As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    With a swing of his warhammer, the shadow hammer crushes down on the adjacent ooze.

Geth roll 1d20+5;1d8+3 for Spiritual Weapon Attack vs O3; Spiritual Weapon Damage vs O3

Spiritual Weapon Attack vs O3; Spiritual Weapon Damage vs O3:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

am0n on
  • Options
    He then follows up with a blast of sacred flame, aiming to send the shadow ooze back to where it came from.

@Denada O3 Save vs. Dex DC13
    Geth roll 1d8 for Sacred Flame Damage vs O3

Sacred Flame Damage vs O3:
    1d8 7 [1d8=7]

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    O3 fails its save and is dead now.

O4 is almost dead and since you guys basically can't miss I'm just going to go ahead and call this one done.

The third ooze goes up in a cloud of purple smoke just like the others. A moment later a spell from Jelenneth causes the last ooze to do the same, and soon you're left alone on the bridge, with nothing but a few headless arrows to show for your trouble.

The entrance to the barrow is just ahead.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "Well, that was unpleasant. Shall we press on?"

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath wraps his sling around his hand and sheaths his rapier, looking to the others he remarks, "That was refreshingly not lethal. I am still unhappy with the disppearing smoke creatures though."

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Seamus examines his shield for damage, and stows it along with his weapons. "We still have a ways ahead of us before we're fighting as a seamless unit. Let's get inside this barrow."

• Options
    Lakor pauses the others, "Now hold on one second. I was waiting until we got a bit further, but it makes sense to prepare ourselves now." With a few mumbles, Lakor's warhammer briefly glows and some of his allies feel more hearty. "Okay then, let's press on."

I cast Aid, giving three of my allies (I think it could include me, also, since it just says creatures) +5 Max HP and +5 current HP. Probably best to cast it on Rhyna, Halath and Jelenneth so they are less likely to be brought down by an unfortunate hit?

Also, I can cast Light on stuff if we need a light source.

• Options
    mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    Tal scratches Rhyna behind the ear, reaches into a pouch and produces a treat. As she eats, he slings his bow, and checks for any true damage to his person. Finding nothing substantial, he says, "I agree. Best we press on before we announce our presence any more thoroughly than we already have."

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    "Lakor, feel free to use my shield as our party beacon for Light. I'll be up front to serve as shield to the group, so might as well be the lantern as well."

Seamus keeps his shield strapped on, and will use it as a torch/lantern for the group.

Aside: are we a 100% darkvision party?

• Options
    I have darkvision. I mean, if we all do, there is no need for light, I guess, but I can cast it if we'd rather see in color.

Also, I think I can cast it. It says I can use my Holy Symbol as a spell focus and don't need components, unless there is a specific cost? What does that mean? Light requires "a firefly or phosphorescent moss." Every spell with an M requirement has something specific, but some call out a specific cost, i.e. 250 gp worth of X. I've assumed as long as it's not a "Y amount of gold worth of X" that my Holy Symbol is sufficient. Yay or nay?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    If you have a Component Pouch, Arcane Focus, or Holy Symbol (whatever the class equivalent is), I think you can ignore all Material components that aren't consumed by the spell, carry a noted GP cost, or both.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    That wording is painfully vague but I think by "cost" they mean a money cost. That's how I'm going to rule it anyway.

Light it up.

• Options
    Denada wrote: »
    That wording is painfully vague but I think by "cost" they mean a money cost. That's how I'm going to rule it anyway.

Light it up.

I assumed it was rather clear they mean when it says "A Diamond worth 1000gp" and not just like, coloured sand possibly having a value. But maybe I am like the sole person they wrote these rules for while thinking they were intuitive.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Melding wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »

Light it up.

I assumed it was rather clear they mean when it says "A Diamond worth 1000gp" and not just like, coloured sand possibly having a value. But maybe I am like the sole person they wrote these rules for while thinking they were intuitive.

