As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 10/3/14: What about tradition?

Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
tumblr_ncslzb56YT1rs0y1io1_500.png

Rat Queens #8. Why are you not reading this?

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Because Scans said it's immature and stupid.

They can go suck dwarf cock.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My Moment of the Week was the entirety of Suicide Risk #18 this week.

Suicide Risk is such an odd book. The first arc is this story about how a policeman gets super powers to try to take on super villains directly, despite knowing that just about everyone who gets super powers eventually turns into a villain. And that arc was short and pedestrian and I can't blame anyone for leaving the book there. But from that starting point, Carey builds a pair of worlds with so much in the way of feels in them. Especially in the one-shots.

And this week just blows the rest of it away in feels. I started this issue disappointed that I wouldn't get more Leo, Tracey, Terza and Requiem right away (especially after how the previous issue went), and instead I got hit in the feels so hard that I read the book Wednesday afternoon and I'm still feeling them now.

I'm not even entirely sure how to feel about it in some ways, there's so many feels. You can see it on a romantic level, where a guy loses the love of his life due to making a series of idealistic choices, and how he makes another idealistic choice in penance at the end just to be able to see her again. You can see it on a "war destroys people" level, as the sweet character from the start and end of the story becomes a ruthless general. You can see it on a "misogyny fail" level, as the guy takes responsibility for his girlfriend's choices and tries to make choices for her every step of the day, with disastrous results. You can see it as a tragedy, with a romance broken by events and life choices and treachery, or as a triumph, where a good person gets a second chance at being a good person. It's a story about people betraying that which is most important to them, and why they would do that. It's a story that ends on a tragic note that the people from the start of the story didn't deserve, and it's a story that ends on a hopeful note that the people from the second half of the story didn't deserve.

In my opinion, Suicide Risk is currently the best book on shelves.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I rate Rat Queens as one of the five best ongoings right now.

Haters can get ridden by the Four Daves.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Right now, I'd say my top bunch of currently ongoing books are:

1. Suicide Risk
    2. Saga
    3. Uber

After that, there's a clustergaggle of Lazarus, the Unwritten, Death Vigil, Velvet, Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, Alex + Ada, Bandette, and Princess Ugg. Picking which one of those is best is pretty much a week-by-week thing.

This is such an amazing time to be a comic reader.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    such an amazingly expensive time to be a comics reader

I picked my top 3 in a SE++ thread as Lumberjanes, Ms. Marvel, & The Wicked + The Divine and even then I felt weird about leaving out Sex Criminals, Saga, Velvet, and Loki

too many good comics, y'all

Fuck, I somehow forgot to put The Wicked + The Divine in my list. I thought that I had it there.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yep, so many good comics.

The Unwritten, Saga, Rat Queens, Wonder Woman (until the writer change), and New Avengers are my current top five.

High up there are Uber, Ms. Marvel, Loki, Shutter, East of West, The Wicked + The Devine, Princess Ugg, Velvet, Sex Criminals, Death Vigil, Alex & Ada, Chew, Quantum and Woody (once it starts up again, currently an emptiness in my heart), and others I'm probably not remembering right now.

Not to mention the guilty pleasures...

vagrant_winds on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    such an amazingly expensive time to be a comics reader

I picked my top 3 in a SE++ thread as Lumberjanes, Ms. Marvel, & The Wicked + The Divine and even then I felt weird about leaving out Sex Criminals, Saga, Velvet, and Loki

too many good comics, y'all

I cannot wait for more trades of pretty much all of these since that's my preferred method.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I rate Rat Queens as one of the five best ongoings right now.

Haters can get ridden by the Four Daves.

Now my attempts to talk someone into reading it because I said it was awesome have all failed

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I came across Uber a few weeks ago and was wondering how it was, I may have to pick it up and give it a try.

Nobody wrote: »
    I came across Uber a few weeks ago and was wondering how it was, I may have to pick it up and give it a try.

One of the single best comics in existence right now.