As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen / Squadron 42 | Early Planetside Footage Released

1939495969799»

• Options
    deathsanideathsani Registered User regular
    go ahead and throw down that fifty for dreams and wishes?

Isn't this the entire premise of crowdfunding?

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Well now I feel silly for actually applying that Blue upgrade. Guess I can't rescue people and resuscitate them for a while after launch.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Unless this is coming from somewhere outside of the two posts you linked, I have no idea where the bolded interpretation is coming from.

It's later in the thread but not as obvious as the gold-text posts (It's from a PM):

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3577425/#Comment_3577425
    [5:55PM] Beer4TheBeerGod - So you guys consider the Blue to be an equivalent upgrade to the Super Hornet or Freelancer MIS?
    [5:57:47 PM] Benjamin Lesnick: Yes - there's actually one big reason it's going to be useful that no one has picked up on... but we're also avoiding spoiling.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Hopefully this backlash turns the Cutlass into the super customizable modular Sex Wendigo it's destined to be.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I can understand the search and rescue ship not getting much interest because the Cutlass could already do that role, but I'm not getting the appeal of a deep-space fighter. You won't have the firepower to deal with much alone, you won't have the cargo space to pick up anything when you get there, and you can't carry the equipment to really take advantage of what you find.

The prospect of a squadron of deep space fighter is a very sexy thing in my mind. Take along a support ship for loot if that's what you're after. Sure you can equip a jump drive on a Hornet or other fighter, but I'm assuming this one comes with a bed.

The Boarding Ship is the only other one which really seems appealing from a gameplay standpoint. Unless there's more to the Recon Craft than enhanced sensors, exploration ships could probably serve as recon vessels just as easily.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I just wish I hadn't missed the Reclaimer sale.
    If I end up changing my mind on having bought one, you can have first refusal before I investigate the LTI black market.

Woo!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3577996/#Comment_3577996
    Ben wrote:
    Read through most of the this and I haven't seen anyone ask yet but since the blue is a police ship if I buy it as a pirate will I be able to trick people into stopping for me? Is this what Ben was referring to with it's advantage? If that is the case then this would be a pretty awesome pirate ship.
    Bingo! (Well, the trojan horse part is part of it - being involved in the police mechanics in general is a big deal; I think we already stretch goal'd the ability to fly police missions.)

Fuselage wrote: »
    Well now I feel silly for actually applying that Blue upgrade. Guess I can't rescue people and resuscitate them for a while after launch.
    Put in a ticket with customer service. They're really cool and will most likely give you a refund or at least store credit while also restoring your original package, LTI included. While I think most of the Cutlass backlash is just the same old flavor of hysteria. The brochure made it seem like you could swap out the interiors of all 3 variants.

By the way, upgrade slots were dropped because they started fleshing out how the game's various systems are going to work. You'll still be able to outfit your ships in different ways, we just won't have the ability to radically alter the interiors at launch.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Hopefully this backlash turns the Cutlass into the super customizable modular Sex Wendigo it's destined to be.

I hate to be that guy* but unless you meant its a demonic half-beast creature appearing in the legends of the Algonquian peoples along the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of the United States and Canada, you probably meant Winnebago. And yes, the interior of the Cutlass definitely looks Winnebago-like, which makes sense as its supposed to be the "evil twin" of the Freelancer.

* I don't hate it at all. I am a robot programmed solely for internet pedantry. Beep.

• Options
    Sex Wendigo is going to be my band name.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3577996/#Comment_3577996
    Ben wrote:
    Read through most of the this and I haven't seen anyone ask yet but since the blue is a police ship if I buy it as a pirate will I be able to trick people into stopping for me? Is this what Ben was referring to with it's advantage? If that is the case then this would be a pretty awesome pirate ship.
    Bingo! (Well, the trojan horse part is part of it - being involved in the police mechanics in general is a big deal; I think we already stretch goal'd the ability to fly police missions.)

Depending on how it all works... that sounds really, really unfun for the 'victim'... like, holy shit obviously early days ect, but that could be a huge avenue for abuse and just sounds like way to much trouble to be even worth implementing.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Ok, so the Aurora LN is a beaut:
    pn7P0pz.jpg

But I have a question for you guys. There's something I can't quite figure out. I know I'm kinda late to this thread, so if it was answered somewhere in the first 70-or so pages I apologize, but I'm looking at the dimensions of the Aurora, and I've got the cockpit seat, and then a small entry area behind it, then the bunk section behind that, and then the cargo area directly behind that, so my question is
    where do I take a dump?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I hate to be that guy* but unless you meant its a demonic half-beast creature appearing in the legends of the Algonquian peoples along the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of the United States and Canada, you probably meant Winnebago. And yes, the interior of the Cutlass definitely looks Winnebago-like, which makes sense as its supposed to be the "evil twin" of the Freelancer.

