As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 13, 2014 - Snare Squad

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

Unknown User on

• Options
    CEOIIICEOIII Registered User regular
    .....and THAT'S why I took my entire Skylanders collection to Gamestop for store credit.

....which I then used for Disney Infinity. The Marvel version.

And the new Borderlands, so yeah.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I thought for a second that Gabe was using a two-piece phone, like some kind of iVersion of this:

OldmodRotoCndle.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heh. Traps. :)

As usual, I love seeing the strips where G&T are parents.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How long before Nintendo actually take this as a design idea?
    Pokemon as a Skylanders/Disney Infinity style thing. That's more than 700 different models they could sell, and you know someone out there would actually buy them all.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    klemming wrote: »
    How long before Nintendo actually take this as a design idea?
    Pokemon as a Skylanders/Disney Infinity style thing. That's more than 700 different models they could sell, and you know someone out there would actually buy them all.

Probably in the distant future, if ever, as their dev for the main series games, GameFreak, basically does as they please with mainline Pokemon, and they only really do handheld games. Plus, it'd functionally be competing with the toymakers they've licensed the toy rights to.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Or, you know, 1 month.

amiibo1280-1jpg-2ea269_1280w.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not fond of that Samus or DK amiibo, but daaang the rest are perfect.

I ain't even got a WiiU yet and I'm tempted to grab a few.

It's a little weird they did a different scale/more detailed Peach than Mario tho - same franchise, should be more uniform IMO/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Athenor wrote: »
    Or, you know, 1 month.

amiibo1280-1jpg-2ea269_1280w.jpg

Aren't those just your standard decorative figurines rather than items that contain game data of any sort, though?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just realized those were the Amiibo things.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    No, they contain game data and connect to the 3DS and WiiU via NFC or NCF or whatever the hell that technology is called.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Djiem wrote: »
    No, they contain game data and connect to the 3DS and WiiU via NFC or NCF or whatever the hell that technology is called.

I totally forgot Amiibo was a thing, to be honest.

The concept brought up in the 2nd panel for Pokemon is kind of frightening, even though it's already a thing for the online version of their trading card game.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you don't think there will be Pokemon amiibo at some point, you are delusional.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i could barely afford pokemon cards, if that shit was out when I was a kid I would have been so left-out

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    It is genuinely weird to see Gabe in the comic working in the way that Mike does on the comic itself.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    If you don't think there will be Pokemon amiibo at some point, you are delusional.

Indeed, there is already a Pikachu amiibo in one of his poses from Smash Bros and so the other Pokemon reps are almost sure to follow.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Haha I had this same thing happen with my kids this weekend at Target except I had resisted getting Trap Force so far. It's getting annoying to have to buy a new package with a new Portal with each new game and I was hoping to skip this one. I told the kids that we would wait until it's cheap and on sale which it'll inevitably drop to under $50 at some point.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    But all their friends are playing it nowwwww! And if you wait until it's cheap, because no one's playing it, then...

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The worst parents ever!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    CEOIII wrote: »
    .....and THAT'S why I took my entire Skylanders collection to Gamestop for store credit.

....which I then used for Disney Infinity. The Marvel version.

And the new Borderlands, so yeah.

... can you still do that? My kids have a ton of those that don't even get touched anymore. They are older ones (from Giants and Swap Force), so I don't know if they are buying those ones back.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Of course not. Those are the old toys, no one wants (or plays with) the old toys anymore, only the new toys...

"It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT I tell you, genius I say!" -- Yzma

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The Mario figurine bothers me for having a fireball but not using Fire-flower coloration (White/Red). Then again, it looks more like he's catching the fireball then getting ready to throw it, or just reaching out to grab one that was orbiting him for whatever reason.

Thanatosia on
  • Options
    To be fair, SSB Mario throws fireballs with his normal clothing color scheme.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

And as far as I know that's the only thing amiibos are set up to be in?

• Options

And as far as I know that's the only thing amiibos are set up to be in?

No, but they are releasing at the same time as Smash, and seem to have been made primarily for that game.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    What the hell are Amiibos?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    ?

amoeba-breathing-big.jpg

What is this I don't even.