As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CDC Projects 40% of Americans Will Develop Diabetes; What Do We Do About It?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah depends on the person, I've heard of "vegetarians" that eat fish too.

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

It doesn't depend on the person, there's an accepted definition.

Vegetarian: Doesn't eat meat. May eat eggs and milk and honey (animal products)
    Vegan: Doesn't eat any animal product.

Some people say they are vegetarian when they eat fish, but those people are simply not understanding the definition.

There's actually a term for that as well - ovolactopescetarian.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    what is "meat"

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    murder?

• BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    murder?
    But murder is also murder!

(Just had to throw in a Psych reference.)

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

Some people say they are vegetarian when they eat fish, but those people are simply not understanding the definition.

Sometimes it's easier to just say that you're a vegetarian (or, 'vegetarian, but I eat fish') than a pescatarian, especially when you're around a group of people who might not know the term, and especially when you don't want to sound like the annoying sort of person who goes into long educational discursions about the precise name for their eating habits. Similarly for terms like ovo-lactarian and so on.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Can a pescatarian eat crab and shark and dolphin

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Per the rules, they have to.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Can a pescitarian eat Joe Pesci?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »
    Can a pescitarian eat Joe Pesci?

Per the rules, they have to.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

In a more serious note: Crab and shark are "fish", dolphin aren't, so I'd say yes to the first two, probably no to the last one (mammals gonna mam)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

In a more serious note: Crab and shark are "fish", dolphin aren't, so I'd say yes to the first two, probably no to the last one (mammals gonna mam)

Now I'm really curious what kind of meat dolphins have. Is it fish-like, cow-like, pig-like, chicken-like?

jimb213 wrote: »

Now I'm really curious what kind of meat dolphins have. Is it fish-like, cow-like, pig-like, chicken-like?

From what I've heard it's like beef liver, because of the fat content. Basically, from what I can tell, if you had a choice to eat something, dolphin would be the very bottom of that list because it's not very good... which makes you wonder why people kill them for food.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

Well, how often do you eat tuna fish? Because, chances are...

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

From what I've heard it's like beef liver, because of the fat content. Basically, from what I can tell, if you had a choice to eat something, dolphin would be the very bottom of that list because it's not very good... which makes you wonder why people kill them for food.

People love taking stuff that is awful tasting,rare, or (at some point) hard to get and saying its good for you/a delicacy/medicine?

steam_sig.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

Sometimes it's easier to just say that you're a vegetarian (or, 'vegetarian, but I eat fish') than a pescatarian, especially when you're around a group of people who might not know the term, and especially when you don't want to sound like the annoying sort of person who goes into long educational discursions about the precise name for their eating habits. Similarly for terms like ovo-lactarian and so on.

What about, "I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish."?

Real vegetarians get a little annoyed at other people who say they are vegetarian but eat fish/birds because they confuse people, and account for the "vegetarian option" in restaurants sometimes having fish or chicken in it.

lol chicken, now we're just making shit up!

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

Real vegetarians get a little annoyed at other people who say they are vegetarian but eat fish/birds because they confuse people, and account for the "vegetarian option" in restaurants sometimes having fish or chicken in it.

I have never seen a vegetarian option in a restaurant that has chicken in it. Fish, either but I could credit it, but definitely not chicken.

The main reason why people who each fish and cheese call themselves vegetarian, rather than going into an in-depth discussion of their food preferences, is that by ordering vegetarian they know they won't get anything they wouldn't eat. It's the safest option.

edited October 2014

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

I have never seen a vegetarian option in a restaurant that has chicken in it. Fish, either but I could credit it, but definitely not chicken.

The main reason why people who each fish and cheese call themselves vegetarian, rather than going into an in-depth discussion of their food preferences, is that by ordering vegetarian they know they won't get anything they wouldn't eat. It's the safest option.

I'm really talking about the people who order the fish "because I'm vegetarian" - it confuses restaurant staff, especially in countries where they don't have a history of vegetarianism. So then people who are stricter vegetarians order a "vegetarian dish" and then get upset because it comes with "just a little fish" in it, and everyone goes home unhappy.

It's similar to people who say "I can't have mushrooms, I'm allergic" when what they really mean is "Mushrooms disgust me." Restaurant staff start to think of people with "allergies" as just picky eaters, and say "No, this dish does not have mushrooms" when it has mushroom broth (which wouldn't bother those who merely don't like mushrooms) and the poor customer comes out in a rash.

CelestialBadger on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Wait? You mean Chicken Parmesan isn't vegan?

steam_sig.png

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

I'm really talking about the people who order the fish "because I'm vegetarian" - it confuses restaurant staff, especially in countries where they don't have a history of vegetarianism. So then people who are stricter vegetarians order a "vegetarian dish" and then get upset because it comes with "just a little fish" in it, and everyone goes home unhappy.

It's similar to people who say "I can't have mushrooms, I'm allergic" when what they really mean is "Mushrooms disgust me." Restaurant staff start to think of people with "allergies" as just picky eaters, and say "No, this dish does not have mushrooms" when it has mushroom broth (which wouldn't bother those who merely don't like mushrooms) and the poor customer comes out in a rash.

If I didn't like mushrooms, why serve it to me? Why take the risk? That's a good way to get yourself in some shit or fired. If I tell you I'm allergic, I might just be.