* I don't hate it at all. I am a robot programmed solely for internet pedantry. Beep.

Don't mind the oil dripping from your olfactory sensor

That's just me slowly deconstructing you with my superior meat-brain

Fear not though! Your parts will be used to construct a throne upon which we shall dispense of our waste byproducts

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    pn7P0pz.jpg

But I have a question for you guys. There's something I can't quite figure out. I know I'm kinda late to this thread, so if it was answered somewhere in the first 70-or so pages I apologize, but I'm looking at the dimensions of the Aurora, and I've got the cockpit seat, and then a small entry area behind it, then the bunk section behind that, and then the cargo area directly behind that, so my question is
    where do I take a dump?

Let me answer your question with a question of my own:

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Heroth wrote: »
    Ben wrote:

Depending on how it all works... that sounds really, really unfun for the 'victim'... like, holy shit obviously early days ect, but that could be a huge avenue for abuse and just sounds like way to much trouble to be even worth implementing.

Honestly it sounds like fanciful Ben-dreams. It's never going to work on players, so at best it will work on NPC's who are programmed to be extra-dumb.

Also, it makes me laugh - a dedicated pirate variant is off the table but apparently Drake sells fake police cars? The whole thing sounds like a made-up on the spot answer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't see any reason to believe that in-game NPCs couldn't use Cutlass Blues.

The meta game part of that is a tough sell though. Granted, my guild successfully did something vaguely similar in Ultima Online for awhile.

I'll be content to throw stranded enemy players in my cells and either ransom them back to their org or collect their bounties. Running police missions might be fun too.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2014
    Well the lore presented says Drake already sells to most police agencies in the verse, and the blues on the market are just the very small percentage available for private sale.

So yes, NPCs will be flying blues a lot more often than players will.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I was walking around my Constellation and realized what exactly had been bugging me about the ship's design. The damn thing is just too open and spacious, and it just doesn't feel right for a ship of that size. I feel like a spaceship should be a little more compartmentalized and cramped than it is, like a submarine. I think maybe there should be a bulkhead separating the command portion of the ship with the living areas. I dunno.

Also, what the hell did they do to the bathroom?

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    I always have to laugh when I see toilet concerns. :razz:

It makes me wonder if one day on private servers we will see mods from the darkest reaches of Skyrim Nexus.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    pn7P0pz.jpg

where do I take a dump?

The aurora isn't really meant to be a long haul freighter. It's more like an in-system ship or a quick jump between systems; day trips. Like any standard day trip, make sure you go before hitting the space road because otherwise you're stuck until you get to your destination. It's a minivan, not an RV.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I need a toilet so I don't feel like a neckbeard when I'm playing Star Citizen and take a poop sock break while wearing my Oculus Rift.

I kid, I kid.

In all seriousness I like really like toilets in ships, too. They really do up the immersion factor. How often do people even stop and think about toilets in video games? It's all very post modern.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »
    Ben wrote:

Honestly it sounds like fanciful Ben-dreams. It's never going to work on players, so at best it will work on NPC's who are programmed to be extra-dumb.

Also, it makes me laugh - a dedicated pirate variant is off the table but apparently Drake sells fake police cars? The whole thing sounds like a made-up on the spot answer.
    The black will make a good pirate ship because it has a mix of firepower, loot carrying capabilities and extra people for boarding. We've been told the Cutlass is just one notch below the Hornet in terms of pew pew factor and the Hornet has almost zero cargo capacity. I'm not really sure what else a pirate ship would need. I'm also not sure where most of the discontent is coming from. Yeah, not being able to swap out interiors sucks but that seems like the only legitimate complaint I've seen so far.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    pn7P0pz.jpg

where do I take a dump?

The aurora isn't really meant to be a long haul freighter. It's more like an in-system ship or a quick jump between systems; day trips. Like any standard day trip, make sure you go before hitting the space road because otherwise you're stuck until you get to your destination. It's a minivan, not an RV.

This argument would work if it didn't already have a bed; I don't think SmokeStacks was complaining about just the lack of a toilet; lots of ships don't have one, but rather the absence of a toilet despite the presence of a bed. I'd imagine in the smallest ships you'd probably just do like modern fighter pilots do; wear adult diapers and flush them out the airlock when you're done with them. Modern astronauts also have a "space toilet" that is basically just a hose with (gentle!) suction on that you stick your junk in. For ladies or for number twos there is an... adapter. Chris Hadfield goes into some detail here, but sadly there are no pictures. The point is though, a rudimentary space toilet wouldn't take up much room, and could easily be hiding behind a panel somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUe2HcFUPSo

TLDR; In space, we vacuum out your poops with a hose.

• Options
    In space, we vacuum out your poops with a hose.

New thread title spotted...oh wait, that didn't go so well last time. :razz:

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Your statement is more accurate/true to life but I did indeed mean Wendigo.

Also, if I keep my blue I'll definitely let you players without toilets get a ride on my ship with a bounty of toilets. I'm just going to lock the doors so you don't seev me plotting a course for Slaver Planet XI.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    deathsanideathsani Registered User regular
    So, I am really hoping that I can kit out a herald with racing shit because I have a strong inclination towards secret racing. The Baker system sounds like a hoot.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well, I got my Combatstick and Pro Pedals today. Pro Throttle comes Friday, hopefully.

The pedals are nice, but they're sliding around a bit on my carpet. I have some solutions in mind. The Combatstick is nice but I wish it was heavier. Tried flying around some but I really want to wait until I get the throttle before I start figuring out how to spacefly, lest I develop some bad muscle memory.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I really like the sound of that repair ship! Sounds neat!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I'm thinking that if the Aurora really was a short hop only type of ship it wouldn't have a bed, since the Mustang is the "alternate starter" ship and it doesn't have one. If it wasn't designed for slightly longer trips than the bunkspace would have been much better utilized for additional cargo.

I was making a joke about spacedumps, but I assumed it would be something similar to a modern small boat toilet enclosed behind wall panels. Just don't do it in orbit if you're shy, since you're basically surrounded by windows.

I wonder what sort of role fish will play in the game. I read that some species will be "rarer" than others. Ecological smuggling of endangered species for ultra-rich collectors could mean big bucks.

I hope there is some form of cargo other than the stor-all regular and mini boxes. There is a decent amount of space behind the seat in the cockpit of the Mustang Omega. Let me mount a jump drive to it and put a small pressurized tank of rare animals there and then use those racing thrusters to move fast enough in-system to evade the authorities before landing and selling them to some rich player for display in their Revel & York fishtank.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Well, I got my Combatstick and Pro Pedals today. Pro Throttle comes Friday, hopefully.

The pedals are nice, but they're sliding around a bit on my carpet. I have some solutions in mind. The Combatstick is nice but I wish it was heavier. Tried flying around some but I really want to wait until I get the throttle before I start figuring out how to spacefly, lest I develop some bad muscle memory.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/chair-mats-for-carpet/N=5+501496/

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I wonder what sort of role fish will play in the game. I read that some species will be "rarer" than others. Ecological smuggling of endangered species for ultra-rich collectors could mean big bucks.

I want to pick up a fish in one world and dump it in the ocean of another, disrupting the second world's ecological system and causing planet-wide catastrophes.

I will be a inter-space space-villain, name The Fishmonger.

imperialparadox on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I want to pick up a fish in one world and dump it in the ocean of another, disrupting the second world's ecological system and causing planet-wide catastrophes.

I'll call you Ol' Fishhands.

Edit: Unrelated, but I think it would be cool if the hospital ship had single person healing pods that double as escape pods...that triple as drop pods for an assault force on an unsuspecting planet.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/chair-mats-for-carpet/N=5+501496/

I got one of those and then got some used some sticky velcro on it and the pedals. Works great.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm thinking that if the Aurora really was a short hop only type of ship it wouldn't have a bed, since the Mustang is the "alternate starter" ship and it doesn't have one. If it wasn't designed for slightly longer trips than the bunkspace would have been much better utilized for additional cargo.

I was making a joke about spacedumps, but I assumed it would be something similar to a modern small boat toilet enclosed behind wall panels. Just don't do it in orbit if you're shy, since you're basically surrounded by windows.

I hope there is some form of cargo other than the stor-all regular and mini boxes. There is a decent amount of space behind the seat in the cockpit of the Mustang Omega. Let me mount a jump drive to it and put a small pressurized tank of rare animals there and then use those racing thrusters to move fast enough in-system to evade the authorities before landing and selling them to some rich player for display in their Revel & York fishtank.
    Hey man... back off. I've already claimed fish acquisitions. It's already in my job description on the Shamesheet. :P Go find another critter... like flopets. :hydra: :D

I'm okay with this, so long as you give the corp a heads up, as it will increase the value of native aquatic acquisitions from the ecologically mangled planet.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    I'd tell you to shove it and start the first interstallar fish turf war, but you have more ships and bigger guns than I do.

Is there going to be any benefit to orgs, other than RP stuff and group safety?