I don't want to go too into it here, but for me it would be much clearer to word it this way:

"Some spells require material components. You can use a spell focus or component pouch instead of the listed components, unless the listed components have a specified monetary value or are consumed as part of the casting. You must have a free hand to cast spells that require material components, and this can be the same free hand that you use for somatic components."

That's three paragraphs down to one paragraph, and I think it's a paragraph that's easier to understand. After a few readings I get what they're trying to say, but to me the writing just seems sloppy.

Denada on
  • Options
    yeah fair enough. Like i said, I am willing to bet i am in the minority.

• Options
    "I can scout ahead a little if you'd like."

• Options
    "That might be a good idea. You're the one who has been here before, you know the layout better. We might want to decide a marching order anyway."

• Options
    "I am always happy to take point."

• Options
    "Then let us be off," Lakor says, a small gesture making Seamus' shield begin to glow.

I cast Magic Missile at the darkness Light on Seamus' shield.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Drawing his bow and nocking and arrow, Halath quietly heads down into the barrows.

Geth roll 1d20+6 for Stealth
    *sadness...

Stealth:
    1d20+6 11 [1d20=5]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Halath, the first thing you notice once you've descended the steps into the barrow is the smell. It's a pungent, earthy smell that seems to get stronger the farther in you go. Give me a Nature check. Otherwise, this first main hallway looks pretty much the same as it did before, and you don't see or hear any kobolds, wolves, oozes, or goblins. How far in are you going to go before waiting for the rest of the party to catch up?

Everyone else, Halath descends quietly into the barrow, trusting his keen elven eyes and light elven feet to make him a good elven scout. How long are you going to wait before you head in after him?

• Options
    Halath descends to the bottom on the steps and waits for the others to start down. Once they are moving, he will slowly continue onward.

Geth roll 1d20+0 for Nature

Nature:
    1d20+0 12 [1d20=12]

• Options
    After a moment you finally place the smell: livestock. It smells like cattle on a hot day.

• Options
    Halath thinks to himself that this place just gets weirder and weirder the longer we stay here.

• Options
    Cow Pies for everyone!

Lakor follows down the stairs, bringing up the rear.

• Options
    "This doesn't sit right with me. Let's go save the elf from whatever trouble he's gotten himself in."

• Options
    Tal and Rhyna follow closely behind.

• Options
    Alright, I'm going to assume you proceed down to the lower levels of the barrow, since nothing much is going to happen otherwise.

Shortly after discussing the barrow's bizarre bovine bouquet, you brace yourselves to brave the levels below. Eventually you reach the large hall that preceded the basilisk's chamber, but something is very different. Instead of rows upon rows of pillars, you're facing a wall. The wall is about 10 feet in front of you, and there's another wall 10 feet to the east. The hallway created by this wall extends about 20 feet to the west before turning north. Other than the light from Seamus's shield, it is completely dark in here.

maze01.jpg

• Options
    "Hmm, the light gives us away if we move forward to look, but I wonder if we can hear if anything's nearby."

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Perception (just listening though)

Perception (just listening though):
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]

• Options
    Halath nods to Seamus and whispers, "Let me peek around the corner."

Move up to the corner and take a peek.
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Sneaky peeking

Sneaky peeking:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]

• Options
    Halath, you are one with the darkness as you creep forward to see what you can see. You don't see any monsters lurking around the corner, but you do see a lot more corners.

I'll give you some extra map for that crit.
    maze02.jpg

• Options
    "Hmm, coast is clear then?" Seamus take a cue from the Elf's scouting and presses ahead.

Move 3 spaces right, then 2 up.

• Options
    Seamus sees walls. Nothing attacks him and he can't hear anything moving.

• Options
    Halath will continue moving forward quietly, keeping an eye out for anything.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

• Options
    Why does actively using perception seem so much worse than passively using it?

• Options
    Other folks in the party: do you want to hang back and let Halath and I scout, or should we move as a group?

• Options
  • Options
    you can scout ahead i am not trained in the sneaking

• Options
    I agree. Scout ahead.