As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Also at $11 that CAV is one of the cheaper to get in metal. They go up to $20 or so. Well the quad that until now I hadn't really thought about getting from the kickstarer is $28. Given the price of metal the prices should scale pretty well with the weight.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Battle report!

Game 8 - Free for all!

Ian: Marauder MAD-9S
    Chris F: No-Dachi NDA-2KD
    Chris C: Shiro SH-1V
    Dallas: Warwolf Prime

Game started off with us split between my Marauder versus the Shiro and the No-Dachi versus the Warwolf. My poor MAD just couldn't roll well against the Shiro and its Hardened Armor while it kept eating four LRM-10 volleys each turn. Turn 7 saw me going Alpha Strike on the thing... even stationary I managed to hit with just one ER MLas and an LB-10 slug whilst putting myself into enough heat debt to leave me with 0 MP (after losing a Lower Leg Actuator). I had to pop the white flag on Turn 8.

Meanwhile, the No-Dachi crept towards the Warwolf, building its heat up for that inevitable TSM-buffed Sword hit and we were all looking forward to what we were all sure would be an Immovable Object versus Unstoppable Force situation. Well, the NDA got in one good slice before the Mechwarrior got knocked out for four turns while the Warwolf went to town on it.

Now, Dallas decides to pick up the No-Dachi's sword (or the arm, I forget) and we get a nice brawl between the Warwolf and the Shiro. The Warwolf refuses to stop taking damage and we all think the Shiro's got it in the bag... until a lucky pair of Gyro hits sends the armored guy to the floor.

Due to the great shifts in the roster, we're going to call the campaign next week. There'll be a final sendoff match with Assaults and we're offloading our Mediums and Heavies for spare cash... I'm just shy of the starting 50 million CBs since I've only won a single game. I wonder, what should I take?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the pics!

This is what happens when a Marauder tries to take a Shiro head-on.
    Marauder meets Marauder, part 2! Had someone looking to check out our game days, he brought a metric crapload of old minis! I just had to get a shot of our two MADs.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I do actually like the Reseen Marauder figs. One of these days, probably once I've finished painting the current collection, I'll dive whole-hog into the latter-day Reseen as a whole.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Turned 27 today, got myself a Mad Cat Mk II in celebration!

In the middle of basecoating, I realize I own viable blue, orange and white paints...

...Does anyone have experience with freehanding a walrus head?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Battle report! Today's game was holy shit amazeballs and I managed to pull out a truly epic moment for my new Mad Cat MkII, fresh with the colors of the Oosiks!

Game 9 - Free for all! Assault-weight finale! We've each got enough money to upgrade our MechWarriors to 3/4.

Ian: Mad Cat Mk II
    Chris F: Daishi (Dire Wolf) A
    Chris C: Berserker BZK-C3
    Dallas: Night Wolf Prime

We played on this map. I started in the SE corner, Chris C in the SW, Dallas NW and Chris F NE. As usual, the game split out into two fronts, the Dire Wolf and Nightwolf in the north. My Madkitty Two: Electric Boogaloo took a few potshots at the Berserker while we both made our way up.

Turn three or four, the Night Wolf suddenly takes a gutshot. AMS ammo. Boom. With the Berserker still working its way over it's now between me and the Daishi. My attacks fail to reliably damage a single location and my 'Mech gets a literal faceful of SRMs. Four head hits later, my pilot goes unconscious.

With me out of the picture, the Daishi turned to the Berserker finally arriving at the flatlands. They spent a turn trading fire but the Dire Wolf just couldn't hit consistently enough to avoid receiving a TSM'd hatchet to the face. Its pilot swollen with pride, the victorious 'Mech turned to the skies and breathed flame into the heavens... (because it has a Flamer in the head)

...And gazed back upon the earth to find a blue-white-orange Mad Cat standing back up. The game was on once again. He took out a Gauss Rifle (and the whole right arm with it, of course) and I got his hatchet. I smash his Center Torso and he kills my Gyro. We both fall down - me down like three levels, critting my own Right Torso in the process... but I'm still moving, my LRM 10 ammo unexploded.