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

Are you in the U.S.? Because I know both vegetarians and vegans, and the vegans know not to order anything that just says vegetarian, as that can include eggs and dairy products.

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

Are you in the U.S.? Because I know both vegetarians and vegans, and the vegans know not to order anything that just says vegetarian, as that can include eggs and dairy products.

I'm not personally a vegetarian. I did have to follow a restricted diet for a few months, and the amount of restaurants that didn't know that butter was not vegan was astonishing....

Oh well!

Eggs are great!

I'm not personally a vegetarian. I did have to follow a restricted diet for a few months, and the amount of restaurants that didn't know that butter was not vegan was astonishing....

My vegan friends will not eat at restaurants that do not have vegan items explicitly listed on the menu. It's hard depending on where you live, but most areas will have certain chains or local places that explicitly cater to vegan diets. That's not always easy to tell, and some places surprise you. McAllister's, for example, is apparently a great vegan option.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm a vegetarian once removed. I only eat things that only eat vegetables.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Do you, uh, eat chicken?

Chicken eat chicken.

So what you're saying is everything is chicken if it eats chicken?

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Do you, uh, eat chicken?

Mostly I just eat vegetarians.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Do you, uh, eat chicken?

Or fish?

People love taking stuff that is awful tasting,rare, or (at some point) hard to get and saying its good for you/a delicacy/medicine?

It's why certain parts of the globe will eventually drive every species on earth to extinction in a desperate attempt to get their cock a little harder.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Do you, uh, eat chicken?

Mostly I just eat vegetarians.

So, you're a true humanitarian then.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    lol chicken, now we're just making shit up!

Chicken parmesan's not vegan?
    Wait? You mean Chicken Parmesan isn't vegan?

God DAMNITT.

What is this I don't even.
    My wife has started up weight watchers for god knows whatever reason (we're reasonably healthy and it's pretty obvious what things we could change: work out more per week, don't eat a danish with breakfast, don't drink two beers, etc.) and it's such a weird fucking system. "Eat all the pineapple you want, but 200 calories worth of a breakfast granola is 1/5 your daily food allowance."

I guess it's just behavior training?

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    My wife has started up weight watchers for god knows whatever reason (we're reasonably healthy and it's pretty obvious what things we could change: work out more per week, don't eat a danish with breakfast, don't drink two beers, etc.) and it's such a weird fucking system. "Eat all the pineapple you want, but 200 calories worth of a breakfast granola is 1/5 your daily food allowance."

I think it's because they figure no-one ever got fat from eating too much fruit. Anyone who tries to game it by eating barrels of fruit is going to be spending a lot of time on the toilet. :)

I think it's because they figure no-one ever got fat from eating too much fruit. Anyone who tries to game it by eating barrels of fruit is going to be spending a lot of time on the toilet. :)

Yeah, but she's already cheated by buying a shit ton of pre-diced pineapple, which I think sort of fucks with the whole reasonable sugar nutrient goal.

I don't really feel like weight watchers, so far looking at it, is any sort of path toward healthy eating unless you're going from "super unhealthy" where any improvements are good steps.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Yeah, but she's already cheated by buying a shit ton of pre-diced pineapple, which I think sort of fucks with the whole reasonable sugar nutrient goal.

I don't really feel like weight watchers, so far looking at it, is any sort of path toward healthy eating unless you're going from "super unhealthy" where any improvements are good steps.

Weight Watchers is basically just counting calories and pretty effective so long as it's adhered to.

And honestly unless it was canned the pineapple was fine. Otherwise I'm p sure the Weight Watcher program differentiates between the two.

• EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think this settles the debate on vegetarianism.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um2p4GlEbKg

Also my cousin who is always railing against what others are eating,and the guy who says nobody should ever eat bananas.
    One of his favorite foods is a cheeseburger with a fried egg and bacon on top. ... Yeah, keep away from those bananas.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    fruit is real bulky so you really can't gain much weight eating fruit because you simply can't eat that much of it

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I've heard vegan used as 'nothing meat related for me at all' while vegetarian means 'I don't eat mammals, and I may or may not eat other animals.'

Due to fish allergies, I order vegan meals a lot, especially while travelling.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Jars wrote: »
    fruit is real bulky so you really can't gain much weight eating fruit because you simply can't eat that much of it

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a show where they tried to get people to eat a diet similar to Chimpanzees. This was to prove that, because of our discovery of fire, we have evolved past the point that we can sustain our bodies on a caveman-esque diet (well, the diet of our closest relative anyway). They supplemented the fruit with a daily multivitamin because, well, they pretty much knew going in that no one was going to be able to eat that much fruit. They were suggesting that our digestive system was smaller since we no longer needed the ability to extract as many calories as possible out of our food, and lack of fire for cooking would be impossible to sustain in the long run.

That told them, that they didn't have to eat all the fruit, but whatever they did eat, would have to carry over to the next day. And you could eat, any time of the day.

Everyone was having their food carry over, you just could not eat 2000 calories worth of fruit a day without being sick. Most of them were complaining about going to the bathroom all the time. I can't remember if they were allowed raw vegetables or not, but I recall fruit being the main portion of it.

On the upside, pretty much everyone lost 5-10 lbs during the experiment, but that's mostly because of the inability to eat enough.

Makes me wonder though, if shorter people would have an easier time. If you get people under 5 foot together, and they were as lean as possible, would they be able to support their body weight off fruit?