As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War - a Ken Burns film

Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Social Entropy++
"The War is the story of World War 2 through the personal accounts of a handful of men and woman from four American towns."

This documentary style movie, produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novik. It airs most days, from what I can see, at 8, 9 or 10 o'clock, depending on your location. The next episode airs tonight at 8 pm PST.

I watched it last night, and the stories of the experiences of the soldiers were really intriguing. One was of a Crow Indian who was drafted, and subsiquently completed their 4 warrior tasks to become a war cheif without even noticing. He touched a live enemy, took his weapon, led a successful war party, and stole a fucking nazi horse while stampeding the rest.

Have any of you watched the series, and if so, what do you think of it so far?

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

tl;dr: The War is a cool series. Watch it on PBS.

Wombat!! on

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    damn I love world war 2 shows

I would watch this

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    saw some ads for it, but then I considered that it was on PBS. so I'm hesitant

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't be hesitant. It is not like alot of their monotone narrator documentaries. I actually think I heard Tom Hanks doing some of the narrations! Either that, or someone sounds alot like him.

It was alot like the interviews at the beginning of Band of Brothers, but with video and pictures to show what they were talking about. Also, I saw Buck Compton, from Easy Company, in one of the random video clips discribing Bocage.

EDIT: Yep, Tom Hanks does some of the narrations.

Wombat!! on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    band of brothers is better

PiptheFair on
    edited October 2007
    do they show irrelevant stock footage? or accurate, recreated stuff?

also I want to see a story about that british guy who fought in WW2 with bow and arrows

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jack churchill was a god amongst men

PiptheFair on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Apparently there's footage no one's seen since it was filmed.

I mean I admit this just makes me want to watch Saving Private Ryan

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited October 2007
    They have alot of footage from the people carrying cameras around, but they use the clips in which you can actually see the person they are interviewing. Like, they had a camera shot of the native american guy sneaking up to the barn where he stole the horses, or one of the plane mounted cameras on an airforce pilot's mustang.

Wombat!! on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was watching some of this and was thoroughly impressed. I am a bit of a WWII buff, and this was one of those documentaries that exceeeded my expectations.

Also, it made me play more Forgotten Hope.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are these old, crazy dudes, or the guys you want to be who are still as solid as a fucking rock like the Medal of Honor winners you see on Dogfights

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited October 2007
    this is where the canadians marched up to the city *cue stock footage of some american soldiers walking somewhere in an other country*

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    They are fucking solid as FUCK! One guy started chuckling when he was talking about choking a nazi to death! One pilot guy got messed up by the war; his right hand stopped working when he was flying, and every once it a while it just cuts out, and he can't use it. Other than that, he was talking about his experiences just fine.

Wombat!! on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No its not like that, Wren.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited October 2007
    well thats good then

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Pte. Ernest Alvia Smith - "Smoky" Smith
    "In Italy on the night of 21st-22nd October 1944, a Canadian Infantry Brigade was ordered to establish a bridgehead across the Savio River. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada were selected as the spearhead of the attack, and in weather most unfavourable to the operation they crossed the river and captured their objective in spite of strong opposition from the enemy.

Torrential rain had caused the Savio River to rise six feet in five hours, and as the soft vertical banks made it impossible to bridge the river no tanks or anti-tank guns could be taken across the raging stream to the support of the rifle companies.

As the right forward company was consolidating its objective it was suddenly counter-attacked by a troop of three Mark V Panther tanks supported by two self-propelled guns and about thirty infantry and the situation appeared hopeless.

Under heavy fire from the approaching enemy tanks, Private Smith, showing great initiative and inspiring leadership, led his P.I.A.T.(1) Group of two men across an open field to a position from which the P.I.A.T. could best be employed. Leaving one man on the weapon, Private Smith crossed the road with a companion and obtained another P.I.A.T. Almost immediately an enemy tank came down the road firing its machine-guns along the line of the ditches. Private Smith's comrade was wounded. At a range of thirty feet and having to expose himself to the full view of the enemy, Private Smith fired the P.I.A.T. and hit the tank, putting it out of action. Ten German infantry immediately jumped off the back of the tank and charged him with Schmeissers and grenades. Without hesitation Private Smith moved out on the road and with his Tommy gun at point-blank range, killed four Germans and drove the remainder back. Almost immediately another tank opened fire and more enemy infantry closed in on Smith's position. Obtaining some abandoned Tommy gun magazines from a ditch, he steadfastly held his position, protecting his comrade and fighting the enemy with his Tommy gun until they finally gave up and withdrew in disorder.

One tank and both self-propelled guns had been destroyed by this time, but yet another tank swept the area with fire from a longer range. Private Smith, still showing utter contempt for enemy fire, helped his wounded friend to cover and obtained medical aid for him behind a nearby building. He then returned to his position beside the road to await the possibility of a further enemy attack.

No further immediate attack developed, and as a result the battalion was able to consolidate the bridgehead position so vital to the success of the whole operation, which led to the capture of San Giorgio Di Cesena and a further advance to the Ronco River.

Thus, by the dogged determination, outstanding devotion to duty and superb gallantry of this private soldier, his comrades were so inspired that the bridgehead was held firm against all enemy attacks, pending the arrival of tanks and anti-tank guns some hours later."

this guy was so awesome (he passed away several years ago). he was the type who would recount his war stories with enthusiasm. he lived around here, although I never got to meet him myself.
    Irreverant, sharp-witted and something of a trouble-maker…"I don't take prisoners. Period," Smith said. "I'm not paid to take prisoners. I'm paid to kill them. That's all there is to it."…His reputation as a party animal preceded him…"Don't let him loose in this town. Don't let him loose."…"He's a dangerous fellow." …"I liked to party. I'd have a big goddamn party and they'd say: 'Where is he now? Oh, he's drunk downtown."'…His beloved cigars and scotch…Strange women kiss him.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Holy shit

Lemming on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I read a review of this in the new yorker

They said it was shit.

Some of the stories are okay, but the format and general feel of it was pretty terrible.

Javen on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You read the New Yorker?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    You read the New Yorker?

No I listen to it on the radio

Javen on
    edited October 2007
    ok good

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited October 2007
    hey no you don't

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Dang it. I should have watched this. I love Ken Burns' documentaries. I would love to watch the baseball one again sometime.

150cc on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it is pretty good

Randall_Flagg on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The great uncle after which I was named was in the Batan death march. He survived the march, but died in the camp afterwards.

Few years back, my grandpa was showing me some of the letters said great uncle wrote home. Turns out, we have the exact same handwriting. That was quite freaky.

Poorochondriac on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I get about 5 versions of PBS on my antenna, and at least two of them are HD. Still can't get any version of abc. WTF?

It's interesting to contrast WWII stories with coverage from the wars that came after.

FreddyD on