As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aristo-Maze] Japanese dungeon attack boardgame from investment strategy! Round One!

2»

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I CHOSE not to explore the dungeon. I'm just that outrageous.

2bJVue.gif
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The Assassin
    1HP, 1MP, 0SP
    Power: (Organising) You assassinate the character with your intrigue marker. The assassinated character is removed from the auction, and all markers on it are returned to the common pools. Note that you cannot assassinate a character that has already been won in the auction, as your intrigue marker will have been discarded when it was won.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) Your party breaks 'The Gate'.
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The Thief
    1HP, 1MP, 0SP
    Power: (Exploring) Your party takes no damage from 'Trap' and breaks 'The Gate'.
    Crest Power: (Organising) You steal the character with your intrigue marker on it. The character is removed from the auction, and all markers on it are returned to the common pools. Note that you cannot steal a character that has already been won in the auction, as your intrigue marker will have been discarded when it was won.
    oEovlr.gif

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Rules. Is it when the party is reduced to zero in a stat they run, or beyond zero?

If the former am I right in thinking that a party starting stat of one might as well be zero seeing as any attack on that stat is going to knock either of them out?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Reduced to zero. Your squire simply ensures that you aren't defeated as soon as you step into the dungeon.

edited October 2014
    Ah yes the Squire! Forgot him. The menial classes do somewhat merge in ones mind sometimes.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Round One
    Organising Phase Opening Bids

We've tabulated the numbers, noble sirs and ladies, and here are the results.

AUYCCBQ.png?1

My, Wizard, you're certainly popular today! Is it the beard? Quite luxurious, really, what do you use to keep it so shiny and soft? Hm? Oh, never mind, I'll ask you later.

Now that you all know where your general interests lie, it's time for the second round of bidding!

All players must submit their bids. There is no upper or lower limit on how many gold, intrigue or crests you may place at this point.

CURRENT TREASURIES
    House Jam: 5 gold, 0 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip
    House Drenn: 7 gold, 0 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip
    House Depredis: 6 gold, 0 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip
    House Wyrd: 8 gold, 1 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip

simonwolf on
    Hello noble friends!

Sorry about the delay - I am waiting for a final confirmation of bid from one player, but have been otherwise occupied due to a bout of food poisoning that left me unable to do much except writhe around in my bed, waiting for the sweet embrace of death

I'll (hopefully!) have the final bids in by morning my time

edited October 2014
    Round One
    Organising Phase Conclusion

All bids are in? Wonderful, wonderful, now let's see who's hiring who...

zs5o7qp.png?1

The Hermit is bid on by nobody, and goes to nobody. Sorry, buddy! Maybe next time your talents will be more appreciated.

The Assassin is tied between House Jam and House Drenn, and goes to nobody. Shame, but the Priestess certainly looks relieved...

The Knight is bid on by House Wyrd, and goes to House Wyrd. His shield shall serve you well!

The Wizard is... goodness, 15 gold between the houses? But House Depredis bid a Crest, and breaks the tie between themselves and House Drenn. The Wizard goes to House Depredis! Such a powerful beard...

The Berserker is bid on by Jam, Depredis, and Wyrd, but the tie is broken in House Jam's favour. Try not to break the door on your way out, 'Zerk.

The Samurai is bid on by House Wyrd, and goes to House Wyrd. Thank goodness, he'd probably commit seppuku all over my clean floors if he'd ended up like the Hermit.

The Minstrel is tied between Jam and Drenn, and goes to nobody. I smell a rivalry between these two houses brewing, at this rate.

The Alchemist suffers the same sad fate as the Hermit. At least you can keep each other company?

The Thief is bid on by Drenn, Depredis and Wyrd, but ends up tied, and goes to nobody. The Boy is probably relieved he didn't end up kidnapped, though.

The Priestess is bid on by Jam, Drenn and Depredis, and is won by House Drenn.

The Witch is bid on by House Depredis, and goes to House Depredis! Lone bidding certainly has its advantages.

The Boy is bid on by House Jam only, in terms of gold, and as such goes to House Jam. A crest as well, though? Well, let's hope there's a legacy floor to take advantage of.

That's it, noble sirs and ladies! Failed bids are returned, so you'll have a little extra spending money next round.

Here's the final parties for each house, and any special powers...

House Jam - Berserker (Crest), Boy (Crest). Must set Return at 5th floor or deeper. +1 to all stats. No damage from Emperor's Specter. +3 VP from 'Legacy' floors. 5HP/2MP/5SP.
    House Drenn - Priestess. 1HP/3MP/1SP.
    House Depredis - Wizard (Crest). Witch. MP goes to infinity. Auto-skips any 'Creepy' floors. 2HP/3MP/2SP.
    House Wyrd - Knight, Samurai. Loses a skip marker. 5HP/4MP/1SP.

