0, which I believe was only released on game cube. It would have been nice to include that, then you get both beginnings.

And then that's when I started to really question this, especially when the master chief collection entered my brain. Is this going to be a full $60 title? If so, I feel kind if ripped off, especially after reading that the backgrounds are just uprez'd.

Shouldn't this be Resident Evil Trilogy HD or slmething? The first 3 games. I feel if this is just RE1, and if it's $60, it's a complete rip off. At least include RE0.

Or maybe it's a $20 title and a must buy, but I'm guessing not.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be Resident Evil Trilogy HD or slmething? The first 3 games. I feel if this is just RE1, and if it's $60, it's a complete rip off. At least include RE0.

Because a game isn't worth sixty bucks, but a game and a turd are.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    cool, i will get this and cry at the snake because im asceered of snakes

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Wow I have very mixed feeling about this. Sorry if this has been talked about just foud the thread, surprised it's been around since august.

My first thought was awesome! This is one of my favorite games of all time. The control were clunky but the story was good, the game was scary, and I bought into it. I'd love to play it again in beautiful HD.

My second thought was about RE0, which I believe was only released on game cube. It would have been nice to include that, then you get both beginnings.

And then that's when I started to really question this, especially when the master chief collection entered my brain. Is this going to be a full $60 title? If so, I feel kind if ripped off, especially after reading that the backgrounds are just uprez'd.

Or maybe it's a $20 title and a must buy, but I'm guessing not.

There's zero chance it's going to be $60. Their other digital only re-releases, RE4 HD and RECV HD, were $20, so this will almost certainly be in the same ball park.

RE Zero will probably follow this if it's successful, even though it's a pretty poor game.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Lol at people wanting zero. Lets just forget that shit existed.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    RE0 is the only RE game I've never finished. :( I want to do it some day.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Most of the people wanting to buy this seem to only be doing so in hope that it will finally get a REmake of Resident Evil 2. Myself included.

Viskod on
  • Options
    That's the added benefit for me, honestly. I absolutely loved the first one more and would buy it on literally everything if I could.

I'm the guy that Capcom loves.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But Rebecca~ <3

Man, that reveal for RE:Revelations 2 was hilarious. Who're the most demanded returns to the series? Barry and Rebecca. Lets replace both of them with a new character.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Most of the people wanting to buy this seem to only be doing so in hope that it will finally get a REmake of Resident Evil 2. Myself included.

People have been wanting that and a FF7 remake for so long I'm positive neither will ever happen.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've never played any of RE2, but I sometimes feel like I have, due to how integrated that game is into pretty much every other aspect of the series. I would love a chance to play a REmake of it.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is a PC version of RE2 that is pretty nice. Everything in high res.

• Options
    cept for the pixelated backgrounds unless you use that awesome psx filter which i'm pretty sure you can't on the pc version.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Just watch a Let's Play or something. It's awful.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I would kill for a RE2:make. It would be so awesome.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Bubby wrote: »

People have been wanting that and a FF7 remake for so long I'm positive neither will ever happen.

Square has said they won't remake FF7 until they make a game that finally beats its sales.

So yeah, prooooobably never.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

Did you finish the train section? If so then it's all downhill from there. Except for maybe the RE2 lab section but that made no sense anyway.

I think you're projecting your dreams on everyone else. Personally, I want REmake on PS4 and PC so I don't have to pull out my GC from the closet to play one of my favourite games. I don't want a RE2make because I have zero faith Capcom would actually deliver. Mikami and Kamiya are gone, so who would remake and redesign the game? RE6's director?

• Options
    Rather than a REmake, they should do a REboot.

I came up with a great concept for how they could do it too.

Start the game in the mansion. Make the mansion portion roughly 1/3 of the game. Then, take the game outside the mansion, flow down through the mountains and forest and eventually end up in Raccoon city. The REboot would essentially combine the major plot points of RE1 and RE2 and streamline them into one game, with the escape from Raccoon City being the epic conclusion.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I kinda want them to do Operation Raccoon City but just not fuck it up.

