As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buttons & Badges Aus 2014

BekerBeker Child's Play Program DirectorSeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
edited September 2015 in PAX Australia
PAX Prime and East both have a thing called Buttoneering, where people make a bunch of the same button\badge with a picture that represents or is meaningful to them, and then trade with each other over the weekend. You end up with a bunch of different buttons\badges and hopefully having met a bunch of fellow PAXers. I brought a bunch of Beaker buttons\badges with me last year just to hand out and people seemed to really like the idea. I will be bringing a new Aussie themed version of my button again this year, and would love to trade with others and get some of your buttons to bring home.

If we do this, should we stick with the American name Buttoneering, or something new? Badgeneering?

Link for a very fine button tracking site the other PAXes use.
http://buttoneering.org/

Link for PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneering thread for more info on what they did.
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178037/buttoneering-it-is-time#latest

-Beker/Erick
zx6ak2M.png
Beker on

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think the main barrier to entry on this is that the US shows have the very cool PureButtons who do bulk badges, very approachable design process and good quality and options. I was trying to find something similar in Australia for last year and came up empty handed. If we could find a good Australian counterpart to PureButtons in Australia (maybe an opportunity for them to expand operations or do bulk ordering to ship to Aus?) then I can see this being easily feasible.

• Options
    ZedCavalryZedCavalry I swear, I'm not that immature. Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Alright, I'm gonna revive this by saying that I've been looking around, but basically, button makers in Australia are exorbitantly expensive. I did talk to PureButtons to see if they could help us out, but unfortunately, they said that although they can ship internationally, it would cost something like $50 - $75 in shipping alone. Maybe we could do it through one of those postal forwarding services.

With that said, there is a company in Australia called "Button Empire" who do the same job, for an albeit pricier cost. But, it's the cheapest I've seen locally. They will do 50 25mm circular badges for 99 cents each, bringing the cost to just under $50.

I haven't been in contact with these guys, but they might be the alternative this activity is looking for: http://www.buttonempire.com.au/

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Hopefully they will work for you all. I already have mine designed, will be bringing them down, and would love to swap buttons with anyone else at PAX.
    eqwk1zr3dn88.jpg

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    MontablacMontablac Registered User regular
    oh man, this sounds like so much fun

tho sadly i lack creativity and probably wont be able to comeup with a design

a question tho, roughly how big is the pack of say, 50-100 38mm badges?

• Options
    ZedCavalryZedCavalry I swear, I'm not that immature. Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Montablac wrote: »
    oh man, this sounds like so much fun

tho sadly i lack creativity and probably wont be able to comeup with a design

a question tho, roughly how big is the pack of say, 50-100 38mm badges?

What do you mean how big? If you mean the size of each badge, then I made this up in GIMP:

8PwfgA1.png

Alright, turns out this is actually 31mm, so it's a little bit bigger than the image above.

50 of those is $54 and 100 of those is $97.

And in terms of designs, it doesn't need to be something the looks AWESOMESAUCEWTFOMG, but just needs to be something the represents you, or something that you like!

• Options
    rather i meant what kind of bag (in terms of size) would i need to carry around the ones i bring with me?

rough estimates are more than welcome

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    100 pins would about fill a sandwich size ziplock bag. 50 you could fit in a jacket or cargo shorts pocket pretty easily.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    that is... alot smaller than i thought....

guess ill try to comeup with a design and join the fun

• Options
    Depends on the size of the button obviously. I usually get 1.25" buttons.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    This actually sounds pretty awesome... have to see if I'm enforcing again before committing though :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    FernurionFernurion Registered User regular
    This sounds like a great idea. I have a badge design I have whipped up sometime previous that is perfect for this kind of thing. I'd say 50 should about do it, since this is the first year this is happening.

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I like this ! I will participate :D all the indie games had buttons last year they where fun to collect, I heard they all pooled together for a bulk order but im not sure with who...

Nefily on
  • Options
    jreidjreid Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sounds awesome! I'm definitely keen!

• Options
    KwaizyKwaizy PAX AUS Enforcer Manager CanberraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @Jreid I'll try to find some of mine and bring them into the office for you to see this week

Edit - They are the same as my Forum avatar

Kwaizy on
    Say it with flowers, Send a Triffid.
    Sanity is a slippery slope, and I'm wearing Teflon shoes.
  • Options
    Attention: For all those thinking of getting involved, I got into contact with a company called "Button Empire", who may be willing to help us out. They're a local company in Australia who make custom buttons and badges, and they said that they were willing to give a 10% for PAX goers for any orders of 50 badges or over made before the end of June.

It's a discount, and brings the price of 50 38mm badges down to $48.60, or under a dollar a badge. Not too shabby.

If you're interested, these guys sound like a good Australian alternative to PureButtons, so visit them here: http://www.buttonempire.com.au/

• Options
    well that cements it, now i need to get a scarf and a button design

• Options
    Has anyone used Button Empire before?

