As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MtG] Everyone's uncle works for WOTC

APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
Temporary OP is temporary.

DigThroughTime.jpg

Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir is in the books and we have much clearer idea of the meta we're in for and it's really diverse and awesome. Let's talk about a few of the decks:

First up we have Abzan Midrange, led by old friend Courser of Kruphix and new friend Siege Rhino. Do you like big value creatures and hitting your opponent in the face? This is the deck for you!

Next is Jeskai Tempo Aggro Burn Wins ALPHONSO! No one knows quite what to make of this deck. Is it a burn deck? Is it aggressive? Controlling? All of the above? Whatever it is, it's good. Do you like Izzet? Do you like Boros? This deck combines both in one tasty package.

UB Control - what no new clan? Lame. Control, it turns out, did survive Rotation, but only just barely. Dig Through Time is no Rev, but still incredible. Perilous Vault is no Verdict but.... Ummm... it still... does stuff? We still have Counterspells! Disdainful Stroke is the new hotness!

Jeskai Ascendancy Combo - yes there is a REAL COMBO deck in Standard. Hard to beleive, much doubted, but here it is. Pick your wincon and combo out.

Images and more details to come. Just wanted to get a thread up.

APODionysus on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    en_64ujbqip4a.png

BROOD FOR THE BROOD GOD

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    UB control looks miserable. It looks miserable when it's losing and it looks miserable when it's winning. The only time it doesn't look miserable is when it casts dig through time or ingenuity, then it resolves and you get more terrible cards in your hand and it looks miserable again.

My favorite part of coverage was the anecdote about someone talking to Floch about his chance to win two Pro Tours in a row and he just said, "not with this deck."

admanb on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I thought we named the Ascendancy combo Jeskai Alphonso

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Mardu midrange or bust get out ye homps.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Nah, Alphonso is the nickname for what people will call "Jeskai Tempo" or "Jeskai Wins", which are terrible names compared to Jeskai Alphonso.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    the "control deck" is terrible and it doesn't even have anything good or powerful to be doing.

you know what's better at control? the abzan deck, just raise the top end. basically what ari lax was doing.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i drafted with some buddies last week as part of some bachelor party festivities who were either
    a) casual players who'd never drafted
    b) newer players who'd studied theros intently but didn't know anything about khans
    c) the smart but walker-hungry little bros of my buddy's now-wife

i drafted abysmally, but the point of it all was that the above meant I would nonchalantly get passed things like, you know, a foil fetch (labeled "the worst rare I've ever seen" by one of the brothers. bless the inscrutably powerful land)

after i snatched it i felt bad and so told them about the deal with fetches and their worth and such, and still got passed a third-pack windswept heath (not the craziest thing if one's more concerned with honing their deck). I still felt bad so I made a point of announcing what it was again, and then proceeded to wheel the thing. 11th pick fetch, i can pass ye no longer

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Yeah I just don't think UB Control is for real. It's just... ugh... I mean yeah, a version bad top 8, but Perilous Vault is just so awful and slow. Of the top 8 decks, I actually think it's the worst choice... even behind Combo. There's just so little card advantage to be had. Dig through Time is amazing, but the thing that really separates it from Rev is that, while only UWx Control got to run Rev, UB Controls' OPPONENTS can run DTT too. So the inherent advantage of having access to stupidly good draw spell just isn't the same when Jeskai Alphonso gets to run it too. And is faster. Also better.

Pearl Lake Ancient and Prog Sphinx are just no substitute for AEtherling/Elspeth either.

It's just not a good choice right now. If a Control deck is going to appear, it's more likely to be in Abzan (as Lucedes said), or even Jeskai (we've seen some Alphonso list have a transformative sideboard into a more controlling deck, and I still think Keranos will have a chance to shine)

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think some form of competitive control will emerge, but dimir control is not it

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    dimir control, as it was constructed, is possibly the most boring list of cards I've ever looked at

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    It's just hard to see where the card advantage Control desperately needs is coming from, other than Dig. White gives you End Hostilities, but it's also slow and unlike the even slower Vault doesn't answer Sarkhan, Nissa or Elspeth which are all things that are very dangerous.

Black feels bad because while Heros Downfall and Thoughtseize are sweet, in a format with Abzan Midrange and Jeskai Alphonso I don't think Control can really afford to go 1-for-1 without a better way to restock.

Maybe new Jace is worth investigating? It can fuel Digs, and draw you 7 if you ultimate... but again it's so much slower.

My gut says Control will be born out of a variant of Alphonso.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I feel like the tap out esper version with end hostilities, ashiok, and elspeth is better against the field of midrange and jeskai decks, but that version probably gets wrecked by the straight u/b draw go control deck.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I want to pair new Jace with Sidisi. They're going to be best friends and make lots of zombie babies.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    'twas a little sad to see no New Jace at the PT.