Next stop will be the tomb, I assume?

Good hunting.

CURRENT TREASURIES
    House Jam: 4 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Drenn: 9 gold, 0 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip
    House Depredis: 3 gold, 0 intrigue, 2 crests, 1 skip
    House Wyrd: 8 gold, 0 intrigue, 3 crests, 0 skip

simonwolf on
    Round One
    Exploring Phase Setup

Before you enter the tomb, here is your reminder about the known layout.

Floor 1: Unknown (Menace)
    Floor 2: Devil (Menace) - 3MP damage, 2 VP (5MP damage, 4 VP in Round 3)
    Floor 3: Goblin (Creature) - 2HP damage
    Floor 4 (1 VP): Unknown (Undead)
    Floor 5: Emperor's Will (Legacy) - VP varies on number of players who reach this floor. If one, 6 VP. If two, 4 VP. If three, 2 VP. If four, 1 VP.
    Floor 6 (1 VP): Unknown (Undead)
    Floor 7: Unknown (Creature)
    Floor 8 (2 VP): Unknown (Undead)

All Houses, please inform me on which floors you will be setting your Skip and Return markers. Both are required to be placed, unless you lack the Skip marker.

Some questions and answers that may be of use

Can I skip and return on the same floor?
    Yes.

Is it possible for the same card to show up more than once in the dungeon? i.e. can a Devil be on Floor 1 in this array?
    Aside from Treasures, there are no repeating cards in the dungeon deck. Floor 1's Menace would have to be something other than a Devil.

Are any specific menaces revealed even if not flipped as part of the initial three?
    No. The only cards that are always flipped are Legacy cards.

Oh dear. A poor floor one has the potential to send most of us on an early exit.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2014
    Round One
    Exploring Phase Conclusion

House Jam elects to skip floor 2 and return on floor 5, as soon as his Berserker will allow.
    House Drenn elects to skip and return on floor 1.
    House Depredis elects to skip floor 3 and return on floor 8.
    House Wyrd elects to return on floor 1.

The complete dungeon is revealed as...

Floor 1: Gazer - 3HP, 3MP, and 1SP damage, 'Creepy' tag, 4 VP.
    Floor 2: Devil (Menace) - 3MP damage, 2 VP (5MP damage, 4 VP in Round 3)
    Floor 3: Goblin (Creature) - 2HP damage
    Floor 4 (1 VP): Zombie - 2HP damage, 'Creepy' tag.
    Floor 5: Emperor's Will (Legacy) - VP varies on number of players who reach this floor. If one, 6 VP. If two, 4 VP. If three, 2 VP. If four, 1 VP.
    Floor 6 (1 VP): Shadow - 1MP damage (3MP damage in Round 3).
    Floor 7: Slime - 2MP damage, 'Creepy' tag.
    Floor 8 (2 VP): Ghost - 2MP damage.

Floor 1
    House Jam takes 3HP, 3MP, and 1SP damage! MP is reduced to 0! Party is defeated and returns to surface. -3 VP.
    House Drenn skips and returns to the surface. No VP change.
    House Depredis skips due to Witch ability. No VP change.
    House Wyrd takes 3HP, 3MP, and 1SP damage! SP is reduced to 0! Party is defeated and returns to surface. -3 VP.

Floor 2
    House Depredis takes no damage due to infinite MP. +2 VP.

Floor 3
    House Depredis skips. No VP change.

Floor 4
    House Depredis skips due to Witch ability. +1 VP from floor bonus.

Floor 5
    House Depredis reaches the Emperor's Will alone. +6 VP.

Floor 6
    House Depredis takes no damage due to infinite MP. +1 VP from floor bonus.

Floor 7
    House Depredis skips due to Witch ability.

Floor 8
    House Depredis takes no damage due to infinite MP. +2 VP from floor bonus. Returns to surface.

All parties have returned to surface.

Since everyone started on 3 VP, modifications are taken from there.

End of round Victory Points
    House Jam: 0 VP
    House Drenn: 3 VP
    House Depredis: 15 VP
    House Wyrd: 0 VP

simonwolf on
    Well that could have gone better. Can you get negative VP?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2014
    Nope, VP bottoms out at 0.

Round two preparing and inquiring phases will be up before I crash for the night!

simonwolf on
    edited October 2014
    This round is brought to you by Depredis Ale:
    When you need a fine ale to quench your thirst, make it Depredis Ale!

