As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Did anyone on Giant Bomb play Lords of Shadow 2

Did anyone but me in the whole world have expectations for that game

dN0T6ur.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I remember Vinny played it on a UPF

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    And yeah, I was hoping it would be good too. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one after picking it up during a Steam sale.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Who thought Mordor was going to be bad

Ever since they first showed footage of what the game actually was, it's been looking rad

And then they released it and it was even better

Everybody?

It was a licensed game that looked like it was just aping (pretty blatantly) two other popular games, and there was a LOT of skepticism for the nemesis system, even the giant bomb guys were still skeptical about it after they played it at E3.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Godus came out?!

Still says Early Access on Steam..

It's been on Steam since September.. of 2013.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Godus came out?!

Well, somewhat. It had an iOS release this year.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I only mention Dan's health in terms of me being jealous.

Yeah, remember the first time we saw Mordor and the hubub was that it looked like Lord of the Assassin's Creed? Then at one point some guys from Ubi were saying that too much of it looked like animations aped directly from AC to be just coincedence?

I seriously expected Mordor to be another "also ran" LOTR licensed game.

Now I'm looking at some other games wishing they would implement the Nemesis system.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • JarsJars Registered User regular

Ever since they first showed footage of what the game actually was, it's been looking rad

the entirety of the GB crew

which is pretty important in the context of this thread

Jars wrote: »

And this particular discussion!

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

And this particular discussion!

I immediately dismissed it as poor man's Assassin's Creed and Batman in LotR because that is how it was marketed, unless you specifically dug into it and watched the extra stuff about the Nemesis system.

And I am so fucking glad I was wrong. Like, CivBE is going to be the one game that could knock Shadows down for me.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Did anyone on Giant Bomb play Lords of Shadow 2

Did anyone but me in the whole world have expectations for that game

Vinny did

Vinny is the most positive person on the planet

Even Vinny thought Lords of Shadow 2 sucked

6F32U1X.png
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I'm probably too cynical in my old age to be making any kind of best/worst GOTY lists.

I don't get hype for anything anymore. I'm a huge Dragon Age nerd, and I barely give a shit that there's a new one coming next month.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    So my wife is making me play through Evil Within, and I'm hating every second of it. However, I am pleased to see Patrick completely miss the keys in the opening and get slaughtered, because that is exactly what happened to me. Thanks, camera that is way too close.

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

Everybody?

It was a licensed game that looked like it was just aping (pretty blatantly) two other popular games, and there was a LOT of skepticism for the nemesis system, even the giant bomb guys were still skeptical about it after they played it at E3.
    I have a sneaking suspicion this will be baller, and everyone will say, "Who expected that?", and I'll say "ME."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140S4LkQxxA

Also knew:
    -That Wolfenstein would be very cool.
    -Watch Dogs would be butts.
    -Destiny had no heart.

True Fax.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I'm probably too cynical in my old age to be making any kind of best/worst GOTY lists.

I don't get hype for anything anymore. I'm a huge Dragon Age nerd, and I barely give a shit that there's a new one coming next month.

I dunno man, that multiplayer looks pretty hot

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    People were hugely high on Titanfall as being the evolution of first person shooters. People even loved playing it when it came out, and then...people weren't playing it anymore. For reasons many people can't articulate, the game just stopped being compelling after a certain point. Titanfall will end up being kind of a fps footnote.

It's pretty decent (easily better than the CoD's), although I think it totally didn't have enough content in a multi-player-only game for the price tag.

And, y'know, being forced to use Origin for it. And no real post-release support with new content unless you pay for it.

And it taking up FIFTY GIGS of disk space.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Vinny has also not played a game since he moved to NYC, so I would actually be surprised if he were on the GOTY discussions at all

Cementing 2014 as Most Disappointing

With Destiny a close second

It's been a bummer not having Vinny on the cast

His last episode was the last time I heard his voice

Ceno wrote: »
    Vinny has also not played a game since he moved to NYC, so I would actually be surprised if he were on the GOTY discussions at all

Cementing 2014 as Most Disappointing

With Destiny a close second

I asked Alex about how they were planning on doing GotY stuff this year and apparently the studio they're moving into has a video teleconference system that can tie into the SanFran office, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't show up simply because it'll be fairly convenient (in theory) despite the distance.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

huh? He does (semi) regular quicklooks with Alex.

which I have to say are pretty good. Usually Alex is a super negative nancy about most things but having Vinnys happy go lucky persona to bounce off makes him actually pretty interesting

J3qcnBP.png
    Oh yeah I know

But I only listen to the Bombcast

Dan has been an incredibly solid replacement though

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Crayon was warned for this.
    brad's pretty sleepy you guys, do you think he has a crippling alcoholism problem

Who knows, but I know you're being an asshole right now. There's plenty of people in here who get passes to make personal assessments of the entire gb staff, some far more absurd and heinous than my one comment based on personal experience and life. Apologies for offending your sensibilities.