Seriously. Best game ever. 'Mech sheet. Naptime.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Yuuuuuusssss.. CGL just posted the release schedule for the Lance Packs.

http://bg.battletech.com/news/news-and-announcements/lance-pack-release-schedule-preorder-first-two-now/

Now I just need to finish painting my current collection before the last one is on sale, and I won't feel bad about splurging on them.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I like the "Target Market" blurb. Of course a typical store has so many lines of super niche stuff to keep track of that I'm sure you can't be too explicit or succinct in trying to explain what something is.

Still, "sell our product to people that play Battletech, have played Battletech in the past and those that haven't played Battletech" is pretty sweet advice. Also I wonder who would be using BT minis for a different game.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I like the "Target Market" blurb. Of course a typical store has so many lines of super niche stuff to keep track of that I'm sure you can't be too explicit or succinct in trying to explain what something is.

Still, "sell our product to people that play Battletech, have played Battletech in the past and those that haven't played Battletech" is pretty sweet advice. Also I wonder who would be using BT minis for a different game.
    So, Crognar the barbarian swings his axe at the undead abomination he's fighting, Quizbob the elvish archer lands three arrows against the gnolls, and Jake hits with his LB 20-x scatter shot round and his barrage of SRMs.

see317 wrote: »

So, Crognar the barbarian swings his axe at the undead abomination he's fighting, Quizbob the elvish archer lands three arrows against the gnolls, and Jake hits with his LB 20-x scatter shot round and his barrage of SRMs.

Assuming Jake's mech in this example is roughly the size of Crognar the barbarian, I would play the shit out of this game.

If it's in the appropriate mech-to-man scale, I'd play it even harder.

Nips wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

Assuming Jake's mech in this example is roughly the size of Crognar the barbarian, I would play the shit out of this game.

If it's in the appropriate mech-to-man scale, I'd play it even harder.
    Pretty sure that game exists, and is called "Rifts".

• Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    There are many generic tabletop rulesets out there. One of the more critically acclaimed is "Song of Blades and Heroes", and the host of add-ons for it (fantasy, sci-fi, post apocalyptic, kung-fu madness, you-name-it).

I haven't done it yet, but a friend and I had planned on trying out SBH using my mechs vs. his orcs.

Better yet, get a few small toy dinosaurs, call them kaiju and re-enact your Godzilla/Ultraman/Pacific Rim wet dreams.

Red M3nace on
    red-m3nace.png
    Hey, BT news! XTRO Primitives IV is coming out soon. Sexy art preview here:

http://catalystgamelabs.tumblr.com/post/101265927696/xtro-primitives-iv-art-preview

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hey, BT news! XTRO Primitives IV is coming out soon. Sexy art preview here:

http://catalystgamelabs.tumblr.com/post/101265927696/xtro-primitives-iv-art-preview

Never heard of either of those 'mechs, but the second one looks great.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    According to a quick Sarna search, the Swordsman doesn't exist in canon yet. I like the look, sort of like a Warhammer with hand actuators and more shoulder guns. Curious to know what weight it's at.

The Emperor's looking pretty swanky.

Swordsman looks big. Looks like LRM-5, Gauss, and two large lasers (who knows what type). That'd definitely make it a strong fire support 'mech.

Emperor looks like a descendent of the Rifleman and/or Jagermech. Pretty sure those are some type of autocannon.

A 90 ton jumping shotgun mech
    isn't exactly a Rifffflemang. Nonetheless, it's a pretty swanky mech.

Tox wrote: »
    Swordsman looks big. Looks like LRM-5, Gauss, and two large lasers (who knows what type). That'd definitely make it a strong fire support 'mech.

Emperor looks like a descendent of the Rifleman and/or Jagermech. Pretty sure those are some type of autocannon.

I was thinking the Swordsman looked pretty small, because the weapon systems are so large/exposed in comparison to the rest of the mech. I'm thinking top of the medium/low end of heavy weight range. Some good long range firepower with a handful of medium lasers (arm/torso mounted) for backup, but rather light on the armor.

Then I remembered this is BattleTech, where the weights are made up, and scale doesn't matter.

Quickie today. Dallas couldn't come today - good thing Chris C brought extras!

~2000 BV per player, Jihad era, no Clantech.

