As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why are you excited for Pax South?

MidanMidan Registered User regular
I know we still have a ways to go till Pax South (as much as we wish we didn't!) So to pass the time I figured we could discuss what we are most excited for for Pax. And not even just Pax itself but all the other activities and sight seeing that can be done while at Pax! I will start it off by saying I'm excited to be able to geek out for three days without being considered weird! That is one downfall of living in a small town. But while at Pax I can let me geek flag fly high! What about you guys?

• Lnrt87Lnrt87 KansasRegistered User regular
    I'm excited to be going with my friends. I've been to Prime and East but this will be the first one that several of the guys I grew up with will be able to go.

• MidanMidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Awesome! One Of Our Friends From A Chat Group Is Going With Us But Otherwise We Our On Our Own. But I See It As An OpportunitY To Make New Friends!

Midan on
  • ericdavidsmithericdavidsmith Registered User new member
    This is my first pax, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm excited for. But I'm excited!

• coomtasticcoomtastic Smexy Beast TejasRegistered User regular
    I'm excited because 1) it's in the same state I live in, 2) I'm going to see some people I haven't seen in a while 3) I wasn't able to afford to go to Prime this year and 4) I just love going to cons in general.

• TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    Airport beers, scotch and endless meats when I land, friends, bar crawl, PAX, lunch beers, PAX, free-play area, dinner beers, parties, booze, breakfast beers... The list goes on! Man I play too many video games...

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
    I have never been to PAX before or any con for that matter. It has been on my husbands and I's bucket list and now that PAX is just 8 hours away instead of days away we are beyond excited! Well I am at least! lol I am also excited for all the food and drinks! I live in a dry county so the nearest bar is an hour away so I have not had a cocktail or beer for that matter in quite some time! I feel like for the three days I'm down there I won't know what to do! lol

• CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    I'm a Pax virgin as well, though not a Con virgin. I'm excited to go to a Con as an adult and be around like-minded people having fun. It'll be an extended weekend away with friends, making new friends, playing games, etc. I can't wait!!

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I am excited to see a Pax besides EAST.

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    PA is one of the things my wife and I bonded over when we first met, and it's always been a dream of ours to go to PAX. The trouble is she's a school librarian, and Prime and East always seem to fall either right around the beginning of the school year or in the middle of Book Fair, or some other time when it's impossible for her to take time off. Not only does this give us a PAX to go to in our own home town, but it falls just a week after our fifth wedding anniversary, so the timing could not be better.

edited October 2014
    @ Wickersham: Ok that would be super adorable! I wanted to make matching t shirts to wear on one day of PAX for my husband and me, but he keeps getting me sidetracked on my cosplay instead. lol
    @dolarrah: I wonder how different South will be compared to East? Everyone has been saying that South will be pretty big, especially for it's first year but I don't think it will be at East levels. I hope there will be plenty of exhibitors!
    @ CyberFey: I have a friend who is going who has been to others cons before but not PAX, he has been telling me I need to get ready for like 0 sleep for those three days! I guess when you are hanging out playing games and making new friends you don't really think about sleep!

Midan on
    @midan I am thinking since it is the first year, there will be enough people that the "Newness" of PAX will still be there and it wont be the pushing, shoving, and down right rudeness that East has become. From Swag Bag Line muggings and line cutting to the floor itself, East brings out the worst in people, and I am originally from Boston, so I am use to RUDE. East took rude to the next level and beyond in 2014.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    The best PAX was the first year.

The best East was the first year.

Concurrently, I believe the best South will be this first year.

Wow! swag bag muggings? I mean I'm not that naive I do know that no matter how nice most of the people are, there will be a few bad apples that take advantage of the situation. But that seems a little more extreme then my liking. I hope South's southern hospitality will stick around for a long while.

Also side note: super excited for the weather down at PAX! I live in the pan handle and where we do not get a lot of snow we do get stupid, annoying, slippery, and cold ice! :x And as far as I have been able to research San Antonio rarely gets iced over. :) I will be so relieved to be able to step outside and not worry about about sliding into my car. (Happened to me twice last year, sucks having to explain why you have a bruise on your forehead)

• MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    It's true, San Antonio rarely gets ice (or snow, for the matter.) When we do, in fact, the entire city tends to shut down. People freak out when it rains; anything worse and it's like a full-on panic. The apocalypse is nigh!

Anyway, hi. My husband and I are going to be PAX virgins this year so we're pretty excited. We go to a lot of anime and comic cons in Texas, but I imagine this will be one of the the biggest (A-kon up in Dallas reportedly got 26,000 this year and Alamo City Comic Con supposedly got 30,000 last year and were projecting double that this year, but it sure didn't feel like it -- then again, I was stuck behind a vendor booth the whole weekend so I didn't get to see all of the convention floor.) Also, we're going to PAX South to attend and not to vend, which will be a treat for us, and we're going to cosplay for the first time, so it'll be doubly exciting! In general, I'm really looking forward to just meeting people and taking pictures/getting my picture taken and geeking out for 72+ hours straight.

