As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Season 1 in progress. Dare you enter this RNG realm?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I guess I'm just confused as to why Buriza, Kridershot, and the other one are usually recommended over a good hand crossbow then

Thanks for the calculator Naphtali‌

I'll plug my stats in when I get home

the damage of your attacks also factors into bolt damage, so 2h bow/xbow will be at a lower break point but attacks will do more damage, 1h xbows can reach a higher breakpoint but do less damage per hit.
    Naphtali wrote: »

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I tried out Ball Lightning with Meticulous Bolts this morning (no Helltrapper or optimized gear at all) and found it to be really fun. Much more involved than the standard frost/fire sentry build. I think that's a great option to have and to work for, though not for groups with all that lag it can cause. And, daaaaaaaamn, reflect straight destroys you when you self-cast your elemental arrows. Still, quite a fan of the playstyle as opposed to dropping turrets and...dropping turrets.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    If anyone else is on PS4 I needs me some co-op peoples. I think my sign on is Magic_Pink?

edited October 2014
    I've heard multiple things on this, but for Sentries, does Steady Aim activate based on distance from the player or from the sentry?

Edit: Never mind. Looks like I confirmed it's based off the distance from player! Zei's is based off distance from Sentry though, which makes sense.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Ugh, 5 gladiators, 2 st archews, 2 invoker, 1 other monk set gloves, and no sunwukos yet.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Shame that PS4 hasn't got the Kadala improvements yet or the guaranteed Horadric Cache legendaries.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Got my 5th piece of Akkhan's last night. The boots I got are kind of terrible but whatever. Mostly permanent akkurat's is fantastic.

Adda wrote: »
    Shame that PS4 hasn't got the Kadala improvements yet or the guaranteed Horadric Cache legendaries.

What are these exactly?

edited October 2014
    When running T6 bounties, the caches are now guaranteed to drop a legendary (one of the cache-specific ones, a la Ring of Royal Grandeur in Act 1 and Helltrapper in Act 5, etc. - though 99% of the time a Mad Monarch Scepter or Pauldrons of the Skeleton King ;-) ).

Kadala improvements = higher per item cost (25 vs. 5 for standard items like boots, helm) but higher likelihood of a legendary being gambled as well. Overall, a boost in the legendary gamble rate from Kadala.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Wait. Helltrapper is a cache legendary?
    DOHHHHHHHHH

Bless your heart.
    Doh? That's more like WOOHOO, cuz you can farm it by doing Act 5!

Smoogy-1689

• Urban1616Urban1616 VirginiaRegistered User regular
    I ran t6 act 1 bounties I got a legendary but not rorg

The Trail is the thing not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you were traveling for- Louis L'Amor
    5hl5wmsos359.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Right, it's a 1/5 chance to get a ring per cache since there are 5 cache legendaries (RoRG, Pauldrons, Scepter, Gorget, Sanguinary).

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    Yesterday I found my first post-2.1 Eternal Union. It rolled okay, I guess. I have some pretty nice Bowmen gear now, including a 30% Heart Slaughter and an Andariel's with Physical damage and Phalanx damage. Now I just need to wait until the season ends when I can pair all this gear with these adequate Tasker and Theos.

My seasonal crusader is now my top character for elite kills with 14.5k and I'm to the point where the only tangible upgrades are a second unity for solo grifts and a Holy SoJ for group play. I'm about 5k shards into gambling rings, and it is very unrewarding. But hey, at least I'm not trying to gamble a Furnace.

Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    I'm really struggling with soloing with Stampede Crusader. Besides a really crappy rolled Furnace I think I have a-okay gear at this point to run past grift 35 but it's not happening. I end up just going over 30-45 seconds after the timer is done at 35.

Would I have to remove RRoG for Unity/SoJ combo instead? Or just pray to the RNG gods to give me a grift with fatties, skeletons, zombies, and Stonesingers?

I really hate greater rifts.

Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    That eternal union is better than the one I have for my pet build. Got stuck with vit on it, I think the stat I rolled off was armor. Also had a second one drop, but that was even worse, low str roll and I think it had three defensive stats.