Me: Awesome AWS-9Q
    Chris F: Akuma AKU-1X
    versus
    Chris C: Archangel Comminus, Malak Invictus (w/ MD pilot)

This was not an easy match, what with my opponent getting +1 to his initiative. The first few turns saw us trying to close the distance and it took 'til Turn 4ish for the first shots to be fired. Mister Wobbie used his C3i to good effect along with the Archangel's ECM countering my own. In about two turns the Akuma was knocked over along with the pilot getting KO'd... then I PPC'd the Archangel in the face.

The Malak managed to finish the job and soon it came down to his 7/11 against my 3/5-with-a-blind-spot. Somehow I managed to reliably hit my one-PPC rolls at point blank but missed half of a four-PPC strike at 4+. He landed quite a few hits against my rear left torso but it didn't claim more than one of my DHSs. Soon I won an initiative that let me crack open his center torso.

Fun fact: I was going to take a Marauder-7D until I dropped my go-box (a little plastic container with my dice and room for a mini or two) and my model came off the base at its ankles. So I took my Plan B choice (or plan A for AWESOME) instead. Funny how things work, eh?

With that, we'll be moving on to a new campaign in the coming weeks. Chris F is still soliciting suggestions for era and faction. He and I would like to keep it to a more manageable 3025 tech level as opposed to what we've been rolling thus far (Heat management? What's that?).

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Forgot to write about last weekend's game. (Not this last weekend, the one before.)

Me: Phoenix Hawk PHX-7S, Shootist ST-8A
    versus
    Chris F: Guillotine GLT-3N, Caesar CES-3R

The match got off to quite the start. We deployed on opposite sides of fortification (this one, at the top) with much dancing around it to deny LoS. When I finally got some shots off I managed to crit the head of the Caesar. Didn't take out the Cockpit, just the Sensors and a Life Support. The real kicker is that it fell down that turn, three levels.

Into water. With a breached head. *faceriver*

The Guillotine managed to fend off my Phoenix Hawk and Shootist pretty well for itself, mostly by keeping the Shootist out of the way so he was only engaging one 'Mech at a time. He caught up eventually and, now actually facing two-on-one odds, he surrendered.

This was sort of a lesson for our upcoming campaign. The breached Caesar was an example of the ideal battlefield salvage while the Guillotine's surrender had a blurb about the heirloom nature of BattleMechs during the Late Succession Wars - better to give up the 'Mech and pay back the ransom than wreck my precious Phoenix Hawk that's been in the family for over 150 years.

Finally, just over three weeks ago, Dallas had to go to the hospital and wound up in surgery for a cyst in his head. We're wishing him a clean and speedy recovery and hoping he'll be back with us this weekend.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Where the activity at?

Finally got our campaign started. We are under House Marik and the Free Worlds League during the 3025 era. This way we actually have to take heat into consideration but don't have to worry so much about strategic-level logistics.

Me: Phoenix Hawk PHX-1. Excellent pilot and scout - 4/4 skills and I get two once-per-game re-rolls, one for a DFA to-hit and one for any Piloting check. My 'Mech also has a 600% higher rate of replacement for lower leg actuators than any other 'Mech on the rolls which is drawing suspicion from Command.
    Dallas: Hunchback HBK-4G. 3/5 skills and a once-per-game re-roll to To-Hit for his AC/20.
    Chris C: Enforcer ENF-4R. Family connections give him a non-standard weapon for his 'Mech - in this case, the Enforcer's standard AC/10 is replaced with a vintage LB-10X AC, a second ton of slug ammo stuffed into the freed-up weight. He also has uncanny predictive abilities, giving his side +1 to initiative while in his 'Mech... when he's not going on about a future full of nuke-happy religious zealots or exo-Sphere invaders (what the hell is a Jade Falcon?).
    Chris F: The game master. Dispenser of story and operator of OPFOR.

---

Our first battle is part of a larger takeover on a planet. Our lance (filled out by an NPC Trebuchet) is tasked with taking and holding a supply depot. It's occupied but we have no intel on composition or disposition. Local time is early evening. We roll off to see who is Lance Commander... turns out it's me.

There's a Wasp, a Quickdraw and something else I don't remember. The Wasp gets a bit too close to Dallas who nails it in the arm with his AC/20 - what's left of it jumps into the depot to shut down. Taking the poor light's place is a Phoenix Hawk (so yes there's one on each side). Things go a bit south at this point as we find ourselves unable to maintain fire on a single target. Eventually we strip the 'Mech-I-can't-remember of most of its armor buuut not before losing our Trebuchet to an ammo explosion. (Successful ejection, thankfully.)

