As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tabletop][Sherlock Holmes] Moriarty's Machinations - Awesome Hidden-Roles Game!

KestralbKestralb Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Games and Technology
This game is awesome and is entering the final week of it's Kickstarter!!

Basically imagine "The Resistance" and then make it *better*, more interesting, more nuanced, and much more re-playable (and Sherlock Homes themed, which also is a plus).
(original Shut Up & Sit Down review of "The Resistance": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46_il4ijkA)

Now like The Resistance you'll select teams to go on missions(heists). If you're a criminal you want to keep cops(similar to spies) off the teams and if you're a cop you want to get a cop on each team to foil the heist.

But there are two *big* changes: First and most importantly, victory isn't just up to which team gets the most heists. Heists are just a tie-breaker. The *real* winners are the team who, at the end of the game, can correctly guess the identity of the other team's leader. Inspector Lestrade (of the cops) will choose someone to arrest - if he Arrests Prof. Moriarty the Cops win. But at the same time, Jack the ripper (of the criminals) will choose someone to kill - if he kills Sherlock Homes the Criminals win. Only if both teams guess correctly (or both fail to guess correctly) will the team with the most heists carry the day.

Second, *every* role is unique. Instead of just normal people(who all know nothing) and spies(who all know all the other spies), each player has a unique role on their team and unique information at their disposal to play that role. Deducing these roles is primary, and it is a total blast. (I've had the chance to play this game with its creator at Knight Moves Cafe in Boston, so I can tell you 1st hand how fun it is.) For instance, in a 7 player game (it supports 5-10 players) you will have:

Prof. Moriarty (Criminal Leader)
...who knows who most of the Cops are from the start, except Sherlock, but can't be too obvious about his knowledge lest Lestrade identify him.

Colonel Moran (Criminal)
...who is the only one to know who Moriarty is from the beginning and is tasked with protecting him from discovery.

Brutus (Criminal)
...who can "take the fall" once per game, countering a single "foil" card on a single heist. He knows nothing at the start of the game though, so must use his wits to identify the best time to employ this power.

Jack the Ripper (Criminal)
...who knows no one's identity from the beginning but must try to identify Sherlock by the end of the game to kill him.

Sherlock Holmes (Cop Leader)
...who knows who his fellow cops are as well as the identity of Brutus, which puts him at a unique advantage, but he must choose carefully which heists to foil (or not foil) in order to avoid tipping his hand and arousing the suspicion of Jack the Ripper.

Watson (Cop)
...who is the only one to know who Sherlock is from the beginning and must protect him at any cost.

Inspector Lestrade (Cop)
...who knows nothing at the beginning of the game and into whose bungling hands Holmes and Watson must entrust the task of arresting their nemesis Moriarty at the end of the game.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with the SUSD community, partly in the (selfish) hope that some of you will back it, the Kickstarter will succeed and my own copy will in fact be produced. :)

Let me know if you have any questions; the game-play video on the KS page is great and I can answer questions since, as I said, I did get to play several rounds of the game with its creator a while back.
It only got better with each round. It's fun right from the get-go, but the more you know the other players and the more you get to know the roles, the more deductions you'll be able to make (or be tricked into making!) and the more fun you'll have.
And I haven't even mentioned Irene Adler, who is on her own team in the 6, 8, and 10 player versions!

Tube on

This discussion has been closed.