As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buy the car or save

2»

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Although it may be a great deal for a car you've always wanted be careful about making too many financial decisions at once.

I'm a car nut - I spent years looking at AutoTrader and dealer websites fantasizing so my first impulse would be go for it. Get the car you want. I spent a little extra and got a car I'd never have imagined being able to own.

BUT timing is everything. You'll find with a lot of things (but ESPECIALLY children, cars and real estate) there is always a cost you forget about.

Children: food, clothes, toys (and you think 'toys aren't necessary' until you have a baby screaming from being bored or that develops slowly because they haven't had to opportunity to practice fine motor skills and logic), car seat, crib, diapers, change table, decorating a room, baby wipes, diaper bag, travel crib for when you go away, etc etc etc

House: moving fees, utilities, furniture, repairs, mortgage payment, cable, internet, phone line, renovations, gas for the lawn mower, etc etc etc

To be sure what money you have available to spend on a car you need to make sure that the rest of your living situation is staying fairly static. If you buy the car now I'd wait a year or so before buying the house or having kids. Settle into a situation so that you can actually understand the costs involved in that situation before you make a commitment that changes that situation.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Who says "toys aren't necessary" for kids?

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Who says "toys aren't necessary" for kids?

I just meant it as an example of how people write off expenses as unnecessary and then realize they actually need it and suddenly haven't budgeted for it

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have a whole big thing about kids and expensive toys and that could go on just forever so let's not go down that rabbit hole and keep this about cars.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Split the difference, buy a toy mustang gt :biggrin:

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Not to beat a dead horse, but getting a new car after less than a year of the previous car is absolutely crazy, regardless of circumstances, unless you are a millionaire. If you're serious about your girlfriend then some day you'll be sharing finances - what would she think of her money being spent that way?

Also if you get the new car jitters so often then you might want to look into leasing. Forget the sports car though, stick with practical cars.