A bit later, the defenders open comms to parlay. Most of their 'Mechs are pretty beat up and they wish to call a cease-fire. The depot is to be turned over to us on the condition that we allow the defenders to leave. We accept on the condition that said defenders exclude themselves from any retaliatory action.

---

One-and-a-half days later (a.k.a. two weeks for us in meatspace) we've held down the objective. While our ammo is replenished there's still quite a few scratches on our 'Mechs. Our poor NPC (and his poor Trebuchet's corpse, I hope) have been shipped out but there's little chance of reinforcements for us. Just after sunrise, the base's sensors pick up three radar contacts. Enemy Battlemechs, all medium. We crank the engines and deploy to find a Griffin and two Trebuchets entering the combat zone. They offer a chance to leave without conflict. We refuse. It's on.

Dallas's Hunchback is our rally 'Mech and we stick close for two turns until we can get within range. Sensing that Griffin is trouble, I use my Phoenix Hawk's jump abilities to draw it away while the others take on the trenchbuckets. Unfortunately the Trebbies' aim is frighteningly true and our Enforcer takes an ammo hit - while Chris ejects safely his rare toy doesn't fare so well. Meanwhile I run up behind a hill only to look up and see the bottom of the Griffin's foot right before it slams into my Phoenix Hawk's face. Dallas wisely decides to raise the white flag.

We leave with our lives and most of our 'Mechs. Dallas's Hunchback is mostly untouched. My Phoenix Hawk's head is a relatively quick replacement. Chris's Enforcer is toast, especially the LB-10, but we bring the carcass back so the enemy doesn't know we're bringing Lostech to the party. He also may have a replacement lined up already. Word from Command is ours was hardly the only lost battle.

---

So yeah. First battle was pretty neat and we all had a good laugh at me going "Command's not gonna like this..." when I lost our Trebuchet buddy. Second battle was over in barely an hour and I am never going to let Chris C tell me I'm not going last when we win the initiative unless I know I'm not getting a fifty-ton boot to the head.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    So i was in my local game store, came across a new addition.
    Robotech Tactics!
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/139769/robotech-rpg-tactics

So if you need some old school Marauders, Warhammers and Riflemen, this is your ticket with the unit packs they sell for it.

kx3klFE.png
    Hope my store gets some in. I'm not even gonna make them into 'Mechs.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited January 2015
    Due to the difference between Robotech and Battletech, the Marauders a very large compared to BT's mechs. The Riflemen and Warhammers are the right size.

On second thought, I wonder how teh Marauders would fit in with my CAVs.

Finally the Robotech Tactics minis come in a preposterous number of pieces because apparently Harmony Gold has no conception of the difference between minis for a game and scale models.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    Hey thread. It's been a while. Hope you all had a good holiday!
    Due to the difference between Robotech and Battletech, the Marauders a very large compared to BT's mechs. The Riflemen and Warhammers are the right size.

So much this. I think even the "Rifleman" and "Warhammer" models are a bit too oversized compared to BT models, but unless you're bothered by scale (which, if you've played BT for long enough, you shouldn't be) it's probably not a big deal. Maybe
    Finally the Robotech Tactics minis come in a preposterous number of pieces because apparently Harmony Gold has no conception of the difference between minis for a game and scale models.

Isn't this more on Palladium than HG though? Palladium was in charge of everything production-wise as best I understand. Frankly, I'm amazed the damn thing finally made it to market, given how the story of its production went.

On another topic: I was trying to paint my Com Guard lance/level 2 before the holidays, and it was starting to drive me batty. I'm trying to go for something like this, with strong whites and clean black lines, but I was having trouble finding a good technique. I think I may have to start this lance over (four different mechs all have slightly different looks, none of which match that image), or just accept I'm still a shit painter and move on. Help?

So is this the thread wherein we discuss battlemechs we've designed and evolved over the course of the game? Because that'd be awesome.

So is this the thread wherein we discuss battlemechs we've designed and evolved over the course of the game? Because that'd be awesome.

Why wouldn't it be? Sounds awesome.

steam_sig.png

Why wouldn't it be? Sounds awesome.

