As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Oh yeah, that's another thing thing to note; not only with we have the four bombcasters, but unless something goes wrong, we'll have Patrick, Alex and Vinnie too. I wonder if they'll bring in Jason or Rorie as well.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    The really need to qualify "Most disappointing" by adding "if you bought into the PR and marketing hype".

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    The really need to qualify "Most disappointing" by adding "if you bought into the PR and marketing hype".

Who gives a shit about PR and Marketing

Destiny is The New Game From Bungie

The Halo people are making their first Not Halo in over a decade

That's A Big Deal regardless of what spending a big corporation does to tell you it's a big deal

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well if you never look forward to anything, nothing will ever disappoint you, true. That's a rather dull way to live though.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Well yeah, you can only be disappointed if you were hyped up to a position to be disappointed from. If you weren't hyped up for Destiny at all then you'd be like "yup, that's what I expected" rather than being "well that's disappointing!"

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    You can look forward to a thing without consuming every bit of marketing devoted to it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The hacking stuff in Watch_Dogs may be the most incredibly wasted gameplay mechanic I've seen in recent memory

Like, the "cool" stuff where you're essentially solving puzzles with it is super few and far between. Mostly, it's just hey I'm being chased by cops, I need to keep driving around until I get a button prompt to blow up all the cars behind me.

Watch_Dogs feels like part of a good game, the CTOS towers being maybe the best example of when that game feels like it's at its strongest, grafted onto a bad generic open world.

Also the main character makes you look back at GTA and say "You know what? Maybe these Rockstar protagonists aren't really all that bad"

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    You can look forward to a thing without consuming every bit of marketing devoted to it.

In fact people who are the most excited about a thing tend to be the most likely to go on a complete marketing black-out to preserve the experience.

• Options
    I like the logic puzzles for hacking (but then I also liked the hacking puzzles in BioShock), and I'm not going to lie - even if it was easy it was satisfying to blow up a steam pipe to take out pursuers when in the middle of a pursuit. I don't care if the magic iPhone doesn't really work that way - I care that I was having a good time while I played and Watch_Dogs gave me a fun ride.

It was also fun to throw out an IED, then a lure, and then finally get rid of the damned heavy every time I found one. Great combination of items available there.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    When you were solving puzzles, the game was fine, like I said. The problem is that there wasn't NEARLY enough of that. And even then all too often solving a puzzle was followed by "Oh hey now that alerted some people so shoot all these dudes because we can't decide what the tone of this game is supposed to be."

As for steam pipes, I had fun like, twice, blowing up cars behind me.

And then you get different upgrades for your hacking, and the illusion fades and you realize "Hey, these are all literally just doing the same thing. I'm hitting a button to blow up all the cars behind me." And maybe it's just me, but I was never able to escape pursuit without just driving around until I saw a button pop up on my screen so I could blow them up. The rubber banding was so bad that you could never just get away from them and hide or something.

• Options
    I managed to actually get away a couple of times, but it was always in a sports car. Cops and baddies could outrun me in pretty much everything else.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You know what would've been awesome?

Watch_dogs as a adventure/puzzle game by the Ghost Trick crew.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know what would've been awesome?

Watch_dogs as a adventure/puzzle game by the Ghost Trick crew.

I mean, I would totally take a Watch_Dogs that is actually about fucking with your proto-cyberpunk environments on a large scale in an open world

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    In fact my most disappointing game this year is one that I basically ignored all the marketing and gameplay previews of. I was looking forward to it based purely off of who was making it, which didn't turn out so well for me.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Brad is absolutely going to try and squeeze Destiny in at 9 or 10 let's not kid ourselves here

In a strong year, yea, maybe brad wouldn't try.

This year is not that. It's certainly not as grim as it was for 8 months, but still ain't great. There will be plenty of "10 better games than destiny" comments coming up :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    But I think we can all agree, Biggest Surprise will be Wolfenstein or Divinity: Original Sin.

Or Deception IV.

• Options
    Shadow of Mordor?

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    But I think we can all agree, Biggest Surprise will be Wolfenstein or Divinity: Original Sin.

Or Deception IV.
    Yeah, as much as Mordor took us all by surprise, there really is no beating "Woah, the new Wolfenstien has a pretty good story. Who saw that one coming? UH, yeah, really! Stop laughing, I'm serious! Guys? Where are you going? Seriously! It's pretty good!"

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Can you goobers stop talking about Dan's health? It's a really weird fixation you all have, and he's a grown-ass man who can stuff himself full of cheese until he dies if he so pleases.

Ryan was a big man, and so is Jeff, but everyone had the decency not to morbidly speculate on when their bodies would shut down.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Watching the Borderlands Pre-Sequel QL and I got a hint of just how disappointed Jeff is with Destiny when he listed off the stuff he wanted the next Borderlands to have and it is all stuff Destiny has. I think Destiny was just so close to what Jeff wanted that it not pulling it off really annoyed him.

• Options
    Can you goobers stop talking about Dan's health? It's a really weird fixation you all have, and he's a grown-ass man who can stuff himself full of cheese until he dies if he so pleases.

Ryan was a big man, and so is Jeff, but everyone had the decency not to morbidly speculate on when their bodies would shut down.

