As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Season 1 in progress. Dare you enter this RNG realm?

1939495969799»

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I just wish there was an easy way to bypass trials and get back to whatever grift level. It sucks especially when you want to retry a high level grift and you want to test a different spec to see if it works, or if the RNG gods have been unkind and you spawn into a triple elite pack of A5 monsters.

No, you don't understand.

You must PROVE THAT YOU ARE WORTHY.

We don't want people being "carried" into high-level Grifts.

The Trial system prevents that from happening, you see.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I love doing a T6 rift, getting 0 legendaries, then following that up by gambling 200 shards and get 7 yellows and a blue.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, another reason why I look forward to season end. Assuming that Blizz doesn't nerf anything, at the very least, I can use my Condemn build to farm high lvl grift keys out of shitty trials (just need to get the wreath gem up to 25 minimum). Also I have 402 paragon lvls non-season, I think season might give me a minimum of 10 more, so that should leave my Condemn sader in great shape for such things.

Also hoping that S2 will give us some more legendary items that interact with gold. I figure since they've made them useless for grifts, that opens up the option to have something that give some dps. Ideally, what I would love to see is something that gives a damage boost, another that lowers CDs, another that gives resources and possible something that causes mobs to drop gold if they eat certain CCs. Slots that currently don't have a direct interaction with gold that I can think of are boots, shoulders, pants, weapons, offhands and helm. Not sure one is really need for helm, since Leoric's Crown could be grabbed and have emerald socketed into for more gold find. Also think there is still a slot ring side that could be filled, though I do think there is a ring that has interaction with gold find. Anyways, here's my gold gear barb with physical skills (runs whirlwind). Can do T2, maybe can go higher, I know it's not going to do that great higher up. Also wondering what would be good gems options for the build (already have boon of the hoarder, think BotT would be another solid option. Maybe wreath, BotP or pain enhancer as the third option. Not sure). I haven't don much in the way of optimization (could get him much better gems and enchanting could do something for some of the gear). Definitely at the bottom of the list for a Leoric's crown, but that is something I want to grab unless Blizz adds in another legendary affix on an existing or new helm that works with gold.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I keep finding helmets with better stats than my Sunwuko's crown, but I really don't want to give up the set bonus.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    meanwhile I'm quite sure I simply can't do a 32 grift unless I get an extremely forgiving one

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I keep finding helmets with better stats than my Sunwuko's crown, but I really don't want to give up the set bonus.

That bonus is literally 50%+ of your dps, don't.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

Oh, I know. It's just making me wish I had a better Sunwuko's Crown.

I've found two different Sunwuko amulets, both being huge damage downgrades. At least Ring of Royal Grandeur means I can use something different in one slot.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I've gotten to the point on my Wizard where literally the only real upgrade for me would be a Furnace. And an Immunity Amulet, I guess, but that's not as big as a Furnace would be. I have a pretty decent Maximus in the meanwhile (3425 DPS, +1410-1718 weapon damage, 20% Fire damage, 1057 Int, Socket) but I really can't go beyond 34 until I get a Furnace, I think.

I finally got a really good Fire SoJ a while ago, so I have that and Unity going for me. I have a great pair of Strongarms. I have a decent-but-not-great Witching Hour (32% CHD with the IAS rolled to 15% life). My Chest, Legs, and Boots are all solid. My Shoulders and Gloves could be rolled for some better stats but otherwise they're fine. Using a Blackthorne's Amulet simply cause it has decent stats. So yeah, really the only things I need at this point are a Furnace and Immunity Amulet.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    I've gotten to the point on my Wizard where literally the only real upgrade for me would be a Furnace. And an Immunity Amulet, I guess, but that's not as big as a Furnace would be. I have a pretty decent Maximus in the meanwhile (3425 DPS, +1410-1718 weapon damage, 20% Fire damage, 1057 Int, Socket) but I really can't go beyond 34 until I get a Furnace, I think.

I finally got a really good Fire SoJ a while ago, so I have that and Unity going for me. I have a great pair of Strongarms. I have a decent-but-not-great Witching Hour (32% CHD with the IAS rolled to 15% life). My Chest, Legs, and Boots are all solid. My Shoulders and Gloves could be rolled for some better stats but otherwise they're fine. Using a Blackthorne's Amulet simply cause it has decent stats. So yeah, really the only things I need at this point are a Furnace and Immunity Amulet.

Until I got my furnace, I found a decently rolled Sunkeeper to be better overall than the Maximus was and I had a very well rolled Maximus that I used a gift on since they seem to drop often for me on seasons. Might be something to consider, and since you're running with a 1h it opens up the option of using an Aether Walker (assuming you're on seasons, or get one after they become available to career mode) for very mobile and fast T6 rift farming. I knocked down a 37 grift with Sunkeeper so it's doable in the higher level grifts without a Furnace.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

Oh, I know. It's just making me wish I had a better Sunwuko's Crown.

I've found two different Sunwuko amulets, both being huge damage downgrades. At least Ring of Royal Grandeur means I can use something different in one slot.

Ah right, I getcha. It sucks that amulets are so expensive at Kadala, between that and hellfires it seems like Blizz really want you to struggle with that slot (so of course it's needed for monk). I can't really complain though, I've been really lucky with those slots.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I rolled my first hellfire today

it was predictably terrible

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Hey guys...

anybody want to take the mantle of making a new thread since we're about to hit 100 pages?

