As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

urban [chat]

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    WTF is wrong with me now? Confronting anxiety? :confused:

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I definitely feel I would not like to live anywhere smaller than San Francisco in the near future.

Chicago feels perfect for me right now. If I were somewhere a bit more suburban I would start to feel suffocated pretty quickly.

I may be relatively strange, though, in that I feel much more comfortable being surrounded by people, even strangers.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I find being in rural areas is worse for me

the hustle and bustle of the city means there's always something to distract you from yourself if you need it

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    There's a big difference between "the city" in the sense of a town of 50,000+ people and "the city" in terms of NYC.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I definitely feel I would not like to live anywhere smaller than San Francisco in the near future.

Chicago feels perfect for me right now. If I were somewhere a bit more suburban I would start to feel suffocated pretty quickly.

I may be relatively strange, though, in that I feel much more comfortable being surrounded by people, even strangers.

surrounded but with zero expectation of having to actually socially interact

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

the hustle and bustle of the city means there's always something to distract you from yourself if you need it

Terrible for me. I like quiet. Nothing makes me feel better than coming up on a waterfall and lake and hear nothing but birds and running water.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    There's a big difference between "the city" in the sense of a town of 50,000+ people and "the city" in terms of NYC.

I loved living in Chicago and San Fran but the few times I visited NYC I got the sense that it was not for me.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    living where i am now, i begin to see the massive appeal of owning a car- anywhere, anytime. it's seriously liberating, having gotten around on p good public transportation in philly and amazing transit in nyc. that said, the massive downside is having to be actively engaged in getting to and from work. being able to read or daydream on my commute- and my commute being p short- was absolutely delightful.

you know, i miss not needing a car now that i'm back in a commutersphere.

and now that my car is deadsies it's infuriating not being able to get down.

i think i'd like to find a place to live that has a nice balance between public transport and cars. we're a one car family right now which isn't exactly feasible, I have to get to work an hour early and i have to stay about two hours late waiting for my ride.

Cars are terrible.

Horse for the post ebolpocalypse

The perfect living situation: all culture and restaurants and jobs are within 5-20 minutes walk / rail

But for some reason there is also an Autobahn that you need to drive 100 mph on once in a while

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

My parents, who still live in the town I grew up in that has exactly 0 streetlights, always talked about how city living is awful because you have no privacy because it's so crowded.

I've actually found the exact opposite to be true. There are so many people in the city they just don't give a fuck about you whereas, in small towns, your business becomes everybody else's pretty quickly.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Chu get in shape so when I come visit you we can hike massive mountains

poo
  • Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    dog gas is worst gas.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I loved living in Chicago and San Fran but the few times I visited NYC I got the sense that it was not for me.

I think I'd quite like Boston or NYC, though the weather would irritate me. Boulder's delightful, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I think I'd quite like Boston or NYC, though the weather would irritate me. Boulder's delightful, though.

Boulder is cool. I really enjoyed the time I was there (2008-2010), but I feel like if I went back I wouldn't like it. It's very much a college town with a few options for the adults that live there. I would do Denver though.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    something i appreciate about cars is that- assuming no inclement weather which is miserable for both transit-ers and drivers- if you wake up 2 minutes late, you get to work 2 minutes late. i hated, when commuting, being subject to the scheduled of transit. on an arterial NYC subway line it wasn't so bad, due to the sheer volume of trains. but sometimes you need a bus or you are visiting friends and need to take a train back into the city or you're traveling at 1am in which case the schedule has slowed. and missing a train or bus by a minute in that situation is so goddamned frustrating because now you're 19 more minutes behind schedule.

i like that with a car you can say 'i want to be somewhere else' and work to make it happen (with the obvious caveats of traffic etc)

• Options
    we went down the country for a friend's birthday where they had rented out the singular local pub

getting there was quaint

"go to the crossroads"
    "which crossroads?"
    "the only crossroads"

• Options
    i like driving cars but i do not like owning them

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    bowen wrote: »

Terrible for me. I like quiet. Nothing makes me feel better than coming up on a waterfall and lake and hear nothing but birds and running water.

7t6wf6s9dn9l.jpg

This is like a one hour drive and a 4 mile hike from the city.

I feel like what you are saying about coming to a waterfall and experiencing silence is just as true for people in rural places - just because they CAN doesn't mean they WILL... and unless you live in a cabin in the woods you probably have some manner of commute to the truly pretty places anyways.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Today I found out that there might be something new to find out next week.

Bah. The thing is that I won't actually run out of money if I have to spend "all of my money". Because I keep my money like I keep my sharp objects: Everywhere and within reach.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Man, I hate having a car.

When I was working on live ons I would take the greyhound to the boat and then my other job was walking distance from my house. Cars are crazy expensive if you don't need em.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    If we had zip car or something that'd be ideal.

Pick one up at home, drive to work, drop it off. Pick it up from work, drive back to town, drop it off.