Doubly agreed. Heck, I made a custom Cataphract all the way back on page 1. Bring on the customs, I say!

Extra points if you post a pic of a kitbashed mini for it. :D

Activity! Excellent.

We had another campaign battle today. Dallas's Hunchie was fixed and my Phoenix Hawk's head was successfully replaced. Chris C's Enforcer was toast but they managed to get a Valkyrie to him. NPC lancemate has a new Trebuchet waiting for him at Regimental HQ, conveniently where we've been relocated... but we'll have to make the journey on foot.

Cruisin' down the highway, we suddenly come upon radar contact... two Jenners, K-model. They're speedy with their 7/11/5 movement but we manage to deal heavy damage to one. Then in comes a third radar contact, a Trebuchet. (We've been seeing a lot of those lately.) Fun fact: when they replaced my head they used parts from that depot we held for a day and a half... which started picking up encoded transmissions in Japanese?

Things start getting hairy when I take two crits to my left torso pod and one to my engine. Dallas loses his AC/20 with over half its ammo left and, prone on the ground, he risks dumping the remaining shells. This is when the dice start favoring Chris and he finally starts landing some hits. One Jenner loses its CT and falls down. Soon we get an ammo hit on the Treb - this is kind of a theme, now - but Dallas and Chris take some damage from the Stackpole effect. The final Jenner tries to withdraw and manages to scamper away before our Valk and P-Hawk can land a crippling hit on it. Still, we're alive and our 'Mechs are still mostly functional.

HQ rushes a truck to nab the Jenner before double-timing to our destination. We're out of order for at least two weeks while Command researches the remains of the Jen and the intercepted transmissions. Why, in the time around Anton's Rebellion, are we seeing incursions obviously by the Draconis Combine? Dun dun dunnn.

Exchange of the day, after downing the first Jenner:
    -Chris F: How much ammo do you have left, Dallas?
    -Dallas: Six shots.
    -Chris C: Hmm, running a bit low.
    -Me: Hey, he's still got as much ammo left as we have enemy left.
    -<laughtrack>

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Hey thread. It's been a while. Hope you all had a good holiday!

So much this. I think even the "Rifleman" and "Warhammer" models are a bit too oversized compared to BT models, but unless you're bothered by scale (which, if you've played BT for long enough, you shouldn't be) it's probably not a big deal. Maybe

Isn't this more on Palladium than HG though? Palladium was in charge of everything production-wise as best I understand. Frankly, I'm amazed the damn thing finally made it to market, given how the story of its production went.

On another topic: I was trying to paint my Com Guard lance/level 2 before the holidays, and it was starting to drive me batty. I'm trying to go for something like this, with strong whites and clean black lines, but I was having trouble finding a good technique. I think I may have to start this lance over (four different mechs all have slightly different looks, none of which match that image), or just accept I'm still a shit painter and move on. Help?

And Archers! The destroids are well scaled to btech, the officer's pod is much bigger, but certainly usuable. Not sure what what I'm going to do with all these ostscouts.

l7n41RV.png
  • ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    So, I need some advice on how to simplify or speed up turns. Tried a lance vs lance fight with my wife, and while I think she enjoyed it I also think it was a little overwhelming. I don't know if it was due to us still getting the rules down without having to look stuff up or just too many units, but what is a good way to start things out? We played a 1v1 introductory setup, but there wasn't a lot of tactical thinking for that; you just walk into range and shoot each other, while with a few more units I noticed I was more likely to think about overall positioning of my unit and not just one mech.

So far we've started putting dice/tiles next to units to show their to-hit modifier, which I think helped plan stuff out, but I also fudged a bit and let us take turns shooting instead of having all the units declare their fire before going unit by unit, because that seemed like a lot of book-keeping. What's the best way to handle that?

Dice showing to-hit modifier for movement is good. Many groups also use a colored-die system, to differentiate walk/run/jump.

Declaring all units' fire then resolving attacks is super slow, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it this way. Every group I've ever played with declares and resolves attacks for each unit as it comes up in the initiative order.

Get one of those sheets of compiled tables; having everything on the front/back of a single sheet is super helpful.

Memorize the Front Hit-Location table. It's not that hard, comes up 80% of the time, and makes resolving most attacks super fast.

Speed comes with experience. The more you play, the quicker the game will move.

• ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yeah I figured. We have the introductory box, which comes with really nice and sturdy cheat sheets with pretty much every table needed for normal gameplay on it. I'll keep doing shooting the way I was then, because like you said the "correct" way seems like a pain in the butt. I just have to figure out how to introduce things slowly so its still fun, because I caved and got Total Warfare and TacOps b/c I have played battletech PC games since 1995 and read the books when I was young, and now finally able to play the tabletop game is just dragging me in.

edit: And while I'm thinking about it, any suggestions for good places to buy new mechs? I've heard ebay is the place to go and haven't had a chance to really look yet. I just know Iron Wind seems really expensive, and was hoping to find something cheaper/in plastic, since it seems they're going that way with the introductory box.

Threelemmings on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Cardboard mechs is the way to go. Battallions at your fingertips and your only limited by the ink in your printer so long as ypuve digitized them.

Minis are far superior for the overall look when playing, but for games on a hex map, cheap out and play with the mechs you want.

If you just want more mechs, and dont care about obtaining different mechs, buy a second box set. Double the mechs, double the fun.

Consider Alpha Strike. Plays waaaaay faster than stock battletech, but you lose some of the gritty flavor since damage and whatnot is more abstracted. Still a great system.

kx3klFE.png
    So, there's a new canon GottaGoFast sheriff in town....or about to be, anyway.

Sneak Peak of XTRO: Most Wanted

If I'm reading that right:
    Walk: 16
    Run: 24 (32/40)

Woooof.

Supercharger and MASC.

I love it.

Actually I mostly like that combo because you can alternate between the two each round and your modifier never goes about...3? whatever the lowest is, meaning you have relatively little chance of problems.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular

Woooof.

Make the masc, supercharger roll, fail turning on road roll - going to need a couple more maps to determine where you end up. (Or alteratively, how to get out of longtom range in a single turn).

l7n41RV.png
    edited January 2015
    Tigliss wrote: »

Woooof.

Make the masc, supercharger roll, fail turning on road roll - going to need a couple more maps to determine where you end up. (Or alteratively, how to get out of longtom range in a single turn).

Now I can't help but envision a mech with movement like that, and a skid-plate for its back armor. Haul ass down the straight-away, then drop into an intentional slide for maximum whooooooosh.

Nips on
    Oh, hey thread.

New upcoming releases from IWM.
    tumblr_inline_nihlgeJD661s9c9hj.jpg

New King Crab model. Yeeesssssssss.

Yep. King Crab (DA), Shockwave, Malice and Carronade.

...I want to get a Shockwave and paint it purple.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited February 2015
    So let me regale you all with a story. This is a very dumb story, with a very dumb origin, an unknown ending, and it makes me happy in a very dumb way.

In a few weeks, a good friend of mine is having a blow-the-roof-off-the-doors tabletop gaming party for his birthday (Part 2 of my friend's 2015 Birthday Procession Of Parties). He expressed a deep and abiding interest in playing some Battletech or Alpha Strike, and has set aside special time for it. In describing what he wants (since I'm a purveyor of Tabletop Funtimes with regards to all things Stompy), I came up with a satisfactory proposal that I think he'll enjoy.

We're going to play Alpha Strike, in the interest of having a fast-moving StompyBot game for a bunch of new players. We're also going to play it in the style of a Grinder. A Grinder, for those that have never played (or read my earlier post), starts with each player assigned to a random Light mech. The game then starts and proceeds as a free-for-all arena deathmatch. As players' Mechs are dropped, players score points, and the dropped Mechs are replaced with increasingly heavier and more dangerous models. By the time it's all said and done, there'll be Atlases and Daishis and Behemoths blowing gaping holes in the battlefield. Good, clean fun.

I've set about compiling the list of Mechs for the Grinder, using my collection of miniatures as a baseline (I'm a fan of WYSIWYG, even if only loosely). Here's where the dumb starts to creep in.

The following are the Mechs being lined up for the starter, Light-weight category:
    Locust
    Panther
    Jenner
    Commando
    Spider
    Mongoose
    Cicada
    ForestryMech MOD

Can you see the dumb yet? Oh, it gets better.