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Is that one of the seasonal legendaries?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    how long are the seasons meant to last, anyway?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Is what one of the seasonal legendaries?
    how long are the seasons meant to last, anyway?
    No one knows. Basically a few months is as specific as they said. The only truly specific detail given is season one will likely be slightly to somewhat longer than the other seasons since it's the first and they want to see what works and what doesn't; what they like and don't like.

Modz and Mannercookie (two of the biggest d3 streamers by a large margin) both say it will end in mid-ish December based on what people who told them correct things in the past have said. That lines up pretty well with the few month timeline as well.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Estimated 2-3 months, and Season 1 will be longer than average.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    edited October 2014
    Column wrote: »
    HooverFan wrote: »
    the mantle of [making a new thread since we're about to hit 100 pages?]
    JOKES

Joolander on
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    the mantle of [making a new thread since we're about to hit 100 pages?]
    JOKES
    I'm making a whoosh noise and moving my hand over my head. I totally missed that.

That's ok. It was a pretty bad joke

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I did my first Grift last night and got my first Legendary Gem! It was pretty useless tho, just a 20% damage bonus for 5 seconds after I kill an elite pack. Silly gem, I need that bonus FOR the pack, not after!

And my WD is up to Torment 1!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I did my first Grift last night and got my first Legendary Gem! It was pretty useless tho, just a 20% damage bonus for 5 seconds after I kill an elite pack. Silly gem, I need that bonus FOR the pack, not after!

bane of the powerful is pretty good at lower gear levels, especially in grifts. once you kill an elite pack the buff will generally stay up by the time you encounter another pack. the only downside of the 20% damage buff is it is only additive with your own class buffs and not multiplicative so the stronger you get the less of a benefit it gives. but its a good starter gem.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah honestly

thats like the best gem

edit: well, I should say "one of the best"

Al_wat on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Hey guys...

anybody want to take the mantle of making a new thread since we're about to hit 100 pages?

Sure I can make it again, I just couldn't make it this last time

Let me gather up the good patch info and I'll get a new one up

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    my only problem with trial rifts is that it's kinda easy to unlock a higher level grift than you can actually handle

obviously you can just stop killing things whenever you want, but it seems silly that it's so necessary

NREqxl5.jpg
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Bane of the Powerful is one of the best gems...because after you rank it up and then you kill your first pack, it should be a constant buff unless you get really unlucky with elite density. It should start at 30 seconds and go from there, not 5 seconds, unless the console version is seriously gimped.
    my only problem with trial rifts is that it's kinda easy to unlock a higher level grift than you can actually handle

obviously you can just stop killing things whenever you want, but it seems silly that it's so necessary

Or, the problem is you can't unlock a high-enough level grift. Trials depend very much on your class/build and doing well in the trials does not equate with how you'll perform in the GRifts. That's the main issue.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

the problems wizards have with trials is the timer is super counter intuitive to the firebird dot and how they kill things in later grifts, basically have to use an entirely different build and even then its still lackluster than just using a m6 dh to do it for you

Smoogy wrote: »

Bane of the Powerful is one of the best gems...because after you rank it up and then you kill your first pack, it should be a constant buff unless you get really unlucky with elite density. It should start at 30 seconds and go from there, not 5 seconds, unless the console version is seriously gimped.

It may be good but it's boring and not pretty so screw it I says.

But yeah I'm 90% sure it wasn't 30 seconds. If it was I probably would have kept it; the duration was REALLY low. But I may level it up anyway; my Grift was lvl 10 and I think it took me 11 minutes to finish so leveling my Grift probably isn't a good idea right now.

Can you only level gems in your inventory or can they be in your stash too? I know I can't use gems from my stash at the gemcrafter on the console version which blows immensely

you probably want to keep the gems in your inventory because when they aren't in your inventory or on your character they'll drop again until you have all 13 (and the 14th is from defeating greed in the goblin portal realm, boon of the hoarder)

You can stash them and still level them, which also still prevents redundant gem drops

Noggin wrote: »
    You can stash them and still level them, which also still prevents redundant gem drops

On the PS4 version? Or PC? Because I think they work differently in regards to stash/inventory on a lot of things.

PC. Sorry, I don't know how the console version handles it

Noggin wrote: »
    PC. Sorry, I don't know how the console version handles it

Crap. Guess I'll have to test it.

• rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    It may be good but it's boring and not pretty so screw it I says.

But yeah I'm 90% sure it wasn't 30 seconds. If it was I probably would have kept it; the duration was REALLY low. But I may level it up anyway; my Grift was lvl 10 and I think it took me 11 minutes to finish so leveling my Grift probably isn't a good idea right now.

Can you only level gems in your inventory or can they be in your stash too? I know I can't use gems from my stash at the gemcrafter on the console version which blows immensely

Bane of the Powerful also provides a constant 15% elite damage once it's leveled to rank 25 as well. Bane of the Powerful and Bane of the Trapped are the two most commonly used legendary gems in the game. But yea, it's definitely good to have because eventually you'll find yourself geared well enough that higher grift levels will come easier and as you level the gem up the duration will increase to the point where that 20% damage buff is practically always up after you kill the first elite pack.