As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I heard you like fractal art

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited April 2020 in Artist's Corner

MKR on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like the last one. I have no idea how to provide feedback for fractal art, honestly. These are interesting in that they don't resemble what I think about when I hear the word fractal, which is like neon swirl backgrounds from 2005. Something about them will always feel unfinished to me, though? What do you consider to be good fractal art?

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    I like the last one. I have no idea how to provide feedback for fractal art, honestly. These are interesting in that they don't resemble what I think about when I hear the word fractal, which is like neon swirl backgrounds from 2005. Something about them will always feel unfinished to me, though? What do you consider to be good fractal art?

My idea of good visual art goes as far as being aesthetically pleasing. If it gets there, it's good.

Man, you can be more in depth than that. If you are going on the adventure of making non representational art, being able to talk about your influences and state your aesthetics is important. Its just as much about being able to tell the onlooker what you are going for as to decipher for yourself what you are going for. This is why we look at art history at all, when you are asked to describe a painting, its about giving your mind the resources to dissect it for what you like and put it to words. Once you do that its much easier to extract abstract qualities and Ideas to apply them to completely new work and media.

What may be pleasing to you is probably fairly arbitrary from my perspective, so you can really optimize what kind of feedback you get if you can be more specific about what you like. Plus, talking about stuff you like is fun!

edited April 2020

MKR on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Maurice Nobel's "The Dot and The Line" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmSbdvzbOzY

Is a great start for studying non-representational art, and just composition in general.

So many puns.

edited April 2020

MKR on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I have to say, this is some interesting and cool stuff. It's fascinating (at least to me) how you can tell a person what you see, and the person you're talking to might not see the same thing at all.
    Like the blue splash/person one, I can kind of see a watery splash, but I think that's mostly a result of the color choice. Mostly, it looks like a close up of some kind of beetle to me. (The two small horizontal-ish bits about 1/3rd of the way up are antennae).

Do you have a larger version of the third one from your OP? I'm thinking it could make a great desktop wallpaper, loathe as I am to abandon my Portal 2 desktop, it's been nearly 3 years.

edited April 2020

MKR on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm using 1920x1080, which seems to be a fairly standard resolution.

see317 wrote: »
    I'm using 1920x1080, which seems to be a fairly standard resolution.

Here you go.

I'm also giving serious consideration to selling fractal art wallpapers. I've been uploading these to print sites, and people seem to like them.

• jjwwjjww Registered User regular
    I had no idea what fractcal art was when I clicked here. But there's some cool and unique stuff! Love the 'Alien Rock Star'.

edited April 2020

MKR on
    edited December 2014
    Someone's walking around with that Inkblot Samurai thing on a t-shirt. At least, I hope they are since they paid for it. I've got some more art to post tomorrow, but I just wanted to thank everyone for nudging me to think more about this stuff. It's made a huge difference.

MKR on
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    I totally thought the very first one was just blots of color done in Photoshop, like by someone testing their new tablet.

What program do you use? How long does a typical work of art take?

These are some really cool visuals, btw.

I use Apophysis 7X: http://apophysis-7x.org/

It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on how long it takes to find a good base fractal and adjust it into something I like.

edited April 2020

MKR on
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Earth spirit kinda looks like he's the DJ/host of a rave.

well...moreso than others. :p

Ollie on
    Ollie wrote: »
    Earth spirit kinda looks like he's the DJ/host of a rave.

well...moreso than others. :p

There's an implied "oonce oonce oonce" in all my art.

• wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    I love fractal art, and hope you post a bajillion more images of it.

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
    edited January 2016
    So I went with that "match them to a concept" idea, and now people actually pay money for these. I think I'm going to start posting here again for critique. I know I'm probably the only one here who makes fractals, but feedback always helps, even if it's limited to aesthetics. :)

MKR on
    Poooost soooome!

edited April 2020

MKR on