As I'm going over the options available to me (The Master Unit List and Sarna continue to deliver, BTW) an "interesting" problem appears; that ForestryMech MOD is severely outclassed. But of course it is! It's an IndustrialMech, playing in the sandbox with big boy BattleMechs. Even with a combat refit, it's not going to hang long when actual weapons start coring it out.

Even acknowledging and accepting this, there's a problem: the MUL doesn't have an Alpha Strike card, at least for the variant I want. Apparently, there's some weirdness with the ForestryMech. The Crosscut industrial ForestryMech, as detailed in more the most recent supplements, isn't an exact analog to the ForestryMech MOD originally printed in the Dark Ages supplement. I'm looking for two things: a Chainsaw in the Right Arm, and an AC/2 in the Left Arm. None of the Crosscut variants are armed this way. Dilemma.

Here's where more dumb creeps in: I set myself to creating the Alpha Strike version of the Mech. Using the Companion and the TRO stats for the original ForestryMech MOD, I compile the conversion from Battletech to Alpha Strike for my little Ash-wanna-be. After an hour of number crunching (seriously, it's almost rocket science, eugh), I had my baby.

I present, for your review and ridicule, the ForestryMech MOD for Alpha Strike as originally intended.
    Custom image courtesy of the Alpha Strike Card Generator on the MUL. Seriously, that site kicks all kinds of ass.
    ForestryMechMODCustom.png

I'm going to preface this next bit just a touch: I know the conversion may not be perfect. I was flying through the conversion rules, going as fast as I could to crank this out. It still took an hour. I think it's close, and at least close enough for my taste.

So let me give you a tour of just how dumb this Unit is. First off, it's a Light mech that's no faster than some of the slowest Assault-class chassis. It couldn't catch up to a Panther, let alone a real scout mech, in its wildest dreams; it's just that slow. Compounding this, the Mech only has the thinnest hint of reach as it mounts only an AC/2 for ranged combat. Believe it or not, this is more reach than almost every other ForestryMech variant! (One or two variants mount a pile of one-shot Rocket Launchers, which I think is hysterically funny, and I'm totally kitbashing a model for that at some point).

See those damage numbers? 0*? Due to the way damage scaling works in Alpha Strike, a lone AC/2 just doesn't do straight-up damage; it's not damaging enough. It has a 50% chance at causing damage. So say I roll to attack, and hit with my ranged attack. I then also have to roll a four or better on a d6 just to cause a single point of damage. By comparison, most Light mechs have damage values of 1/1/0 (short/medium/long) and up, and the Panther's a beast at 2/2/1. To make this near-utter lack of range capability even more useless, the ForestryMech comes equipped with only a Basic Fire Control (BFC) system, meaning it suffers a +1 penalty to all its ranged attacks. Ever wanted to fire an AC/2 free-hand, over iron sights? The ForestryMech MOD has you covered!

Another fine "feature" of this bucket is its Elemental Engine (e.g. it uses an ICE engine). Pray you don't take any Engine Hit criticals. A Fusion engine can shrug some of that off, whereas an EE-equipped unit might just randomly explode on any future turn you fire any weapons. It's only one-in-thirty-six odds though, so I'm sure it'll never come up.... [EDIT] BTW! IndustrialMechs, by rule, take two critical hits instead of one when their internal structure is damaged. Soooo......who wants roasted Forestrymech? Cripes.

So how does a Unit, so handicapped by its very nature, stand to compete? Well, the Chainsaw (MEL) gives it bonus damage in melee combat, which can go south quickly for other light Mechs. And it's fractionally more durable than most light mechs, by virtue of its 35 ton frame and somewhat-manageable armor. But even these aren't enough, and we need to bring in the big X-factor here. Here's where it goes from dumb, to just the dumberest:

This Mech is piloted by literally the best BattleMech pilot in the known universe.

See that Skill value of Zero (0)? This walking death-trap is being piloted by a Legendary pilot, literally the best skilled pilot you can have in the Alpha Strike system. With what amounts to a base Gunnery and Piloting skills of 0, this God Among MechWarriors might, just might, stand a fighting chance against the rest of the average-to-skilled pilots in the other Light mechs in the lineup.

And that's why this is just the dumbest thing. I apologize in advance to the player that ends up random rolling into this thing, but god damn is it going to be funny to watch.

I'll be sure to bring a full battle report once the game is done.

Nips on