Though as I said, I'm shelving my bowmen build until they fix some of the issues with it. I could probably make an incredibly one, if I didn't insist on having permanent Champion, but I'd like to have a build that I can take into grifts and not get destroyed at higher levels by various bullshit scaling elite affixes, that were bullshit without the bullshit scaling.

So I kill Nephalum Rift GUardians to get into Greater Rifts, yes? They drop a stone that gets me in there?

A lot of progressing in later greater rifts is favorable RNG really on mob types and density

And yes, you clear regular rifts and sometimes (100% on T6) the rift guardian will drop a Trial Stone, which you use to get into greater rifts

• FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    Yes - though the Rift Guardian has a chance to drop the stone - It's not guaranteed to drop. But it does seem to be pretty frequent.

Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
    Regular RGs will drop a trial keystone (odds based on torment level - T6 is guaranteed), which you plug into the monument - you then run the trial and it will give you a greater rift keystone based on your performance in the trial (i.e. how many waves you clear before the timer runs out). Then you plug that greater rift fragment in and you're inside a good ol' greater rift.

Smoogy-1689

• SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    Yup, they should drop a trail key. The higher torment level you complete, the higher chance a trail key will drop. At T6 it's pretty much guaranteed the RG will drop the one.

Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    Sneakman wrote: »
    Yesterday I found my first post-2.1 Eternal Union. It rolled okay, I guess. I have some pretty nice Bowmen gear now, including a 30% Heart Slaughter and an Andariel's with Physical damage and Phalanx damage. Now I just need to wait until the season ends when I can pair all this gear with these adequate Tasker and Theos.

My seasonal crusader is now my top character for elite kills with 14.5k and I'm to the point where the only tangible upgrades are a second unity for solo grifts and a Holy SoJ for group play. I'm about 5k shards into gambling rings, and it is very unrewarding. But hey, at least I'm not trying to gamble a Furnace.

Nice Tasker's!

No need to gamble for a furnace, just roll with me long enough until another one drops.

So I only need one Greater Rift Keystone? And that levels up if I do well or do I lose it?

SkyAndPie wrote: »
    Or just pray to the RNG gods to give me a grift with fatties, skeletons, zombies, and Stonesingers?

Bingo.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    So I only need one Greater Rift Keystone? And that levels up if I do well or do I lose it?

Upon completion of a greater rift Urshi will appear. If you've completed the greater rift within the time limit, you have an option to upgrade a gem or upgrade your keystone to a higher level (which scales with how fast you cleared the rift). If you've completed the greater rift but not within the time limit, you only get an option to upgrade gems.

rwextreme wrote: »

Upon completion of a greater rift Urshi will appear. If you've completed the greater rift within the time limit, you have an option to upgrade a gem or upgrade your keystone to a higher level (which scales with how fast you cleared the rift). If you've completed the greater rift but not within the time limit, you only get an option to upgrade gems.

So wouldn't it be a good idea to keep a crap level Grift stone and just level gems easily?

• FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    Once you choose to update gems, the Grift stone is lost/consumed and you have to go find another one. Just try it out - it makes much more sense in practice.

Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
  • TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular

If you complete the rift before the 15 minute time limit, you have two options:

1) Upgrade your legendary gem(s). This gives you 3 attempts to increase the rank of your gems, with the odds of success depending on the difficulty of the Grift and the level of the gem you are upgrading. (100% if the Grift level is 10+ levels above the gem level, decreasing from there). This consumes the Greater Rift Keystone.

2) Upgrade your keystone. This will give you a key for a Grift 1 (or more if you were speedy) level above the one you just completed. This gives you a new Greater Rift Keystone that you can use to open the new Grift.

Now, if you don't finish the Grift before the timer expires, you can still go ahead and kill the rift guardian, but will only be able to do option #1 above.

After it's all said and done you will need to get another Keystone of Trials and start again.

So wouldn't it be a good idea to keep a crap level Grift stone and just level gems easily?

