As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Friday, October 10, 2014 - Bug Hunt

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Friday, October 10, 2014 - Bug Hunt

Bug Hunt

Bug Hunt

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/10/10

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• OtieOtie Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Tycho remains unimpressed. Haha! Cool strip. :biggrin:

Otie on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I wonder if Gabe (the character) has even seen the original, or is basing all of his expectations from the sequel(s) and games.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Weirdly, that was more or less my reaction to seeing the original film.
    I'd heard a lot about it and the film was on TV one night, so I sat down to watch it. There were some good bits, and I could see what people were talking about, but mostly I was just bored.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I hope this strip gets a sequel, wherein Gabe hides under desks and in lockers IRL.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I wonder if Gabe (the character) has even seen the original, or is basing all of his expectations from the sequel(s) and games.

P sure this would just lead to Gabe being bored by the original too.

• roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    I noticed on Reddit that all anyone talks about lately is the framerate of games. It's like...zomg this game doesn't run at 60+ FPS at all times at 1080p? IT'S SHIT. >_>

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Just wait till the bitching about games not running in 4k starts.

What is this I don't even.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    In fairness, the Xbone and PS4 were sold on the promise of higher framerates and 1080p as standard. :P

And while resolution isn't all that important to me (I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080) framerate is. Having played a few great first party games in 60fps, it sucks to go back to the way things were. Doesn't sound like the PS4 version would even benefit from an unlocking patch, since they've prerendered the cutscenes in 30fps. :<

Good comic tho. As a fan who prefers the first movie to the second, this rings so true. I have been Tycho on that couch.

"Why are they going into the ship from Prometheus?"
    "It's actually a different planet, so it's not the same ship"
    "Yeah but don't they know the Engineers are evil?"
    "Nah, cause no one made it off LV-223 to warn anyone else"
    "Yeah but it's the same ship tho?"
    "It's the same type of ship, it's not THE same one"
    "But it looks just like it!"
    "YEAH CAUSE IT'S THE SAME SHUT UP AND WATCH JOHN HURT EAT IT SUPER HARD"

Oh brilliant
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In fairness, the Xbone and PS4 were sold on the promise of higher framerates and 1080p as standard. :P

And while resolution isn't all that important to me (I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080) framerate is. Having played a few great first party games in 60fps, it sucks to go back to the way things were. Doesn't sound like the PS4 version would even benefit from an unlocking patch, since they've prerendered the cutscenes in 30fps. :<

Good comic tho. As a fan who prefers the first movie to the second, this rings so true. I have been Tycho on that couch.

"Why are they going into the ship from Prometheus?"
    "It's actually a different planet, so it's not the same ship"
    "Yeah but don't they know the Engineers are evil?"
    "Nah, cause no one made it off LV-223 to warn anyone else"
    "Yeah but it's the same ship tho?"
    "It's the same type of ship, it's not THE same one"
    "But it looks just like it!"
    "YEAH CAUSE IT'S THE SAME SHUT UP AND WATCH JOHN HURT EAT IT SUPER HARD"

I can fix that:

Someone else: "Something something something Prometheus."
    You: "Did you just say Prometheus? Shut the fuck up."
    <end of conversation>

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    roflstomp wrote: »
    I noticed on Reddit that all anyone talks about lately is the framerate of games. It's like...zomg this game doesn't run at 60+ FPS at all times at 1080p? IT'S SHIT. >_>

People wouldn't shut up about that during the Shadow of Mordor stream too. "What's the Xbone frame rate?! Why are you purposefully concealing the framerate?! The truth of your shameful dealings will come out! You and your jackbooted thugs can't silence us in our noble crusade to DISCOVER THE XBONE FRAMERATE!"

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    i wonder how many gamers could actually survive some kind of framerate blind test thing

where you asked them to actually sit down and play several games (not watch a video, actually play a game), and rate what they thought the average FPS actually was of each game they were playing

i think there's people in the industry who could nail it (professional game critics, for example) but that your average gamer who bitches about this shit would be easily visually fooled by the oddest shit into noticing or not noticing framerate

it's a thing that the majority of people, unless you are a nerd about this shit, only notice on an unconscious level anyway. many, many people notice it (see the reaction to the The Hobbit, for example) but they often cannot elucidate as to why or what it is they are noticing that bothers them or what the "sweet spot" is

and this idea that every game needs to be running at 60 FPS just because it is technically possible is stupid reddit "PC Master Race" garbo

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    New Automata story running Tuesday and Thursday starting October 21. GET HYPE.

Click for OMG HUEG art

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

I am there.