Or if they put a damn bus route along the highway route. Our bus system is a joke out here if you need to go anywhere other than walmart.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i like driving cars but i do not like owning them

hlbeymifg1hn.gif

The best

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    dog gas is worst gas.

Hang out with me after a protein bar.

Yeesh.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

7t6wf6s9dn9l.jpg

I feel like what you are saying about coming to a waterfall and experiencing silence is just as true for people in rural places - just because they CAN doesn't mean they WILL... and unless you live in a cabin in the woods you probably have some manner of commute to the truly pretty places anyways.

Basically, there are doers and loafers, both species exist in any environment.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    something i appreciate about cars is that- assuming no inclement weather which is miserable for both transit-ers and drivers- if you wake up 2 minutes late, you get to work 2 minutes late. i hated, when commuting, being subject to the scheduled of transit. on an arterial NYC subway line it wasn't so bad, due to the sheer volume of trains. but sometimes you need a bus or you are visiting friends and need to take a train back into the city or you're traveling at 1am in which case the schedule has slowed. and missing a train or bus by a minute in that situation is so goddamned frustrating because now you're 19 more minutes behind schedule.

i like that with a car you can say 'i want to be somewhere else' and work to make it happen (with the obvious caveats of traffic etc)

This is very true.

Though, one thing I like about being tied to the L is that, at least in near-North Chicago, it rather enhances city exploration as you can just kind of get off at a stop and there'll likely be interesting places within walking distance as they tend to cluster around those nodes.

For fun sometimes I'll just get off at a random stop and check out what's in the immediate vicinity.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The AV Club have an article up imploring Marvel not to cancel She Hulk. Nice, but probably too late.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    living where i am now, i begin to see the massive appeal of owning a car- anywhere, anytime. it's seriously liberating, having gotten around on p good public transportation in philly and amazing transit in nyc. that said, the massive downside is having to be actively engaged in getting to and from work. being able to read or daydream on my commute- and my commute being p short- was absolutely delightful.

just drive a fun car

• Options
    i don't like looking at a menu thinking 'can i afford that' so i just don't go out frequently enough where that would happen

it's my pax east philosophy: do things rarely enough that when you do them you don't need to be frugal

i don't know if my spirit, nowadays, could handle 4-5 days per week of meeting friends for food and drinks

that lack of restraint is probably indicative of some emotional immaturity on my part but man, it fills me w/ anxiety

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

My parents, who still live in the town I grew up in that has exactly 0 streetlights, always talked about how city living is awful because you have no privacy because it's so crowded.

I've actually found the exact opposite to be true. There are so many people in the city they just don't give a fuck about you whereas, in small towns, your business becomes everybody else's pretty quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGXFw60PO7U

Damnit, couldn't find a video of the actual scene but imagine I did

• Options

It depends what kind of privacy they want.

It's probably talking about "sitting outside and relaxing and having a drink" when most old people talk about it. If you do something like that in NYC, you'll probably be arrested, or you'll definitely have people going "what the fuck?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

awful

• Options

It's probably talking about "sitting outside and relaxing and having a drink" when most old people talk about it. If you do something like that in NYC, you'll probably be arrested, or you'll definitely have people going "what the fuck?"

you ain't about that stoop life?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

if you start drinking in the street in my town you'd be arrested too

unless you have an estate stop trying to drink on the stoop

you're not a bum

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    i don't like looking at a menu thinking 'can i afford that' so i just don't go out frequently enough where that would happen

it's my pax east philosophy: do things rarely enough that when you do them you don't need to be frugal

i don't know if my spirit, nowadays, could handle 4-5 days per week of meeting friends for food and drinks

that lack of restraint is probably indicative of some emotional immaturity on my part but man, it fills me w/ anxiety

i usually have 1-3 nights home a week depending on what is happening

i probably eat lunch out every day, and meet people/go out with vangirl 2-4 times a week, then i have 1-2 nights of hanging out scheduled, usually games or poetry readings

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cars are fun.

Ya'll a bunch of haters.

• Options
    of course the alternative is to do well enough financially that i can spend w-e i want at restaurants and bars as often as i wish to visit them : )

• Options

1) Many buildings have rooftops. They are perfect for this.

2) many outdoor / sidewalk cafes on slower streets give you nice scenery, some relative calm, and a place to sip on a tasty beverage.

I am not knocking the porch - I enjoy my time on the porch with my dad and some whiskey quite a lot - but there are most definitely replacements for it here. Not the same, but good in their own way.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

7t6wf6s9dn9l.jpg

That seems like it's a ledge in the midst of a town/city. Not really the kind of nature I'm talking about. But yeah for me to get to that kind of nature it's 1.5 hour drive. Adirondacks isn't super far from me. Certainly a step up from a ledge overlooking farm land.

• Options
    U R the wurst

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ... that's a vista off the Appalachian trail.

edit: and the hike we took to get there was pretty damn interesting and naturey.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    they should just pave over nature it's not like it's doing anything useful

This discussion has been closed.