D8ZKskJ.png

Round Two
    Providing and Inquiring Phases

All Houses are given 12 gold, 1 intrigue, and 1 skip.

Ah! House Depredis, I had no idea you'd be coming so soon! I'll have to fire my errand girl for this inexcusable error to my scheduling, I would have cleared time to properly clean and tidy this place. No, please, don't sit there, take my chair, it's much more comfortable than the terrible things I put out for the common rabble.

Oh. House Joom, Droon and Wroop. Are you still in the city? Well, please take a seat. Are you sure you're meant to be here? Normally I'd see a valuable client like House Depredis... well, I suppose if they're fine with mixing with the lesser houses, I shall follow their noble example. Such dignity! Such modesty! If only we could all be like House Depredis.

Well, to the business at hand. Here's the information I can give you about the next section of the tomb free of charge.

The Dungeon layout for Round One is as follows:
    Floor 2: Unknown (Creature)
    Floor 3: Lycanthrope - 1HP damage (3HP damage in Round 3).
    Floor 4 (1 VP): Treasure (Creature) - 1 VP (2 VP in Round 3).
    Floor 5: Treasure (Undead) - 1 VP (2 VP in Round 3).
    Floor 6 (1 VP): Emperor's Specter (Legacy) - 1SP damage, -1 VP, 'Creepy' tag.
    Floor 7: Unknown (Undead)
    Floor 8 (2 VP): Unknown (Menace)

Half of them for free, goodness. And two of them treasure hoards? Well, I suppose all the houses deserve a chance to scrape their way back into the public eye. I'll entertain your bids now.

All Houses may secretly bid between zero and four gold on any unknown floor. Intrigue markers are worth 2 gold; Crests, if spent, count as the highest bid by default. Remember that all gold bid in this phase will be lost, regardless of bidding outcome.

Please PM your bids to me.

CURRENT TREASURIES
    House Jam: 16 gold, 1 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Drenn: 21 gold, 1 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip
    House Depredis: 15 gold, 1 intrigue, 2 crests, 1 skip
    House Wyrd: 20 gold, 1 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip

simonwolf on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Clearly what we need now, my fellow nobles, is a pact

Without a certain degree of collusion I fear we will all be left in the dust here by this upstart house

fuck gendered marketing
    I don't believe we can pm each other , so by default we have to include the "house that shall go unnamed" in whatever pact we agreed upon. if we agreed upon one that is.

just to add spice to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30wtREXoVjo

All table-talk should be done in this thread, yes.

edited October 2014
    Round Two
    Inquiring Phase Conclusion

BIDS PLACED
    House Jam placed 1 gold and 1 intrigue on Floor 1.
    House Drenn placed 1 crest on Floor 1, 1 gold and 1 intrigue on Floor 2.
    House Depredis placed 1 crest on Floor 1, 1 gold and 1 intrigue on Floor 2.
    House Wyrd made zero bids.

RESULTS
    Floor 1 is won by House Drenn and House Depredis.
    Floor 2 is won by House Drenn and House Depredis.

I... I'm so sorry, House Depredis, I checked and re-checked the numbers personally, but House Drenn made the exact same bids as you. While I can't prove any kind of subterfuge or trickery, I wouldn't put it past their lot.

PMs with your bought information are going out.

CURRENT TREASURIES
    House Jam: 15 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Drenn: 20 gold, 0 intrigue, 2 crests, 1 skip
    House Depredis: 14 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Wyrd: 20 gold, 1 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip

simonwolf on
    edited October 2014
    Round Two
    Organising Phase

House Depredis! Wonderful to see you again! I heard about your success in the tombs the other day - though really, who couldn't have heard? They've been cheering your name in the streets! Please help yourself to some refreshments, I bought a case of that special edition Depredis Ale and set it out along with the finger food, never mind the expense, nothing too good for my favourite...

Oh. Houses... yes, you lot. I heard you were still slinking about but I, well, understandably didn't believe the rumours were true.

No, don't touch those napkins, you'll make them dirty.

Hm? The adventurers? Well I really don't think that's any of your... oh, of course House Depredis, we'll go there at once. They're all waiting eagerly to see who among them shall bear your standard in the next dungeon assault! Step this way, we'll get you set... and the rest of you, I suppose.