Crayon on
    fRAWRst wrote: »

huh? He does (semi) regular quicklooks with Alex.

which I have to say are pretty good. Usually Alex is a super negative nancy about most things but having Vinnys happy go lucky persona to bounce off makes him actually pretty interesting
    I love Alex and Vinny together, especially in open world games (like their Shadow of Mordor look). Alex having to wrangle Vinny into doing things while Vinny chases flowers is pretty awesome.

There should be a new catagory this year: worst e-mail trend.

Delivery people stories were earlier this year, right?
    Then the poop stories
    Then the beef

Special mention for all "Ryckert did WHAT now?" e-mails.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    vinny needs to filibuster for velvet sundown

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Then the poop stories
    Then the beef

You just listed all of my favorite topics of discussion from the bombcast this year.

Also: fuck arkansas.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

Then the poop stories
    Then the beef

You just listed all of my favorite topics of discussion from the bombcast this year.

Well, I meant "worst" in sort of the "best worst" way.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Then the poop stories
    Then the beef

Look, the poop stories gave us this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmVmoDgkhfw

You don't say an unkind word about poop emails

I'm pretty sure that came from Vinny saying he'd piss his pants if something got announced, and had nothing to do with poop emails.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    the beef saga was pretty great at its peak

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Brad will push for it, if only so that he can say his bit on why he's enjoyed it. He'll probably concede without too much bitterness afterwards though and settle for having it in his own list

He'll stick up for it in the opening rounds, then pull a Joker and join the blanket party when it gets down to the the last couple eliminations before top ten.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    the beef saga was pretty great at its peak

E-Mail: I know you don't want to just make this an Australian beef podcast
    Jeff: That's where you're WRONG

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    The whole thing made me a bit self conscious about wearing sandals for a good while.

Thankfully the weather here will permit just a few more Flip Flop Fridays :biggrin:

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Dan's last words will be Fox and he'll be really mad if whoever he's with doesn't say die.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what if instead he screams "the dan....THE DAN!"

liEt3nH.png
    I'm pretty sure that came from Vinny saying he'd piss his pants if something got announced, and had nothing to do with poop emails.

Actually damn you're right it was Brad talking about a new Red Dead

And then it became a severely uncomfortable poop email afterward

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think Destiny is disappointing more because of what was promised leading up to it and what was ultimately delivered.

Watch_Dogs is a much more disappointing overall product. What is in Destiny for the most part is mostly fun, it just severely lacks in content for something with so many MMO hooks.

Watch_Dogs is a game without a soul.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Patrick particularly hated Watch_dogs. I'm sure he votes for it over Destiny as most disappointing.

I dunno. Patrick and Alex have talked about Destiny being sort of....there, on the morning show. Patrick said the game was kinda fun, but boring, and immediately lost a ton of its allure when he stopped playing for a week due to life stuff and all of a sudden all of his friends he played with were too high of a level to play with anymore. So as long as Patrick/Alex don't love Destiny, they won't fight too hard for it to not get Most Disappointing, even if they thought Watch Dogs was poop.

Again, as said on this week's Bombcast, Destiny has soundly beaten Watch Dogs to be the current reigning Most Disappointing title of 2014. Even Brad is reluctant to disagree, as much as he loves to hate and hates to love Destiny.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Can you goobers stop talking about Dan's health? It's a really weird fixation you all have, and he's a grown-ass man who can stuff himself full of cheese until he dies if he so pleases.

Ryan was a big man, and so is Jeff, but everyone had the decency not to morbidly speculate on when their bodies would shut down.

I mean, I think unless the appearance of a Bombcast members improves, we could easily have a moratorium on discussions like this. For example, Jeff has looked quite trim lately. He's still a big guy, obviously, but in recent years he has gotten a lot less plump. Not bad for a 38-39 year old dude who spends most of his days sitting, whether it's in a commute, to play games, or to work at a computer.

Such a rule would prevent discussions about Brad's weight gain and other unseemly subjects (though I will say I enjoy Brad with a fresh haircut. Pre-public appearance Brad is always a bit moppy)

I think talking about Dan's diet is okay as it relates to forumers and their own personal death clocks. Dan is a marvel of modern medicine. Diamond Dallas Page should start using him as a spokesman for DDP Yoga if one can live the way he does and not only survive, but thrive (I think Dan has said he has the all clear from his doctors)

As you can tell, I've thought about this lately. Might be because I watched the most recent GameOverGreggy show and the guest was Veronica Belmont, who said that several years ago someone Tweeted that she had gotten fat and how that stuck with her even though she clearly isn't fat, nor has she ever really been fat.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
This discussion has been closed.