New set of survivors, Outbreak style, online co op, everyone has different skills, using the RE6 engine, set in Raccoon City. You have a time limit and a set of objectives, Dead Rising style, and there is not enough ammo to compensate for zombers being easy to headshot. In fact, have some characters just not able to use weapons at all - but they'd be able to carry more items or open extra doors or whatevs.

And being set in Raccoon, they'd not have the opportunity to write a bunch of new bullshit. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I thought O:RC was pretty fun. I think if the game had a few more months of development it could've been huge.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Did you finish the train section? If so then it's all downhill from there. Except for maybe the RE2 lab section but that made no sense anyway.

I think you're projecting your dreams on everyone else. Personally, I want REmake on PS4 and PC so I don't have to pull out my GC from the closet to play one of my favourite games. I don't want a RE2make because I have zero faith Capcom would actually deliver. Mikami and Kamiya are gone, so who would remake and redesign the game? RE6's director?

Naw I'm getting it from seeing and hearing people say "oh man I wish they'd do a REmake of 2 if this sells."

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Honestly, rereleasing Outbreak or making file #3 would be amazing too. With a Steam release of course.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I thought O:RC was pretty fun. I think if the game had a few more months of development it could've been huge.
    Nah that game was utter trash. It made me really mad paying full price for a broken janky game, and on top of that I bought the CE off Capcom's website... so double burned on that glitch-fest. It was a half-baked, 3rd person L4D with crap multiplayer and a nonsense story.

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    More time would simply bring more terrible content as devs clearly had no idea what they were doing.

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    I will probably be in the minority here, but I never got into the original REs b/c of the fixed camera angle. I did pick up RE5 though and liked that, but overall I still don't see the overall allure the series brought.

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    I don't like fixed camera either. In any genre. While I appreciate certain aspects of the first RE game, such as the emphasis on survival and puzzle solving, the fixed camera is a huge detriment. Also, the controls are terrible. It's nearly impossible to go back and play RE1 anymore, because of how awful the control scheme is.

• Options
    Nah that game was utter trash. It made me really mad paying full price for a broken janky game, and on top of that I bought the CE off Capcom's website... so double burned on that glitch-fest. It was a half-baked, 3rd person L4D with crap multiplayer and a nonsense story.

Ah, see I picked it up for like $6 from Gamefly and played locally with a buddy of mine. It was pretty fun that way (and this was several months later). This is all my opinion of course as I realize that I am in the severe minority when it comes to this. :)

• Options
    Fixed camera for life.

• Options

Naw I'm getting it from seeing and hearing people say "oh man I wish they'd do a REmake of 2 if this sells."

Really? I've seen far more people excited just to play the game, since there were a ton of people that never owned a GC.

Anyway, my only complaint about this game is the new control method. Including 3D controls is an insult to the original game and I'm betting will break the difficulty. And that's not even taking into account the way it'll break animation transitions.

• Options

Really? I've seen far more people excited just to play the game, since there were a ton of people that never owned a GC.

Anyway, my only complaint about this game is the new control method. Including 3D controls is an insult to the original game and I'm betting will break the difficulty. And that's not even taking into account the way it'll break animation transitions.

From a design perspective, more options is never a bad thing. I for one will be using classic tank controls, so the new control scheme doesn't bother me none.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't like fixed camera either. In any genre. While I appreciate certain aspects of the first RE game, such as the emphasis on survival and puzzle solving, the fixed camera is a huge detriment. Also, the controls are terrible. It's nearly impossible to go back and play RE1 anymore, because of how awful the control scheme is.
    Sir! I heartily disagree!

In fact, I adopt the heretical position that the fixed camera angles in REmake are the absolute best thing about the game. Let me count the things fixed camera angles are used to do:

1. Highlight important items. I'm sure we've all had the experience of just walking past some important item or puzzle piece in a 3D game before. Some games (very annoyingly) momentarily take control of the camera away from you just to shove your face in it. "YOU NEED TO GO HERE" the game shouts at you. "Yes, I get it. I'm not an idiot" you might reply to the game. But who knows? I've missed stuff that should have been obvious before. REmake is a classier game than that. Its fixed camera angles often place things you need in the foreground, or use the position of other objects in the room to naturally draw your eye to the relevant information. It never feels forced, because it doesn't break up the flow of the game.