In order to keep upgrading gems you have to progress into higher level greater rifts as the chance to upgrade them depends on the level of greater rift completed compared to the level of the gem. A greater rift 10 levels above the current gem level will be a 100% chance to upgrade, once your greater rift level completed is 7 levels below the gem level there is no chance to upgrade the gem.

using a grift stone to open a rift consumes the stone just like regular rift stones

you gotta beat it in <= 15 minutes to get a new stone, or start from the beginning if you choose to upgrade

btw for console people: link explaining the stone upgrade chances

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I almost finished a 31 grift on my barb but it was a 7 level rift filled with corrupted angels. aka a bunch of bullshit

edited October 2014
    Yes - just go do it. It's very simple to do instead of reading explanations about it.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

Sneakman wrote: »

Nice Tasker's!

No need to gamble for a furnace, just roll with me long enough until another one drops.

It's funny, I found 2 Furnaces before 2.1 launched. One rolled with INT and a socket and I rolled it to STR for my crusader, limiting its full potential now that we have gifts. It's still pretty good, 3500 DPS, 48% elite. I hope one day we get an option to reset enchants so I can use it for my wizard. I found another one that was so completely awful that I salvaged it. Something like 2500 DPS (again, pre 2.1) and no main stat or socket. I would love to find another so I can use my now-growing stock of gifts.

Jars wrote: »
    I almost finished a 31 grift on my barb but it was a 7 level rift filled with corrupted angels. aka a bunch of bullshit

That along with the whole trial process really turns me away from grifts. I gave grifts a pretty good go early on in the season to get the gem's for my DH upgraded to the low 40's. Now I've switched to wizard mostly and have struggled to find the drive to go through more grifts to get my wizards gems upgraded much past the mid 30's. Rolled a seasonal crusader... more gems to upgrade once again. The whole trial process just blows. The keystone given isn't a good representation of what level grift you can complete. I can't even do a trial on my wizard to get a keystone for a grift level which my wizard can complete comfortably, yet alone get a keystone for a level that's at or above my highest completed grift (38 in seasons)... nope, I have to use my DH to do that or get some DH buddies to help. I wouldn't want to be a strict solo player that plays a class where the only way you can get into a higher level grift is by slowly leveling that key up one RNG test at a time.

Yeah I haven't been compelled to GRift at all, which is why my gems are all so low level...

Smoogy-1689

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I just started playing again so Grifts are still kind of fun. Regular rifts are certainly faster to do though since you can just go into them.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Trials are every bit as dumb as I figured they'd be from day one; just put in a wave based mode with loot already instead of this hackneyed bullshit that doesn't just not give you any rewards, but depending on your spec, adds even more to the grift grind.

Like you all lamented you pretty much need a specific setup for them. DHs make them easy, like everything else in the game with marauders. Crusaders aren't bad for them on seasons either. Use Condemn - Vacuum rune, don't even need holy Strongarms although that helps.

Before the changes to spawns that was the only way, other than pure dumb luck, to keep the monsters grouped to get an appropriate level key. Now it's not as bad but I still typically switch to vacuum when doing them to make sure they're as clumped as possible for condemn.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    physical eq owns trials at least. sucks everything up into one nice clump for a 30+ keystone every time

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I just wish there was an easy way to bypass trials and get back to whatever grift level. It sucks especially when you want to retry a high level grift and you want to test a different spec to see if it works, or if the RNG gods have been unkind and you spawn into a triple elite pack of A5 monsters.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    Ok so I finally completed m6 on my DH today (still need RoRG and T&T)

I have a Buriza, but I feel like my Blitzbolter is more effective. I go from 1.5ish aps to 2.16 aps trading Buriza for Blitzbolter, and sheet dps (yeah I know) goes from 865k to 934k

help?

Plug your stats into this and you should be able to figure out which setup is better. The higher APS weapon probably will net you more damage overall because your sentries are going to be able to get off more attacks.

Ok so using this calculator

Buriza: 20,143,949
    Blitzbolter: 19,030,649

Close, but it looks like Buriza is the winner even with the lower aps

Plus I get an extra 10% CDR, so that's good