As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ammaline's doodle thread, no Wassers allowed!

• AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Annnnd puppy doodles

I'm trying to draw things that aren't just adventure girls and fanart! Just warm up pups, but still

eyskez0wu4n5.jpg

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • mechapopmechapop webcomic artist/musician Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Love this so much. As a huge fan of Gobelins French animation student and modern digital French animation I could more than see some of these sketches as the basis for animated shorts. There's a meditative whimsy relaxing quality to even the action shots which is a fun balance. I always love art that captures appreciating small moments/living in the moment, but done with an imaginative flair. Amazing Miyazaki tribute pieces as well.

Slap Zappy daily gamer/geek webcomic
    http://slapzappy.tumblr.com/
    slapzforumbanner1.png
    mechapop wrote: »
    Love this so much. As a huge fan of Gobelins French animation student and modern digital French animation I could more than see some of these sketches as the basis for animated shorts. There's a meditative whimsy relaxing quality to even the action shots which is a fun balance. I always love art that captures appreciating small moments/living in the moment, but done with an imaginative flair. Amazing Miyazaki tribute pieces as well.

Thank you so much--I really appreciate your very flattering comment! You put a big smile on my face!

I did some d&d character sketches today, but there are two theives I thought were more successful:

nlpix1dwt6nb.jpg

3fa6dnbmqd9a.jpg

My art tumblr
    edited September 2014
    26ogl43lpdz1.jpg

I could draw boots all day and never get tired of it

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like you could really push your stylizing in some places. Like in the dogs and the ladies, I feel like you are going all curves or all angles sometimes, it would be nice to see you really balance both:
    upd9yzynq4cs.jpg

Your style is already so cute and charming, it could probably benefit from some pretty extreme attention to detail when it comes to shape language

@‌ I've been feeling like I need to push the proportions on people more lately, I'll try and keep this in mind! I've done it some, usually just with action poses and things--a lot of times my stuff is really schwoopy unless I actively make things sharper.

I want to do something with my art lately, but I don't know what :expressionless: it's a weird feeling. I'm sure you all can relate!

My art tumblr
  • mechapopmechapop webcomic artist/musician Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ammaline wrote: »
    @‌ I've been feeling like I need to push the proportions on people more lately, I'll try and keep this in mind! I've done it some, usually just with action poses and things--a lot of times my stuff is really schwoopy unless I actively make things sharper.

I want to do something with my art lately, but I don't know what :expressionless: it's a weird feeling. I'm sure you all can relate!

I know what you mean! I was so focused on doing animated shorts the last few years, I almost forgot what it was like to do hand drawn sketches and other organic art stuff. So this year I've been sketching/drawing nonstop,
    but then recently I hit this existential crisis point of, what now? I don't even know how to begin to try and wiggle into the over saturated game design field or design companies, tho self publishing print stuff is something I've thought about. I really like having art tables selling comic zines at conventions. Haha, I love that word "schwoopy", reminds me of a word I use ("foobly") to describe odd wonky ways of making things.
    But yeah sometimes there's allll this inspiration, and even motivation...but then continuing the evolution in one's style or wanting to spread thin with this or that other project can get in the way.

mechapop on
    slapzforumbanner1.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    Ammaline I love that little rat
    I love it like a sibling

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    Ammaline I love that little rat
    I love it like a sibling

I agree with this, and I love my siblings. It heavily reminds me of my old Brian Jacques books.

@Tam , @Prospicience‌

You have no idea how happy that makes me, that's exactly what I was going for. I was really thinking about Redwall and Secrets of Nihm, but I also didn't want to look them up and have them overtly impact what I was drawing, since I'm trying to figure a few things out right now and didn't want to lean on other visuals. So the fact that you picked up on it makes me very very happy indeed!

My art tumblr
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I was definitely thinking Redwall when I saw the mouse, so much that now I just want to see you do a Badger Lord smashing a Weasel with a giant log or something.

Scosglen on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    these are awesome

i love how much you captured on the dogs with so few lines

obF2Wuw.png
    edited September 2014
    lzz196kqop1x.jpg

Bluuuue

I thought about what to put on the posters, but I wasn't really sure and then I got lazy. Any ideas? Or just leave them?

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I like the posters simple and abstract - I think they call less attention that way and put more focus on the gal and her little bottles of polish.

NightDragon on
    lzz196kqop1x.jpg

Bluuuue

I thought about what to put on the posters, but I wasn't really sure and then I got lazy. Any ideas? Or just leave them?

In my comics/illustrations, I love putting band posters up. So any bands youre into you could have them or even a vague sketchy album cover.

slapzforumbanner1.png
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Agree with ND, any more and they would become focal by detail.
    I think she could do with a bit more black on the nails, at this size it's very hard to see that she has any at all. Also, I'm assuming the stuff above Totoro's head is nail polish swishing out of the bottle? If so I would probably have a small streak crossing through the light ray. It's bugging me that the light separates it from the bottle, and makes it appear as if it's stains on the wall. It almost seems like it's just floating there. I guess you'd also have to shift the ray a bit then.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    These are beautiful.

edited October 2014
    Easier to just move the polish! I actually had it in the light a bit before funnily enough, because I had that same thought, but then I moved the light and then not the polish like the smart lady I am

vnr9hca7smp9.jpg

@Liiya‌ Thank you! I mentioned above I'm having kind of a funk at the moment, so that makes me really happy to hear right now!