2. Establish mood. This one's obvious, but it bears emphasis. The main hall of the mansion tends to keep the camera pulled back, giving you a wide view of the area. You can tell there's no immediate danger, but the emptiness of the room creates its own kind of tension. The game is telling you "I have awful things in store for you, but you can't see them yet." Another early example of this is shortly after you encounter your first zombie. You walk through a hallway with the camera at a dutch angle. Often used to create feelings of disorientation, this hallway always makes me feel as if I'm standing on the precipice of madness. It's just an empty, dark hallway, and yet it's so memorable. In video games, I've walked down a fuckton of empty hallways, and let me tell you that practically the only ones I remember are from REmake.

2A. Sorry, but I'm going to dwell on this one a bit more, since it's so important to the horror genre. They're used masterfully to build tension. Opening a new door is a frightening event in RE, since you never know what you're going to find. Sometimes the game will torture you by keeping the camera fixed on the door you just walked through, rather than on the room full of POSSIBLE enemies. This is used sparingly, but it's so jarring when it happens. Your desire to know what your surroundings are suddenly spikes to almost unbearable levels. Just like the hallway example above, this manages to turn an ordinary event like walking through a door into a moment that I remember. Another great example of this is when the camera hangs on a certain shot far longer than it usually does. Near the end of the game, there's a hallway that you start running down... and you just keep running. You mind keeps expecting the game to jump to a new angle, but it doesn't. You character just keeps getting smaller and smaller. The game is whispering in your ear, "Something's coming... Are you ready?" And you look at your tiny, shinking character and desperately which you could just turn around.

3. Foreshadowing. Imagine you're exploring this creepy mansion, you turn a corner and suddently (gasp!) you're outside? Wait, no, you're not outside. The camera is outside a window, looking through it at your character. Not only does this force you into the uncomfortable position of imagining something outside watching you, but also gives you an unfortunate realization; these windows aren't going to make it to the end of the game. At some point, someone or something is coming through them. Another great example of taking an empty room, making it memorable, and simultaneously giving you information relevant to your survival.

4. Prevent an over-reliance on jump scares. Jump scares are the easiest, laziest way to scare someone. Honestly, they don't even scare. They surprise. The setting and story can make that surprise seem scary, but technique itself is boring. REmake certainly has its fair share of jumps, but the use of fixed camera angles gives it more tools in its arsenal. You could literally remove all the jump scares in the game and it would still be legitimately creepy. (If you did that with most modern horror games, you'd probably just have a violent action game.)

5. Draw attention to REmake's astounding sound design. When the game refuses to let you see everything in the room (see 2A), it forces you to rely more on your other senses for information. Luckily, every enemy has a distinctive utterance. REmake has some of the most memorable sound effects ever, probably because I learned to listen for them as if my life depended on it. I think everyone who has played REmake for any length of time will never be able to forget that distinctive zombie groan. Or the sound of dog paws scraping against linoleum. Honestly, the sounds are great on their own, but the fixed angles in certain rooms guarantees that you'll learn to appreciate (and hate) them.

6. Show off (all of) those character models. Leon has a great ass. But by the end of RE4, I felt like I had seen enough of it. I'd go so far as to say I'd become bored of looking at his ass. REmake recognizes this danger, and instead uses various camera angles to treat us to all sorts of front and back shots of Jill and Chris. And when the game treats us to the occasional ass view, it feels earned.

I'm sure this rant will only be read by a few, but to those few I'd like to apologize for not being able to support my points with screenshots. But I think that most people who have played REmake will remember the locations I've mentioned. At least, I'd like to think the camera work in REmake made as big an impact on others as it did on me.

As an addendum, I support tank controls only because they serve a greater purpose, and that purpose is fixed camera angles.

Rex Dart on
This discussion has been closed.