As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Effect change or affect change?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I always thought it was "affect change" because affect is a verb and effect is a noun but I've read some things that suggest "effect change" is correct.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    effect change

Unless of course you're saying that you want to change the change, in which case affect change.

Edit: Also, effect can be a noun or verb. Definition 10 here is how it's being used in "effect change" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/effect

Daenris on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's about the context of the sentence, effect is the more correct version there, usually.

Affect in this context would be "has an impact on" and effect would be "will do/brings about"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Affect and effect both have noun and verb forms, though the noun affect usually means someone's demeanor.

Verb affect means to alter, or bring an effect upon.
    Verb effect means to bring about, or bring into existence.

So assuming you mean to bring about a change, rather than to alter existing change (whatever that would mean), then you "effect change."

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shit. I've been wrong for years about this.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks folks.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar