As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Life is Feudal] Medieval themed Sandbox MMO *Alpha on Steam now*

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I'm pretty busy this week, but I could probably go give them a similar treatment to what I did on our old server. I live in Hawaii so my time zone works in my favor for late night shennanigans on empty camps =P

I'd say you guys should probably make sure your own camp is pretty secure before messing with theirs though, because they will retaliate worse I'm sure.

If you just want extra people to help actually fight, and not to mess up their things, I can see if anyone from my group wants to get into that. Do you guys have swords and such?

Are these shady admins too? because that totally sucks if so.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I'm pretty busy this week, but I could probably go give them a similar treatment to what I did on our old server. I live in Hawaii so my time zone works in my favor for late night shennanigans on empty camps =P

I'd say you guys should probably make sure your own camp is pretty secure before messing with theirs though, because they will retaliate worse I'm sure.

If you just want extra people to help actually fight, and not to mess up their things, I can see if anyone from my group wants to get into that. Do you guys have swords and such?

Are these shady admins too? because that totally sucks if so.

Leather only started working like a day ago, so no swords. They're still running around with pitchforks. We just need to buckle down for about an hour today and we'll have our gate up and be pretty much safe from them. There's easier targets than us once that gate goes up. Then we get Xbows on everybody and go shoot them in their faces.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I want to go Shooty McFace on all those guys. Also, find that guy that shits all over global chat and stuff his face with a mace.

m!ttens wrote: »
    I want to go Shooty McFace on all those guys. Also, find that guy that shits all over global chat and stuff his face with a mace.

Flux. Flux flux flux flux. Then we can deal with other things.

• XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Will we be able to process the flux in our forge with them harassing every 30min?

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
    I have a forge elsewhere nearly set up, I just stopped because it is tedious as fuck with moving mats around between characters

Do xbows actually work?

As to the sword thing, yeah that's the thing that pretty much proved those guys on our old server were doing something funky is they not only had swords before leather was working properly but one of their guys must have had the combat skills all maxed out too, because he was outrunning naked folk while in full armor. I'm pretty sure he was just one of the admins and decided to trick out one of his characters so he could fulfill his king fetish or something (he ran around telling everyone to give him tribute or die).

Metal axes actually make decent weapons, they hit a little bit softer than a pitchfork pierce attack (which is hard to pull off reliably), but they hit for more than the pitchfork swings. So they're basically easier to use I think, and do a better average damage.

• SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    I haven't seen a single server where the group with the highest tier stuff hasn't got the mod(s) in it. Between that and griefing by placing items underground i'm losing patience quickly.

I mean my group had a good thing going with a fair chance of getting a house up and running but after a relog all the stuff in our village that wasn't bolted down had disappeared.

Also I was told last night that timed actions like crops and tanning reset on server restarts, so things that should only take an hour keep getting reset when the server lasts no more than half an hour before crapping out.

So after some thought, I decided to abandon that server to the dude-bros. the unfortunate thing is that groups like that poison the player base and ruin the potential of the game.

I understand that it is in alpha, and that the devs want to shore up the crashing and memory leaks before worrying about exploits with the current state of the game. It is just supremely frustrating to have hours of constructive teamwork trampled by rampaging prepubescent chimps.

That being said, I have found what I believe to be a mature/ secure server. They are an RP group, but they don't expect other groups to be anything but respectful. We can even work towards a seat at the table in their politics.

The server itself is locked, and most of the time has active admins. They have strict policies against using the game defects to grief, and hold groups as a whole responsible for the actions of their members. There is also rarely, if any global chat (the game is 10x more immersive when you don't have hate spam blasting a channel).

I put a nomination in for us to play and we are accepted. I took the liberty of naming us the Arcadian Order ;).

If you guys aren't completely soured by our recent battle versus the splatter punks, I would like us to start over. Anyone interested?

I'm sorry that stuff happened to you guys too, again you're welcome on our server but it is still not really populated (just a few strangers so far) and I think it's highly likely we'll probably shut it down after the first month.

We got pretty burnt out on the whole deal ourselves, and with no one really joining this server there's not a lot of incentive to play because I don't want to end up like those guys who are way ahead of everyone else. Also, it's like the third time we've started over so I think we're kinda just bored already.

The game's got potential, and it's fun and even relaxing at times but like XOCentric says, it just sucks to have all your work completely ruined, mainly if it's by unfair means. I feel like they need to do a bit more balancing between the gaps in this game. Pitchfork vs primitive tools is like OP mode, then swords vs pitchfork tier is pretty much the same again. While I think it's good that you can't really just go on a murdering rampage straight from the start, I think they do need a way for everyone to be able to defend themselves, and have player skill factor in more. I'm sure they'll get there.

