As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Been watching the pbp thread. So is Jinteki mostly about trap cards with an aim on net-killing the runner?

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Been watching the pbp thread. So is Jinteki mostly about trap cards with an aim on net-killing the runner?

Jinteki are dicks yes. Seriously though that is one of the main game plans of the core set Jinteki identity - other jinteki identities can play in quite different ways.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I'll play you houn!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I'll play you houn!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

the following is a pretty good discussion of Jinteki, if out of date: words

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played against Blue Sun yesterday and it's exactly as gamechanging as Nasir

one of the core components of playing runner is forcing the corp to spend money by rezzing ice and that really doesn't work with blue sun since they can just eat whatever's on the table when they need money

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, tomorrow me and my friends will finally get to play this, so I've been reading the cards a little. I'll have to do the explaining, after all. Putting the core Shaper and Weyland decks together and going from there. I have no doubt that if it catches on we will soon have some expacks - we're all deckbuilding fiends.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, tomorrow me and my friends will finally get to play this, so I've been reading the cards a little. I'll have to do the explaining, after all. Putting the core Shaper and Weyland decks together and going from there. I have no doubt that if it catches on we will soon have some expacks - we're all deckbuilding fiends.

That's a fun matchup, and both are pretty capable right out of the box. If your friend plays Shaper first, you might want to warn them about Scorched Earth when you start. When you're new you can't gauge how much tags matter, in a lot of cases they don't matter at all, but it can put off a lot of new players if they instantly lose to a card they didn't know existed.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    So here's the Green Tree deck I'm gonna run with for the league nights this week, using my fancy new promo.

The cerebral casts are there for some fun and games around scaring people on Scorch, as well as enabling possible scorch kills. The other option for those deck slots are Psychic Fields, which I'm not a fan of since they're only useful when installed and are otherwise completely dead cards. The trick of lights are for pushing out an agenda if I need to as well as using up wasted advancements. Being able to score a Chronos Project out of hand could be super neat mid-late game.

And here's the newest incarnation of my Prepaid Kate deck. I'd like to be using Astrolabe, but U&O isn't out here yet.

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

That's a fun matchup, and both are pretty capable right out of the box. If your friend plays Shaper first, you might want to warn them about Scorched Earth when you start. When you're new you can't gauge how much tags matter, in a lot of cases they don't matter at all, but it can put off a lot of new players if they instantly lose to a card they didn't know existed.

Will do. But really, it's hard to gauge a lot of things without play experience. Like, for example, I'm looking over the corp decks now and it's really hard to know whether ices are good or not without play experience. Like, the Rototurret looks kind of blah, at 4 cost and 0 strength, like the kind of thing whose only use is hoping that the Runner doesn't happen to have a breaker that can interact with it, but maybe that happens often enough that it's worth it? On the other hand, Archer looks scary. Six strength for four cost and four subroutines, it looks like even if the runner can get through it it's a definite credit sink between upping breaker strength to match and breaking everything, but I can't gauge how much the forfeiting an agenda cost means in terms of tempo loss. And so on.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rototurret still sees play. Trashing a program and ending the run is a nice combo, and you might be able to snipe a breaker before they slap the inevitable parasite on to the ice to kill it. Nasir eats it for breakfast, as do a lot of Shaper decks that are using SMC or clone chips. 4 cost for zero strength means it's situational, and you'll only want to rez it if you're desperate to defend a server or can definitely trash a program. Grim, a five strength ice that trashes a program but doesn't end the run, is harder for a runner to deal with but doesn't stop the run.

For Archer, people usually try and score a Hostile Takeover early so the runner knows the Corp can now rez an Archer for only one agenda point, which might make them wary of running without a sentry breaker, and if you're HB you can rez it after scoring a Domestic Sleepers, which is just lovely. There are other ways to get one up (the cards that let you rez ice, ignoring all costs), but scoring an early Hostile Takeover and then sacrificing it is the most common.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Any ICE that stops a runner from doing what they want is good ICE? Some of it is more cost effective than others, but you may not have a better option?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Well, we could try only a couple games today - these games can definitely go in for a pretty long haul.