• TazurasTazuras Registered User new member
    It's ssooooooooo preeeettyyyy. Makes me want to read Asimov.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    i wonder how many gamers could actually survive some kind of framerate blind test thing

where you asked them to actually sit down and play several games (not watch a video, actually play a game), and rate what they thought the average FPS actually was of each game they were playing

i think there's people in the industry who could nail it (professional game critics, for example) but that your average gamer who bitches about this shit would be easily visually fooled by the oddest shit into noticing or not noticing framerate

it's a thing that the majority of people, unless you are a nerd about this shit, only notice on an unconscious level anyway. many, many people notice it (see the reaction to the The Hobbit, for example) but they often cannot elucidate as to why or what it is they are noticing that bothers them or what the "sweet spot" is

and this idea that every game needs to be running at 60 FPS just because it is technically possible is stupid reddit "PC Master Race" garbo

Yeah I can't tell 30fps from 60fps or 720 from 1080 to save my life. And honestly I don't really care. I loved games when they were being pumped through composite cables into CRTs, I'll love them when they are crazy holograms or being beamed directly into my brain or whatever.

Click for OMG HUEG art

Hellooooo new desktop background!

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Jerry wrote:
    We’ve been getting back into streaming stuff, or Twitching, or simply twitching while we stream because of the black flakes and other impurities drifting in our house-made toilet liquor. There is an archive of these spasms (presumably for law enforcement use) and if you poke around the one for Alien: Isolation you might hear some of the lines in podcast can.
    Looks like the black flakes are making him do more than just twitch. I think Jerry had a stroke there.
    Or failed to close an anchor tag and chopped out about a third of his paragraph.

forty on
  • ObstreperousObstreperous Registered User regular
    "Alien: Dance Party" should be a game.

• RodjirRodjir Registered User regular
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Frame rate makes a huge difference when aiming in PC first-person shooters

That's all I know

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

"PC Master Race" garbo is actually quite useful; when someone spouts it, it tells me right away that I can completely ignore them because they are irrelevant.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    When most people complain about the framerate of a game, they aren't talking about 30 vs 60, but steady vs hitching and sub-20fps hiccups (stuff anyone with eyes will notice). Both console versions of Alien Isolation have issues with both stalls up to half a second long and framerate dropping into the teens on occasion.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    I'll agree to that. I don't have a problem with a game being 30 or 60 fps, or 45, 50, whatever. I just want the framerate to be steady. I'll take a steady 30 over a 45 to 60 ever-changing framerate. That's what bothers me, along with the hiccups.

• ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Amazing. We advance technology so far, and yet there are people purposefully willing to keep us behind the times. 60 FPS absolutely should be standard. Many games on PC run at something ridiculous like 120-150 FPS on normal video cards. So you're telling me on a standardized platform you can't manage 60 FPS like a typical video card (and they have the choice to adjust the options before sending a game out to make it achieve better framerates)?

30 vs 60 FPS is easily apparent, same for the resolution. Or are you folks going to say you also think DVD = Bluray in quality too? This complacency with subpar really is disappointing. Remember when everyone was actually amazed and loved the new technologies that came out (I'm thinking 90's PCs and game consoles). I think some folks would still be gaming on an Atari because they can't see the difference between 8-bit and 16-bit, let alone any other advances.

Zenigata on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    just because less than 60 is subpar to you doesn't mean it's subpar to everyone.

BTW it's not easily apparent, there's lots of people that objectively can't tell much difference.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Zenigata wrote: »
    Amazing. We advance technology so far, and yet there are people purposefully willing to keep us behind the times. 60 FPS absolutely should be standard. Many games on PC run at something ridiculous like 120-150 FPS on normal video cards. So you're telling me on a standardized platform you can't manage 60 FPS like a typical video card (and they have the choice to adjust the options before sending a game out to make it achieve better framerates)?

30 vs 60 FPS is easily apparent, same for the resolution. Or are you folks going to say you also think DVD = Bluray in quality too? This complacency with subpar really is disappointing. Remember when everyone was actually amazed and loved the new technologies that came out (I'm thinking 90's PCs and game consoles). I think some folks would still be gaming on an Atari because they can't see the difference between 8-bit and 16-bit, let alone any other advances.

this sure is a

viewpoint

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    it really depends on the type of game

30fps is fine for many

A first person horror game like alien isolation really should be 60fps imo though
    just because less than 60 is subpar to you doesn't mean it's subpar to everyone.

BTW it's not easily apparent, there's lots of people that objectively can't tell much difference.

really?

that's weird to me

override367 on
    edited October 2014

this sure is a

viewpoint

I like the implied idea that because technologies have advanced to a point beyond what USED to the the newest technology, then what used to be the newest technology now sucks and every gaming experience with it is invalidated and should be shunned from this point on.

Furthermore, Atari isn't 8-bit and the difference between 30 and 60 fps is not even remotely similar to the difference between Atari and SNES. Or Atari and NES. Or NES and SNES.