I think it was a mistake giving admins the powers they have to spawn items and set skills etc, but I guess it was promised early on from what I was reading and people wanted it for creating events etc. I dunno, I suppose the mmo will solve that issue, but that's a long way off.

• SpardisSpardis Registered User new member
    If people have some room in their group I'd love to get in on some of this action!

edited October 2014
    From the sounds of it there's people spread across numerous servers now. Whereabouts are you (timezone wise)?

Update: the server crashes are still pretty frequent. Somewhere between 45 mins to as little as 25 mins during peak hours (9pm last night). Starting to see alot of structures being built, as anywhere Flux appears to be the major bottleneck for the non admin groups.

Skunty on
  • Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Myself, XO, and our friend have moved to a private server. Its a private server but its much much better than life on a public server. We have a prime village location and things are coming long smoothly. We already have iron works up and producing chainmail. The server even has currency. The downside is there are only 3 of us. Anyone interested?

Ra's Al Pearce on
  • SpardisSpardis Registered User new member
    Skunty wrote: »
    From the sounds of it there's people spread across numerous servers now. Whereabouts are you (timezone wise)?
    GMT-5:00

Myself, XO, and our friend have moved to a private server. Its a private server but its much much better than life on a public server. We have a prime village location and things are coming long smoothly. We already have iron works up and producing chainmail. The server even has currency. The downside is there are only 3 of us. Anyone interested?

I'd Love to join! Do I need to register with this server or something? From my experience on DayZ, private/whitelisted servers normally are a better time.

I just don't have the energy or patience to go to yet another website, sign up, submit an application, yadda yadda. Maybe I'm just not 'dedicated' enough or whatever, but eh (Which is kinda funny since I spent hours flattening the land to build our walls). That's the long and short of it, for me.

The game asks enough of you as is, without someone else piling more reqs on top of that.

edited October 2014
    Kind of in the same boat. @Mvrck‌ mentioned getting a dedicated server up so I may wait until that happens.

m!ttens on
    edited October 2014
    Plaster House get, that's four structures now as well as handy little farm starting to emerge. We're down a couple of players now tho which will slow us down for the forseeable.

/edit
    Server DB corrupted, all progress lost, full reset. :neutral_face:

Skunty on
    That sucks =/
    A game like this really needs stability/persistence, which the current server structure doesn't really provide much confidence for. Hopefully some good communities emerge to provide that sort of experience, or they add more official servers, otherwise I guess it'll be up to the actual mmo version.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Hngh. Steam knows me too well and this popped up in my "discovery queue". Why yes, Steam, I would like to play this game some time, but if we're still at the point where I'm going to be losing all my progress every couple of days then frankly I'm not interested. But rest assured, I will be getting this at some point.

@Mr Ray
    Losing progress shouldn't be that common, if it wasn't for the mods on my server falling out I'd be happily expanding on the progress I'd made, the other thing turning people off is the ease of greifing which will only continue until some bugs are fixed (the main one of which should be resolved 'imminently' according to the devs).
    I'm not even angry because I was only learning the game mechanics anyway, there is still a lot of things I'd still like to experiment with at the moment involving earthworks and most people I've met in game have an overwhelming desire to 'build, build, build' with little other regards. Sprinting through the tech tree generally results in painting a target on your camp for everyone else in the server.

@Skunty: It appears they added a min/max to the ability to place objects. So no more log-hopping walls!

We're still plugging away on our new server, and certain people here can PM me for the details if they want to join us.

Yeah i saw the change log on the LiF site, I guess it will depend on how far that max distance is set as to whether or not it fixes the two biggest item placement issues but at least you won't get back to your camp and find everything suspended 70 feet in the air anymore.

edited October 2014
    You also can't sink items on people, so they fixed two griefer hobbies in one go.

**EDIT** Server stability is greatly increased! I've been on without a server crash for hours. Gentlemen, we are on our way.

XOCentric on
    Where's everyone setting up shop these days? After a week or so vacation from this (and honestly, pretty much all video games in general) I'm in the mood for some Medieval Villager Simulator 1066.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Where's everyone setting up shop these days? After a week or so vacation from this (and honestly, pretty much all video games in general) I'm in the mood for some Medieval Villager Simulator 1066.

Did you mean server or location? If it's server I'll show you later. If it's location, just head west along the lower end of the map until you hit the massively deforested area. :P

So now that we have a secured compound, are there any projects that we should be undertaking?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Do we have a server we're all playing on?

I just got this today, finally, and I must cover myself in dirt as I burrow.

So now that we have a secured compound, are there any projects that we should be undertaking?

Wall in our claimed area! It will only take about a year of work.

You're not wrong there, we decided to build some kind of fortification on top of a nearby hill and hauling dirt up and levelling the top off is proving to be a long process.

Speaking of fortifications... last night Arcadia was invaded by some bandits, and we're pretty sure they got in the camp either via an exploit or by hopping the wall near our earthen escape ramp. To the fellows trying to clean up the mess last night: did you fix the area to prevent future breaches?

Also, we should all pick up skills in a ranged weapon of some type so we can drive off invaders in the future. Fun fact: a crossbow bolt to an unarmored head will pretty much guarantee a kill. Don't ask how I learned this :D

edited October 2014
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Yep, we play on a private RP server, for a few reasons. We were tired of dealing with griefing, pubbie-kid a-holes. Because any project in this game represents hours of real time work. It is extremely satisfying to build even a shitty little house.

If you don't get on a server with active and fair admins, you're gonna have a bad day. If you need the server info, PM me with your steam name and I'll fire you the process on how to get onto the server.

@m!ttens: The wall hop problem was solved. If we find guys in our camp again, I would seriously question the legitimacy of them not using either of the well known exploits to get over walls. I would even ask them to show us how they got in, to prove they did it legit. Also, if you have seen our new project, wall hopping will be a moot point.

We are also going to set up a new sub-camp for Arcadian aspirants to live NEAR us but not WITH us. It will be accomplished by an airlock system of gates that they can drop trade items in, in exchange for finished goods from us. At no time will our main camp be open to the outside world after the new double-wall goes up ;).

@everyone-else: Get this damn game if you like old pre-trammel UO, minecraft style crafting on steroids, sword fights, knights, farming, shenanigans, or fun. BUT, be prepared to watch hours fly by doing simple shit like pruning, felling, uprooting, sawing, piling, and re-planting trees etc. Anything in this game takes time and a group effort.

XOCentric on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm just concerned that as an Australian, that nobody will actually be online when I want to play, or my ping will be atrocious which probably won't play nicely with the "physics-based combat".

I logged on briefly last night (and got eaten by a wolf that spawned inside our camp!) And noticed that all our crops were gone. Was this just that somebody harvested them or were we robbed again?

I logged on briefly last night (and got eaten by a wolf that spawned inside our camp!) And noticed that all our crops were gone. Was this just that somebody harvested them or were we robbed again?

Crops have a life cycle that begins when you plant. There is a window to harvest when they mature. If you don't harvest in that window they rot and disappear. This leaves nothing but a plowed plot.

This is a planned feature and not a bug. The problem is that on accelerated servers like ours, the window becomes smaller because it is tied to the multiplier from what I understand.

What this means for us and our crops is that we have to be vigilant in their rotation or risk losing the entire plot.

XOCentric wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Yep, we play on a private RP server, for a few reasons. We were tired of dealing with griefing, pubbie-kid a-holes. Because any project in this game represents hours of real time work. It is extremely satisfying to build even a shitty little house.

If you don't get on a server with active and fair admins, you're gonna have a bad day. If you need the server info, PM me with your steam name and I'll fire you the process on how to get onto the server.

@XOCentric‌ I have sent the PM with my steam name to enable the diggydiggy of holes.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so this is where @m!ttens and @Mvrck went. I got the game, and am learning the ropes, but I'm gonna be gone for a couple weeks for work.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited October 2014
    I have put a pouch on the ground infront of my chicken coop, so all the shit I get from the coop will go into that for whoever needs my chickens shit.

edit
    Holy shitnickers chickens die of old age in less than a day? That's..thats gonna make the animal lore grind even more miserable.

Buttcleft on
    The whole animal lore thing is a pain in the ass and one of the bottle necks that I feel should be reworked.

I think everything should have an even steady difficulty to it, and farming/procuration or whatever is needed for both rope and leather need a slight tweak, because it's really silly that it's easier to do something like make steel than make a rope.

It's not that bad once you figure out the nuances and focus on it, but it's something I've seen every group (including my own) get sorta stuck on, after goofing around with everything else.

edited October 2014
    So, we broke foundation on our keep location tonight. It's probably about 1/7th of the way terraformed now if we go for the full 50x50 plot (though I recommend shrinking it to 40x40 to avoid some of the nastier bits of hill). Though that estimate may be low depending on how much earth we have to move in the terracing efforts.

Spoiled for Large:
    jVzWdRx.png

Mvrck on
    We might be better to go 20x 50, now that I've had a look at the terrain. Cutting the top off that hill may take a long, long time.