I personally loved it. The thing is that I won both times (playing the corp both times, he picked first Santiago and then Mac while I played first Weyland and then NBN), and given the person I played with I fear that might have turned him off because he's the kind of guy that needs to win with a certain regularity. Maybe I should have let him win.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    If you're playing the core-only default decks, he should stick to playing Kate. Shaper is the only identity that has all the tools and functions in an easily understandable way. Criminals flatly having Crypsis as their code breaker is awful, and new players don't understand how bad playing those as decks is.
    The corp has it a bit easier, but only just. HB VS Kate should make for some decent games. Stick to one thing for a bit so you guys get to learn your own cards. One of the hurdles as the runner when starting is understanding that you have a lot more control than you expect as a new player, and learning the card pool and what you can see is a big part of that.

• Options
    Well, when he played Kate he had some serious money troubles - and also had trouble with the fact that everything NBN has seems to be a Sentry, while all he got were wallbreakers and codebreakers, so all my ice basically cockblocked him with absolute impunity. But that might have simply been bad luck.

• Options
    None of NBN's core set sentries end the run though (except Data Raven, but that's by choice). He doesn't actually need a sentry breaker to get past them. He would want money, but with Magnum Opus, Aesop's Pawnshop, Modded and Kate's discount, she usually does fine for cash. Even still, taking a tag can be very worthwhile given the limited number of ways core NBN can punish you for it.
    I stick by what I said. If he suffered poor luck, so be it, but if you guys aren't building your own decks yet then Kate is the right way to go.

• Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Took Reina apart for Worlds. She wasn't ready, and Blue Sun eats her alive with a simple lotus field splash.

Here's my newest idea for Worlds, based on some early experimentation, it looks good. A little worried about shell game jinteki or NEH, with the lack of multi-access. Any ideas you guys have would be welcome.

Money Back Guarantee

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)
    2x Net Celebrity (The Spaces Between)
    2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)

Hardware (9)
    3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
    1x HQ Interface (Humanity's Shadow) ••
    1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
    2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)
    2x The Toolbox (Core Set)

Resource (12)
    3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)
    2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
    2x New Angeles City Hall (Future Proof)
    2x Order of Sol (First Contact)
    3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (7)
    1x Atman (Creation and Control)
    1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
    1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
    1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
    2x Femme Fatale (Core Set) ••
    1x Refractor (First Contact)

Program (11)
    3x Cloak (Creation and Control)
    2x Imp (What Lies Ahead) ••••• •
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)
    3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
    1x Snitch (Cyber Exodus) ••

14 influence spent (max 15)
    45 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to First Contact

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    Well, games tonight went really well, came out with only a single loss (a 50 minute game as Kate vs NBN), and had three flatline kills with the Jinteki PE. Each one of those kills involved Cerebral casts in some way. I'm really digging the card.

That was the final night of the league, and I have finally managed to win myself a playmat! It's the Planned Assault one, which I do really quite like.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Took Reina apart for Worlds. She wasn't ready, and Blue Sun eats her alive with a simple lotus field splash.

Here's my newest idea for Worlds, based on some early experimentation, it looks good. A little worried about shell game jinteki or NEH, with the lack of multi-access. Any ideas you guys have would be welcome.

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

I think a single Parasite would do a lot to deal with ice like pop up, pup etc
    Not sure what you'd drop but I'd suggest an Imp as it also gives you another influence spare.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I had a really good night of Netrunner at my local store. I won every game I played.

First game was my RP Taxes vs CT Power Nap? ... Anyway, it was pretty shocking how quickly he was able to generate credits with Gamble, Lucky Find, Power Nap, Same Old Thing, etc. No way I was going to be able to tax him out of my remotes, so I just had to outplay him. I end up winning by scoring out a Future Perfect and two Nesei MKII behind an Enigma and protected by Caprice and Ash at various times. I felt pretty good about this win. This was the most straight forward game.

