As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, October 10, 2014 - Bug Hunt

2»

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, I have a confession.

I also can't tell the difference between a dvd and blu-ray.

Maybe it's just that I've always had poor eyesight and glasses, so I just don't scrutinize visual detail that much?

I have pretty poor eyesight too but, I mean it's a pretty striking difference

you might want to get your eyes looked at if these look the same (the 480 and 1080 ones)
    1080p-vs-4K.jpg

although it depends on a lot on the screen and the distance from the screen, obviously

sitting at a computer monitor it's significant (although not the 4k one, imo, but I'd like to see it in motion on a 4k screen).
    I apparently have amazing tolerance for shitty framerates. Back in the day I used to have a PC without a 3d card (we're talking early days of 3dfx and voodoos) so it was all software rendering on my machine, one of my flat mates walked in on me playing a racing game and couldn't believe how choppy everything was looking to the extent that they called in other flatmates to show how choppy it was.

Looked perfectly smooth to me.

That said, I played Quake on a machine that did 30fps and I played Quake on a machine that did 100 FPS. I know which one gave the better fragging experience and it wasn't the one with a two digit frame rate.

I had a chance to play CS on my friend's 144hz G-sync monitor and it was magical

for example you could read text in motion clear as day where as on my monitor at home it would be a blur

override367 on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So, I have a confession.

Maybe it's just that I've always had poor eyesight and glasses, so I just don't scrutinize visual detail that much?

I can spot the difference between DVD and Bluray but that's a resolution thing. Though even then everything after 1080 might as well be the same. I can only very, very slightly tell the difference between the 1080 and 4k pictures above. Definitely wouldn't pay extra for the latter.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Quid wrote: »
    I can only very, very slightly tell the difference between the 1080 and 4k pictures above. Definitely wouldn't pay extra for the latter.

That's also a good point: seeing a difference is one thing, caring about it enough to pay for it or to do what it takes to obtain it is another.
    Obviously, if I had 2 PS3, and they were identical in *every single aspect*, including size, price, EVERYTHING, but one of them gave constant 60 FPS, of course I'd pick it.

But there are other differences between a system and another system, or between a PC and a console, or between different PCs and PC parts, and honestly, I don't need more than what I have to play Smite on my PC, Mario Kart 8 on my Wii U, You Don't Know Jack on my PS3, or Towerfall Ascension on my Ouya.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I see people provide things like that reference image, but I've never watched a DVD that looked like the 480 reference.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I see people provide things like that reference image, but I've never watched a DVD that looked like the 480 reference.

Maybe if you paused during a moment of high-speed action?

You know, the typical way to watch movies :p

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

Maybe if you paused during a moment of high-speed action?

You know, the typical way to watch movies :p

"If you ever paused to got up and get popcorn or go take a pee, and then came back to sit on the couch, and looked at the TV while holding your remote to press PLAY, you'd TOTALLY know what I'm talking about!"

• Options
    Eron_gjEron_gj Registered User new member
    Oh boy where to start

I outed a monster who emotionally abused me and, by her own definition, RAPED me

You have to wonder about the way her journalist friends refused to cover the issue in order to protect her image after multiple sources started corroborating a single picture of her extremely toxic character.

And now she's doing an AMA.

Basically, imagine a bunch of people who have purposely decided to avoid looking at what’s really going on gush to Hitler* about how much they love and appreciate his work on social issues. Then imagine Hitler pretending to blush modestly before sharing some story about what a difficult time the creation of Mein Kampf was for him. Then imagine remembering that not only did you have sex with that thing, but it was the first person you fell in love with. You will cringe at what you did, and you will cringe when you see a bunch of other people doing it.

You also have to wonder if my timing wasn't fortunate. Who knows whether Zoe would've slept with Tycho during PAX. She's not beneath anything.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2014
    Geth, kick @Eron_gj‌ from the thread for being a creepy, abusive shithead.

Tube on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. @Eron_gj banned from this thread for being a creepy, abusive shithead.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So, I have a confession.

you might want to get your eyes looked at if these look the same (the 480 and 1080 ones)
    1080p-vs-4K.jpg
    So basically 4k displays are for people who like looking at individual strands of hair and nothing else. That's really about the only functional difference between the two that I can tell.

forty on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    So, I have a confession.

1080p-vs-4K.jpg
    So basically 4k displays are for people who like looking at individual strands of hair and nothing else. That's really about the only functional difference between the two that I can tell.

4k is cinema resolution, you're not gonna see much difference unless you have a really really huge screen.