As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Spectrograph

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Spectrograph

Spectrograph

Spectrograph

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/10/22

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Ryan A. ElliottRyan A. Elliott Registered User regular
    Oh I hope there's a DLC for this one.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The reference, just in case someone doesn't get it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbO9LhD9PsI

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Also a classic Twilight Zone ep, "Long Distance Call".

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The reference, just in case someone doesn't get it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbO9LhD9PsI

I don't think "looking into a well" references The Ring at all.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    "Our evil camera is NON-NEGOTIABLE!"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    "Our evil camera is NON-NEGOTIABLE!"

Until it became negotiable suddenly.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    This is really more of a Frequency reference.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    In 2009, my husband and I took my parents to visit Orlando and Disney World since they'd never been to Florida before. We were flying in on different flights (they from Detroit, we from Dulles) and naturally ours was delayed. Dad left a voicemail to say they were in the airport waiting by the Chik-Fil-A, about 15 minutes before we touched down. Once we met up, I deleted the message.

Fast forward to October 2011. Dad had passed away from cancer earlier in the year. I turned on my phone and found 4 voicemails on my phone. For some unknown reason, Verizon resurrected some deleted voicemails from 2009: three from my doctor's office...and one from Dad saying he was waiting in the Orlando airport by the Chik-Fil-A. I listen to it every month so it doesn't get autodeleted.

tl;dr Technology is creepy, and if you're passing through Orlando International Airport Dad would like a chicken biscuit and a sweet tea.

• Options
    WahjahbviousWahjahbvious Registered User new member
    I created this account just so I could say that I'm too stupid to understand the third panel of today's comic. Why is the grandmother 12? Why is she looking into a well? I don't know!

I don't think "looking into a well" references The Ring at all.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The grandmother is 12 because it's creepier that way and she's looking into a well because that's creepier and because Kinects didn't exist when the grandmother was 12.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    the joke is: The Kinect is a technological evil eye that can contact dead relatives during their youth, however many decades ago that was.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Oh, so the "well" is the lens of the Kinect, and the now-young G-ma is just confused by it?
    the joke is: The Kinect is a technological evil eye that can contact dead relatives during their youth, however many decades ago that was.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Oh, so the "well" is the lens of the Kinect, and the now-young G-ma is just confused by it?

It's calling her in the past.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »

You know, the past, back when they had wells?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

You know, the past, back when they had wells?

we don't have wells now thanks to global warming, so you def know it's from the past.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    If that were the case, then the Kinect isn't functioning as an otherworldly link to the dead so much a a Time Telephone. Kinda of takes the creepiness out of it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    In 2009, my husband and I took my parents to visit Orlando and Disney World since they'd never been to Florida before. We were flying in on different flights (they from Detroit, we from Dulles) and naturally ours was delayed. Dad left a voicemail to say they were in the airport waiting by the Chik-Fil-A, about 15 minutes before we touched down. Once we met up, I deleted the message.

Fast forward to October 2011. Dad had passed away from cancer earlier in the year. I turned on my phone and found 4 voicemails on my phone. For some unknown reason, Verizon resurrected some deleted voicemails from 2009: three from my doctor's office...and one from Dad saying he was waiting in the Orlando airport by the Chik-Fil-A. I listen to it every month so it doesn't get autodeleted.

tl;dr Technology is creepy, and if you're passing through Orlando International Airport Dad would like a chicken biscuit and a sweet tea.
    There was a story this summer about a guy who lost his father when he was little and years later was going through some stuff and found a memory card for his XBox with his father's save data from a racing game, so he was able to race against his father's "ghost" on this one track.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhome GrownRhome Grown Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It's clearly a typo...it was meant to say, "...she's looking into a Wells Fargo." Because, as everyone knows, Gabe's Grandma was none other than Annie 'Shoot'em Up' Parker the notorious 12-year-old bank robber. It's only a coincidence that her favorite film was The Ring.

Rhome Grown on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Back when she did the nasty?

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, if you were trying to creep people the fuck out for Halloween, congratulations, I'm creeped the fuck out.

The comical grimace on Gabe's face in the last panel doesn't curb it in any way, still creeped the fuck out.

hibryd7 on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Why would you throw that haunted Kinect in the fireplace? Why?!

Now you are undoubtedly going to see her face in the flames. Enjoy your fireside cocoa with a side order of mind-bending horror.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    What he needs to do is get an old priest and a young priest.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I'm sure that evil-tainted smoke won't cause an evil-tainted rainstorm over any graveyards anywhere. After all everyone knows nothing bad ever happens after burning evil-tainted things. Ever.

*Grabs popcorn*

• Options
    GenkaiGenkai Registered User new member
    That looks like the same park where The Ring came up before...
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/10/21/the-scent-of-fear

• Options
    fullforce098fullforce098 In a van down by the riverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Tycho seems to have suffered some sort of grievous flaying under his right armpit in the first panel.

(Yes is know it's a leaf, it just matches the background is all.)

fullforce098 on
  • Options
    ReplicanttenReplicantten Registered User regular
    Death is only a change of form.