Yea around here when it ices most folks just go about there business, the farmers complain a lot cause they have to break the ice for their cows otherwise the cows will lick the ice and get their tongues stuck sometimes. lol I hate driving in it but in all honesty I really don't like driving to begin with so throw some ice on the roads and I am very displeased. The trees look amazing though!

Your cosplaying too? What are you guys going to go as? I am going as a Pokemon breeder from black and white. I have never made a costume before so my husband is helping me with this costume this year then maybe next year we can both dress up! I'm also super excited take pictures and to see other cosplayers, I want to see a master chief or a mass effect cosplay that armor just looks awesome in pictures!

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    For me, the challenge is to not get too excited too soon--we still have four months! At some point after Thanksgiving, I plan to watch the fourth season of PA, buy mp3s of the concert bands and start listening to them, start frequenting the forums, and plan my luggage so that I can bring as some really cool board games (maybe even buys some specifically for Pax). All this is really exciting, but really distracts from my regular routine, so putting this off until a month or two before the show is good for my productivity and life-balance.

However, it is extremely hard for me to wait--especially with announcements like the Pax South Indie Board Game Showcase, which sounds incredibly awesome. I attended my first Pax after being an avid video-gamer for years. Pax (and also Wil Wheaton's Tabletop) introduced me to board games. Now I spend more of the time I used to spend on Steam or PSN playing tabletop games, though I still love both. Now, I'm going to log out and try to forget about Pax for another week or so.

I'm going as Zelos Wilder and my husband is going as Kratos Aurion, from Tales of Symphonia. We're working with a local seamster on the actual costumes, since neither of us really know much about sewing or costuming. We've been saving up for a while now to commission him for the work. We'll probably try to do the props ourselves, though. :3

• bradmunbradmun Registered User new member
    edited October 2014
    I am a PAX (and con, for that matter) virgin, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm not that into cosplay and anime stuff, but I don want to go as a character from Borderlands, one of my favorite video game series. I guess I'll figure it out before January, and maybe I'll go as Dr. Zed or Zer0!

bradmun on
  • SporadicusSporadicus Registered User regular
    I thought I would never be able to go to a PAX convention again since I lived in Texas. I was amazed and extremely delighted when I saw the info about Khoo and crew making plans for PAX South.

I have been to PAX prime twice ('09 and '10), and loved both times. Heck, I found my best piece of furniture (an Emissary) at the '10 PAX Prime. Best 3 grand I ever spent!

So. . . YES. I am EXTEMELY excited that PAX South was coming. I grabbed what tickets I could, and was thoroughly disappointed that the 3-day ones were sold out. Oh well.

Here's to meeting new folk in a new convention!

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    gonexall wrote: »
    For me, the challenge is to not get too excited too soon--we still have four months!

100.5 days as of right now. Soon!

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    edited October 2014
    Midan wrote: »
    Wow! swag bag muggings? I mean I'm not that naive I do know that no matter how nice most of the people are, there will be a few bad apples that take advantage of the situation. But that seems a little more extreme then my liking. I hope South's southern hospitality will stick around for a long while.

Boston was great the first year and grew slowly less tolerable but still a great time. 2014 was a "WTF" PAX. Cards Against Humanity is always a hot swag bag item, and they hid them in the Oatmeal this year, so I guess it could be they really were hungry and wanted oatmeal, but given that the picnic table area flood was covered in oatmeal like a litter box, I doubt it was the oatmeal they were after. I had a friend who made all his hotel and travel expense back and then some on the swag he "liberated" He actually bragged to me about it... he is no longer a friend.

Dolarrah on
    Officially less then 100 days till Pax South! (sqweee!!!) OK momentary freak out aside I am so glad it is getting closer! I doubt it will be as bad as East at least not at first but I do hope it is almost as large! I tried not to think about it but that just made me think about it more, so I figured hey I'm just going to dive in and go crazy until about January 27 then I will go back to normal! lol Making my costume has helped, I have made my very own Pokemon eggs by scratch, made a strap to hold my bucket full of eggs, had to attache my poke-balls to them too! Now I need to make my smock but my mother has to help me with that since i have never actually used a sewing machine before!
    @bradmun: Do Zer0! I loved him in the video game and you can go crazy on which helmet and color scheme you want to do!

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »

Boston was great the first year and grew slowly less tolerable but still a great time. 2014 was a "WTF" PAX. Cards Against Humanity is always a hot swag bag item, and they hid them in the Oatmeal this year, so I guess it could be they really were hungry and wanted oatmeal, but given that the picnic table area flood was covered in oatmeal like a litter box, I doubt it was the oatmeal they were after. I had a friend who made all his hotel and travel expense back and then some on the swag he "liberated" He actually bragged to me about it... he is no longer a friend.

I'm all for capitalism and entrepreneurship but geez.