As for that 30v60 website, I could definitely see a difference at some points in the video, especially the explosions, but after a few seconds my eyes seemed to have adjusted because the difference seemed less and less apparent, and at some points I was under the impression I was looking at the same thing.

Djiem on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I propose an experiment.
    Take a video of some gameplay, and add a 30 to the top corner.
    Then re-edit it with a 60 in the top corner.

Play them side-by-side, and ask people to choose the 'best' one.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    that link I put in my last post, are you really saying you can't tell the difference?

I guess this is how my audiophile friend feels when i tell him I can't tell the difference between $10 headphones and $1000 headphones

granted, it's a lot less pronounced on my television, because my tv has a slight almost imperceptible input->display delay anyway, also I'm sitting on the other side of the room

override367 on
    edited October 2014
    I can see the difference for the most part, because I am looking for it. Usually, I can tell a 30 fps game experience from a 60 fps one. It's just not the night & day some people would have you believe. 30 fps is perfectly fine. However, if you've got the PC gear to play most games with the highest settings at a steady 60 fps, I can imagine that going back down will be more visible. We all get spoiled by technology when we have it and become used to it.

My problem with the "BUT EVERYTHING SHOULD BE 60 FRAMES BLARGH" crowd is that they talk of anything below 60 fps as if it were unplayable, even though we've played with 30 fps games for years and years, and most TV shows play at that framerate, and so do movies, and everyone seemed happy. I don't recall being miserable playing my Gamecube and going "This is bullshit! I can't be having fun unless I have at least this many pixels and frames and polycounts!"

I'm all for the exploration of technology and betterment of it, but we still make "retro-styled" games, especially indie devs, we play games of all sorts, 2D, 3D, 8-bit styles, crazy nice-looking or just the minimum (when it's a tiny studio and they can't afford AAA dev teams), and we enjoy ourselves. The pursuit of graphical advancement is nice and all, but the quality of a game, and more importantly, a gaming EXPERIENCE (enjoying ourself, having fun, being immersed in a story, competing in a well-balanced game, etc.) does not depend on the graphical prowess of our machine. There's a reason some games are forgotten and some have a timeless quality to them, even as technology advances.

EDIT: Also, if someone ever use the words "peasant", "master", "race" or the expression "objectively better" they instantly lose whatever debate they were arguing in.

Djiem on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

30fps is fine for many

A first person horror game like alien isolation really should be 60fps imo though

really?

that's weird to me

I literally can't tell the difference.

At all.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I think with those comparison engines, a better test would be to only show one of the two clips at random, and decide whether the screen you are currently watching is enjoyable to watch and looks enjoyable to play. That would be a better test than comparing the twp. After all, we've all SEEN 60 fps at some point. So we're not like cavemen who don't know any better. If you watched N64 graphics without comment, you'd probably say it could look a lot better. Not so with 30 fps.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I'm sorry buddy, your competent relevant arguments per second (or CRAPS as those in the biz like to use) is not high enough for us to care.

Amazing

Blake T on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

30fps is fine for many

really?

that's weird to me

I literally can't tell the difference.

At all.

Same here. I tried both examples on that site, and saw nothing to suggest one was better than the other.

So I guess I win? Games are going to look good to me this gen no matter what.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You guys are lucky. :P

A night n' day comparison is DmC from last year - on consoles it ran at 30 and looked like dogbuns. PC it ran at 60 and looked amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCwJ6vHm3s

(missing the full effect, since it's at half speed cuz youtube only does 30fps, but you can still see how much smoother the animation is at 60)

Oh brilliant
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If it's at half speed, isn't that video just a 15 FPS to 30 FPS comparison? Still took me a few seconds (not realising that the bottom of the screen told you which was which didn't help).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I can tell the difference, but that's NOT "night and day". It's barely visible, except in some moments.

The thing that matters though is that the left screen looks perfectly fine.
    Yeah, the right screen sometimes looks slightly better, but we're not comparing shit with steak. We're comparing two pretty tasty steaks.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, I have a confession.

I also can't tell the difference between a dvd and blu-ray.

Maybe it's just that I've always had poor eyesight and glasses, so I just don't scrutinize visual detail that much?

What is this I don't even.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I apparently have amazing tolerance for shitty framerates. Back in the day I used to have a PC without a 3d card (we're talking early days of 3dfx and voodoos) so it was all software rendering on my machine, one of my flat mates walked in on me playing a racing game and couldn't believe how choppy everything was looking to the extent that they called in other flatmates to show how choppy it was.

Looked perfectly smooth to me.

That said, I played Quake on a machine that did 30fps and I played Quake on a machine that did 100 FPS. I know which one gave the better fragging experience and it wasn't the one with a two digit frame rate.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.