@mechapop‌ I thought band ones might be cute/funny, but I guess I'll leave them for now! I had thought boy bands--joke ones, or from Bob's Burgers or something 'Boyz 4 now!' and stuff like that! Maybe I'll do another room soon where they would fit better. I'm trying to not skip interiors!

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
    qhmqhb4vl2pp.jpg

My art tumblr
    edited October 2014
    vkro7so37dbh.jpg

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
    edited October 2014
    4lvzwku1mra7.jpg

Room for more on the Halloween bandwagon?

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    hot damn

ygtcbohug01s.jpg

My art tumblr
    edited October 2014
    l5b1mqcefll4.jpg

Just a doodle! In my head she's sewing a costume for Halloween!

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    vkro7so37dbh.jpg

I love this one, it feels so ... 101 dalmations-era disney. Or some of the more art-deco-inspired WB shorts.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Ammaline! You are, like, really good at art!

Have you considered becoming an artist??!?1!1

edited October 2014
    Ammaline! You are, like, really good at art!

Have you considered becoming an artist??!?1!1

You know when someone asks you to do art for them for dirt cheap or free, because they have a cousin or something that will totally do it for them?

I really just want to be that cousin, and slowly ruin other artists lives!

Ammaline on
    My art tumblr
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    l5b1mqcefll4.jpg

cannot even deal with how cute this is and also is basically what I'm doing for the next two weeks.
    *nodnod*

l5b1mqcefll4.jpg

cannot even deal with how cute this is and also is basically what I'm doing for the next two weeks.
    *nodnod*

I saw your crazy sweet blaster! I wish I was crafty! I want to do Halloween this year, but no parties and no costume makes things tough :snap:

My art tumblr
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    l5b1mqcefll4.jpg

*nodnod*

I saw your crazy sweet blaster! I wish I was crafty! I want to do Halloween this year, but no parties and no costume makes things tough :snap:

aw! I came up with a weird costume that I'm really happy with/gung ho about, so I'm making my own fun this year even though it seems like a lot of my friends are feeling kinda "meh" on Halloween this year :/ (wtf, people, it's on a Friday!)

I say make something and have fun, even if it's just "wear a funny hat to work" or something!

l5b1mqcefll4.jpg

*nodnod*

aw! I came up with a weird costume that I'm really happy with/gung ho about, so I'm making my own fun this year even though it seems like a lot of my friends are feeling kinda "meh" on Halloween this year :/ (wtf, people, it's on a Friday!)

I say make something and have fun, even if it's just "wear a funny hat to work" or something!

Haha, I work at home, so it would just be me sitting at home with the dog in a costume.

...Although that doesn't sound that bad! Since I can't sew I was looking at bought costumes, just in case a party springs up, and they have Rockford Peach costumes from a league of their own that just looked so cute!

What are you making for yourself with your skillful skills?

My art tumblr
    l5b1mqcefll4.jpg

*nodnod*

Haha, I work at home, so it would just be me sitting at home with the dog in a costume.

...Although that doesn't sound that bad! Since I can't sew I was looking at bought costumes, just in case a party springs up, and they have Rockford Peach costumes from a league of their own that just looked so cute!

What are you making for yourself with your skillful skills?

It's kind of a long story but I work at a shop where we have a number of life-sized replicas of Star Wars characters, which used to be hoarded in my boss's office where no one could really see them... and then he decided to move all of it out onto the shop floor near my work space. So I rewatched the original trilogy recently and fell back in love with it and am totally a twelve-year-old, etc

So I decided I'm rigging up my desk to look vaguely like the Millenium Falcon, dressing up my shop cat as Chewbacca, and dressing up as Han Solo
    because I like really messing with people's expectations on Halloween
    (also because outfits I happen to know I look bad in include: all-white dresses, brass bikinis)

@tapeslinger‌ Can I come work with you in this magical land of life sized star wars characters? I'll totally be ambassador princess Leia and follow you around being snappy and telling your cat to get out of my way!

My art tumblr
    Also how did I not mention it but basically Geena Davis is one of my favorite actresses so a Rockford Peach uniform would be freaking cool fyi

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    The femininity is off the fem-scale. I friggin adore everything in this thread, it makes me want to pick up a pencil/stylus/whatever again.

Mustang wrote: »
    The femininity is off the fem-scale. I friggin adore everything in this thread, it makes me want to pick up a pencil/stylus/whatever again.

Thank you! That's a very nice thing to read :snap:

dbrtz9uct2za.jpg

My art tumblr
    brxwsi6ut9rk.jpg

So cranky

My art tumblr
    Some quick guys/d&d peoples!

quz3c41k8nmq.jpg
    68wmxk3zq7om.jpg

My art tumblr
    Yet another!

I'm starting to get christmas card requests from etsy already, but I'd rather get them now I suppose! Just don't be shocked when suddenly there are a lot of people decorating trees and mistletoe start popping up in here :pop:

117fctvw757r.jpg

Wolf.jpg 137.3K
    My art tumblr