• Options
    WallStarWallStar The one... the only... the slightly overrated... CannonvaleRegistered User regular
    I'm having a look at this now, it sounds fun!How does it work exactly - Is it literally just " hey, I like you - have my button"? Will there be a tracking site like the Pax Prime one?
    -

• Options
    WallStar wrote: »
    Will there be a tracking site like the Pax Prime one?
    -
    Excellent question for @jonxp. Hopefully we can use the same site.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    BuzzPuppyBuzzPuppy Registered User regular
    I'm in on this :D

• Options
    Not sure how to progress -- is there someone who has done it all before who can point a newbie in the right direction?

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    WallStar wrote: »
    Will there be a tracking site like the Pax Prime one?
    -
    Excellent question for @jonxp. Hopefully we can use the same site.

Hey look at this! http://buttoneering.org/events/pax-australia-2014/buttons

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Woot, Thanks Jon.

@jreid anything specific you want help on? Basically pick\make a design. Then work with someone or somecompany to make the buttons for you. Bring them to PAX and swap them with other people for their badge, or just give them away to cool people you meet. The threads for the other PAXes have tons more information if you are interested.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    @Beker‌ cool; I'll go hunting -- got any Must Read threads?

• Options
    @beker‌ or I could look at the first post again... :P

• Options
    jreid wrote: »
    @beker‌ or I could look at the first post again... :P
    :-)
    In addition to those the PAX Prime thread has grown quite a bit since I originally posted and might be a good resource as well now
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189477/buttoneering-promo-code-get-trading-pins-before-it-was-cool#latest

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Coolness. Just signed up for Buttoneering Myself and put up a design, though it still needs some editing before I order.

Speaking of, has anyone been able to secure a promo code from anywhere?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @Fernurion‌ I looked at the Button Empire site yesterday, even without a code it looks reasonable :)

jreid on
  • Options
    Fernurion wrote: »
    Speaking of, has anyone been able to secure a promo code from anywhere?

Purebuttons offered their code for Prime, which i'm going to use, but that doesn't help you guys. Ultimately someone would need to talk to someone local for you and try to convince them of the potential business to get a discount code.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    @Fernurion‌ you might want to try messaging the button maker I suggest in PPL! She' a Melbourne local, might be able to sort you something out?

Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • Options
    princesskittyprincesskitty Registered User regular
    Hey guys, how many buttons would you order and take with you to swap? And how dose it work?
    I want to promote our gaming team/group thing but not sure how this button thing works...

• Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    As many or as few as you want. If you're using them as promo as well, take extra so you can button trade as well as hand them out to people who just want a cool button. I've done that before. I've given Randy Pitchford one of my dropbear buttons and saw him wearing it at the Gearbox panel later on. Dude likes Australia.

• Options
    Hey guys, how many buttons would you order and take with you to swap? And how dose it work?
    I want to promote our gaming team/group thing but not sure how this button thing works...

If you are just going to trade, 50 is probably plenty. Button trading is still new at Aus and while you guys seem love them, its going to take a bit to catch on. Personally, I like to just give mine away also, so i'll be bringing probably about 200. I expect I'll probably be bringing some home with me. For buttons to promote your group its up to you. Are you going to only hand them to people you meet or play games with? Are you going to introduce yourself to people in lines your in and hand them out? Is it something you will only hand out to people local to you, in which case that will shrink the amount you need as you will meet people from all over Aus and elsewhere.

If you can i'd make the buttons a bit generic, no year or anything, so you can order more than you think you would need and can then use extras at other events or at next years PAX.

Keep in mind PAX prefers you did not advertise a business in person in the hall unless you have a booth. Its kinda unfair to those that paid to be an exhibitor. What you do outside the building in the public area of course is up to you. It doesn't sound like this is a business of yours, but just wanted to be clear. Although if you do have flyers you are welcome to leave them at the Info Booth for people to pick up.

Hope that helps.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    princesskittyprincesskitty Registered User regular
    Ohhhh yes that helps, thanks!!

• Options
    tim@CreoLud.iotim@CreoLud.io MelbourneRegistered User new member
    Has anyone had any luck with square badges?
    I've found some through these guys in Geelong: http://www.gopromotions.com.au/shop/acrylic-badges-60-x-60mm but at a $2.00/badge pricepoint I don't think I can afford to go acrylic!
    I'm looking to make 300 or so and this is my first time badging so I thought I'd ask around for some advice

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Got my badges today, they turned out great. I ordered them through Button Empire and highly recommend them. Fifty badges of these 1-inch badges will set you back $45 +shipping and take about a fortnight to get to you (Though I am in a rural area, so it probably took a bit longer to get here).

Piccy!

Fernurion on
  • Options
    KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    Badges are always fun to bring along to the MMT / boardgaming / whatever event you're going to. The throng of people after PAX trading on spares is pretty fun.

And if we are going with badge over button, then my vote surely has to go to Badgering.

Dominic
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Totally on board with this, getting some appropriately Skeleterrific badges made up by a buddy with a badge maker. Will pop it on the buttoneering site when I get the art finalised! +1 to badgering.

• Options
    NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    I've also ordered from button empire, they are being super quick and i should have my buttons by the end of the week!

I thought it would be fun to tie it into participating in the Omegathon, so please come and support me and grab a button :D

mz8lggvtgctb.png

• Options
    Cookienommer51Cookienommer51 Registered User regular
    I've made a badge design but i can't find anywhere cheap to make them.

Can anybody recommend somewhere?

quvuhm8wzhus.jpg