As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Simpsons Marathon is on right now, Let's discuss the show's downfall.

167891012»

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    46534-Simpsons-McBain-THATS-THE-JOKE-ykEL.jpeg

Getting a joke tattoo

Means the real joke is your life decisions

Except it's not a joke tattoo.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Getting a joke tattoo

Then the only jokes is your life decisions.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I will say given theres like a dozen actual tattoos in the Simpsons its an odd choice.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I've been thinking of getting this as a tattoo for a long time:

132px-Hippy_Lisa.gif

That's my favorite Simpsons episode (Summer of 4 ft 2).

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Something of possible interest to Simpsons fans: infamous, reclusive Simpsons writer John Swartzwelder did a pilot for a comedy western called Pistol Pete in 1996 that was never picked up, and it just surfaced on YouTube. I haven't watched it, so I couldn't tell you if it's worth 24 minutes of your time, but some of the descriptions make it sound like it's pretty Swartzwelder-ian humor-wise, and might be worth checking out if you're a fan of his episodes and/or books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H2sF424S98#t=49

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Getting a joke tattoo

It is literally a tattoo of a joke.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    You could assume that the reference has some sort of personal meaning to the person who got it other than just "here's a Simpsons joke I found funny" (like he appropriated Thrillho as a nickname, screen-name, gamer-name, etc.) that we don't have the context for with just the image.

Captain Tragedy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Thrillhouse" is a Simpsons joke.

"Thrillho" is a shortening of a Simpsons joke that has dubious connotations.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPsdxR0zzNE

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    In honour of having just build the Adult Education Centre in Tapped Out, enjoy these quotes:

Homer: "That's it. If Lenny can teach a class, he can teach a class! I mean, I can teach a class!"

Homer: "Look Marge, now that I'm a teacher, I've sown patches on the elbows of my jacket."
    Marge: "Homer, you're supposed to sow leather patches on a swede jacket, not swede patches on a leather jacket. You've ruined a perfectly good jacket."
    Homer, proudly holding up a second jacket with patch-shaped holes in the back: "Two perfectly good jackets."

sig.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Now that's a tattoo.

tumblr_mh7rf9r2gt1s05a6mo1_500.jpg

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Now that's a tattoo.

tumblr_mh7rf9r2gt1s05a6mo1_500.jpg

That's not a tattoo.

This is a tattoo:
    bartvsaustralia12.png

sig.gif
  • ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

260zDU6.jpg

Oops, looks like this was already covered by @Taramoor

ThePantsAssociation on
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I always wanted a print of a shot from the one where they build a derby car but could never find it.

It's Bart and homer welding with their hoods up and homer is smoking a cigar.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A very looooong interview with Al Jean, David Mirkin and Matt Selman on the marathon and a look back at the show as a whole.

Fun fact: apparently ratings kept going up as the marathon went on, even during the seasons the Internet has deemed bad.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have such a love/hate relationship with David Mirkin, based solely on his commentaries.

On the one hand, he was way too energetic, to the point where it almost sounded fake. And it got annoying after a while, especially when he would start things off with "HELLLLOOOOOO AND WEEELLLLCOOOME.

On the other hand, I say almost there, because honestly he genuinely seemed into it. And he was actually talking about the show and shit. Which makes me feel kind of guilty saying the above, because god damn did he know how to work a commentary.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i think the one thing i disagree with the most on the internet. other than star wars and lord and rings

is how bad new simpsons is

i took a look at old southpark compared to new south park recently and it's a world of difference.

they are not the same thing at all. but i'm glad they post exist.

and i will tune in to fox during the fall every sunday night at 8PM and be happy that The Simpsons are still there.

steam_sig.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Watching FXX's reruns of the newer episodes does prove there are still good gems to be found. I enjoyed the one with Homer trying to fit in with the hipster neighbors, for one thing.

I think the problem is that when a modern episode doesn't work, it really shows. The good>bad ratio wasn't quite as noticeable in the "golden age" seasons.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The thing is, regardless of how one feels about the show then and now, it is a very different show at this point than it was back in its earlier seasons. Of course it is. I mean, it has been on for a quarter of a century.

The thing about that is, it's completely possible for some people to really like the style of humor the show had back in the 90s, and not really dig most of what they're doing now. It's also completely possible for some people to like what the show currently is.

It's fine if people enjoy the more recent seasons, but acting like people who prefer the older material and aren't really into most of the new stuff are 'wrong' is a bit silly.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Thank you for your interest in FX Networks.
    The content you are trying to access is not available in your region.

yay..

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Thank you for your interest in FX Networks.
    The content you are trying to access is not available in your region.

yay..

If it makes you feel better, the experience was a little underwhelming for my wife and me. Occasional loading problems (using Apple TV) meant we saw something like seven ads trying to start one episode. Most for American Horror Story, which is a nice ad, but became a little grating. Also an ad for some razer go kart thing that made me all nostalgic for terrible commercials for children.

It's a good service, because All Simpsons Whenever is a good product, but between the ad pacing and the formatting issues they're trying their best to dampen enthusiasm.

Edit: There are some really great inclusions, to be fair. Lots of extras, and the phone app lets you see how many people are watching a specific season. Neat!

OneAngryPossum on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    You got the app working with Apple TV? I couldn't find an AirPlay option on my iPad.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I used the FX app on the device instead of AirPlay. Might give that a shot for fun later.

• zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Is that fx app coming to gaming consoles and Google Chrome any time soon?

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I've only seen it on Xbox One so far.