Next was The Foundry Fast Advance against Reina. She definitely is hard on this deck. It already runs credit light so that extra rez cost is harsh. I never actually got my FA tools... no Biotics, no SanSans, nothing. Early I score Gila Hands which allows me to generate plenty of credits. I manage to bust his Yog with Rototurret, effectively blocking him out of every Code Gate protected server until he finds either Crypsis or his second Yog. Which he never finds either. He does manage to score out my hand a few times by chewing through my HQ ICE with Parasite, but I find a Mother Goddess and another NEXT Silver to lock him out. It comes down all the way to five to six and I am trailing, but I have one NAPD in hand, an Ash, and he has three credits remaining. I play them in my Bronze protected remote and advance once. He knows it's now or never, so he gains as many credits as he can, put a Rook on my R&D ICE, and runs at R&D. I rez the third Bronze for five credits and knocking him out, leaving me with just enough to score the NAPD and win.

Finally it's my turn to play runner so I bust out Andromeda. Not very sporting, I know, but he's playing Engineering the Future so I assumed Fast Advance. It wasn't but it also the game I never saw a path to victory through till the very end. No in fact it was Glacier - giant ICE, AI Arcology, Thomas Hass, etc. I managed to Keyhole him three times first turn but only managed to drop a Project Wotan in Archives. Next turn he ICEs up and starts setting up a remote. I Account Siphon and target HQ with Security Testing but he spends most of his credits to rez Ichi. I drain the one credit so I'm not totally broke, sitting at four credits. By this point my Siphons and Testing are dead cards, cause his servers are now all three deep. I start using my Same Old Things to play Sure Gamble from the Heap. He laughs and I point out it's still more efficient than 1-for-1, then run R&D, scoring a two-pointer. It is now six to six. I have four credits, Crypsis, Datasucker (one tokens), Zul and a Faerie. He has one card in hand and all the money. He put it into a three deep remote, advances it twice and passes the turn to me. I've already trashed two Arcologies and he used one. He already ude two Thomas Hass so I'm pretty sure this is actually an agenda. I gain a credit, SOT for SG again, and run the remote. He rezzes Viktor 1.0. I drop the Datasucker token and pay through with Zul. I encounter the Ichi and I drop two credits and the Fairie to get by it. He doesn't have enough credits to rez the Heimdall 2.0 that's next. I score the agenda and win the game.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

Not sure what you'd drop but I'd suggest an Imp as it also gives you another influence spare.

To be honest, any deck that has trouble against standard NEHbiotics is not a deck I'd want to take to Worlds. :)

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

-1 Imp, +1 Parasite gives me the option of adding in another HQ Interface, which helps against NEH.

What do we think about a singleton Replicator?

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    grungebox wrote: »

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

To be honest, any deck that has trouble against standard NEHbiotics is not a deck I'd want to take to Worlds. :)

While I know what you are saying, I'm guessing he knows its not a tier 1 deck. Not sure there is a good anti NEH deck around at the moment!

• Options

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

-1 Imp, +1 Parasite gives me the option of adding in another HQ Interface, which helps against NEH.

What do we think about a singleton Replicator?

I'd say its not worth it with the hardware you have. I think another Diesal would be better, you need those Workshops early!