This is how I plan to go out

• Options

I don't think anyone talked about anyone dying; just when Dan's metabolism is going to get to the point where it can't handle the eccentric diet he frequently (frequently frequently) talks about on twitter and on the Bombcast.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

I don't think anyone talked about anyone dying; just when Dan's metabolism is going to get to the point where it can't handle the eccentric diet he frequently (frequently frequently) talks about on twitter and on the Bombcast.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

This is kind of overreacting. In the context of the thread it was just people comparing what age they themselves had to stop eating like Dan. It's not like a Dan death pool or something.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    You know who I feel real real bad for?

Harmonix

Fantasia is out TOMORROW and I think Disney has done barely any marketing for it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I think the bigger part about why Destiny is so disappointing doesn't have anything to do with marketing

Rather, it's what the marketing didn't say

This was a very mysterious game, top to bottom. Until E3 this year, it seemed like a lot of people weren't even quite sure what game it was.

Right up until release week, you had quotes from Bungie saying it's "their biggest game yet" (which might technically be true) and people wondering what crazy settings and missions they'd uncover beyond what was seen in the beta

The answer was basically: a raid and not much else.

I like Destiny a whole bunch, but it's got so many problems, and it is absolutely the most disappointing game of the year for me, as I gave up any real hope on Watch Dogs a few months before release.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    A lot of people fucking love Destiny, in spite of all it's faults.

• Options
    I think it's fascinating that Destiny is still as big as it is because it means people must be hungry as fuck for the elements it does contain. Namely leveling up your space warrior/ranger/wizard in an rpg fps with a Bungie high sci-fi aesthetic. Kind of a refreshing change from Call of Duty being the de facto kind of the hill. I'm wondering if Bungie still has time to salvage it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, wait, the biggest disappointment has to be the Kinect.

Since by the time they announce that they're putting out interesting games for it, they cut it from being bundled with the system.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    the kinect has been a four year constant disappointment so i'm not sure it's eligible

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kinect was the biggest disappointment of the year if you were developing games for the kinect because oh fuck.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Crayon wrote: »
    Fair enough. I disagree, but you've already positioned yourself in the camp that whatever I say or could say is wrong so there is no point.
    The hypocrisy of saying "I disagree" and offering no further explanation after criticizing someone for saying something without embellishing further is just incredible. If this is the way you argue a point, then I recommend you stop.

Also, it's Anita fucking Sarkeesian: she has a YouTube channel full of her own proposed solutions.

Because the post preceding mine said no more talk on it and I complied.

You'll have to link me these solutions because I just see someone saying there's a problem in games when it comes to the roles women play.

I didn't want to argue a point, so I stopped. That's pretty evident.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    That is one thing I'll say about Dan; so long as you're not Jose Canseco, he's a pretty nice guy.

I met him at PAX prime and took pictures with him and he was really friendly! Both he and Jeff stopped to talk after a panel and it was great to meet them both

• Options
    august wrote: »

This is kind of overreacting. In the context of the thread it was just people comparing what age they themselves had to stop eating like Dan. It's not like a Dan death pool or something.

Yeah, sorry, what he said. I thought that was clear.

You don't die because you metabolism changes; you just have to either change your diet or have a miserable time.

• Options
    brad's pretty sleepy you guys, do you think he has a crippling alcoholism problem

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I think Shadows of Mordor is most surprising because everyone thought it was going to be bad, and it turned out a GOTY contender that everyone on the staff liked to various degrees. There wasn't really the one big indiegame this year like in earlier years. (Unless they give it to Gang Beasts or Mount Your Friends but that seems too much of a stretch) .Only 1 person played Divinity, and while Patrick liked it, he isn't going to fight for it. South Park could've been a contender if more people played it, after the whole THQ saga that game turned out to be really funny and fun to play.

I will put Drive Club in the mix for being a Most Disappointing, though it probably won't win it will be mentioned for sure.

The year seems short on standout games. There were a ton of quality games but few things that got everyone talking, and if I look at the upcoming games, that seems unlikely to change. AC:U seems to be the only possible game that could be way better than expected.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    EDIT: Nevermind, we were told to quit discussing this and I've said my piece already.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Who thought Mordor was going to be bad

Ever since they first showed footage of what the game actually was, it's been looking rad

And then they released it and it was even better

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh, wait, the biggest disappointment has to be the Kinect.

Since by the time they announce that they're putting out interesting games for it, they cut it from being bundled with the system.

I'm honestly not sure the Kinect was ever going to have software that would justify it. They've had years at it and consistently failed at everything they did bar the wonderful Dance Central. Given that the worst reviewed game on current gen consoles is probably still Fighter Within (been a while since I last checked mind) I don't think we've lost anything by Microsoft dumping the Kinect.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think Watch_Dogs and Titanfall have the benefit of coming earlier in the year and thus not being as fresh in people's minds as Destiny. Watch_Dogs was a huge disappointment to a lot of people because it was supposed to be the next revolution in gaming, when it turned out to be a pretty generic open world shooter with an ultimately interesting gimmick.

People were hugely high on Titanfall as being the evolution of first person shooters. People even loved playing it when it came out, and then...people weren't playing it anymore. For reasons many people can't articulate, the game just stopped being compelling after a certain point. Titanfall will end up being kind of a fps footnote.

Godus was a huge disappointment, although I think people stopped trusting Molyneux a long time ago. Wildstar has been one of the most quickly abandoned MMOs ever (maybe?) despite high reviews. Thief? Dungeon Keeper iOS? There are plenty of games that I feel were more disappointing than Destiny this year.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
This discussion has been closed.