Also, why are Temple of Malady so damn expensive on MTGO? Isn't it like a one-of in the Abzan decks?

• Options
    They were pricey because of all the black devotion deck splashing for Abrupt Decay and Golgari Charm, and now it's reversed with green devotion decks and Doomwake Giant. Plus they're from Journey, which was opened less than Theros and Born, so supply is a little tighter.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    So in order to make room for combo is standard, they took the legs off control

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    jeskai alfonso is the name of the jeskai tempo deck played by luis alfonso at the first star city open of khans of tarkir

JEEZ you guys, you all are so combo-fixated you ignore the facts

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    New lr is up btw

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i drafted with some buddies last week as part of some bachelor party festivities who were either
    a) casual players who'd never drafted
    b) newer players who'd studied theros intently but didn't know anything about khans
    c) the smart but walker-hungry little bros of my buddy's now-wife

i drafted abysmally, but the point of it all was that the above meant I would nonchalantly get passed things like, you know, a foil fetch (labeled "the worst rare I've ever seen" by one of the brothers. bless the inscrutably powerful land)

after i snatched it i felt bad and so told them about the deal with fetches and their worth and such, and still got passed a third-pack windswept heath (not the craziest thing if one's more concerned with honing their deck). I still felt bad so I made a point of announcing what it was again, and then proceeded to wheel the thing. 11th pick fetch, i can pass ye no longer

when we drafted alara reborn for my friend's bachelor party that i organized, i opened and then was also passed a maelstrom pulse

btw never draft that set solo it was a terrible idea but man was it hilarious

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    jeskai alfonso is the name of the jeskai tempo deck played by luis alfonso at the first star city open of khans of tarkir

JEEZ you guys, you all are so combo-fixated you ignore the facts

Hey, I used the proper name in the OP, sir.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I have a backlog of constructed resources that I'm listening to

Jon Loucks thinks rattleclaw is better than caryatid

Which is

Hilarious?

Whippy on
  • Options
    What if I just played five color good stuff, but in Standard.

Oh, that's just Abzan? Damn.

• Options
    My combo sideboard should be

4 swan song
    4 xenagos
    4 nissa
    3 chandra

TRANSFORMATIONAL

• Options

Which is

Hilarious?

i think rattleclaw wins in a deck like the one im playing now where you still have 5 drops you wanna cast but have a lower, more aggressive curve and hes a dork that can attack

otherwise probs not

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

Which is

Hilarious?

I'm caught up (i think) on CR and yeah, when they were going all in on how good big knucks was i was like 'uh i dunno guys'

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    temur had hella hype and 0 results

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah they're like

Oh siege rhino is pretty good I guess

But this knuckle guy huaghluagjghugjaghluagh

• Options
    obv the answer to temur's painful manabase is to just feed the damn clan already

catch up to me, meta

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    "Sorin is only good for life gain"

Marsh come on wtf are you doing

• Options
    i honestly think sorin is better than sarkhan, not that sarkhan is bad or average or anything

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    temur is godlike but not in this meta

like they have so much game against the control decks that dont really exist aside from ub that even floch thought was trash

but its manabase concedes to jeskai so

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    yeah but dragons are cooler than vampires

• Options
    edited October 2014
    like knuckledude is in fact insane just the only way its deck can turn 2 it is to lightning bolt itself and thats bad right now when a burn deck is relevant

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I mostly agree with you! But they're both super good so it kinda doesn't matter.

Also I can't stop pulling fetches. At least twelve so far. But not a single wooded foothills? And only one polluted delta that I immediately traded to a guy that was standing right there and really wanted it.

BLESSING AND A CURSE

• Options
    edited October 2014
    i used up all my fetch luck in the 1 foil delta and otherwise cannot crack a fetch to save my life

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    My first prerelease I got a Sorin and a Flooded Strand, got a fat pack yesterday? Sorin and Flooded Strand.

I am perfectly ok with this turn of events, I'm getting a box tommorrow and it should be interesting.

• Options
    I have pulled trash ever since my Bloodstained Mire on release day.

Even the fetch I got is the worst one.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    My first prerelease I got a Sorin and a Flooded Strand, got a fat pack yesterday? Sorin and Flooded Strand.

I am perfectly ok with this turn of events, I'm getting a box tommorrow and it should be interesting.

your only good rares: a single sorin and a single flooded strand

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Every now and then I'll buy two or three packs if I'm at target or Wal-Mart, or maybe after I'm done drafting on Friday nights

Fetch every single time

Typically recently for the last few sets I haven't been buying packs, usually preferring a box or just singles, but there's so much value in khans that I just can't stop

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    You know...some of us open play sets of Rakshasa Viziers and Dragon Throne of Tarkirs before we get to a second fetch land, guys...

I swear, I don't really buy boxes or packs, but I draft and win 2-8 packs every week and my trade binder has maybe 7 cards that are worth $10 or more.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.