• Options
    edited October 2014

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

While I know what you are saying, I'm guessing he knows its not a tier 1 deck. Not sure there is a good anti NEH deck around at the moment!

there isn't

I've spent a lot of time playing against it

katman can be strong against it (other shaper builds tend to be just too damn slow)

anarchs can be strong against it

but basically what happens is, you have to draw exactly the cards you need in order to win, and you can't completely wiff on every single access (you have to actually score agendas early, meaningful ones, not Breaking News and NAPD), so even the best matchup really only makes it maybe a fifty-fifty

cards that help the most are probably parasite and keyhole, with imp also being a strong contender

criminals probably have the toughest time since the deck has so much gear-checking ice and it doesn't care about account siphons after turn 1 or 2 (and there's a good chance it doesn't care about them at all if you're playing Andromeda and they get a turn 1 sweeps week)

gabe and tenma are probably a better choice than andromeda because of sneakdoor and the sustainable early pressure and andromeda's handsize is usually a liability because of sweeps week, but Stirling is too slow and Silhouette's ability is irrelevant; no matter who you play it basically comes down to whether you can get lucky with your accesses

Shorty on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

Money Back Guarantee

Event (6)
    2x Diesel (Core Set)

Hardware (9)

Resource (12)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)
    2x Leprechaun (Upstalk)

45 cards (min 45)

There's a Brazilian player that's been posting some interested takes on anti-NBN decks on BGG. The first one is directed at regular NBN FA Astrobiotics in the H&P meta, the more recent one changes to NEH. They're a little behind in datapacks now, but interesting nonetheless. He's been applying a pretty rigorous iteration approach and has come up with some Anarch decks which, according to him, have pretty decent success rates.

Of course, he doesn't use Sure Gambles and instead spends influence on Easy Marks, Moddeds, and Lucky Finds, so he may just be crazy, but they are fun ideas to entertain.

• Options
    I have generally had the most success against NEH using my PPVP Kate deck. Enough multi access to pull out the agendas I need, Atman makes it considerably more affordable, and the burst economy means I can usually punch my way through and set them off tempo over and over.

But a lot of it relies on good accesses, still, as well as not getting shit draws early game.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Is it wrong that I really kind of want to make a Silhouette stealth-breakers deck? Just for pure theme? I doubt the influence is there, but it would certainly be fun.

That said, I've seen the best stealth-breaker deck out of Chaos Theory - the extra memory and smaller deck size really helps.

• Options
    I actually put together a Kit deck with Refractors and Switchblade

not enough influence for blackat, though

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Well, I am back in the states... played in Quinn's Netrunner tournament over the weekend. Got my clocked cleaned; we played 5 rounds of swiss and I went 2-8. Loved every minute of it.

Lots and lots of HB and NBN decks for corps, and the wunderkind for the runners.

• Options
    Just a reminder for anyone coming to worlds and wanting a ride from the airport. My schedule is filling up.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen it replaced by Corroder most of the time. Seems like a reasonable swap.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Whoops, wrong thread

On topic, I don't really like Blackat, especially when compared to Corroder

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen it replaced by Corroder most of the time. Seems like a reasonable swap.

yeah that's what I did

haven't actually played it yet, we'll see how it goes

the fact that I don't have tinkering is cause for concern but hopefully it won't be necessary

• Options
    In my eyes, Blackat falls into that same unfortunate slot as Ninja. It is, once in a blue moon, a more efficient breaker than the staples. But the times that situation arise make it hard to justify as an inclusion. Blackat is a bit worse given its reliance on another type of card. Granted that's less of a thing in a dedicated stealth deck, but it makes it pretty much impossible to use outside of that circumstance.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I do wonder if we'll see a ID with a reoccurring stealth credit on it.

Granted, if it were going to happen, I would've thought Silhouette would be it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Oh, hey, did somebody say All That Remains spoilers?

No?

Well, have fun.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

No?

Well, have fun.

Someone's going to have to explain one of those cards to me.
    Ekomind. This, on the surface, looks terrible.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Houn wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

No?

Well, have fun.

Someone's going to have to explain one of those cards to me.
    Ekomind. This, on the surface, looks terrible.

Origami.

Overmind.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ekomind is a fantastic piece of card design. No idea if it's good, but just wow.

Also, liking Sagittarius and Gemini. Good to see the design from Taurus spreading out to other corporations. Going to be interesting to see the NBN one too, but I could definitely see a Making News deck with any and all of them.

tzeentchling on