As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lets Kill Some Kerbals

18910111214»

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    HNLEiKS.png

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Wow, that is dark.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Woops. It made me laugh.

Woops. It made me laugh.

You have to imagine me sort of laugh-saying, "wow, that is dark"

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Jeb was just one day from retirement

• SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I get the sense that the person who wrote that report isn't a fan of KSP. Mostly from the "he was so bored" comment.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    puaFoLI.png

OH MY GOD THEY MADE GENE KRANZ INTO A KERMAN

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    If you haven't tried it yet, the new patch is quite enjoyable.

I don't know if maybe I'm just building things better, but I've noticed launch stability is greatly improved and wings seem to have a much greater effect in controlling stability of rockets

but the missions have had me do things I would ordinarily not do, like rescue a free floating kerbal from orbit (which is quite hard), or test out obscure vehicle components

I even created a space plane, launched it, and landed it. on a runway. with all the pieces still attached.

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    I'm actually loving the new test missions. They've gotten me further along the science tree than I was ever able to to reach in the old career mode. But some are definitely a bit absurd.

"Test an LFB KR-1x2 in orbit around Kerbin."

Would have been much easier had I known you can use the booster, turn it off, move it up the staging tree and then test it in orbit. Dragging that son a bitch all the way up there was a pain.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    yeah some of the SRB tests are pretty tough to meet, or at least require designing a pretty crazy rocket you might not ordinarily design.

For example, I have one to test the entry level SRB at 75km... I've never gotten solid rockets that high before. I'd love to see what a launcher looks like that can.

Typically my SRB setup craps out around 30km and I'm on liquid for the rest of the trip

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    I had fun with that one. A couple liquid fuel tanks and the LV-T45, several small boosters near the bottom, two girders mounted on either side about halfway up and boosters mounted to those (so the engines face out at 90 degrees from the craft). Let the SRB/liquid push me straight up to 75k, killed it and fired the second set of boosters once I'd slowed down. Thing spun like a top all the way down.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    got a mission to go to plant a flag on the mun

went to the mun, landed on the mun, left the mun

100km over Kerbin, realize i forgot the damn flag -- ffffffffffffffffffff

note: doing launches *without* a mission goal can actually be quite costly. it forces you to either build cheap or focus on contract goals, which isn't terrible since contracts give you plenty of options

I have about 500k currency and a manned interplanetary vehicle is costing around 70k

I've been having a blast with this new patch.

My one gripe is that I wish there was a notification for new missions appearing. You can switch back to mission control and check for them. I did not know this until I had landed on the mun, returned home, and then found a mission to plant a flag there.

edited July 2014
    last night I made my first ever successful lunar lander/docking module. So now I can have a very Apollo-esque command module and launch vehicle, and then detach a lunar lander with a crew, hit the surface, do my science, and then dock in orbit. It worked.

Of course, to get the fucker into space it takes 120k worth of parts, but hey, LANDER!

I also made a space plane capable of orbit. But I haven't thought of a valid use for it yet.

Jasconius on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So as usual I start up KSP after three or four months of not playing it, and discover that "oh there's a new patch out." So despite having no idea what I'm doing, I decide to give career mode a whirl. I notice some fancy new interfaces and notice that I have this 'contract' tab. I don't see any contracts on the tab, so I decide to just do a simple test launch to re-familiarize myself with the controls using your standard SRB. Halfway through the mission, I get the bright idea to try and get some extra science by doing some EVAs in the air, despite knowing how risky that is. Needless to say, the moment I got out Jebediah was thrown from the craft and flew over fifty meters away. Desperate to save him, I turned on his jetpack and tried to use it to nudge him close enough to the hatch to grab it. Although very sluggish, the jetpack did manage to alter his momentum and after two tries Jeb got back on board.
    5646032FFC8579F02780F360494C03354004091F
    As nobody died, it was deemed an unprecedented success. (And Jeb managed to get that EVA report as he was hurtling through the atmosphere, it read as: "Wheeeeeeeee!")

So it took another simple test launch before I noticed that the Space Center actually had a new building, and that was where I picked up contracts. So far as the testing contracts go, the only interesting ones so far have been the parachute ones:
    D5B06C65E5935DEFF3E03A0113E5712E4826744E
    Here I messed up by using a SRB instead of a liqued fuel rocket that I could throttle down so I wouldn't overshoot the maximum velocity requirement for parachute testing at altitude. I also took the reach new altitude record and accidentally... overshot... a little:
    7FBE0A8A6A579A1AC47C42946E83D2DE2D440ED6
    Note to self: In the future make sure to take any major contracts that I might accomplish on my next mission, just so I don't lose the chance to do them at all.

So far I've really been liking this version of the game, and maybe the biggest change seems to be my performance is amazing. Normally the game could chug, especially at launches, but so far I've seen almost no lag or dropped frames since I started playing this career campaign.

Gundi on
    Good news: you can switch back to the space center during flight and pick up new contracts.

http://youtu.be/ycFiYuIpev4

Hey I guess they're still developing this game is anyone else still playing it?

yup still playing. played today. looking forward to the space plane update, it will make it cheaper to get the core of a space station set up... serious interplanetary space planes seem likely as well thanks to a lot of larger construction parts (rockmax boosters on planes!)

working on manned mission to Duna... I think the rocket is pretty much designed. Was doing lander testing before logging off but I think that's set too.

edited October 2014
    the patch is out

much easier to get science on demand now.. frankly it kind of invalidates career mode. not well balanced. you can rack up multiple hundreds of science now without even packing a science module

in a way thats good, but perhaps the tech costs need to be rebalanced

Love the new airplane parts but the mounting characteristics are disappointingly buggy, particularly for control surfaces. Also it is unexpectedly difficult to generate lift. I think there may have been a quiet rebalance of lift.

Jasconius on
    Oh son of a bitch.
    http://youtu.be/wd5uVMLGmuA