Available Adventurers In Auction Order
    The Hermit
    The Assassin
    The Knight
    The Wizard
    The Berserker
    The Samurai
    The Minstrel
    The Alchemist
    The Thief
    The Priestess
    The Witch
    The Boy

Available Adventurers Full Information
    The Hermit
    0HP, 0MP, 1SP
    Power: (Exploring) Your party breaks 'The Gate'.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) Your party takes no damage from 'Dragon'.

The Assassin
    1HP, 1MP, 0SP
    Power: (Organising) You assassinate the character with your intrigue marker. The assassinated character is removed from the auction, and all markers on it are returned to the common pools. Note that you cannot assassinate a character that has already been won in the auction, as your intrigue marker will have been discarded when it was won.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) Your party breaks 'The Gate'.

The Knight
    2HP, 1MP, 0SP
    Power: None.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) HP of your party goes to infinity.

The Wizard
    1HP, 2MP, 0SP
    Power: None.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) MP of your party goes to infinity.

The Berserker
    3HP, 0MP, 1SP
    Power: (Exploring) You must set a return marker on floor 5 or deeper in this round.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) Add 1HP, 1MP, and 1SP to his stats.

The Samurai
    2HP, 2MP, 0SP
    Power: (Organising) You lose a skip marker this round.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) You treat this round as if it were round 3, even if it is round 1 or 2.

The Minstrel
    0HP, 1MP, 0SP
    Power: (Organising) You may choose one unknown floor and secretly learn what it is.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) If you skip a floor from floor 5 or deeper, you still gain that floor's VP.

The Alchemist
    0HP, 0MP, 0SP
    Power: (Exploring) You score 1 extra VP from 'Treasure'.
    Crest Power: (Organising) You move your crest marker on the Alchemist to any other character in your party. Note that you cannot move the crest to a character whose auction hasn't finished, as that character is not in your party (yet).

The Thief
    1HP, 1MP, 0SP
    Power: (Exploring) Your party takes no damage from 'Trap' and breaks 'The Gate'.
    Crest Power: (Organising) You steal the character with your intrigue marker on it. The character is removed from the auction, and all markers on it are returned to the common pools. Note that you cannot steal a character that has already been won in the auction, as your intrigue marker will have been discarded when it was won.

The Priestess
    0HP, 2MP, 0SP
    Power: (Exploring) Your party breaks 'The Gate' if the total MP of your party was 4 or higher at the beginning of the exploring phase.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) Your party takes no damage from all 'undead' floors.

The Witch
    0HP, 0MP, 1SP
    Power: (Exploring) Your party skips all floors with the 'Creepy' tag.
    Crest Power: (Organising) The organising phase ends immediately. All markers on remaining characters are returned to the common pools.

The Boy
    0HP, 0MP, 2SP
    Power: (Exploring) Your party takes no damage and ignores the effect of the 'Emperor's Specter'.
    Crest Power: (Exploring) You score an extra 3 VPs from all 'legacy' floors.

While you think about your opening bids, I had the minstrel prepare a tune for the event. If you would?

House Depredis, your spirit embiggens us all,
    So clever, brave and witty; so handsome and so tall...

All Houses, submit your opening bid for the character auction. You must assign four markers (gold, intrigue, or crest) in any combination of marker and any combination of characters. These will then be revealed before the second phase of bidding.

simonwolf on
    I curse you all.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Why the information I paid for, aren't yet in my possession? Heads will definitely fall for this!!!

On a side note, I fear the imperial accountant made an error. Only 1 crest is left in our treasuries...

I curse you all.

hey I'm basically in the same boat as you , tingle.

Preda wrote: »
    Why the information I paid for, aren't yet in my possession? Heads will definitely fall for this!!!

On a side note, I fear the imperial accountant made an error. Only 1 crest is left in our treasuries...

Great question! The answer is "because I drafted that PM, then opened another tab and completely forgot I hadn't sent it."

Also, we've always been at war with Eastasia.

edited October 2014
    Round Two
    Organising Phase Opening Bids

House Depredis, your bids are in? Let's just... oh, fine, I suppose we can see what the others are doing as well.

hrB1urO.png?1

Hm, much less intense focus this time around on any particular adventurer. Though you're certainly being courted, Hermit!

Wait, did House Jam really put all their money on the Berserker? After all he didn't do for you last time? Goodness, that certainly is a strategy, isn't it?

Well, time for the last bids, then. Did anyone want a bottle of this Depredis Ale while they ponder?

All players must submit their bids. There is no upper or lower limit on how many gold, intrigue or crests you may place at this point.