This space for rent
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I'm excited to see some friends in the area I have not seen in years. Also, first PAXen are amazing, would not miss.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »

I don't mean to cast aspersions on Boston, because I love both Boston and New England as a whole, but that's the kind of thing I can't imagine happening in the South. I wouldn't wager a hell of a lot of money on the short-term health of somebody who tried to pull that sorry sh*t here.

See this is why I love talking to other people about South! It just hit me that my first ever con is going to be the first ever South, and since everyone has been saying how the first Paxes are the best I am even more stoked! Is it January yet!?

• Tigre_RoaringTigre_Roaring Greater South Houston areaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty stoked. First time ever going to a PAX event. Almost made it to Prime this year but it didnt pan out. Cant wait!

Gonna be there all 3 days!

• BanamberBanamber Portland ORRegistered User new member
    I'm excited to get to go with my friends. I go to prime every year but this will be my first time in Texas.
    I'm going with 4 other friends so this is going to be amazing. Also pin trading.

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I'm excited because I live right down the street, I just retired from the military here in SA, so hopefully it will do well and stick around! If it can bring the Dutch oven of joy and harmony that every other PAX I've gone to has brought it, it'll be great. I'll have all my pins from all the prior PAX to trade which is always exciting.

It is now officially only three months till PAX!! WOOT! Anyways Still super excited to go! I just can't wait to meet everyone and just be in such a nice atmosphere for a while. Also what is pin trading? I've been trying to look up what there is to do at PAX, and jee wiz there sure is a lot. Definitely doing the PAX Pokemon League, I'm a huge Pokemon fan. Maybe by the second PAX I will try to be a Gym Leader. But I have not heard of pin trading yet.

But I have not heard of pin trading yet.

It's Penny Arcade's answer to the Disney pin trading. Here's a link to the official Pinny Arcade site http://penny-arcade.com/pinny-arcade

You can also check out the sub forum Pinny Arcade where all us pin fanatics gather.

• SamCiceroSamCicero NYCRegistered User regular
    I'm excited to see friends, and return to PAX after a couple-year sabbatical. It'll be interesting to see similarities/differences with Prime (I've yet to catch East though I live closer....) It's great that (I think) there will be a lot of PAX virgins there who couldn't attend further-away places. And I don't mind a bit warmer weather in January, coming from NYC.

Is it January yet?!

Hmmm, ok pin trading looks fun and crazily addictive! My hubby limited me to only three purchases at South (Besides food and drinks) I may have to make one of them a pin set....

And if only it was January!! But luckily we only have 87 days left to wait! it is getting closer!! albeit very very very slowly..... :(

Hmmm, ok pin trading looks fun and crazily addictive! My hubby limited me to only three purchases at South (Besides food and drinks) I may have to make one of them a pin set....

And if only it was January!! But luckily we only have 87 days left to wait! it is getting closer!! albeit very very very slowly..... :(

It is quite so, but the beauty is that trading is very heavily promoted amongst the pin community, and the way to obtain each pin varies. Some are purchased (Like the PAX Core sets, and the pins online), some are given out for demoing games(The Magic the Gathering pins are a great example), and others are given for special occasions/panels/etc. It's what got me much more into the "PAX Community" and now I'm very much addicted.

• grrrgrrr TexasRegistered User new member
    PAX South will be my first PAX/Con. So I'm super excited about it. I really have no idea what to expect from a game con. After watching PA The Series I thought "I have to attend one of these." I've just recently started to get back into gaming (video and tabletop) and am diving in with both feet. I'm pretty nervous about it too - I'm going alone so I'm nervous about not knowing anyone, but I'm excited about the prospect of making new friends!

• HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Everyone has told me that the first PAX ever is magical, and I want to be in on that magic. I imagine this something akin to giving birth to a child, minus all of the screaming, crying, blood, guts and poo. Aah... Children.

• QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    grrr wrote: »
    PAX South will be my first PAX/Con. So I'm super excited about it. I really have no idea what to expect from a game con. After watching PA The Series I thought "I have to attend one of these." I've just recently started to get back into gaming (video and tabletop) and am diving in with both feet. I'm pretty nervous about it too - I'm going alone so I'm nervous about not knowing anyone, but I'm excited about the prospect of making new friends!

Don't worry to much about not knowing anyone. Almost everyone at pax is incredibly nice so if you start to feel lonely just start talking casually to the people around you. You can also talk to the enforcers. Despite their positions of authority they are incredibly friendly and also human. Inquires into their nature have proved they do not bite and love talking.

• grrrgrrr TexasRegistered User new member
    Quackers wrote: »
    Don't worry to much about not knowing anyone. Almost everyone at pax is incredibly nice ...

Thanks! The friendly vibe I got from watching clips on PATV was what got me so excited about attending. I'll be there all three days. :)

Quackers wrote: »
    Don't worry to much about not knowing anyone. Almost everyone at pax is incredibly nice

This is also generally true of most of the anime conventions that I've attended throughout Texas, so hopefully it'll just mean it's doubly so for PAX South!