CURRENT TREASURIES
    House Jam: 11 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Drenn: 16 gold, 0 intrigue, 2 crests, 1 skip
    House Depredis: 10 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Wyrd: 16 gold, 1 intrigue, 3 crests, 1 skip

simonwolf on
    Round Two
    Organising Phase Conclusion

I see you've all finalised your bids, so we won't waste any more time and get right to it. If you would, revealing wench?

0hvoeBm.png?1

The Hermit is bid on by three houses, but it remains a tie from the first round.

The Assassin is bid on by nobody, alas.

The Knight is bid on by House Wyrd, and goes to House Wyrd. Sole bidder on that one? Hm.

The Wizard is bid on by Drenn and Depredis, but that extra gold ties it up for Depredis.

The Berserker is bid on by Jam, Drenn, and Wyrd, but this time there is no tie-breaking, and he shall have to chew the furniture here.

The Samurai is bid on by Houses Drenn and Depredis, but one extra gold again nails it for House Drenn. Such tight bidding!

The Minstrel is won by House Jam, in another example of Drenn being one gold short.

The Alchemist becomes one of the tightest bids, but even with a crest, the five gold from House Wyrd locks it.

The Thief is bid on by Jam, Drenn and Wyrd, but this time a crest does win out, and House Wyrd takes them.

The Priestess is bid on by... nobody. Alas.

The Witch is bid on by House Drenn and Depredis but... really, one gold again? Dear me. House Depredis wins.

The Boy is... wait, where did the Boy go? He was here a second ago... House Wyrd, can you check behind that squirming sack of yours, next to the Thief? He does like to play games sometimes... No? Hm. Well, the rules clearly state "no refunds" in this situation, so I'm afraid your gold will go towards the rescue party.

I believe that's all, noble sirs and ladies. Your unsuccessful bids shall be returned, and hopefully empower you in future rounds.

Here's the final parties for each house, and any special powers...

House Jam - Minstrel. May check one unknown floor. 1HP/2MP/1SP.
    House Drenn - No characters. 1HP/1MP/1SP.
    House Depredis - Wizard, Samurai, Witch. Loses a skip marker. Auto-skips any 'Creepy' floors. 4HP/5MP/2SP.
    House Wyrd - Knight, Alchemist, Thief, Boy. 1 extra VP from Treasure. Takes no damage from 'Trap' and breaks 'Gate'. No damage or effect from 'Emperor's Specter'. 5HP/4MP/3SP.

Well, I wish you all the best of luck in the coming delve.

Good hunting.

CURRENT TREASURIES
    House Jam: 13 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Drenn: 14 gold, 0 intrigue, 0 crests, 1 skip
    House Depredis: 4 gold, 0 intrigue, 1 crests, 1 skip
    House Wyrd: 7 gold, 0 intrigue, 2 crests, 1 skip

Round Two
    Exploring Phase Setup

Before you enter the tomb, here is your reminder about the known layout.

Floor 2: Unknown (Creature)
    Floor 3: Lycanthrope - 1HP damage (3HP damage in Round 3).
    Floor 4 (1 VP): Treasure (Creature) - 1 VP (2 VP in Round 3).
    Floor 5: Treasure (Undead) - 1 VP (2 VP in Round 3).
    Floor 6 (1 VP): Emperor's Specter (Legacy) - 1SP damage, -1 VP, 'Creepy' tag.
    Floor 7: Unknown (Undead)
    Floor 8 (2 VP): Unknown (Menace)

All Houses, please inform me on which floors you will be setting your Skip and Return markers. Both are required to be placed, unless you lack the Skip marker.

@Jam Warrior‌, remember you can look at one unknown floor before committing.

and with that House Drenn resigns

good luck to the remaining houses. I gambled all on this round and lost.

fuck gendered marketing
    The complete lack of table talk, dealmaking, or anything has made this an exercise in frustration

it's impossible to read people when they aren't saying anything

fuck gendered marketing
    hey, @jam warrior and I tried to talk. it ended up in mostly awkward glances, but we tried!

Yeah, the problem with many games being played PbP is that the tabletalk and other things that are an unwritten part of what makes the game work are often nullified, or reduced to something that is a shadow of what it should be. Essentially it boils down to trying to make decisions based on numbers, which aren't very telling overall.

I think this game doesn't work nearly so well online as it does in-person, and I do not think I would run it again - or, if I did, it would be in a VASSAL-type situation, where things progress quickly and there's an increased amount of communication.

House Drenn retreats to their villa, and leaves the game to the others.

Goddamnit @Egos !

I guess I'll peak floor 1.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I think it has gone fine in PbP myself. Probably a different beast to at the table but still decisions to be made and their terrible consequences to be played out.

MhCw7nZ.gif